Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

19 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You know this doesn’t have much to do with anything, but I discovered that The first two seasons of “Scooby Doo where are you?” are on Tubi for free And have been having fun going down memory lane.

And yet, I’ve been watching the “terror at the big top” episode with the EVIL HYPNOTIZING GHOST CLOWN, and that guy straight up tries to MURDER Daphne, Scooby and Shaggy- twice in fact for the latter two. 

I hope they put that dude away for a couple dimes after he was unmasked, not just because of the three counts of attempted murder but also the fact that he was really ****ing  scary.

(I’m on my phone and can’t post pictures, I think it’s safe to say that one night Stephen King snorted a couple of rails, watched this episode, and then wrote IT.)

I have seen an episode of that! I am sorry to say that I do not recall the name or a great many details. It is the one where they believe there is a supernatural monster but it is then revealed to be merely a person with a scary mask. 

Do you know which episode that is?

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I have seen an episode of that! I am sorry to say that I do not recall the name or a great many details. It is the one where they believe there is a supernatural monster but it is then revealed to be merely a person with a scary mask. 

Do you know which episode that is?

Doesn’t ring a single bell, sorry. You must be thinking of THE JEFFERSONS.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You know this doesn’t have much to do with anything, but I discovered that The first two seasons of “Scooby Doo where are you?” are on Tubi for free And have been having fun going down memory lane.

Actually, there WERE only two proper seasons of Scooby Doo, Where Are You? before it morphed into the guest-celebrity "New Scooby-Doo Movies" in the third season (and no, the Sonny & Cher episode is still in rights limbo), and then...the Scrappy years.  Unless the season with Scooby's country cousin Scooby-Dum was in between, I forget my chronology.

And it was the network that insisted on the rubber masks, since there were no teen ghost-detectives on Saturday-morning yet, and S&P dictated all mysteries had to show that there was no actual threatening supernatural element....Apart from the Funky Phantom, of course.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I hope they called the episode “HAMMERTIME.”

That would be a great title, but who would believe that a cop would hit himself with a hammer

to make it look like self-defense. :)

• Thanks 1
On 6/3/2021 at 8:39 AM, Swithin said:

Tay Garnett specialized in films that take place on shipboard in exotic locales

Not always: he also did Mrs. Parkington (who I always think should have had an affair with Mr. Skeffington).

• Haha 1

Right now, I'm watching Dolores Hart's 36-minute Oscar nominated documentary, "God is the Bigger Elvis."  Sister (Mother?) Dolores Hart discusses her career and her life as a Roman Catholic Benedictine nun at a monastery in Connecticut.  While (obviously) she's older (she's in her 80s now, but early 70s in the documentary), her voice is still recognizable. 

As someone who is not religious in the slightest bit (but don't begrudge those who are, as long as they don't force their religion upon me), it's fascinating to me that Hart gave up her career at its peak.  I wonder how far her career would have gone had she not answered her calling to be a nun. 

SOURCE: HBO Max 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Right now, I'm watching Dolores Hart's 36-minute Oscar nominated documentary, "God is the Bigger Elvis."  Sister (Mother?) Dolores Hart discusses her career and her life as a Roman Catholic Benedictine nun at a monastery in Connecticut.  While (obviously) she's older (she's in her 80s now, but early 70s in the documentary), her voice is still recognizable. 

As someone who is not religious in the slightest bit (but don't begrudge those who are, as long as they don't force their religion upon me), it's fascinating to me that Hart gave up her career at its peak.  I wonder how far her career would have gone had she not answered her calling to be a nun. 

I'm not gonna watch the nun doc but I did watch "Where the Boys Are" a while back and it was a fascinating portrait of attitudes and sexual mores at the very moment they were changing.  On the one hand, there's the very idea that college kids would go on spring break looking for sex, something that Hollywood would never have dreamed of showing just a few years before.  On the other hand, Paula Prentiss gives a whole speech about how she's going to college specifically to find a husband so that she can pop out babies, and the one girl in the foursome who does have sex is punished with rape.

• Sad 1
13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

As someone who is not religious in the slightest bit (but don't begrudge those who are, as long as they don't force their religion on me....

