Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

author's note, I am about to discuss a film and a filmmaker that- when the name of either is mentioned- the train has a tendency to jump the tracks. All apologies for any chaos that may ensue.

(music starts)

"Midnight, the stars and you....."

See the source image

THE SHINING (1980)

"ROKU" must be from the CANTONESE for "lasts about four years" because my FOUR YEAR OLD ROKU TV SET DIED ON ME and I went and bought a nicer, even bigger one (42 INCHES?), and then I decided to check this out (for the ninth or tenth time?) on the ROKU channel, where it does have commercials but is unedited and does include the sometimes deleted sequences of WENDY being a nitwit during the hotel tour, the SKELETONS in the lobby (which I actually think should've stayed cut, IT'S HOKEY) and more of  JACK'S INTERVIEW.

Aided by those 42 inches of screen, I remembered how EXHILLERATING and (DARE I SAY?) GAME-CHANGING that third act Is: it makes up for what I see as numerous shortcomings in the first two.

STEADICAM and POV has become so ubiquitous by now that I think it's easy to take for granted how RIVETING (and innovative) ITS USE IS IN THIS MOVIE:

See the source image

as for NICHOLSON, i have always felt that he was in the unique position of being both the perfect actor for and totally miscast in this role. I mean, it is what it is, but with RANDALL P McMURPHY at the helm, all the nuance goes out that bathroom window as he takes that axe to the door.

See the source image

Would it have been a different movie with a different actor, say JON VOIGHT, who shaded the character and gave us more of a sense of FIGHT to JACK'S PLIGHT?

Absolutely, but that doesn't negate how ABSOLUTELY PERFECT NICHOLSON IS in the ballroom scenes with MR GRADY THE FORMER CARETAKER, or in the scenes wherein he snaps at his wife for interrupting him while he is writing, [and I will tell you as someone who is a (still mercifully un-produced) writer, I WILL REACT THE EXACT SAME WAY IF NOT WORSE IF YOU COME AND INTERRUPT MY PROCESS WITH SOME STUPID BULLSH*T WHILE I AM TRYING TO HAMMER OUT A SCRIPT. ]

See the source image

As for SHELLEY DUVALL, I know I like to kid her for being a WALKING EDVARD MUNCH PAINTING (and LORD KNOWS she could have stood to have gone to a KNIFE HOLDING CLASS to prepare for the role, I have always myself thought that knives were pretty self-explanatory, but I don't know, apparently SHELLEY was just totally new to the concept. I still don't know WHY SHE HOLDS IT LIKE THAT)...sorry, where was I? Oh yes, I KNOW this experience was really hard on SHELLEY and I know she's been having a difficult time lately (also, she AND KUBRICK were NOMINATED FOR GOLDEN RASPBERRIES FOR THEIR WORK ON THE SHINING!!!!!) but SHE IS OUTSTANDING IN THIS FILM, really a tour-de-force, a very real and fearless performance, the kind that is so full of guts and risks that it could be mistaken for bad acting when it is very much the opposite (see also: JULIE HARRIS in anything)

If I could fudge any one thing about the 1980 Oscar Nominations, it would have been to get SHELLEY a BEST ACTRESS nomination for her work in this film.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Now, right now I'm reading a Bertie Wooster book (written by someone named Ben Schott (Jeeves and the King of Clubs), and I wish I could see the Hugh Laurie /Stephen Fry version which PBS ran.  I've read a great deal of the laugh-out-loud PG Wodehouse and I would love to see both these fine actors' portrayals.  

For some reason, it's currently unavailable on Amazon (even on Britbox and Acorn's paywalls), but it's on disk, FWIW.  Thank goodness YouTube is still the wild, wild West of movie rights.

And Fry & Laurie are the definition of Born-to-Play casting:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Love The Shining. But after seeing Popeye, Duvall will never be anything but. . . 

And Olive Oyl will always be Duvall, but to our glory-days-of-80's-cable generation, there were also the Faerie Tales...

Snapshot+3+%252811-28-2016+1-46+PM%2529.

Beyond the Darkness (1979)

A man loves his fiancée very much and wants her always by his side. She dies. He is a taxidermist. Enough said.

I would not call the gore in this movie gratuitous. I feel 'competitive' might be a better description because each incident attempts to be more graphic and more disturbing than the last.

