Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Personally, don't think SNL was best when it first came out (Monty Python made SNL possible).  One thing that really turned me off Wiig was when she played the mongoloid sister in a version of The Lennon Sisters (if you remember them).  Never got Will Farrell either.  My brother had Down Syndrome.   Kate McKinnon looks the same no matter which Republican she's playing (and I liked Amy Poehler's version of Hillary better than hers.  What helped put Tina Fey on the map was "I Can See Russia From My House!"  When it first came out, SNL was more provocative - Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase yelling racial epithets at one another.   Of course, there were drugs aplenty going round (and it seemed like they encouraged you to smoke a little pot while you watched).  I would love to hear what Garret Morris thought as the only black cast member.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

PSYCHO II is surprisingly not bad at all. 
(and I liked KRULL too. )

Not sure about Krull but Psycho II was well done. It had absolutely nothing in common with Robert Bloch's sequel to his original novel other than the name but it was a good movie anyway. I loved the scene with Norman on the phone with "Mother" near the end.  Not many can approach Tony Perkins' ability to play crazy.

• Thanks 1

I once remember seeing the 2013 R-rated film Her listed on a streaming website as a movie the family would love. Sorry, Netflix, but my family would be out of there as soon as Wii's voice is heard on a phone sex line begging Juaquin Phoenix to picture up a warped sexual fantasy involving her being choked by an (imaginary) dead cat......

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I once remember seeing the 2013 R-rated film Her listed on a streaming website as a movie the family would love. Sorry, Netflix, but my family would be out of there as soon as Wii's voice is heard on a phone sex line begging Juaquin Phoenix to picture up a warped sexual fantasy involving her being choked by an (imaginary) dead cat......

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! 

9 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

Not sure about Krull but Psycho II was well done. It had absolutely nothing in common with Robert Bloch's sequel to his original novel other than the name but it was a good movie anyway. I loved the scene with Norman on the phone with "Mother" near the end.  Not many can approach Tony Perkins' ability to play crazy.

KRULL Is a little bit “the thief of Baghdad” with a dash of “Star Wars” done very much in the spirit of the Ray Harryhausen films the 60s, but AGGRESSIVELY 80s as hell and refreshingly unique. 

plus, It’s about a magical starfish boomerang.

(And yeah, ain’t nobody could play crazy like Tony Perkins.)

• Like 2
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! 

You think that was bad? She played a cannibal in 2017's mother!, feasting on the remains of a baby whose neck had just snapped. (That whole damn film was a blasphemous allegory that was essentially biblical in inspiration, (creation, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Apocalypse, etc), but far from it in execution) I have been known to call that film (mother!) something else, a certain 12 letter word that Otto would definitely not allow.

Just now, CinemaInternational said:

You think that was bad? She played a cannibal in 2017's mother!, feasting on the remains of a baby whose neck had just snapped. (That whole damn film was a blasphemous allegory that was essentially biblical in inspiration, (creation, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Apocalypse, etc), but far from it in execution) I have been known to call that film (mother!) something else, a certain 12 letter word that Otto would definitely not allow.

Yeah, I’ve read about MOTHER! 
It pretty much reinforced my decision about 10 years ago to quit watching modern films.

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, I’ve read about MOTHER! 
It pretty much reinforced my decision about 10 years ago to quit watching modern films.

Regardless of what one thinks about Rex Reed, he got a good one in on that film. 

Anyway, as soon as I found out about the movie's horrific twist, even before the film opened,  I started blabbing about it on the internet. Got me into a lot of hot water, and the controversy was clung to me to this day..... it just rubbed me the wrong way.....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Personally, don't think SNL was best when it first came out (Monty Python made SNL possible).  One thing that really turned me off Wiig was when she played the mongoloid sister in a version of The Lennon Sisters (if you remember them).  Never got Will Farrell either.  My brother had Down Syndrome.   Kate McKinnon looks the same no matter which Republican she's playing (and I liked Amy Poehler's version of Hillary better than hers.  What helped put Tina Fey on the map was "I Can See Russia From My House!"  When it first came out, SNL was more provocative - Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase yelling racial epithets at one another.   Of course, there were drugs aplenty going round (and it seemed like they encouraged you to smoke a little pot while you watched).  I would love to hear what Garret Morris thought as the only black cast member.

