Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

HBO MAX Has been very very very smart about attaining programming that people are interested in. I know this because I don’t have it and yet theyve run any number of things I would’ve watched if I had it (ie The woody Allen and Mia Farrow documentary)

I have HBO Max as part of my phone plan.  My husband had to have a hotspot, and a free HBO Max subscription came with it. Lol. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

J. Carroll Naish had a radio show? (snipped)It's a fun little film and the print shown on rarefilmm.com only runs 53 minutes. 

Yup, I listen to an old time radio show and LIFE WITH LUIGI is in rotation.

Lifeluigi.jpg

His sidekick Pasquale is Alan Reed. It was no stretch for Reed to sing in fractured Italian as Fred Flintstone, you hear it on LWL. The episodes are cringeworthy to me, but mostly because of the kind of insipid humor. I don't care for L&H for the same reason.

I do find it amazing 70 years ago we could laugh at dunderheads with accents without malice. Thanks for bringing this one up- I do love short, lighthearted movies these days.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Lifeluigi.jpg

His sidekick Pasquale is Alan Reed. It was no stretch for Reed to sing in fractured Italian as Fred Flintstone, you hear it on LWL. The episodes are cringeworthy to me, but mostly because of the kind of insipid humor. I don't care for L&H for the same reason.

I do find it amazing 70 years ago we could laugh at dunderheads with accents without malice. Thanks for bringing this one up- I do love short, lighthearted movies these days.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea.

But one of my favourite J. Carrol Naish performances (for which I think he got an Oscar nomination) was in SAHARA (1943), in which he played an Italian soldier captured in the North African desert during WW2 by an American tank crew (headed by Bogie). Bogie makes the decision to leave the "plate of spaghetti" in the desert and not take him with them because of water shortage issues. His decision, as everyone on the tank knows, is a death sentence for Naish.

The most touching moment in the film in when Naish pleads with Bogart for compassion and to take him aboard, showing him photos of his wife and bambinos. It's a great scene and Naish undoubtedly produced more than a few tears from audience members watching it.

This scene is the followup to it in a clearly above average WW2 military propaganda film, a dated movie genre for which I generally, with the occasional exception such as his drama, find limited appeal. Many WW2 films showed Italians as comic buffoons, leaving the heavy villainy for the Germans and Japanese. Naish's portrayal, however, is one of humanity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

My favorite of his was as the psychopathic hunchback in House Of Frankenstein (1944)

House of Frankenstein (1944) - Midnite Reviews

J. Carol Naish as "Daniel," the hunchback, a performance in which he could be touching as well as menacing. But it's his sensitive scenes with Elena Verdugo that I liked best of all.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

J. Carol Naish as "Daniel," the hunchback, a performance in which he could be touching as well as menacing. But it's his sensitive scenes with Elena Verdugo that I liked best of all.

Yes, they had some poignant scenes together. Though she did not return his romantic feelings, she had her own doomed affair when she fell for Wolf Man Lon Chaney Jr.

4 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yes, they had some poignant scenes together. Though she did not return his romantic feelings, she had her own doomed affair when she fell for Wolf Man Lon Chaney Jr.

She liked 'em tall, dark and hairy.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

There's a Flintstones episode where, for some convoluted reason, Fred's in King Arthur's court, and just won a jousting match by accident.  The king announces, "Good work, sir knight, you have won the hand of the fair princess...Rrrrosa."  "(hideous giggle!)"

I do find it amazing 70 years ago we could laugh at dunderheads with accents without malice. 

It's still a job convincing people that the '42 and after radio version (where the show became more of the standard sitcom that the 50's TV version carried on) of "Amos & Andy" is flat-out hysterical.  😂

As in, actually funny on "Honeymooners" terms, not "Issue-laden hip social condescension".  You could learn lessons in comic timing listening to the episodes.

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

Naish is top-billed in DR RENAULT"S SECRET (1942), and plays a character with similarities to both friend Daniel and Larry Talbot. Pretty good movie. My question about this movie, I can't make up my mind about his make-up. Is it over the top or too subtle? 

Docren.jpg

6 minutes ago, Herman Bricks said:

Naish is top-billed in DR RENAULT"S SECRET (1942), and plays a character with similarities to both friend Daniel and Larry Talbot. Pretty good movie. My question about this movie, I can't make up my mind about his make-up. Is it over the top or too subtle? 

Docren.jpg

I'm not certain if I've ever watched this film. But I have a copy of it on disc and will probably play it tonight. This is one of the great pleasures of having an extensive collection of old films on DVD, the ability to pop any one of so many different titles into a machine and watch it at a moment's notice. I never dreamed when I was a kid collecting 10 minute segments from movies on 8mm Castle Films that I would one day have a dream film collection such as I now have thanks to modern technology. Movie collectors have never had it so good or easy as they do today..

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TomJH said:

But one of my favourite J. Carrol Naish performances (for which I think he got an Oscar nomination) was in SAHARA (1943), in which he played an Italian soldier captured in the North African desert during WW2 by an American tank crew (headed by Bogie). Bogie makes the decision to leave the "plate of spaghetti" in the desert and not take him with them because of water shortage issues. His decision, as everyone on the tank knows, is a death sentence for Naish.