The first is when he begins his work by removing her internal organs. It is obvious that real animal organs were used. I must suppose that his eating her heart was meant as character development. I believe that the de-fingernail-ing of the witness was intended to evoke a stronger reaction because the victim was still alive. The hacking up of that body on a bathroom floor might have been a step backwards if it had not been for the housekeeper's unrepentant glee as she swung the cleaver. Each after that ups the ante in some way.

I came to this movie by reading in several places that this was director Joe D'Amato's best work. I hope that it is because that will provide an excuse to not watch any of his lesser movies. I have found gems in the subgenres of: Japanese horror and: French horror. I am sorry to say I have yet to discover one in: Italian horror.

6.1/10

Available for watching free with commercials on: TubiTV.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SHE IS OUTSTANDING IN THIS FILM, really a tour-de-force, a very real and fearless performance, the kind that is so full of guts and risks

Could not agree more.  SHELLEY DUVALL is perfect for that role. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

Love The Shining. But after seeing Popeye, Duvall will never be anything but. . . 

aafcf96af96da433da1bbc33d5ecc1f8.jpg

Have "Popeye" on Laserdisc.

Ever seen Shelley as a witch?  Claimed to invented morning breath and foot fungus. 

latest?cb=20151105155343

f34dcd090eee8c7afad99d1655d7258f.jpg

• Like 1

A FTN double-header on Thursday. Sweet. I didn't watch it last week because I was glued to the

TCM juvie night. A city FTN and a country FTN. Maybe they could add a little spice to the show

by letting people bet on who will be the killer and who will be the killee. I would fear any neighbor

when they're living in those wall to wall row houses and you can easily hear what's going on next

door. That would annoy anyone. I'm glad the old timer got what he deserved for his fake self-defense

attempt. As for the country episode, that old guy was pretty aggressive for a supposed old anti-military

hippie. Shot four times in the chest and survived. That's why you should always go for the head shot.

But he finally did leave. I noticed that in the actual video of him yelling at his neighbor it looks like

the middle of summer, but in the TV show there's a bit of snow on the ground! Okay, whatever. 

I too am not sure why he couldn't sell his house. If it had been paid for he could skip the mortgage

and just buy another house for cash, even if he had to downsize a bit. Double whatever.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

And Olive Oyl will always be Duvall, but to our glory-days-of-80's-cable generation, there were also the Faerie Tales...

Snapshot+3+%252811-28-2016+1-46+PM%2529.

She became the Loretta Young of the 80s.

”Hello, I’m Shelley Duvall...”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, EricJ said:

And Olive Oyl will always be Duvall, 

Indeed. It's tricky to reconcile Olive Oyl in bed with Woody Allen in Annie Hall. That's almost like Olive sleeping with the Jeep.

10 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Indeed. It's tricky to reconcile Olive Oyl in bed with Woody Allen in Annie Hall. That's almost like Olive sleeping with the Jeep.

Check out NASHVILLE (1975)!

its OLIVE OYL as ROLLERGIRL from BOOGIE NIGHTS!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SHE IS OUTSTANDING IN THIS FILM, really a tour-de-force, a very real and fearless performance, the kind that is so full of guts and risks that it could be mistaken for bad acting when it is very much the opposite (see also: JULIE HARRIS in anything)

Thank you for saying that. I like them both very much.

But I have to say at first I hated Shelly Duvall in THE SHINING- I thought she was goofy & weak. (with horrible wardrobe) But being one of my favorite movies, the more viewings, the more I realized she was the PERFECT choice because of that.

A stronger woman would have had Jack's balls tied in the first 20 minutes.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Thank you for saying that. I like them both very much.

But I have to say at first I hated Shelly Duvall in THE SHINING- I thought she was goofy & weak. (with horrible wardrobe) But being one of my favorite movies, the more viewings, the more I realized she was the PERFECT choice because of that.

YES!!!!!!!!!!

So many modern viewers criticize this aspect of the film, not realizing that they’re projecting their own beliefs onto the character.

I mean, believe it or not, even in the 21st-century there are women out there who have been conditioned by society to accept and tolerate and even defend bad behavior from the men in their lives, And by no reason does this mean that they’re bad people or have shortcomings as characters Or that a depiction of such a woman means that something is dishonest. 

