Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Blithe Spirit Poster

Blithe Spirit (1945) TCM 8/10

A man and his wife are haunted by the ghost of his first wife.

A first time viewing for me, I loved it. Noel Coward brings his acerbic wit to this version of his play. It was well directed by David Lean, prior to his becoming known for his epics. Rex Harrison is at his witty best and Constance Cummings is fine as his exasperated current wife. Kay Hammond is deliciously catty as the ghost. Margaret Rutherford steals every scene she is in as the eccentric medium who contacts the spirit. The humor is surprisingly adult for the 1940s. The final gag is hilarious, and ends in kind of a ghostly ménage a trois!

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Thanks for mentioning Garner's J-Turns in Rockford (as well as that video). They look so damn cool and usually fooled the bad guys, if only for a moment.

By the way, is there ANYBODY who doesn't enjoy the arrangement of The Rockford Files theme music, including the sounds of that harmonica?

Back in the days when TV theme songs would make the pop charts.    Heck, back in the days when TV shows had theme songs (longer than 10 seconds, anyway).

I had a 45 of the Rockford Files theme.  Don't remember what was on the other side.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Back in the days when TV theme songs would make the pop charts.    Heck, back in the days when TV shows had theme songs (longer than 10 seconds, anyway).

I had a 45 of the Rockford Files theme.  Don't remember what was on the other side.

In honour of your 45. The great musical sounds of one of the best TV detective shows we've ever had.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Movies too, youngster.  He did comedies like Boys Night Out, romantic comedies,  Move Over Darling and The Thrill of it All and drama Grand Prix and The Great Escape.

I watched Boys Night Out earlier this year and of course have seen The Great Escape.  I think i picked a losing argument here.  I guess it's because i've never heard his name mentioned  in the way of other classic or iconic actors from this era that i didn't think of him as being very popular.  i stand corrected.

i've heard of the shows Maverick and The Rockford Files but unfortunately haven't seen either.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

I watched Boys Night Out earlier this year and of course have seen The Great Escape.  I think i picked a losing argument here.  I guess it's because i've never heard his name mentioned  in the way of other classic or iconic actors from this era that i didn't think of him as being very popular.  i stand corrected.

i've heard of the shows Maverick and The Rockford Files but unfortunately haven't seen either.

I guess he's a bit forgettable. Great Escape and Grand Prix aside, I always forget he's in all these other movies when they come on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Margaret Rutherford steals every scene she is in as the eccentric medium who contacts the spirit. 

If you ever go into battle, you want her leading the charge!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Blithe Spirit Poster

Blithe Spirit (1945) TCM 8/10

A man and his wife are haunted by the ghost of his first wife.

A first time viewing for me, I loved it. Noel Coward brings his acerbic wit to this version of his play. It was well directed by David Lean, prior to his becoming known for his epics. Rex Harrison is at his witty best and Constance Cummings is fine as his exasperated current wife. Kay Hammond is deliciously catty as the ghost. Margaret Rutherford steals every scene she is in as the eccentric medium who contacts the spirit. The humor is surprisingly adult for the 1940s. The final gag is hilarious, and ends in kind of a ghostly ménage a trois!

Did they change the ending for the film? I don't remember the play ending that way (saw it many years ago at a community theater). I was disappointed in the film version (finally saw earlier this year). It wasnt as funny as the play version I saw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TomJH said:

By the way, is there ANYBODY who doesn't enjoy the arrangement of The Rockford Files theme music, including the sounds of that harmonica?

The 70's were the golden age of TV Themes.  

Oh, wait, TV actually HAD opening themes back then, before "Law & Order"'s attempt to be "cinematic" played up to network's fear of short audience attention spans.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Did they change the ending for the film? I don't remember the play ending that way (saw it many years ago at a community theater). I was disappointed in the film version (finally saw earlier this year). It wasnt as funny as the play version I saw.

Indeed they did, and Mr. Coward was not pleased...

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Blithe Spirit Poster

Blithe Spirit (1945) TCM 8/10

A man and his wife are haunted by the ghost of his first wife.

