Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

47 minutes ago, rosebette said:

Monument Valley....... It is truly one of the most stark and beautiful places in the U.S.

It is. That old highway 160 through four corners, then north on 163.  Southern Utah just before the Nevada border is another. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Remember the 1972 film HAMMERSMITH IS OUT with Liz, Dick and Beau Bridges?   I wonder if TCM has ever aired it? 

Never. I've never seen it either. One I've always wanted to see! :D Could at least show it on Underground. It never even played in my area when released. 

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

X, Y, AND ZEE is one I am *sorta* curious about.

but they don't tend to show many of LIZ's post VIRGINIA WOLFE films besides maybe NIGHT WATCH (which I can only remember airing a couple of times)

I think they've shown X, Y, and Zee a few times. Yes, nothing after Taming of the Shrew except lately for Night Watch!

3 I've never seen of Liz later films: Ash Wednesday: Identikit/The Drivers Seat; Hammersmith is Out. Ash is Paramount. Not sure of the other two. Have always wanted to see those. Only Ash Wednesday got much of a release, but it played out too quickly for me to see it. The Drivers Seat opened on a double bill in mass release in NY, but scarcely anywhere else in the U.S. Hammersmith only got booked in a smattering of cities and quickly disappeared.

Now that I think of it, they have shown The Only Game in Town, but only once or twice. (Fox)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

the one I suspect you might be talking about The Searchers: The Making of an American Legend.

Yes. I read it all the way through last month in preparation of seeing the movie. The first half of the book was historical information about the "legend" between Indians & the settlers. The second half was all about making the movie, with great background on Ford & Wayne in particular. Loved it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Yes. I read it all the way through last month in preparation of seeing the movie. The first half of the book was historical information about the "legend" between Indians & the settlers. The second half was all about making the movie, with great background on Ford & Wayne in particular. Loved it.

Thank you. I bought them both. Interested in seeing if the ten years between the books changed perceptions. 

I'm in the middle of rewatching the film too. It's beautifully shot, even the credits are gorgeous. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Liz also reteamed with Monty Clift (and she was supposedly very protective or her gay friends, especially during the time of AiDS) in Suddenly Last Summer.  Her recounting of what happened to Sebastian is harrowing (and, though not graphic, gave me nightmares just imagining it).  She held her own with Hepburn.

Taylor was over the top in Suddenly Last Summer but it works because the whole film is bizarrely over the top. Clift is like a cell phone dead zone in this movie.

As an aside, I wondered why TCM chose Psycho as "problematic" for its depiction of LBGTQ (it's not at all) when films like Suddenly Last Summer so clearly are. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Taylor was over the top in Suddenly Last Summer but it works because the whole film is bizarrely over the top. Clift is like a cell phone dead zone in this movie.

As an aside, I wondered why TCM chose Psycho as "problematic" for its depiction of LBGTQ (it's not at all) when films like Suddenly Last Summer so clearly are. 

Cheaper to broadcast probably. Why choose My Fair Lady in that other series (or was it the same one? ) Yes, Clift barely registers in SLS. Thankfully, it's not a part that calls for much acting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

Multiple times. Season two is the best, the first episode being an especially great episode. It's starts to go from great to good by five but by then you're committed. Thing to do is watch season one episode one after you get to the end. The transformation of the characters is amazing.

I was addicted to The Sopranos when it was on years ago. I've seen every episode although not in a long time. One of the best was the episode Pine Barrens during season 3. One of the best tv shows ever in my opinion. MissW, stick with it, it's worth the time spent watching. the writing, the acting, the music, the locations, everything about this show was top notch. Yes it's violent, but then the dialogue and the humor are so witty and clever. There is too much to talk to talk about because so many characters are so interesting. Tony's relationship with Dr. Melfi, his relationship with his mother, his wife, his children, his crew. 

I'm a sucker for gangster type films and tv shows but even if I weren't, The Sopranos imo was a brilliant show.

• Thanks 2

I sometimes wish Maude's mother had gotten an abortion. I watched it occasionally when it was originally

on. It was fairly funny, but now I just find it just dull and too loud.  And I'm guessing that 1970s Maude

would often be politically incorrect today. Now that The Wild wild West has been replaced by Matlock

I've started watching Bewitched. The early years remind me of my childhood and all those mid 1960s

ways and means. Today there was an episode where Larry thinks Darrin is having an affair. Instead of

criticizing him he gives him the Atta boy, you old devil you wink and nod response. Oops. 