“ARMAGEDDON IS ALMOST UPON US!”

”I got news for you, it’s already here.”

”But your SOULS are IN DANGER!!!!”

”OUR LIVES are in DANGER, YA BEATNIK!!!”

[slams front door in the man’s face]

• Haha 1

I watched 2 1/2 of the Jane Austen movies on TCM last night(fell asleep during the third one).  As a guy, I haven't had a ton of exposure to Jane Austen, although I had seen Pride and Prejudice before. One thing I take away from those movies are they are pretty complicated. My favorite of last night's three movies would have been Pride and Prejudice as I liked the interplay with Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier. Also, any time I see Edna May Oliver in a movie, I am happy.

10 hours ago, Vidor said:

I'm not gonna watch the nun doc but I did watch "Where the Boys Are" a while back and it was a fascinating portrait of attitudes and sexual mores at the very moment they were changing.  On the one hand, there's the very idea that college kids would go on spring break looking for sex, something that Hollywood would never have dreamed of showing just a few years before.  On the other hand, Paula Prentiss gives a whole speech about how she's going to college specifically to find a husband so that she can pop out babies, and the one girl in the foursome who does have sex is punished with rape.

I love “Where the Boys Are.”  It’s one of my favorite films. I agree that its attitudes about sex are very progressive, especially for 1960. I liked the different viewpoints presented re: sex. Melanie has the toughest go at it, when she goes way too fast with Franklin and thinks they’re in love. When in reality, Franklin too went down to Florida to get laid and does. 

I think Dolores Hart’s character, Merritt, is the most interesting as she talks a big game about sex that one would assume she’s experienced, but ultimately is tested by George Hamilton when he wants to take their acquaintance to the next level.

I think the frank discussion about sex makes Dolores Hart’s decision to become a cloistered nun in a monastery even more interesting. While I realize that she wasn’t always a nun, to know that she became one after being in films like ‘Boys,’ and “King Creole,” is very interesting to me. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I love “Where the Boys Are.”  It’s one of my favorite films. I agree that its attitudes about sex are very progressive, especially for 1960. I liked the different viewpoints presented re: sex. Melanie has the toughest go at it, when she goes way too fast with Franklin and thinks they’re in love. When in reality, Franklin too went down to Florida to get laid and does. 

I think Dolores Hart’s character, Merritt, is the most interesting as she talks a big game about sex that one would assume she’s experienced, but ultimately is tested by George Hamilton when he wants to take their acquaintance to the next level.

I think the frank discussion about sex makes Dolores Hart’s decision to become a cloistered nun in a monastery even more interesting. While I realize that she wasn’t always a nun, to know that she became one after being in films like ‘Boys,’ and “King Creole,” is very interesting to me. 

I am also a fan of WHERE THE BOYS ARE.  When I watched it for the first time, I was expecting a fun, fluff  movie ---- which I was totally on board with ---- but was surprised that it turned out to be quite deep and at the same time quite a fun movie.

It is indeed very progressive for the time of the movie's release (1960) that  Merritt  (Dolores Hart's character) is unequivocally a good girl yet expresses a belief that under the right circumstances that it's okay for a girl to have pre-marital sex. (She's sent to the dean's office for saying this in a class discussion on "interpersonal relations" at her  university -- which appears to be an all girls school).  I thought of the Mary Richards character from THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW from the 1970s.  There's also a very  Rhoda Morgenstern quality to Connie Francis's  WHERE THE BOYS ARE character Angie.

I'm a huge fan of  Paula Prentiss (I especially love her voice) and really enjoy her scenes with Jim Hutton in the movie. 

I initially found Frank Gorshin's character (the "dialectic jazz" musician) annoying, but he grew on me. 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I am also a fan of WHERE THE BOYS ARE.  When I watched it for the first time, I was expecting a fun, fluff  movie ---- which I was totally on board with ---- but was surprised that it turned out to be quite deep and at the same time quite a fun movie.

