Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 6/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, SansFin said:

Bound (1996)

A kept woman falls for the ex-convict doing plumbing repairs next door. Their future together depends on neutralizing the man keeping her and picking up any loose cash laying around as a nest egg. The facts that he is a vindictive and violent psychopath and they are taking two million in mob money complicates matters.

I knew of Jennifer Tilly from her lighter comedy roles and so the intensity of her performance here surprised me. She presented with astounding clarity her heterosexual-by-trade but lesbian-by-nature situation. 

I believe that: 'intensity' is a good description of many aspects of this movie. The timing and staging throughout the movie imprint the action very strongly on the viewer's mind. The fact that every character is duplicitous adds greatly to the complexity.

I am sorry to say that there is violence and gore which may dissuade some viewers. It is a minor percentage of the movie but it is rather intense.

8.2/10

I can currently find it streaming only on: Paramount+.

I saw  Bound when it first came out  (haha no pun intended.)  You're right,  "intense" is a good word to describe it.  It's also unusual in that a "heist"  / mob crime  movie  (of sorts) is presented from a woman's point-of-view,  still not a particularly common thing even today.  You mention Jennifer Tilly, but  I thought Gina Gershon's performance was also quite good.

• Like 2
On 6/22/2021 at 3:30 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have never seen Kristen Wiig where she was EVER more than just so so. I really don’t understand why there was such a push to make her “happen”

( catching up on posts from a few pages back...)

Lorna, how dare you !  I love Kristen Wiig !  I think she's very funny and talented, in fact,  she's kind of like a female Bill Hader in that you just have to see her face to start laughing.  (Not that she herself is "funny looking",  but like Bill Hader,  or Keenan Thompson,  she has some kind of persona that's just naturally funny.)

Just looking at her SNL characters,  "Penelope", the woman who always had to go one better than whoever she was talking to, while smoothing her hair,  was always funny.  And her character as the over-excitable woman who always went bonkers whenever some big news was to be revealed at a social gathering was hilarious !  

I also really like her movies - well, most of them, I admit Welcome to Me and Downsizing were duds.

• Like 1
On 6/22/2021 at 6:58 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

SCTV was funny as Hell, consistently , and throughout. 
(in other words, an altogether different story than SNL )

It was also a Canadian show. (thought this was worth mentioning.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

It was also a Canadian show. (thought this was worth mentioning.)

I remember one particularly funny episode featuring HM Queen Elizabeth and a beaver. I think is was an SCTV show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

I saw  Bound when it first came out  (haha no pun intended.)  You're right,  "intense" is a good word to describe it.  It's also unusual in that a "heist"  / mob crime  movie  (of sorts) is presented from a woman's point-of-view,  still not a particularly common thing even today.  You mention Jennifer Tilly, but  I thought Gina Gershon's performance was also quite good.

I knew of Jennifer Tilly first because of her being the voice of: Celia in: Monster's Inc. (2001). I then recognized her in: High Spirits (1998). I know that I have seen her in one or two other things since then. It was the contrast between the type of roles in which I have seen her and this role that caused me to mention it.

I have no such similar experience seeing: Gina Gershon. My experience with modern movies and television is limited and I have not seen any of her significant roles. I was surprised to see that she voiced the character: Six in: Tripping the Rift (2004). I love that series but I have not seen any behind-the-scenes promotional material which identified her. I will surely note her performance in movies I watch in the future. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Hibi said:

Wasn't Keaton married to one of the Talmadge sisters? I don't think she was a casting director.....

Yes, this movie was not concerned with facts. Keaton was married 3 times in real life. The movie makes it seem he was only married once.

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, Swithin said:

I remember one particularly funny episode featuring HM Queen Elizabeth and a beaver. I think is was an SCTV show.

That could be THE KIDS IN THE HALL, another Canadian sketch comedy show. They had an actor who played Queen Elizabeth quite well.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That could be THE KIDS IN THE HALL, another Canadian sketch comedy show. They had an actor who played Queen Elizabeth quite well.

That's it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love, love, love  Scott Thompson, especially as "Buddy Cole"-always LOL line about his take on Canadian movies, "It won't make a dime"

I always think of a favorite poster on this message board as "Buddy", especially when they watched movies in a bar on their phone.

• Like 1

COMEDY CENTRAL was a BEAUTIFUL THING IN THE MID 1990S. It was just reruns of MONTY PYTHONS FLYING CIRCUS, THE KIDS IN THE HALL, MST 3K and ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

I HAAAAAAATED the BUDDY COLE skits, but when I started watching the show again a few years back, I realized how HILARIOUS those monologues were and are.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

COMEDY CENTRAL was a BEAUTIFUL THING IN THE MID 1990S. It was just reruns of MONTY PYTHONS FLYING CIRCUS, THE KIDS IN THE HALL, MST 3K and ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

I HAAAAAAATED the BUDDY COLE skits, but when I started watching the show again a few years back, I realized how HILARIOUS those monologues were and are.

