Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

also, IF ANY OF YOU CAN NAME A FILM WITH BETTER CASTING THAN NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION, I AM OPEN TO HEARING IT, BUT WILL BE SURPRISED.

Just across the board, even from actors I don't particularly like (hi JULIETTE LEWIS), A+ work.

And the seasoned pros (EG MARSHALL, JOHN RANDOLPH, DIANE LADD, WILLIAM HICKEY) a handful of ACES.

Even down to the bit-parts like GRISWOLD'S BOSS'S WIFE who gives her HILARIOUS DESCRIPTION of COUSIN EDDIE to the police, "he was a bulbous, horrid man in a....powder-blue leisure suit."

• Like 1

The Family Way Poster

The Family Way (1966) TCM -9/10

A newly wed young man (Hywel Bennett) moves into his parents house with his new wife (Hayley Mills), he finds he cannot consummate his marriage.

This is a very funny and often touching film, one of my favorites of 1960s British cinema. The acting is excellent, Bennett was one of the more underrated actors of the time. Former child star Mills is now a lovely young lady and shows she can now handle adult roles. The best performances come from John Mills and Marjorie Rhodes as Bennett's parents. John Mills is the macho laborer father who is puzzled by his bookish, sensitive son. Rhodes provides some of the biggest laughs with her dry wit. John Comer is Hayley's understanding dad and Avril Angers plays her drama queen mother. The funniest scene in the film and one of favorite scenes ever has the four parents getting together to discuss the couple's problem. Rhodes tells of her own honeymoon in which her new husband brought his best mate along! The writing is very witty and expertly performed. There is also an interesting twist to the story.

There is great location shooting in Lancashire, beautifully capturing the country life of the town. Paul McCartney went on his first ever solo project when the did the music score for the film. It has more of a classical than pop feel, this came at around the time The Beatles were trying more experimental music with their Revolver album. Just a great film in every way.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Pretty good FEAR THY NEIGHBOR last night! 

EDIT AND SPOILER

It’s a little odd though how they go out of their way to paint one of the feuding neighbors As an impulsive, unbalanced, alcoholic, dog murdering maniac and then when he is the one at the end to get shot all the sudden they do a total 180 and start acting like he was some kind of a saint. But hey, it’s FEAR THY NEIGHBOR, And that’s one of the reasons why I love it so.

I thought it was a run of the mill episode. Same routine as so many others. Show is getting tired. I guess there isn't much leeway in the type of incidents they can portray. I felt sorry for the old guy, but can't justify murder. Police, as usual, did nothing.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Pretty good FEAR THY NEIGHBOR last night! 

EDIT AND SPOILER

It’s a little odd though how they go out of their way to paint one of the feuding neighbors As an impulsive, unbalanced, alcoholic, dog murdering maniac and then when he is the one at the end to get shot all the sudden they do a total 180 and start acting like he was some kind of a saint. But hey, it’s FEAR THY NEIGHBOR, And that’s one of the reasons why I love it so.

Yeah, that was really weird, how they pivoted....

32 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I thought it was a run of the mill episode. Same routine as so many others. Show is getting tired. I guess there isn't much leeway in the type of incidents they can portray. I felt sorry for the old guy, but can't justify murder. Police, as usual, did nothing.

this is going to sound awful, but I  "appreciate" how- more often than not- there is some EXTRA TRAGIC UNFORESEEN CONSEQUENCE at the end of FEAR THY NEIGHBOR- like someone "accidentally" kills someone else or there is collateral damage or an innocent victim/bystander who had nothing to do with all the petty fighting and such  [in one episode, the dude killed two police who showed up when he snapped.]

it's a good example of how BOTTLED RAGE and VIOLENCE can RESULT IN MAJOR UNFORESEEN TRAGEDY- like a snowball from HELL or something.

and again, it's a good reminder that -HARD AS IT MAY BE- in life, sometimes you just need to let that sh!t go...because the alternative can be WORSE.

• Like 1

Also you wonder just how accurate the story is portrayed. Vautrin looked up some incidents and there were differences in details as to what happened.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this is going to sound awful, but I  "appreciate" how- more often than not- there is some EXTRA TRAGIC UNFORESEEN CONSEQUENCE at the end of FEAR THY NEIGHBOR- like someone "accidentally" kills someone else or there is collateral damage or an innocent victim/bystander who had nothing to do with all the petty fighting and such  [in one episode, the dude killed two police who showed up when he snapped.]

it's a good example of how BOTTLED RAGE and VIOLENCE can RESULT IN MAJOR UNFORESEEN TRAGEDY- like a snowball from HELL or something.

and again, it's a good reminder that -HARD AS IT MAY BE- in life, sometimes you just need to let that sh!t go...because the alternative can be WORSE.