Yeah, I've gone long periods of not watching SNL and I dont think I missed much. Granted there were some good performers over the years. But it was never great, even in its salad days........The only part I watch mostly now are the news segments. Unless I like the guest star/musical group.

I should explain I switch channels when the news "guests" come on. They are uniformly AWFUL!

I remember when Julia Louis-Dreyfus was a cast member in the early 1980s.

That's when it was really, really bad, especially for the female cast.  At least she met her husband there.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(And yeah, ain’t nobody could play crazy like Tony Perkins.)

(While we're posting good trailers: )

By the time Perkins got to direct himself in Psycho III, his idea of "tragic Norman" had become sort of a trotted-out classic-shtick act, but going back to legitimize Norman as a sympathetic character in II, he shows why everyone praises the first movie.  And I'd swear Holland & Franklin were even playing on the old theories of "Hitchcock vs. William Castle", in giving us a plot that suspiciously resembles Joan Crawford's in Castle's version of Robert Bloch's Strait-Jacket:  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I remember when Julia Louis-Dreyfus was a cast member in the early 1980s.

That's when it was really, really bad, especially for the female cast.  At least she met her husband there.

Yeah you would never in 1 million years guess JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS had the talent she does with the material that she was given on SNL. I think her time on the show was during that especially weird era when ANTHONY MICHAEL HALL was a cast member for some reason...?

or was it ROBERT DOWNEY JR?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Regardless of what one thinks about Rex Reed, he got a good one in on that film. 

Anyway, as soon as I found out about the movie's horrific twist, even before the film opened,  I started blabbing about it on the internet. Got me into a lot of hot water, and the controversy was clung to me to this day..... it just rubbed me the wrong way.....

EMBRACE THE CONTROVERSY!!!!

LEAN INTO IT!!!!

(Trust me on this advice, it’s never gotten me into trouble at all here.)

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TINA FEY Another one who chaps my ****. A lot of her work is extremely problematic. 

Oddly enough, one of the weird things about living in the upside down world of the Trump presidency was that for the first time in 20 years “Saturday night live” managed to (on occasion) be pretty funny. (At least their political sketches)

i even laughed out loud a handful of times.

I’m sure it’s back to being the worst thing ever though, and to be perfectly honest with you I’m fine with that.

If it means never ever going back through the looking glass again then I will gladly take my SNL not at all funny and my President not a Fascist.

I've not watched an entire episode of SNL since about 1980 or so.   When Fridays started on ABC, most of my friends started watching that instead.  And then SCTV.  I never went back to SNL.  I would watch parts of an episode occasionally, but I'd never sit through an entire 90 minutes.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I've not watched an entire episode of SNL since about 1980 or so.   When Fridays started on ABC, most of my friends started watching that instead.  And then SCTV.  I never went back to SNL.  I would watch parts of an episode occasionally, but I'd never sit through an entire 90 minutes.

SCTV was funny as Hell, consistently , and throughout. 
(in other words, an altogether different story than SNL )

4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Well, 1980 IS pretty much when the entire 70's cast left, Joe Piscopo & Eddie Murphy came in, and the show went down the toilet.

I barely even acknowledged its existence until the great 1986 Silver Age of Phil Hartman, Dennis Miller, and Dana Carvey:

(Fridays, though?...OGL.  The convincing piece of evidence in my "NYC is funny, Los Angeles ISN'T" theory.)

26 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Well, 1980 IS pretty much when the entire 70's cast left, Joe Piscopo & Eddie Murphy came in, and the show went down the toilet.

I barely even acknowledged its existence until the great 1986 Silver Age of Phil Hartman, Dennis Miller, and Dana Carvey:

(Fridays, though?...OGL.  The convincing piece of evidence in my "NYC is funny, Los Angeles ISN'T" theory.)

Yeah, Fridays wasn't as good as the first iteration of SNL, but it was better than 1980 SNL.  I watched SNL some in the Dana Carvey years, but only sporadically.  I was usually not at home then when it was on (was out of college and working by then, and was often out of the house - It's on an hour earlier here than on the coasts).  Never cared much for Dennis Miller.  When I did watch it, I typically changed the channel during his Weekend Update bit, and rarely tuned back in.