Yes, I remember. I used to watch Kids in the Hall.

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No, I imagine that to be a fairly leisurely apocalypse.

I’ve  met cows, nothing about them is fast. 

They were pretty fast when they escaped from that truck last week! :D

• Like 1
On 6/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, SansFin said:

Bound (1996)

I knew of Jennifer Tilly from her lighter comedy roles and so the intensity of her performance here surprised me. She presented with astounding clarity her heterosexual-by-trade but lesbian-by-nature situation. 

I believe that: 'intensity' is a good description of many aspects of this movie. 

I have seen  Bound on its first release,'intense' is the  right word,Tilly is incredibly sexy,the sensuality is all over in film, I have seen it only once but i surely will watch again.

• Like 1

Jennifer T. has a bit part at both the beginning and end of The Fabulous Baker Boys.  I think she was also in Bullets Over Broadway .  Her sister, Meg T. first came to notice in The Big Chill as Chloe (who ends up with William Hurt).  She was later in Agnes of God (with Anne Baxter) about an immaculate conception.  I think she wrote a book years ago about the trauma she experienced when she was young.  I haven't seen Bound.  

Loved SCTV.  I believe that is where I first saw Andrea Martin, John Candy (still miss him), Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, etc.  Sort of remember Kids in the Hall.

Last night I watched Master Chef and then later watched Harvey Keitel on Colbert (he is promoting the movie where he plays Meyer Lansky - got so so reviews).  He was once married to another woman who made a splash in a Martin S. movie (Goodfellas):  Lorraine Bracco.  She was (coincidentally) on the revamped Pyramid, hosted by Michael S.  I switched it off.

As for today, depends on what is happening (Biden's visit to Florida may interrupt p.m. viewing like the Cosby verdict did).  Also, I'm afraid to watch Top Chef because it is the finale tonight and I want Shoda (sp?) to win.  On another topic, just read that Guy Fieri just signed an 80 mil deal with the Food Network.  Maybe he can use it to buy some Whine & Cheesy, plus some tissues to eat drink, and wipe his tears when reading a bad restaurant review.  He won a Food Network Star Competition.  He would never make it as a contestant on Top Chef (even the new amateur version).  Same with Giada.  There is no crying or whining when you receive a bad restaurant review (read both reviews - hers and Guy's - and Pete Wells made legitimate complaints).

Unlike some people who are avoiding the news, I will watch it even though I'm tired of comments about Buffalo's Mayoral Race.  After Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy (unless they get preempted), don't know.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Lorna, how dare you !  I love Kristen Wiig !  I think she's very funny and talented, in fact,  she's kind of like a female Bill Hader in that you just have to see her face to start laughing.  (Not that she herself is "funny looking",  but like Bill Hader,  or Keenan Thompson,  she has some kind of persona that's just naturally funny.)

Just looking at her SNL characters,  "Penelope", the woman who always had to go one better than whoever she was talking to, while smoothing her hair,  was always funny.  And her character as the over-excitable woman who always went bonkers whenever some big news was to be revealed at a social gathering was hilarious !  

I also really like her movies - well, most of them, I admit Welcome to Me and Downsizing were duds.

I've seen her in only two films and liked her a lot in each. Best was Girl Most Likely. She has the chops to carry the film although some really good help from Annette Bening (and others). She is a great "reacter" to things that happen. A really funny movie, I've seen in it at least three times. I found it accidentally on Cable and stayed on my DVR forever (until the DVR died and I lost all the recorded films). The film is not that popular ratings-wise but it grabbed me. She has a smaller role in Bernadette, Where'd you go. The first half was excellent but went South when they went South (if you get the continental drift).

• Like 3
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

My two cents:

If the word “Cow” is in the title, chances are the audience isn’t expecting something with breakneck pacing. 

18 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

What about Apocalypse Cow ?

Or  The Cattle of Algiers ?   Or  Broadcast Moos ?  I do think you're being unfair to the bovine population.

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Swithin said:

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That could be THE KIDS IN THE HALL, another Canadian sketch comedy show. They had an actor who played Queen Elizabeth quite well

Yes,   another great CANADIAN  comedy sketch show.  Canada is actually famous for its clever and truly funny comedy shows.  ( and it is, appropriately enough,  Canada Day today.  Although right now, fireworks and parades seem out-of-place,  and not because of covid.  But I don't want to go there on this thread.)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

She's written some good comedies as well.

• Thanks 1

p71410_i_h6_aa.jpg

If the East Side Kids saw this lot they'd probably die laughing.

Boys in Brown (1949) Richard Attenborough, Dirk Bogarde, Barbara Murray.