A first time viewing for me, I loved it. Noel Coward brings his acerbic wit to this version of his play. It was well directed by David Lean, prior to his becoming known for his epics. Rex Harrison is at his witty best and Constance Cummings is fine as his exasperated current wife. Kay Hammond is deliciously catty as the ghost. Margaret Rutherford steals every scene she is in as the eccentric medium who contacts the spirit. The humor is surprisingly adult for the 1940s. The final gag is hilarious, and ends in kind of a ghostly ménage a trois!

Viewed Blithe Spirit for the first time yesterday and enjoyed it.    Witty screenplay and as you noted the actors were in fine form.

Always good to see a 40s film on TCM I haven't seen before.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Back in the days when TV theme songs would make the pop charts.    Heck, back in the days when TV shows had theme songs (longer than 10 seconds, anyway).

I had a 45 of the Rockford Files theme.  Don't remember what was on the other side.

It was something called "Dixie Lullabye".   And so----

Then of course, probably the coolest and most popular TV theme from back in the "day"----

Made it to #8 on the charts.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

-- A Cold Wind, In August,. ---

_

~ GEEZ ---

      ..Found it to be a VERY Immersive.. ...and Impressive Flick/Feature.

   Though it DOES "Come With" a.. Rather Sad.. ...Melancholy Finale'...

 

 

 

..if i,ve seen it before, its been years ago. ..But Glad i tripped over it Again ,if so.

_

👏👏🎭🎨👏👙👏👏👏👏👏👙🎨🎨

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched two movies I'll never watch again. Both are double features recorded from TCM  last month: 2 Nivens, 2 Garfields-

First was A KISS IN THE DARK '49 starring David Niven & Jane Wyman. This was packed with talent besides the two leads: Victor Moore, Broderick Crawford, Maria Ouspenskaya. The story of a haughty, successful concert pianist whose accountant has invested his money in an apartment house full of "charactors".  Jane Wyman is gorgeous and of course, he falls in love with her. And that's the thing about this movie-this is the same old rehashed plot with actors playing their well known characterizations. It might appeal to tweens, but this adult found it a chore. It was so obvious by the writing and especially music, this was a WB production. Very lighthearted & formulaic, nothing offensive, but nothing special, either. (2nd feature-EYE OF THE DEVIL will require a schlocky horror mindset) Dismembered head poster:

 

A_Kiss_in_the_Dark_(1949_film).jpg

The second movie I watched was just as formulaic, FORCE OF EVIL '48 but had the bonus of dynamic John Garfield who completely carries the film. This is a typical noir about a "numbers racket" run by gangsters and Garfield is a lawyer/advisor for a head honcho in the scheme. A plot emerges for the head guy to bankrupt the bookies/banks that run the numbers and then loan them money at a high interest to pay off their debts. It was pretty tense, Garfield can make anyone feel scared just throwing a baseball, and he completely carries this movie to the end.

The lighting, the music, the "movement" of this film makes it exciting to watch. Garfield's love interest is adorable, but even more stupid than the criminals. I didn't buy for a second a timid girl like that would be intrigued by a guy like Garfield, no matter how handsome & smooth talking.

I have diminishing patience with stupid charactors,  don't find their choices interesting, instead see them as digging their own hole....maybe because I'm older. But John Garfield is so incredible an actor, his performance elevates all the supporting ones. A decent movie that I'd recommend to anyone. I just couldn't watch this again.

Looking forward to the next one FORCE OF EVIL.

Completely misleading poster image:

 

800px-Force_of_Evil_(1948_poster).jpg

Marie Windsor must be that sepia femme fatale-she was EXCELLENT! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

The second movie I watched was just as formulaic, FORCE OF EVIL '48 but had the bonus of dynamic John Garfield who completely carries the film. This is a typical noir about a "numbers racket" run by gangsters and Garfield is a lawyer/advisor for a head honcho in the scheme. A plot emerges for the head guy to bankrupt the bookies/banks that run the numbers and then loan them money at a high interest to pay off their debts. It was pretty tense, Garfield can make anyone feel scared just throwing a baseball, and he completely carries this movie to the end.

