Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

So many modern viewers criticize this aspect of the film, not realizing that they’re projecting their own beliefs onto the character.

And like most of KUBRICK films after SPARTACUS, THE SHINING avoids the typical expected TROPE.   THE SHINING is one of the few film adaptations I can think of that improved the story... of course, the other 2 examples that rush to mind are also Stephen King adaptations...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Harrison was quite menacing in What Lies Beneath. I don't find Nicholson particularly scary. Nutty, yes. Scary, no. Duvall is nearly defenseless and she's still a fair match. It's the other Overlook 'guests' like the twins and that ghoul broad in the bathtub that would send me packing on my BigWheel knockoff. 

A few years ago, Steven Speilberg did that virtual reality/video game film Ready Player One, and by far one of the most entertaining parts of it was a digital recreation of the Overlook hotel, and having a burst of deliciously dark humor in having all the players who had never seen The Shining stumble into the bathroom of room 237 and meet the infamous bathtub gal. For anyone who had seen The Shining, it was hysterical.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

A few years ago, Steven Speilberg did that virtual reality/video game film Ready Player One, and by far one of the most entertaining parts of it was a digital recreation of the Overlook hotel, and having a burst of deliciously dark humor in having all the players who had never seen The Shining stumble into the bathroom of room 237 and meet the infamous bathtub gal. For anyone who had seen The Shining, it was hysterical.

There was a game called Duke Nukem it was an early (30 years ago) first person shooter, HUGLY popular. Like most very popular games back then there were many, many maps and mods created by users, some very well done. A very gifted guy created a Shining version. He began it in 1997 and it took him 9 months to complete. The 'Read Me' file that downloaded with the patch files was a diary of the entire process. He had to rewatch the film "millions" of times to get the map as accurate as possible, then created skins of the primary characters. It's legendary and still available.

https://www.moddb.com/games/duke-nukem-3d/addons/redrum

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

There was a game called Duke Nukem it was an early (30 years ago) first person shooter, HUGLY popular. Like most very popular games back then there were many, many maps and mods created by users, some very well done. A very gifted guy created a Shining version. He began it in 1997 and it took him 9 months to complete. The 'Read Me' file that downloaded with the patch files was a diary of the entire process. He had to rewatch the film "millions" of times to get the map as accurate as possible, then created skins of the primary characters. It's legendary and still available.

Although I remember when Doom II (a similar FPS) had a program that let fans create new levels, sprites and sounds, and fans created every possible sound effects patch for the game.

I remember playing with Star Trek sounds, Monty Python & Holy Grail sounds, two different packs of MST3K sounds, and my favorite, playing Doom II with Rocky & Bullwinkle sound effects...Where the boss-level monster would emerge with "Mehehehh...Allow me to introduce myself:"
(Hero death:  "Well, will our hero be able to extricate himself?"  "I will as soon as I get loose!" "Tune in for our next exciting episode, 'It's Only a Flesh Wound', or 'Better Dead Than Lead'!")  😅

I'm not sure if there was a Shining one back then--as it wasn't as cult-fan groomed as it was after Ready Player One--but since there was a sound-fx pack for every other 80's/90's cult movie, I'm sure there was probably one I missed.

• Like 2

In The Shining, the house devours Nicholson's character (photograph on wall)

Last night, I rewatched Juno with Ellen now Eliot Page.  Good movie but left me wondering whether it is only in her future projects (or those not yet released that he will now be billed as Eliot).  I like the movie and it reminds me of what a versatile actor JK Simmons is.

Tonight, MeTV runs b&w versions of old Dick Van Dyke show (2 back to back).

• Thanks 1

also worth mentioning is THE SHINNING, the SIMPSONS HALLOWEEN EPISODE PARODY wherein HOMER, MARGE and the kids agree to be winter caretakers for the Overlook.

See the source image

it's a meticulously loving and pretty hilarious tribute right down to the poster of the SCOTTISH LASSIES over the bed, although i think it maybe gives certain aspects of the film an undeserved "bad rap" (IE the abruptness of HALLORAN/GROUNDSKEEPER WILLIE'S demise.)