23 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I’m imagining THE SHINING starring PAM GRIER as a ten minute short film, Within that time she not only would’ve tied the balls, but she also would’ve evicted the ghosts and shoveled all 25 miles of road by hand, and had The Overlook open, completely booked, and fully functioning.

• Thanks 1

A few more thoughts on THE SHINING: 

1. IMAGINE HARRISON FORD in the part. (It helps if you’ve seen THE MOSQUITO COAST.) 

2. He’s a very very nice man, but Mr. Halloran must be an *awful* cook to use all that canned food.

3. I’m going to post the trailer for the movie below. It’s amazing that the MPAA signed off on this in (checks notes) 1980. It’s not for the squeamish, but worth checking out because they use an extended version of the shot in the film which shows some of the furniture in the lobby being carried along with the tidal wave of blood.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Could not agree more.  SHELLEY DUVALL is perfect for that role. 

Duvall suffers serious mental problems now unfortunately,She retired about 20 years ago,The filming of the Shining did not help her at all mentally the filming of the famous scene with the axe 127 takes took over 3 weeks, imagine that.She stayed in character for more than a month,it was a horrible experience for her,Kubrick uses women basically as props. She was with Paul Simon for more than 2 years she introduced her friend Carrie Fisher to him... true to form he dumped Duvall at the airport on her way to start the filming  of the Shining   i never liked Simon anyway.She now lives in Blanco Texas pop 1800,50 miles west of Austin in a supposed to be 'rundown ranch'.She barely survives with small royalties and social security apparently.You would not recognize her now i can guarantee it...

27 minutes ago, nakano said:

Duvall suffers serious mental problems now unfortunately,She retired about 20 years ago,The filming of the Shining did not help her at all mentally the filming of the famous scene with the axe 127 takestook over 3 weeks, imagine that.She stayed in character for more than a month,it was a horrible experience for her,Kubrick uses women basically as props. She now lives in Blanco Texas 50 miles west of Austin in a supposed to be 'rundown ranch'.She barely survives with small royalties and social security apparently

Please don’t think I’m taking up for Stanley because I’m not, however I will say that if you’re a director making a film like THE SHINING, Then you definitely don’t want a set that is too warm and fuzzy and chummy. I mean, it’s not LITTLE WOMEN- You need your subject matter here to be as agitated and isolated and ON EDGE as possible.

THAT SAID, For anyone who has seen the making of footage of this film, there is little doubt that Stanley ran well past the end zone and into sadistic and abusive territory. And it’s a shame, because I think Duvall could’ve given as good a performance with a Director who sat down with her at the very beginning Of the shoot to explain thar it was going to be a difficult role and she was going to need to be EMOTIONAL and isolated, and not really talk to the crew, or have friendly conversations on set, It was going to be a real slog and a challenge to her abilities, but there was no need to constantly cast her abilities into doubt- that’s where it needed to stop.

Taunting, name-calling, assorted head games – there was no need for any of that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

IMAGINE HARRISON FORD in the part. (It helps if you’ve seen THE MOSQUITO COAST.) 

Harrison was quite menacing in What Lies Beneath. I don't find Nicholson particularly scary. Nutty, yes. Scary, no. Duvall is nearly defenseless and she's still a fair match. It's the other Overlook 'guests' like the twins and that ghoul broad in the bathtub that would send me packing on my BigWheel knockoff. 

• Haha 2

Loved the Mosquito Coast and didn't know that Justin Thoreaux (sp?) was related to Paul T., who wrote the book the film was based on.  I think he has some mini-series (remake of MC) on one of the streaming services.  I like Jack N. in the Shining (Scatman C. - he seemed to have a bit of the shining also).  My favorite part of the movie is when Jack writes about all work and no play repeatedly over the typewriter.  It is now surprising that he goes after his family because King lays the groundwork for it with references to domestic/physical abuse.  The movie was too gory for me.  As for What Lies Beneath, I didn't care for it.  For a better take on a murderer, I recommend two movies (both starring Bogey).  The first is The Two Mrs. Carrolls with Barbara Stanwyck and the second (better movie) is with the woman I first saw as Ado Annie... Gloria Graham, In a Lonely Place.  Spoiler alert... even if he is cleared on one murder, doesn't mean he is a safe man to have a marriage/relationship with.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

2. He’s a very very nice man, but Mr. Halloran must be an *awful* cook to use all that canned food.

Having read the King novel before, it's IMHO that Kubrick's flick is an absolute waste of time and money.  But I'm intending to address the abridged quote up there....