It is indeed very progressive for the time of the movie's release (1960) that  Merritt  (Dolores Hart's character) is unequivocally a good girl yet expresses a belief that under the right circumstances that it's okay for a girl to have pre-marital sex. (She's sent to the dean's office for saying this in a class discussion on "interpersonal relations" at her  university -- which appears to be an all girls school).  I thought of the Mary Richards character from THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW from the 1970s.  There's also a very  Rhoda Morgenstern quality to Connie Francis's  WHERE THE BOYS ARE character Angie.

I'm a huge fan of  Paula Prentiss (I especially love her voice) and really enjoy her scenes with Jim Hutton in the movie. 

I initially found Frank Gorshin's character (the "dialectic jazz" musician) annoying, but he grew on me. 

Yes.  I love the teen beach movie subgenre, but Where the Boys Are definitely has more substance than Frankie and Annette's "Beach Party" movies.  I love when Merritt scandalizes the "Courtship and Marriage" (what kind of class is that anyway?) teacher with her thoughts on "backseat bingo."  I can see the correlations between Mary and Rhoda with Merritt and Angie.

Poor Connie Francis.  The movie acts like she's homely, when she's adorable and a great singer.  She even says that her parents never worry about her, because as the captain of the field hockey team, "your parents know you're safe." She even gets stuck with Frank Gorshin.  I agree that his character is a little annoying, but I guess the film needed to have some comic relief.  

And poor poor Yvette Mimieux.  Her character is the most heartbreaking in the film. 

I love Paula Prentiss too.  Before I saw 'Boys,' the only film of hers that I'd seen was The Stepford Wives.  Now I've seen her in a few films, I think all with Jim Hutton. 

Errol Flynn's son, Sean, is in this film too apparently.  I don't think he has any speaking roles.  I always try to find him and always miss him.  I believe that he's in one of the crowded beach scenes. I think he was friends with George Hamilton (?) . 

I wonder what happened to the girls when they returned to school after this very formative spring break.  I like to think that they all transferred to a more progressive college.   I wonder what the girls were majoring in. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes.  I love the teen beach movie subgenre, but Where the Boys Are definitely has more substance than Frankie and Annette's "Beach Party" movies.  I love when Merritt scandalizes the "Courtship and Marriage" (what kind of class is that anyway?) teacher with her thoughts on "backseat bingo."  I can see the correlations between Mary and Rhoda with Merritt and Angie.

Poor Connie Francis.  The movie acts like she's homely, when she's adorable and a great singer.  She even says that her parents never worry about her, because as the captain of the field hockey team, "your parents know you're safe." She even gets stuck with Frank Gorshin.  I agree that his character is a little annoying, but I guess the film needed to have some comic relief.  

And poor poor Yvette Mimieux.  Her character is the most heartbreaking in the film. 

I love Paula Prentiss too.  Before I saw 'Boys,' the only film of hers that I'd seen was The Stepford Wives.  Now I've seen her in a few films, I think all with Jim Hutton. 

Errol Flynn's son, Sean, is in this film too apparently.  I don't think he has any speaking roles.  I always try to find him and always miss him.  I believe that he's in one of the crowded beach scenes. I think he was friends with George Hamilton (?) . 

I wonder what happened to the girls when they returned to school after this very formative spring break.  I like to think that they all transferred to a more progressive college.   I wonder what the girls were majoring in. 

Yours, for $43..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sean-Flynn-cameo-Where-the-Boys-Are-RARE-Photo-/372174427539?_ul=IN

Image 1 - Sean Flynn cameo Where the Boys Are RARE Photo

And a behind-the-scenes shot, wearing the same shorts/bathing suit...

Where the Boy Was | Sean flynn, Nowhere man, George hamilton

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

“ARMAGEDDON IS ALMOST UPON US!”

”I got news for you, it’s already here.”

”But your SOULS are IN DANGER!!!!”

”OUR LIVES are in DANGER, YA BEATNIK!!!”

[slams front door in the man’s face]

You a'int just whistlin' Dixie

• Thanks 1
Just now, txfilmfan said:

Yours, for $43..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sean-Flynn-cameo-Where-the-Boys-Are-RARE-Photo-/372174427539?_ul=IN

And a behind-the-scenes shot, wearing the same shorts/bathing suit...