• Like 1

The Honey Pot (1967)

A man invites three past loves to his place to squabble over what they will inherit from him.

I would state that the lead is underhanded, devious and just generally a cad and a lout but that would be redundant as I already identified him as a man. There are a few fairly interesting twists in this deconstruction of a romantic comedy.

The cast is unimpeachable: Rex Harrison, Susan Hayward, Cliff Robertson, Capucine, Edie Adams and Maggie Smith. All their performances are first-rate if not particularly inspired. 

7.2/10

Available free with commercials for a few remaining days on: TubiTv.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Instead of recording SISTERS '72 on TCM Underground, I just borrowed a copy from the library.  I like both Margot Kidder & Jennifer Salt and this is Brian DePalma's directorial debut, so I had pretty high expectations. 

Margot Kidder's performance was astoundingly good, she successfully kept a French Canadian accent and suspended my disbelief the entire movie. Jennifer Salt was not her sister, but instead a neighbor, who calls police when she sees a murder take place in an apartment (Kidder's) window.

Obviously DePalma is paying homage to Hitchcock's films in several ways in this movie, very successfully imho. He's not relying on Hitchcock tropes to tell the story or be amusing, just kind of using some of the same elements to tell this very different story.

Sisters_(1973).jpg

The weakest part of this story is- even I guessed what was going on & I can't figure out the villain in the simplest Charlie Chan or Dead End Kids B picture. So the simplistic plot is really not very engaging or suspenseful. I was kind of struck by several aspects of the story that are horribly dated, especially police's dismissive attitude towards Salt's accusations. That said, I also know it's bad form to tell an officer what they have to do, ie "you've got to arrest her"  "search her apartment" etc.  LOL the morality issue that anyone who engages in first date sleepovers can expect to pay....with their life!

The other low point was the effects, especially the red paint standing in for blood. Red color was laughably unrealistic, as were the stab wounds only shown in quick cuts a la PSYCHO. The strongest points were Margot Kidder (she's just fabulous even in a stinker) and the frame compositions. There was a lot of use of split screens which I quite enjoyed. After all a director photographs both sides of a conversation, it's kind of cool seeing them play simultaneously.

This movie made me realize there just isn't enough good Margot Kidder movies out there.

• Like 3

Bound (1996)

A kept woman falls for the ex-convict doing plumbing repairs next door. Their future together depends on neutralizing the man keeping her and picking up any loose cash laying around as a nest egg. The facts that he is a vindictive and violent psychopath and they are taking two million in mob money complicates matters.

I knew of Jennifer Tilly from her lighter comedy roles and so the intensity of her performance here surprised me. She presented with astounding clarity her heterosexual-by-trade but lesbian-by-nature situation. 

I believe that: 'intensity' is a good description of many aspects of this movie. The timing and staging throughout the movie imprint the action very strongly on the viewer's mind. The fact that every character is duplicitous adds greatly to the complexity.

I am sorry to say that there is violence and gore which may dissuade some viewers. It is a minor percentage of the movie but it is rather intense.

8.2/10

I can currently find it streaming only on: Paramount+.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Instead of recording SISTERS '72 on TCM Underground, I just borrowed a copy from the library. ...

This movie made me realize there just isn't enough good Margot Kidder movies out there.

they showed SISTERS again?? Man, UNDERGROUND has gotten STALE.

I can make it through PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE and DRESSED TO KILL (once) and BODY DOUBLE, but damned if I  can get past 20 minutes of SISTERS.

I also loved MARGOT KIDDER.  This used to play on HBO all the time when I was a kid and I adored it, in retrospect it looks like a GIANT WEDGE OF CHEESE, but it still might be fun if you can find it anywhere (it's gotten very obscure, I can't even find a proper trailer or any scenes on youtube.)

• Like 1

also, DANNY PEARY in his book INSIDE OSCAR, gave MARGOT KIDDER an ALTERNATE BEST ACTRESS NOMINATION for her work in the 1981 film HEARTACHES, I can't find a trailer for it online, but I can find the entire film on u-yay ube-tay (I wont post it here lest i offend any moderators or copyright GODS) JUST KNOW THAT IT'S THERE.

