Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have never seen Kristen Wiig where she was EVER more than just so so. I really don’t understand why there was such a push to make her “happen”

I saw a movie where she was so-so. So so good ... in Girl Most Likely. She needed no pushing, from me anyway. The movie is so so good too, I watched three times, funny movie. Mixed reviews, I know. I don't know KW, have seen her in only one other film. Post 2000 movies is weird territory for me, haven't seen a great deal of them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Citizen Ed said:

My pleasure!

Quaid was a guest on Fresh Air a couple of years after his time on SNL.  Terry Gross asked him what motivated him to join the cast.  Actually it was more of an incredulous, "The hell were you thinking???", type of question. He gave a long winded, drawn out (kinda like my reply here)  wanting to hone his craft, expand his horizons, intrigued by the challenge type reply. Basically boiled down to I needed something to do until the next Vacation films. Then she asked him if he felt he was successful during his time there and I swear to God I'm almost positive I remember him answering with a quick simple, " Nah". 😂

I can't remember a single skit Downey was in, barely anything with Anthony Michael Hall and the only thing that Quaid did on the show that stuck in my mind through the years was as a Rod Serling style host of a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits skit. He was a floating head over the opening title sequence giving a we have control monologue. Only reason I remember it is at one point he says, "We can bend you to our will. We can make you turn your head.", and jams his index finger up his nose past the first knuckle.

He was right. 

That was during the time Lorne Michaels was on "vacation" and the show was on the verge of cancelation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

He also did the worst Ronald Reagan impression I have ever seen.

DAMN!

REAGAN is like NICHOLSON and WALKEN, when it comes to level of ease in impersonating as an actor.

HELL, even REAGAN successfully  impersonated REAGAN, and we all know  how bad an actor he was!

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Reagan?!? Good lord! I can just imagine how bad that was. There's no similarities between the two at all, physical, speech or mannerisms.

I will say though he was mighty impressive as LBJ in the biopic they made!

Just now, Citizen Ed said:

Reagan?!? Good lord! I can just imagine how bad that was. There's no similarities between the two at all, physical, speech or mannerisms.

I will say though he was mighty impressive as LBJ in the biopic they made!

yeah, I bet QUAID could absolutely NAIL LBJ. (RANDY QUAID is about 6'5 in real life)

• Like 1

this is all really surprisingly on point with the BREAKING NEWS of TODAY, APPARENTLY our 45th President** apparently was not a fan of SNL, ironically during that odd four year span of his presidency where it was, miraculously, not the worst thing on television hands down. So much so he asked the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT to "look into it."

ah, but her e-mails, right?

** aka the one who ****ING LOST the 2020 election

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

yeah, I bet QUAID could absolutely NAIL LBJ. (RANDY QUAID is about 6'5 in real life)

It was eerie how good he did!

17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this is all really surprisingly on point with the BREAKING NEWS of TODAY, APPARENTLY our 45th President** apparently was not a fan of SNL, ironically during that odd four year span of his presidency where it was, miraculously, not the worst thing on television hands down. So much so he asked the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT to "look into it."

ah, but her e-mails, right?

** aka the one who ****ING LOST the 2020 election

Oh yeah, he was quite vocal about how Alec Baldwin's impersonation was "not funny". 

Personally I thought Alec did a bang up job! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, kingrat said:

The more of these posts I read, the choice to avoid SNL seems like one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Again, the '86-'90 Phil Hartman/Dana Carvey years are classic...CLASSIC.  They were everything the GHW Bush era deserved.  (Even if '80-'85 SNL wasn't, and HBO's "Not Necessarily the News" had to be the voice of the people for the Reagan years.)

Alec Baldwin was good, but only because Trump was his own buffoon.  It took a subtler approach to parody GHW and Dan Quayle:

(There was a 30th anniversary retrospective on NBC, and apart from Eddie Murphy, the '80-'85 years were shown as some mistake of history that was apologetically glossed over in record time.  As was Kevin Nealon, who was only remembered for two infamous sketches.)