Tom, I love SAHARA. For me the most enduring take-aways are the sympathetic portrayals of Naish as the Italian prisoner, Rex Ingram as the Sudanese soldier, and Louis Mercier as the Free French fighter. The scene between Bruce Bennett and Rex Ingram, where they clearly accept each other as equals, was quite progressive in its time. I wonder how it was received by the critics and public.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Herman Bricks said:

Tom, I love SAHARA. For me the most enduring take-aways are the sympathetic portrayals of Naish as the Italian prisoner, Rex Ingram as the Sudanese soldier, and Louis Mercier as the Free French fighter. The scene between Bruce Bennett and Rex Ingram, where they clearly accept each other as equals, was quite progressive in its time. I wonder how it was received by the critics and public.

Rex Ingram always brought great dignity to his roles, and Sahara gave him one of his better screen opportunities. And what a rich, deep voice he had! (I wonder if he worked on radio). In a later, more progressive time this same actor undoubtedly would have had a more stellar film career.

Sahara (1943) Humphrey Bogart is Sergeant Joe Gunn WW2 Tank Commander –  Wolfmans Cult Film

One of my very favourite Ingram roles was as the genie in Korda's marvelous Thief of Bagdad.

The Thief of Baghdad (1940) photograph (1) | Rex Ingram

• Like 2
7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have HBO Max as part of my phone plan.  My husband had to have a hotspot, and a free HBO Max subscription came with it. Lol. 

I WILL PAY YOU FOR A BOOTLEG DISC OF “ALLEN V FARROW.” 

jk

sorta. 
I really want to see it though. I can watch Rich, privileged elitist people fight with one another all day long.

44 minutes ago, TomJH said:

The Thief of Baghdad (1940) photograph (1) | Rex Ingram

I hope they had the foresight to give the role to a real Genie rather than another Vulcan. They get all the pointy ear rolls....

3 hours ago, Herman Bricks said:

Docren.jpg

I watched Dr. Renault's Secret tonight, never having seen it before. The makeup was fairly subdued yet obvious enough that, from J. Carrol Naish's first appearance in the film, the secret of the doctor was pretty obvious, I thought. Not a bad little film, with good performances from Naish and George Zucco (familiar as this kind of mad scientist role was for the Englishman), the film having a further slickness, despite its "B" programmer budget, from the handsome Fox "A" production sets upon which it was filmed, as well as first rate photography.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I WILL PAY YOU FOR A BOOTLEG DISC OF “ALLEN V FARROW.” 

jk

sorta. 
I really want to see it though. I can watch Rich, privileged elitist people fight with one another all day long.

Lol. I’m not sure how you’d save the streaming off the channel. I could be like a lame YouTube video and record it playing on my TV with my phone. 

High School Confidential 1958

I cannot believe I've never seen this before. I don't know what I like more, Uncle Fester as the heroin king pin/nightclub piano man or Mamie Van Doran as the sexpot party girl. OK fine, Mamie Van Doran is an easy winner there, but the movie also has high school girls hooked on Mary Jane and Riff from the Jets as a 1950s high school narc and hot rod jalopies.  But the single coolest thing in this movie is Phillipa Fallon the Beat Poetess performing High School Drag. 

• Haha 1

went DEEP into the SCOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU? rabbit hole.

the artist and the lifelong creepy child in me are both commanding me this morning to share with you some of these examples of  BACKGROUND ART from the 1968/69 show; i know HANNA=BARBERA gets a little guff here and there for some aspects of their overall output, but damned if these are not just simply EXQUISITE:

This was modeled after the NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND mansion used in DARK SHADOWS:

6366ce0f190abd8f3a77cbf9080cad41.jpg&ehk

FROM THE EPISODE HASSLE IN THE CASTLE:

See the source image

from episode WHAT THE HEX GOING ON?

See the source image

A NIGHT OF FRIGHT IS NO DELIGHT/  TWO FROM WHICH WITCH IS WHICH?

See the source image

See the source image

space kook's spaceship:

See the source image

• Like 2

AN ARTICLE FROM GIZMODO ON THE BACKGROUNDS CONTAINS EVEN MORE PICS:

https://gizmodo.com/scooby-doo-backgrounds-sans-characters-are-simply-stunn-1586742838

also contains THIS LINK to about 50 IMAGES OF BACKGROUNDS FROM THE SERIES AND I WOULD POST THEM ALL IF I COULD:

http://secretfunspot.blogspot.com/2007/10/50-scooby-doo-background-paintings.html

• Thanks 1
On 6/5/2021 at 9:07 PM, speedracer5 said:

It wasn't on anywhere.  I watched it on HBO Max.

Oh, ok. I couldn't find the original post.

Last night I watched the Kennedy Center Honors.  Very disappointing.  Redundant.  Expected to see James Taylor pay tribute to Joan Baez (similar era); a lot of the performance (Derek Hough and other dancing - whether in tribute to Debbie Allen or Dick Van Dyke - took up too much time).  Like seeing Bette Midler, Yo Yo Ma, Julie Andrews and Chita Rivera.  Still can't figure out who the woman was who was sitting next to D. Van Dyke.  Did anyone else watch them.  Also, I need to check out whether Caroline Kennedy S. was there - father, brother, mother gone - remember JFK and RFK assassinations (new book out on Jack Ruby, who shot Oswald on TV?).  Excuse meandering.  After the tribute, there my ME TV ran two B&W episode of Dick Van Dyke Show - the second was the Aliens, Danny Thomas and Walnuts (Klaxon invaders) one - that is what happens when you watch scary movies at bedtime!

They used to have these at the end of the year. Is it now going to be a summer thing? Didnt realize it was on.