Having had two Uncles that owned a restaurant and at which my Mother sometimes worked at to help and pick up a few bucks in, and where I've spent a lot of time hanging around in, and not to mention the five different restaurants I've worked in over the years, I can say you might(or not) be surprised at just HOW MUCH of the food they serve comes out of cans!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Check out NASHVILLE (1975)!

its OLIVE OYL as ROLLERGIRL from BOOGIE NIGHTS!!!!

But she seemed almost normal giving sensible advice to Steve Martin in Roxanne (1987) - For Shelley, that's acting!

• Thanks 1

Toyed back and forth with the idea of doing this one, but just for the sake of rare-film hunting:

The Gong Show Movie (1980) - 👎

13357_1.jpg

...Oh, don't give that face--I wouldn't have gone to see it in theaters either (and couldn't, as it was rated mild-R), but when it disappeared into missing-in-action limbo status for 30 years, before being dug up by our brave third-party disk labels, all of a sudden, you couldn't keep me away from it when I saw it just about to leave TubiTV at the end of the month.   That's how to tease a film fan.

When Sam Rockwell played goofy game-show producer/host Chuck Barris in Barris's "autobiography" Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002), in which Barris "confessed" to being a secret CIA assassin, and everyone asked "Gosh...is it true??", I was one of the 70's geezers facepalming "Uh, no, I think he was spoofing us a tad... 🤦‍♂️ "  Barris had already done a more accurate, if equally spoofed, expose on his life when he tried to take "Too hot for TV!" outtakes from his goofy talent show, and hire Robert Downey Sr. (Iron Man's "Putney Swope" dad) to create a "satirical" look at the culture-zeitgeist Frankenstein monster he'd created, and how hard his life was as a simple TV producer, with everyone from his dentist to waiters in restaurants trying to audition song-and-dance acts wherever he goes...Yuk yuk.  It got some critical notice for its ambitions of "Not the movie you thought it was going to be!", and it might be funny if Downey, or a more subtle comic director, had been allowed to handle it, but on a low budget, Barris had to direct it himself, and his style is...not subtle.  Characters float in and out to do "Satire!" on a sitcom level, and poor, troubled Barris, FWIW, comes off as, if not a nice guy, at least a regular one, the ex-Dating Game producer who had to just work a professional TV job, and liked to hang out jamming country and blues with the show band after hours.  We see some genuine BTS footage of act auditions, and it doesn't look like he had time for paid assassinations.

Ironically, the only funny parts of the movie ARE the Gong Show outtakes (of which, despite the marketing, we only get about ten minutes total)--Since by that time, the show had long since jumped its own railroad tracks as a "Goofy amateur competition" and had become literally a lowbrow daytime-matinee burlesque show, with Chuckie as top-banana, a string of running-gag regular bananas, regular panelist Jaye P. Morgan as the raunchy headliner-babe, and no end of amateur novelty acts.  Barris pays tribute to some of the then-favorite faces from the show for icon value--the Unknown Comic and fan-favorites the Bait Brothers show up in cameos but don't get to do their acts--and it's a breath of fresh air from the Satirical Self-Examination to see some genuinely spontaneous goofiness both from the jawdropping amateurs, and some consciously goofy acts (like four male nuns singing Tom Lehrer's "Vatican Rag").  If he could have distanced himself, the day-in-the-poor-life story would be funny, but as a vanity project, reminds us of why Woody Allen annoyed us in "Stardust Memories".

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Having read the King novel before, it's IMHO that Kubrick's flick is an absolute waste of time and money.  But I'm intending to address the abridged quote up there....

Having had two Uncles that owned a restaurant and at which my Mother sometimes worked at to help and pick up a few bucks in, and where I've spent a lot of time hanging around in, and not to mention the five different restaurants I've worked in over the years, I can say you might(or not) be surprised at just HOW MUCH of the food they serve comes out of cans!  ;) 

Sepiatone

I think it’s safe to say that a majority of people who have read the book dislike the movie or at least prefer the book to the movie.

(I mean I don’t think CNN has ever done a poll or anything, but if they did...)