Until you mentioned Randy Quaid's Reagan "impression" (and Terry Sweeney, the "token" gay cast member who seemed to only be on the show to play Nancy), the only Randy Quaid sketch I remembered was Quaid as squinting Eastwood-ish tough cop "Lone Wolf McBain", getting the standard 80's action-movie chewing out from the police captain:  "You're breaking the rules, McBain, you and your lone-wolf attitude have gotta learn to play by the book!"   Once out the door, Quaid melts into a pile of snowflake tears:  "The captain doesn't like me!  He thinks I'm a 'lone wolf'!  😭"

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

same.

and i don't particularly like ALEC BALDWIN.

For me real life ruins the impression.  When the actor mimicking the President has a very publicly feud with that person, it takes me out of the skit.  It is no longer an actor doing an impression, it's someone who doesn't like the person their impersonating and trying to get their kicks in.  I believe this is the first time with presidents on SNL that this has been an issue for me.

I think the more over the top impressions of the past were the best- i.e. Dana Carvey doing Bush 41.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

For me real life ruins the impression.  When the actor mimicking the President has a very publicly feud with that person, it takes me out of the skit.  It is no longer an actor doing an impression, it's someone who doesn't like the person their impersonating and trying to get their kicks in.  I believe this is the first time with presidents on SNL that this has been an issue for me.

I think the more over the top impressions of the past were the best- i.e. Dana Carvey doing Bush 41.

Yeah, CARVEY worked and PHIL HARTMAN made a good REAGAN, but CHEVY CHASE was bad as FORD and FRED ARMISON IN BROWNFACE PLAYED OBAMA, WHICH IS WRONG. (And he was extremely bad, in fact I would probably say he did the worst job of any actor playing the president on Saturday night live ever.)

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I apologize because I should also have mentioned that Phil Hartman made an excellent Clinton.

The late-80's Silver Age ended when Phil Hartman left the show to do "NewsRadio", and the cold open for the new season had the new cast auditioning "Who are we going to get to play Clinton?"
This was the year David Letterman's Chris Elliott had a short run on the show (no), Adam Sandler did a song (no), Rob Schneider did his shtick bits (no), and the black comic said "It ain't me, right?"

That sort of emphasized that the great '86 Renaissance of ex-Second City and Groundlings improv-group comics who could don a thousand faces to do political jokes had now been replaced by one-joke promoted writers and standups who had gotten the job on one idiosyncratic shtick, and couldn't fit the parts outside their comfort zones....Sort of what we had for the next twenty years.  🙁

1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

For everyone else who missed the headline, new DOJ evidence this week came out that Trump really DID ask the FCC and DOJ to "investigate" Alec Baldwin and Jimmy Kimmel, to see if there was some way they could lean on the shows to cut back on making meanie-weanie fun of him.

Accdg. to insiders, aides and the Department tried to find polite ways of telling him his idea was nuts.

• Thanks 1

Interesting discussions on SNL.  At least, with Obama, they eventually got a black man to play him rather than Fred A.  Dan Ackroyd made a good Jimmy Carter.  They still haven't found a good Biden - Jim C. was the worst but Woody H. wasn't too bad (still remember how goofy and innocent he was on Cheers).

Earlier this afternoon, I watched The King and I with Deborah Kerr, Rita Moreno and Yul Brynner.  I've also seen the Rex Harrison and Irene Dunne? non-musical version.  Went all weepy when the King of Siam dies (that is a spoiler).  Those were the days when many of us were ignorant of Marni Nixon.  The films are based on a real person - Anna Leeannowens (sp?).  Even if she didn't do her own singing, Deborah Kerr did a wonderful job.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Interesting discussions on SNL.  At least, with Obama, they eventually got a black man to play him rather than Fred A.  Dan Ackroyd made a good Jimmy Carter.  They still haven't found a good Biden - Jim C. was the worst but Woody H. wasn't too bad (still remember how goofy and innocent he was on Cheers).

Earlier this afternoon, I watched The King and I with Deborah Kerr, Rita Moreno and Yul Brynner.  I've also seen the Rex Harrison and Irene Dunne? non-musical version.  Went all weepy when the King of Siam dies (that is a spoiler).  Those were the days when many of us were ignorant of Marni Nixon.  The films are based on a real person - Anna Leeannowens (sp?).  Even if she didn't do her own singing, Deborah Kerr did a wonderful job.