Interesting.  Thank you.  I'll have to look for the football guy the next time I watch the movie.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:55 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I missed it, but I will look for it on demand. I have seen it once before and it is memorable to say the least.

MAMIE gives a bad performance for the ages in this one; and RUSS TAMBLYN is THE DREAMIEST!

It's a laugh riot! I'm sorry I missed the first part this time. Uncle Fester pushing heroin........

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Vidor said:

When was this Delores Hart docu on???? I'm sorry I missed it.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, Shank Asu said:

I missed it!  One of my biggest complaints with TCM is they only show the times on ET zone schedule.  Went to watch the film to realize it had been over for an hour.

Hopefully they'll run it again soon. It's hilarious.

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

When was this Delores Hart docu on???? I'm sorry I missed it.

It wasn't on anywhere.  I watched it on HBO Max.

King of Alcatraz (1938)

Fast moving, unpretentious Paramount "B" featuring Lloyd Nolan and Robert Preston (the future Music Man's film debut) as a pair of brawling ships' wireless operators on board a tramp steamer which is overtaken by escaped convict J. Carrol Naish and his gang. The first half of the film is played largely for rambunctious laughs with Nolan and Preston as a pair of oversized kids forever squabbling over women, but the second half builds up considerable tension as the two are forced to grow up in a hurry after they find themselves, along with the rest of the ship's crew, captive to gangsters.

There's a comforting familiarity about this kind of light hearted crime drama action film, with the performances, particularly that of an understated Naish as the calculating, cold blooded convict on the run kingpin, quite good. Shades of The Unholy Three, with seemingly every cop on the planet looking for him, Naish gets aboard the ship by disguising himself as a little old lady. 

Gail Patrick, top billed in the film a bit surprisingly, plays the ship's nurse Nolan and Preston are competing for, with Harry Carey barking orders as the tramp steamer's captain. Among the familiar character actors to be seen in this film are Anthony Quinn, an unbilled Gustav Von Seyffertitz, Tom Tyler and Paul Fix as criminals, with a very young Dennis Morgan in a small role as a ship's officer.

This is the kind of film in which all plot resolutions get wrapped up in a matter of three or four screen minutes. While no one is likely to ever call King of Alcatraz a classic, it remains a fun, breezy affair and, with a running time of less than an hour, it certainly doesn't overstay its welcome. This film can currently be found at rarefilmm.com.

King of Alcatraz (King of the Alcatraz) (1938)

2.5 out of 4

• Like 2
8 hours ago, TomJH said:

understated Naish as the calculating, cold blooded convict on the run kingpin, quite good.

Understated? Wow- Naish always strikes me as super hammy, I can't even listen to his radio show. But ham is perfect for kids, as you say THE KING OF ALCATRAZ sounds like a perfect movie to ease youngsters prejudice of old B&W movies.

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It wasn't on anywhere.  I watched it on HBO Max.

HBO MAX Has been very very very smart about attaining programming that people are interested in. I know this because I don’t have it and yet theyve run any number of things I would’ve watched if I had it (ie The woody Allen and Mia Farrow documentary)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Understated? Wow- Naish always strikes me as super hammy, I can't even listen to his radio show. But ham is perfect for kids, as you say THE KING OF ALCATRAZ sounds like a perfect movie to ease youngsters prejudice of old B&W movies.

J. Carrol Naish had a radio show? In any event, yes, he very much underplays his villain role in King of Alcatraz (even when playing an old lady), bringing a more credible edge to his portrayal, I think. It's a fun little film and the print shown on rarefilmm.com only runs 53 minutes. You can do a lot worse with your time, Tiki-Soo.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

HBO MAX Has been very very very smart about attaining programming that people are interested in. I know this because I don’t have it and yet theyve run any number of things I would’ve watched if I had it (ie The woody Allen and Mia Farrow documentary)

I agree with you about HBO MAX.  I don't subscribe either but I have been tempted to based on some of the content they  offer --- such as  ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE.

• Thanks 1