The old guy tried to sell his place but he was stuck there (details about that were murky). Hard to let it go when someone is harassing you (though he started it) The dog thing was reprehensible.

7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Family Way Poster

The Family Way (1966) TCM -9/10

A newly wed young man (Hywel Bennett) moves into his parents house with his new wife (Hayley Mills), he finds he cannot consummate his marriage.

This is a very funny and often touching film, one of my favorites of 1960s British cinema. The acting is excellent, Bennett was one of the more underrated actors of the time. Former child star Mills is now a lovely young lady and shows she can now handle adult roles. The best performances come from John Mills and Marjorie Rhodes as Bennett's parents. John Mills is the macho laborer father who is puzzled by his bookish, sensitive son. Rhodes provides some of the biggest laughs with her dry wit. John Comer is Hayley's understanding dad and Avril Angers plays her drama queen mother. The funniest scene in the film and one of favorite scenes ever has the four parents getting together to discuss the couple's problem. Rhodes tells of her own honeymoon in which her new husband brought his best mate along! The writing is very witty and expertly performed. There is also an interesting twist to the story.

There is great location shooting in Lancashire, beautifully capturing the country life of the town. Paul McCartney went on his first ever solo project when the did the music score for the film. It has more of a classical than pop feel, this came at around the time The Beatles were trying more experimental music with their Revolver album. Just a great film in every way.

Agree on all points, and I missed the Paul McCartney association. Marjorie Rhodes is wonderful as the uber-tolerant all knowing saint of a mother. 

It was surprising to see Haley Mills doing the full nude scene. Good job Haley! I found her relationship with her new husband awkwardly unconvincing compared to the easy chemistry between her and her brother in law on their outings. Bennett's inability to perform based on 'thin walls' and a wedding night prank feel like flimsy excuses when, if given the chance, every guy in the neighborhood would have found a way to accomplish the task. Then the father's romantic reminiscing of honeymoon walks on the beach , not with his wife, but with his friend who had gone along with the honeymoon couple! It'd be completely unsurprising to visit the family in a few years and find both Bennet and his father divorced and living 'alternative' lifestyles. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Also you wonder just how accurate the story is portrayed. Vautrin looked up some incidents and there were differences in details as to what happened.

OH YEAH, where ANYTHING THESE DAYS IS CONCERNED, I AM ALWAYS SKEPTICAL!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

The old guy tried to sell his place but he was stuck there (details about that were murky). Hard to let it go when someone is harassing you (though he started it) The dog thing was reprehensible.

YEAH, AS SOON AS the dog thing came up I said "I'm not saying you SHOULD kill this guy, but I am saying that if you do, I understand."

This was the first FEAR THY NEIGHBOR in FOREVER where they ACTUALLY GOT ACTORS WHO STRONGLY RESEMBLED THE ORIGINAL PEOPLE THO! I personally was amused in the past by how WILDLY off-base some of the casting choices were, usually the actors they got were at least 10 times hotter than the original people, it was like they hired CARRIE FISHER from SOAPDISH to be their casting director.

• Haha 3
20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

The old guy tried to sell his place but he was stuck there

the actor who played him HAD A BLAST in the scene where he TORE UP THE SIGN!!!!

(which I seriously doubt you can actually do in real life.)

• Haha 1

did you miss the FEAR THY NEIGHBOR this season that was SET IN HAWAII, yet was OBVIOUSLY FILMED in WHAT LOOKED LIKE NEBRASKA doubling for MAUI!?

They went to the HOME DEPOT and picked up three potted palms and were like "done."

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Oh jeesh.   I've never watched this show and now I feel I absolutely must to keep up with the cool kids!

you really should, although IT WILL DEFINITELY MAKE YOU NERVOUS AROUND YOUR OWN NEIGHBORS!!!! (If you are not already on bad terms with them!)

I dunno what kind of cable system you got, but it's on THE INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY CHANNEL, which I get through HULU and- at the moment- ALL SEVEN SEASONS ARE AVAILABLE!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

did you miss the FEAR THY NEIGHBOR this season that was SET IN HAWAII, yet was OBVIOUSLY FILMED in WHAT LOOKED LIKE NEBRASKA doubling for MAUI!?

They went to the HOME DEPOT and picked up three potted palms and were like "done."