The funny (ha-ha) thing about Jim Carrey stinking as Joe Biden so bad is that, according to some sources I read, Lorne Michaels had bent over backwards for years and begged him to be on the show.  And then he came in and apparently did absolutely no homework and was replaced fast. 

I thought Woody Harrelson did a pretty good job as @Diamond Joe”, but to be honest with you, Woody Harrelson is a damn good actor.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

The late-80's Silver Age ended when Phil Hartman left the show to do "NewsRadio", and the cold open for the new season had the new cast auditioning "Who are we going to get to play Clinton?"
This was the year David Letterman's Chris Elliott had a short run on the show (no), Adam Sandler did a song (no), Rob Schneider did his shtick bits (no), and the black comic said "It ain't me, right?"

That sort of emphasized that the great '86 Renaissance of ex-Second City and Groundlings improv-group comics who could don a thousand faces to do political jokes had now been replaced by one-joke promoted writers and standups who had gotten the job on one idiosyncratic shtick, and couldn't fit the parts outside their comfort zones....Sort of what we had for the next twenty years.  🙁

For everyone else who missed the headline, new DOJ evidence this week came out that Trump really DID ask the FCC and DOJ to "investigate" Alec Baldwin and Jimmy Kimmel, to see if there was some way they could lean on the shows to cut back on making meanie-weanie fun of him.

Accdg. to insiders, aides and the Department tried to find polite ways of telling him his idea was nuts.

Can you imagine what it must feel like to bust your hump and get into a major law school, work like a dog for three years, take and pass the bar, keep your nose clean, get a job with the department of justice, move up the rungs and live that as your life for 10 to 20 years, only to one day find yourself being asked by The President of the Gottdamn United States of America to “look into” Jimmy Kimmel for being “mean” to him?!?!

It could almost make you feel sorry for a career government lawyer.

Almost.

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Can you imagine what it must feel like to bust your hump and get into a major law school, work like a dog for three years, take and pass the bar, keep your nose clean, get a job with the department of justice, move up the rungs and live that as your life for 10 to 20 years, only to one day find yourself being asked by The President of the Gottdamn United States of America to “look into” Jimmy Kimmel for being “mean” to him?!?!

Of course, Trump's denying all charges by the "loser fake news", but still basically admitting it, as he's trying to push the idea of whether a sketch attacking conservative politicians qualifies as "a clear Democratic campaign contribution".

Or, to simplify, anyone who makes fun of him is part of the larger political conspiracy Out To Get Him.  (Like all those '16 rally protestors who had clearly been "hired" by Hillary.)

7 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

HEAR HEAR!

Baldwin just came off like a major jerk. And we all know he's capable of it. Ask Basinger or his daughter. As much as I like his acting, Glen Gary Glen Ross, Hunt For Red October, he came off very likable in Seinfeld's Comedian's Drinking Coffee series too, the guy has some serious anger issues. Trump can take a joke, when he hosted there was some funny moments like when the Mexican President slips him the check to pay for the wall. 

Kate McKinnon's  Kellyanne Conway was a thing of beauty. Carvey's Bush is legendary. I'm not a Will Ferrell fan, but he did a great W. 

On 6/19/2021 at 9:21 PM, Moe Howard said:

High Fidelity

John Cusack

I enjoyed that film too, having  spent many an hour in record stores helped.  JOHN CUSACK's movies are like that; they sneak up on you and become absorbing. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Do the Germans have a word for the sheer delight that comes from someone whom you DESPISED suddenly not being in your life at all anymore?

They should.

Drumpfenfraude?

Schadenfreude

The Grass Is Greener (1960)

An American invades an English country home with the intention of carrying off the lady of the house.

Cary Grant as a house husband! I believe that is all that you should need to know to compel you to watch this movie.

It is a comedy of manners directed by: Stanley Donen. It is of an age and society when gentlemen invited their wife's lover to the country for a weekend. It is therefore filled with gentle humor and innocent-seeming banter with the audience in on the joke.

Robert Mitchum as the interloper seems to me to be a bit miscast but he presents well.

Deborah Kerr is the wife in question and Jean Simmons rounds out the cast as her friend who is a little minx. 

There are no car chases, no explosions except a wife blowing up at her husband and it is quite late in the movie before anyone is shot.

8.6/10

It is currently in the: Paramount+ stable of movies available for streaming on their app/site.

• Like 2