14 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah you would never in 1 million years guess JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS had the talent she does with the material that she was given on SNL. I think her time on the show was during that especially weird era when ANTHONY MICHAEL HALL was a cast member for some reason...?

or was it ROBERT DOWNEY JR?

You're right on both of them! Anthony Michael Hall and Robert Downey Jr were both cast members at the same time. Along with what always struck me as completely bizarre, Randy Quaid!

Definitely not one of SNL's most shining eras 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

You're right on both of them! Anthony Michael Hall and Robert Downey Jr were both cast members at the same time. Along with what always struck me as completely bizarre, Randy Quaid!

Definitely not one of SNL's most shining eras 

WOW! (and thank you!)

RANDY QUAID had been an Oscar nominee in 1973/4 and a character actor in a lot of hit movies b y that time, that is wild that he would join an ensemble cast of a late night TV Show, he must have HAD TO take it.

I know these days he is a COMPLETE MANIAC, so I guess maybe back then his behavior was burning some bridges in the industry.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WOW! (and thank you!)

RANDY QUAID had been an Oscar nominee in 1973/4 and a character actor in a lot of hit movies b y that time, that is wild that he would join an ensemble cast of a late night TV Show, he must have HAD TO take it.

I know these days he is a COMPLETE MANIAC, so I guess maybe back then his behavior was burning some bridges in the industry.

My pleasure!

Quaid was a guest on Fresh Air a couple of years after his time on SNL.  Terry Gross asked him what motivated him to join the cast.  Actually it was more of an incredulous, "The hell were you thinking???", type of question. He gave a long winded, drawn out (kinda like my reply here)  wanting to hone his craft, expand his horizons, intrigued by the challenge type reply. Basically boiled down to I needed something to do until the next Vacation films. Then she asked him if he felt he was successful during his time there and I swear to God I'm almost positive I remember him answering with a quick simple, " Nah". 😂

I can't remember a single skit Downey was in, barely anything with Anthony Michael Hall and the only thing that Quaid did on the show that stuck in my mind through the years was as a Rod Serling style host of a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits skit. He was a floating head over the opening title sequence giving a we have control monologue. Only reason I remember it is at one point he says, "We can bend you to our will. We can make you turn your head.", and jams his index finger up his nose past the first knuckle.

He was right. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

My pleasure!

Quaid was a guest on Fresh Air a couple of years after his time on SNL.  Terry Gross asked him what motivated him to join the cast.  Actually it was more of an incredulous, "The hell were you thinking???", type of question. He gave a long winded, drawn out (kinda like my reply here)  wanting to hone his craft, expand his horizons, intrigued by the challenge type reply. Basically boiled down to I needed something to do until the next Vacation films. Then she asked him if he felt he was successful during his time there and I swear to God I'm almost positive I remember him answering with a quick simple, " Nah". 😂

I can't remember a single skit Downey was in, barely anything with Anthony Michael Hall and the only thing that Quaid did on the show that stuck in my mind through the years was as a Rod Serling style host of a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits skit. He was a floating head over the opening title sequence giving a we have control monologue. Only reason I remember it is at one point he says, "We can bend you to our will. We can make you turn your head.", and jams his index finger up his nose past the first knuckle.

He was right. 

if you would ever like to feel better about any bad choices you may have made in your life, feel free to google "Randy Quaid today" or go to his wikipedia page. it is SOBERING.

Seriously, even COUSIN EDDIE would be like "Son, what is goin on with you?????"

they omit mentioning his and his wife's sex tape at least....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Quaid

• Haha 1

The only Julia Louis Dreyfus skit I really remember is her as Marie Osmond, Gary Kroeger as Donnie, singing and then suddenly furiously start making out.

It really made me laugh out loud.  It was pretty funny.  That's all.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Roy Cronin said:

The only Julia Louis Dreyfus skit I really remember is her as Marie Osmond, Gary Kroeger as Donnie, singing and then suddenly furiously start making out.

It really made me laugh out loud.  It was pretty funny.  That's all.

I never saw this, but I laughed out at loud at your description, so I imagine it was a pretty solid bit.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

he only thing that Quaid did on the show that stuck in my mind through the years was as a Rod Serling style host of a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits skit

He also did the worst Ronald Reagan impression I have ever seen.

• Like 1