Yeah, the one with the Neighborhood NAZI???

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Oh jeesh.   I've never watched this show and now I feel I absolutely must to keep up with the cool kids!

YES! :D

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

you really should, although IT WILL DEFINITELY MAKE YOU NERVOUS AROUND YOUR OWN NEIGHBORS!!!! (If you are not already on bad terms with them!)

I dunno what kind of cable system you got, but it's on THE INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY CHANNEL, which I get through HULU and- at the moment- ALL SEVEN SEASONS ARE AVAILABLE!

Dateline ID its called. I watch it about as much as TCM! :D

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

also, IF ANY OF YOU CAN NAME A FILM WITH BETTER CASTING THAN NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION, I AM OPEN TO HEARING IT, BUT WILL BE SURPRISED.

Just across the board, even from actors I don't particularly like (hi JULIETTE LEWIS), A+ work.

And the seasoned pros (EG MARSHALL, JOHN RANDOLPH, DIANE LADD, WILLIAM HICKEY) a handful of ACES.

Even down to the bit-parts like GRISWOLD'S BOSS'S WIFE who gives her HILARIOUS DESCRIPTION of COUSIN EDDIE to the police, "he was a bulbous, horrid man in a....powder-blue leisure suit."

As far as the Vacation films go, i thought this was the weakest cast for the two kids- Rusty and Audrey, or at least for Rusty.  Almost a non-character in this film.  But yeah, the overall supporting cast is great.  Wish they'd made a proper sequel to this installment instead of the Cousin Eddie made for TV one that did get made.  They could've called it Family Reunion Vacation where Clark does invite all of the family out to see the new pool and most of the supporting cast could've been kept, barring ill health with the older ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

As far as the Vacation films go, i thought this was the weakest cast for the two kids- Rusty and Audrey, or at least for Rusty.  Almost a non-character in this film.  But yeah, the overall supporting cast is great.  Wish they'd made a proper sequel to this installment instead of the Cousin Eddie made for TV one that did get made.  They could've called it Family Reunion Vacation where Clark does invite all of the family out to see the new pool and most of the supporting cast could've been kept, barring ill health with the older ones.

Christmas was originally going to be "Ski Vacation" when it was first announced, but long comic highlights of Clark careening downhill were reduced to just one scene in the movie.

By that point in the 80's, though, we were already drowning in bad drive-in ski-lodge comedies.

• Like 1

Ok, I've kept quiet for 4 pages worth of SNL trashing. I was prime age (18) when SNL started and  always rushed home from a night out to catch it. Of course it was revolutionary sketch comedy in the first few seasons, but when revisiting the "golden years" doesn't hold up well for me. I have been pleasantly surprised in the past few years at how much I have enjoyed both the writing & cast. I love Baldwin's Drumpf and think it was brilliant. Many sketches have me laughing out loud & I find the present cast excellent.

Drumpf is a big crybaby & needs to grow up & realize: elect a clown, expect a circus.

But obviously we are different camps, possibly a generational thing as I would never watch a show called FEAR THY NEIGHBOR - just tawdry. Knowing that "true life reality" shows can so easily skew perspectives, I don't waste a moment's consideration. Remember-I was approached with an offer to "star" in one a few years ago.

But I am glad all of you voiced your opinions, otherwise I'd never know there's people out there who feel that way. Reading your opinions really helps broaden my own view of what's popular/not popular & why. I'm going to chalk up our differences to being an old lady hippie.

beautiful-senior-boho-stylish-woman-pict

• Like 3

TikiSoo, we must be about the same age, since SNL came on during my last hear of high school.

Last night, I just left the TV on after Jeopardy and watched the Daytime Emmys followed by Blue Bloods.

Yesterday afternoon, aside from listening to news about the Chauvin sentencing and the horrible tragedy in Florida, I re-watched Bride Wars, and later, a small snippet of Pretty Woman.

As far as SNL, I watched a clip of Steve Martin doing King Tut from SNL on YouTube (among other snippets).  I did it because I needed a laugh.  There was also a clip of him winning a date with Dean Martin's daughter on The Dating Game.

Now, right now I'm reading a Bertie Wooster book (written by someone named Ben Schott (Jeeves and the King of Clubs), and I wish I could see the Hugh Laurie /Stephen Fry version which PBS ran.  I've read a great deal of the laugh-out-loud PG Wodehouse and I would love to see both these fine actors' portrayals.  There is also an Arthur Treacher version with David Niven - that was a movie.  Has anyone ever seen it?

• Like 1