The lighting, the music, the "movement" of this film makes it exciting to watch. Garfield's love interest is adorable, but even more stupid than the criminals. I didn't buy for a second a timid girl like that would be intrigued by a guy like Garfield, no matter how handsome & smooth talking.

I have diminishing patience with stupid charactors,  don't find their choices interesting, instead see them as digging their own hole....maybe because I'm older. But John Garfield is so incredible an actor, his performance elevates all the supporting ones. A decent movie that I'd recommend to anyone. I just couldn't watch this again.

Looking forward to the next one FORCE OF EVIL.

Completely misleading poster image:

 

800px-Force_of_Evil_(1948_poster).jpg

Marie Windsor must be that sepia femme fatale-she was EXCELLENT! 

When it comes to Force of Evil, I would also make mention of Thomas Gomez's powerful performance as Garfield's anguished brother, essentially a decent man who is forced to get mixed up with gangsters in the numbers racket. One of the interesting aspects of this film is its unexpected use of clever, at times even lyrical dialogue, the latter in Garfield's scenes with the girl (Beatrice Pearson). ("A man could spend the rest of his life trying to remember what he shouldn't have said.'  "I didn't have enough strength to resist corruption but I was strong enough to fight for a piece of it.")

Garfield was maturing as an actor and he had masterful delivery of that dialogue. The final scene in this film is about as bleak as you will find in any film noir. I agree, TikiSoo, that Marie Windsor looks spectacularly sleek and sexy in this film. It's a shame it wasn't a bigger role for her.

Force of Evil died at the 1948 box office but has acquired a cult following among many noir buffs over the years. I think it remains one of Garfield's best films and performances, along with Postman Always Rings Twice, Body and Soul and, arguably his masterpiece, The Breaking Point.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I watched:

Judge Hardy and Son (1939) A darker film in the long series when it looks like the mother is going to die.  I've seen maybe 5 of the films now and glad to see TCM play them somewhat regularly.

How to Steal a Million (1966) Am I the only one to get bored during the heist scene?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mad Men Poster

Mad Men (2007-2015) DVD

TV drama set in the 1960s world of advertising.

I went through every episode over the last couple of months. I think it was the third time I have done this. The only way to watch this series is to do it completely from beginning to end. It can be hard to follow at times and you really have to pay attention when watching. It also can be frustrating because it doesn't always give you answers to everything. One thing I liked about it was it gives a different side of the decade, not the counter culture but the corporate world at the time. The dialogue seems very realistic . I would imagine most people spoke this way at the time, it avoids the "groovy" or "far out" expressions which other period pieces seem to do.

I also wondered if the this was an actual movie made in the early 1960s, who would been a good cast for it. Here is what I think:

Rock Hudson as Don Draper

Diane Varsi as Peggy Olson

Keir Dullea as Pete Campbell

Carroll Baker as Betty Draper

Barry Sullivan as Roger Sterling

Edie Adams as Joan Holloway

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching The Houston Story on MOVIES (noir Thursday).   It features Gene Barry and Barbara Hale.   (much different role than that of Della Street).

Gene Barry Pictures - The Houston Story

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Mad Men Poster

Mad Men (2007-2015) DVD

TV drama set in the 1960s world of advertising.

I went through every episode over the last couple of months. I think it was the third time I have done this. The only way to watch this series is to do it completely from beginning to end. It can be hard to follow at times and you really have to pay attention when watching. It also can be frustrating because it doesn't always give you answers to everything. One thing I liked about it was it gives a different side of the decade, not the counter culture but the corporate world at the time. The dialogue seems very realistic at time, I would imagine most people spoke this way at time, it avoids the "groovy" or "far out" expressions which other period pieces seem to do.