She is also in a less bad than usual episode of TALES FROM THE CRYPT, the HBO series that served as a sort of CABLE TV MURDER SHE WROTE for fallen film stars in the early 1990's (ie, a gig you did to make a house payment because no one else would touch you and you sure as HELL weren't gonna do NETWORK.) it's also on youtube in full and there are worse ways to kill twentysome minutes, provided you skip over the CRYPT KEEPER and his shrieking intro.

THATs's HER IN THE MAKE-UP:

See the source image

EDIT: She also has a VERY EFFECTIVE small part in ROB ZOMBIE'S UNFORTUNATE SEQUEL TO HIS UNFORTUNATE HALLOWEEN REMAKE, She plays a psychiatrist to the survivor of the first film (don't worry, she lives.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, nakano said:

Duvall suffers serious mental problems now unfortunately,She retired about 20 years ago,The filming of the Shining did not help her at all mentally the filming of the famous scene with the axe 127 takes took over 3 weeks, imagine that.She stayed in character for more than a month,it was a horrible experience for her,Kubrick uses women basically as props. She was with Paul Simon for more than 2 years she introduced her friend Carrie Fisher to him... true to form he dumped Duvall at the airport on her way to start the filming  of the Shining   i never liked Simon anyway.She now lives in Blanco Texas pop 1800,50 miles west of Austin in a supposed to be 'rundown ranch'.She barely survives with small royalties and social security apparently.You would not recognize her now i can guarantee it...

I think we all know that the coldness to be found in most Kubrick films is a reflection of the coldness of the director himself. He was not a man who could empathize with others and, of course, he was a classic control freak.He disowned Spartacus, for example, one of the best Roman toga epics ever made, because so much of it was the vision of its producer/star (Kirk Douglas).

There is  battle scene in the film in which Spartacus had to chop off the arm of a Roman soldier. It was a dangerous stunt inasmuch as a one armed stunt man had to wear a prosthetic arm in order to have it cut off.  But there could have been a serious accident to that stunt man in the process. Kubrick didn't care and insisted upon retakes which Douglas refused to do for fear of injury to the man.

So for you to say that Kubrick made life hell for Shelley Duvall while shooting the axe scene or re-shooting it and re-shooting it again comes as no surprise.

That doesn't make Kubrick unique. Other directors could be monsters, as well, but Stanley was definitely a cold one and it had to be challenging for any actor of sensitivity or self doubts to work with him, at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog Poster

The Lodger (1927) TCM 7/10

A man renting a room is suspected of being the killer of several women in London.

This was my first viewing of this early Hitchcock silent film. Despite it being on so late last night, I was engrossed enough to watch it all the way through. It had many of the Hitchcock touches even though this was his first thriller. It was the first time we see the obsession with blondes as all the victims are fair haired women.  Ivor Novello has a striking looking face and was very good in the title role. An interesting thing has a triangle forming between the Lodger, the landlady's daughter and the cop on the case. The climax involving an angry mob, the Lodger and a pair of handcuffs still packs a punch.

• Like 8
17 hours ago, EricJ said:

Although I remember when Doom II (a similar FPS) had a program that let fans create new levels, sprites and sounds, and fans created every possible sound effects patch for the game.

Remember the original Call of Duty? The add-on United Offensive? In those days you could run your own (not rent theirs) server and mod to your hearts content. Want a pistol that would produce the damage of an artillery strike with the sound of the Blazing Saddles bean party? No problem. Just crack open the appropriate file and tweak it. 

• Haha 1

I just finished re-watching Sneakers.  It has a great cast led by Robert Redford.  Outstanding performer is David Straithairn (sp?) as the blind Whistler.  Very versatile actor.  Watching River Phoenix, who is also in the film made me sad:  so much potential cut short by drug abuse.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I just finished re-watching Sneakers.  It has a great cast led by Robert Redford.  Outstanding performer is David Straithairn (sp?) as the blind Whistler.  Very versatile actor.  Watching River Phoenix, who is also in the film made me sad:  so much potential cut short by drug abuse.