Intriguing title. Is it about Hitler Youth? Some kinky club in Merrie Olde Englande? Not really. It turns

out to be much more mundane. These lads are Borstal boys, which were some kind of juvenile centers for

young chappies who have had a brush with the criminal justice system. Attey was the get away driver for

a group of robbers. Unfortunately the car stalls, Attey can't get it to turn over and he takes off running,

only to be caught by the coppers and sentenced to a term in Borstal, where the inmates wear brown shirts

and shorts and knee socks, looking like defrocked Boy Scouts. The warden keeps on telling the boys that

Borstal isn't a prison, but it sure seems like one. Dickey wants to behave himself and just do his time, but

some of the other boys are more mischievous, though none of them are really very bad, plus it's hard to

be truly menacing while wearing shorts and knee socks. The big deal is an escape plan which, after much

persuasion by Dirk and the others, he finally agrees to join. But the warden catches Dicky in the process

and Attey knocks him out. Now he's really in deep doo doo. Fortunately the warden recovers and Attey

will only have to serve a three year term. He tells his girlfriend Kitty (played by the fetching Barbara Murray)

that they will get married when he gets out. One of those social problem pictures with a superficial examination

of why the kids aren't alright. Mum and dad like to hit the booze, etc. Unintentionally funny, as these types

are about as dangerous as a high school marching band. I noticed that Dickey looks like a younger version of

Dirky, though it works less in reverse. Fairly entertaining, with the lesson that keeping to the straight and

narrow is the way to go if you want to become a "functioning" member of society. All others need not apply.

• Haha 2
40 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

p71410_i_h6_aa.jpg

If the East Side Kids saw this lot they'd probably die laughing.

Boys in Brown (1949) Richard Attenborough, Dirk Bogarde, Barbara Murray.

Intriguing title. Is it about Hitler Youth? Some kinky club in Merrie Olde Englande? Not really. It turns

out to be much more mundane. These lads are Borstal boys, which were some kind of juvenile centers for

young chappies who have had a brush with the criminal justice system. Attey was the get away driver for

a group of robbers. Unfortunately the car stalls, Attey can't get it to turn over and he takes off running,

only to be caught by the coppers and sentenced to a term in Borstal, where the inmates wear brown shirts

and shorts and knee socks, looking like defrocked Boy Scouts. The warden keeps on telling the boys that

Borstal isn't a prison, but it sure seems like one. Dickey wants to behave himself and just do his time, but

some of the other boys are more mischievous, though none of them are really very bad, plus it's hard to

be truly menacing while wearing shorts and knee socks. The big deal is an escape plan which, after much

persuasion by Dirk and the others, he finally agrees to join. But the warden catches Dicky in the process

and Attey knocks him out. Now he's really in deep doo doo. Fortunately the warden recovers and Attey

will only have to serve a three year term. He tells his girlfriend Kitty (played by the fetching Barbara Murray)

that they will get married when he gets out. One of those social problem pictures with a superficial examination

of why the kids aren't alright. Mum and dad like to hit the booze, etc. Unintentionally funny, as these types

are about as dangerous as a high school marching band. I noticed that Dickey looks like a younger version of

Dirky, though it works less in reverse. Fairly entertaining, with the lesson that keeping to the straight and

narrow is the way to go if you want to become a "functioning" member of society. All others need not apply.

I've seen some good films about Borstal life.  The best IMO is probably Alan Clarke's Scum 1977 made for TV film (which wouldn't air for many years due to the violence and sexuality) which was later re-made by Clarke as an intended theatrical release film in 1979 with much of the same cast. The first version was much grittier and IMO the better film.

220px-Scum1979movieposter.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

I've seen some good films about Borstal life.  The best IMO is probably Alan Clarke's Scum 1977 made for TV film (which wouldn't air for many years due to the violence and sexuality) which was later re-made by Clarke as an intended theatrical release film in 1979 with much of the same cast. The first version was much grittier and IMO the better film.

220px-Scum1979movieposter.jpeg

I've never seen Scum. Perhaps the reality lies somewhere between the two movies. Boys in Brown does seem

sanitized and overly positive. It's hard to believe that nothing more than some mild bullying went on in borstals.

I'm guessing the filmmakers, for whatever reason, wanted to present a good view of the institution. A bit on the

corny side, but still fairly entertaining.

I just watched The Secret Fury (1950) on MOVIES-TV as part of their Film Noir Thursday.       Great cast but only a so-so film.     The film features Claudette Colbert,  Robert Ryan,  and Paul Kelly.     It was directed by Mel Ferrer.          Mel's bro,  Jose is in the film in an uncredited role and actually my favorite scene in the film.   This is a back-room type club with a jazz combo.     The actor who played Colbert husband (or so we are told),   was Dave Barbour;   Perry Lee's husband and a fine jazz guitarist.     Thus the reason that was my favorite scene.     We get to see Dave play a solo on a niffy hollow body,  single coil,   jazz guitar.      

I just don't see Colbert being a good fit in such a film,  especially with Ryan as her good-guy fiancé.    

The Secret Fury (1950)

• Like 1

The Secret Fury has its moments and is worth seeing, but unfortunately Claudette Colbert and Robert Ryan have no chemistry. Vivian Vance is in the film, too.