I also wondered if the this was an actual movie made in the early 1960s, who would been a good cast for it. Here is what I think:

 

 

I absolutely loved Mad Men.  I watched it after the series had almost finished;  meaning,  I didn't catch it when it was first aired ,  I actually took  out the DVD sets from my local  video rental place  (which still exists !)  and binged on it that way.  I couldn't stop watching it, and when I wasn't watching it, I was thinking about it.  All the characters are so finely drawn,  so real.  You care about all of them, even the dislikeable ones.  Mad Men had everything...great, unforgettable characters,  fascinating storylines,  authentically recreated '60s culture,  really funny moments,  really sad ones.    Great show, one of the best of the kind of "streamed" television series that are now hugely common, but were still unusual for the time they came out. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to belabor a point earlier made by others here about James Garner and after Shank Asu earlier said the following...

On 6/15/2021 at 10:07 AM, Shank Asu said:

Watched a few James Garner films the past year and surprised he wasn't more popular.

...but it reminded me of an episode of 'Jeopardy!' that I watched a few months back, and during which none of the twenty/thirty-something in age contestants even offered up a guess as to whom the actor in question was and even AFTER a face shot of James Garner was shown to them while the question about the TV series 'The Rockford Files' was asked. Katie Couric was the guest host as I recall, and she seemed genuinely shocked that none of the young nerds knew the answer.

(...see?!...it's like I always say..."The classics are LOST on these damn kids now days!")  ;)

LOL

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Not to belabor a point earlier made by others here about James Garner and after Shank Asu earlier said the following...

...but it reminded me of an episode of 'Jeopardy!' that I watched a few months back, and during which none of the twenty/thirty-something in age contestants even offered up a guess as to whom the actor in question was and even AFTER a face shot of James Garner was shown to them while the question about the TV series 'The Rockford Files' was asked. Katie Couric was the guest host as I recall, and she seemed genuinely shocked that none of the young nerds knew the answer.

(...see?!...it's like I always say..."The classics are LOST on these damn kids now days!")  ;)

LOL

I find it just a tad dismaying that younger TV viewers, years from now, will be more immersed in discussions about Big Brother or some other reality TV show than they will a class act like The Rockford Files. And James Garner's name will probably just produce a "Huh?" from most of them. Of course, I'll be gone by then so well the hell.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Mad Men Poster

Mad Men (2007-2015) DVD

TV drama set in the 1960s world of advertising.

I went through every episode over the last couple of months. I think it was the third time I have done this. The only way to watch this series is to do it completely from beginning to end. It can be hard to follow at times and you really have to pay attention when watching. It also can be frustrating because it doesn't always give you answers to everything. One thing I liked about it was it gives a different side of the decade, not the counter culture but the corporate world at the time. The dialogue seems very realistic at time, I would imagine most people spoke this way at time, it avoids the "groovy" or "far out" expressions which other period pieces seem to do.

I also wondered if the this was an actual movie made in the early 1960s, who would been a good cast for it. Here is what I think:

Rock Hudson as Don Draper

Diane Varsi as Peggy Olson

Keir Dullea as Pete Campbell

Carroll Baker as Betty Draper

Barry Sullivan as Roger Sterling

Edie Adams as Joan Holloway

 

i've recently been thinking i need to re-watch the series and introduce it to my wife. i always liked that it wasn't about the counter culture (at least in the first 2/3 of the series. the counter culture is always what seems to get the attention but Pat Boone sold more records than any of the famous rock bands from the era.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the thread is named I Just Watched, but how about something I didn’t watch?  Sunrise at Campobello (1960).  While surfing the channels last night, I parked on TCM’s airing of this one for a bit in the middle.  It’s apparently about the early years of FDR and Eleanor as he faces polio.  I’ve really only ever known of Ralph Bellamy as Bruce Baldwin in His Girl Friday (1940), though for some reason he has popped up for me a couple of times lately.  But, as FDR, I think he does a really good job.  Something about his voice…  And Greer Garson got an Oscar nomination for her portrayal of Eleanor.  Looked really good.  With a runtime of almost two and half hours, which I’m not a fan of, I’ll still put this one on my watch list.  Love to hear something from anyone familiar with the film…

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

Love to hear something from anyone familiar with the film…

That's what's great about this thread. I'm also not a fan of longer movies, but I highly recommend you devote the time for it. I've only seen it once myself, but was blown away by Bellamy's performance. It was interesting, well made & helped make Roosevelt a real person for me to relate to. You can't ask more from a movie.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...