I haven't seen Sneakers yet, but it's on my list because I'm a fan of Robert Redford.  David Strathairn is excellent as Edward R. Murrow in Good Night and Good Luck.  He's also appearing in Guillermo del Toro's upcoming new adaptation of Nightmare Alley.  Strathairn is playing "Pete" the drunk married to Zeena. 

• Like 3
On 6/27/2021 at 5:09 PM, SansFin said:

The Honey Pot (1967) Available free with commercials for a few remaining days on: TubiTv.

Watched it last night, thank you!

Maggie Smith was great, well ALL performances were o'course. It was a Joe Mankiewicz  production, written & directed by him. I was astounded and fascinated by the sumptuous Venice wall mural sets. Also surprised by how much Edie Gormé resembled Marilyn in that wig & make up:

360px-Edie_muriel_commercial.JPG

Her charactor was a hoot!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Guillermo del Toro's upcoming new adaptation of Nightmare Alley.  Strathairn is playing "Pete" the drunk married to Zeena. 

i was just thinking of this movie (the upcoming remake) the other day- wondering where it was going to land in the post COVID SHUFFLE.

DICAPRIO has surprised me with the passage of time.

I'm hard-pressed to think of another performer who has curated a career of such interesting films over the years all while remaining such a fundamentally bad actor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this is a HOLLYWOOD REPORTER interview with SHELLEY DUVALL

That was an interesting article-well written with decent details. Personally, I think Shelly Duval looks great, she needed some "filling out". 

I never realized how good she was in everything she ever did & know she was well loved by her peers. I did not realize she was a "discovery" making her film acting all the more impressive.

• Like 2

The remake of Nightmare Alley was filmed up around where I live, Buffalo, NY (though I live in a suburb).   Nightmare Alley is what Buffalo's long-time Mayor is now feeling since he lost the Democratic Primary to a progressive Black Woman (whom he is denigrating by not allowing her to be called the Mayor-elect).  He expects a write-in ballot in Nov. to give him a win.  What a sore loser.  As for Nightmare Alley, lots of photos of cool/vintage cars.

I agree with your comments about Leo D. (I didn't care for Titanic - preferred the Clifton Webb version) and he wasn't great in The Departed (but then, there were a lot of problems with that film - Martin S. does better when he sticks to NYC mob business; liked Matt Damon's performance however (also wanted him to win the Oscar - The Revenant sounded like a remake of a film I haven't seen in years with a better looking actor (and a better Gatsby that Leo):  Robert Redford.

As for comments on Shelly Duval's weight gain (isn't she in Annie Hall ?), why are the comments always directed at women?  Also, they often take the worst photo possible.  Shelly is not only a great actress but she had that series about the fairy tales.  Leo is also prone to putting on the pounds.  And, rewatching Baby Boom, James Spader doesn't look like the attractive young man he was (still a better actor than Leo).  Jack Nicholson got heavier over the years while Warren Beatty still looks good.  This discussion also came up when discussing Kathleen Turner's weight gain (she is reuniting with Michael Douglas in The Kaminsky...).

I was severely traumatized by being obese as a child.  Now I'm technically anorexic.  However, losing weight didn't change my life and my looks (other than no longer being fat).  Still ugly after all these years (and a little crazy also - referencing Paul Simon's song).

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Maggie Smith was great, well ALL performances were o'course. It was a Joe Mankiewicz  production, written & directed by him. I was astounded and fascinated by the sumptuous Venice wall mural sets. Also surprised by how much Edie Gormé resembled Marilyn in that wig & make up:

That's the lovely and brilliant Edie Adams, also known as Mrs. Ernie Kovacs.

7ac10b11-17cc-5213-905d-0fca0471c1f9.ima

She was an impressive lady. After Ernie died in a car accident, she discovered he left her with considerable debt. She put herself through business school and became quite a successful entrepreneur. 

More here including a video of Edie singing in the MM style

• Like 3
10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Don't you mean Edie Adams?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1