• Like 1

I never cared for Matlock and I liked Bewitched in the first years (contrast Marion Lorne here with her role as Bruno's mother in Strangers...).  I get that channel and sometimes watched WW West.  I preferred Darrin as Dick York.  Also, like many shows, it didn't know what to do when we hit the Summer of Love/Hippy Age.  I recently watched an early episode (before they knew drinking was not for pregnant women) where Larry thought Darrin was going to be a father (when it was his wife that was pregnant).

Endora hired numerous cohorts to tempt Derwood.  Loved Maurice Evans as Sam's father (and Endora's ex).    There are a couple of good episodes with Sheila, Nancy Kovacs (sp?).

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I sometimes wish Maude's mother had gotten an abortion. I watched it occasionally when it was originally

on. It was fairly funny, but now I just find it just dull and too loud.  And I'm guessing that 1970s Maude

would often be politically incorrect today. Now that The Wild wild West has been replaced by Matlock

I've started watching Bewitched. The early years remind me of my childhood and all those mid 1960s

ways and means. Today there was an episode where Larry thinks Darrin is having an affair. Instead of

criticizing him he gives him the Atta boy, you old devil you wink and nod response. Oops. 

Yeah, for awhile MeTV was running Maude in the overnight wknd hrs and I watched a few episodes. It hasn't aged very well. The first few seasons were good. But it ran out of steam quickly. Wasn't as good as All in the Family. I did watch and enjoy it at the time. It did have some groundbreaking episodes (Maude getting an abortion etc.)

The first few seasons of Bewitched were great. But once Tabitha was born, it, too, got to be run of the mill. I stopped watching it after Dick York left. They should have called it quits then.

I did like that parody Carol Burnett did of  Maude. I think it was called Broad? LOL.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Like Maude? LOL.

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I never cared for Matlock and I liked Bewitched in the first years (contrast Marion Lorne here with her role as Bruno's mother in Strangers...).  I get that channel and sometimes watched WW West.  I preferred Darrin as Dick York.  Also, like many shows, it didn't know what to do when we hit the Summer of Love/Hippy Age.  I recently watched an early episode (before they knew drinking was not for pregnant women) where Larry thought Darrin was going to be a father (when it was his wife that was pregnant).

Endora hired numerous cohorts to tempt Derwood.  Loved Maurice Evans as Sam's father (and Endora's ex).    There are a couple of good episodes with Sheila, Nancy Kovacs (sp?).

I watched Matlock a bit when it was on and have seen more of it when it was syndicated, but I have little 

interest in watching them again, though some of the episodes are pretty good. I watched Bewitched on

occasion when I was a kid. It's fun to see it again after all these years. I read that Agnes Moorehead had a

clause in her contract that she would only appear in so many episodes a season. Probably a good idea

because I don't think you'd want to see her in every episode. Yeah the first few seasons of Bewitched

are fun to watch because they are still of the time before the rest of the 1960s hit.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, for awhile MeTV was running Maude in the overnight wknd hrs and I watched a few episodes. It hasn't aged very well. The first few seasons were good. But it ran out of steam quickly. Wasn't as good as All in the Family. I did watch and enjoy it at the time. It did have some groundbreaking episodes (Maude getting an abortion etc.)

The first few seasons of Bewitched were great. But once Tabitha was born, it, too, got to be run of the mill. I stopped watching it after Dick York left. They should have called it quits then.

I did like that parody Carol Burnett did of  Maude. I think it was called Broad? LOL.

FETV runs Maude around 12 or 1 in the late evening/early morning slot. They are still on the first season of

Bewitched, which is still quite humorous. The Kravtizs are always good for a laugh. I know once Tabitha comes

along things are likely to get duller, though that was an obvious move at the time. I guess it was so successful

for a while they just kept it going and started repeating old plots. Paul Lynde played a nervous driving instructor

last week before getting the role of Arthur. I think the parody was called Broad. Maybe that was also what the

MAD magazine parody was called too.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

FETV runs Maude around 12 or 1 in the late evening/early morning slot. They are still on the first season of

Bewitched, which is still quite humorous. The Kravtizs are always good for a laugh. I know once Tabitha comes

along things are likely to get duller, though that was an obvious move at the time. I guess it was so successful

for a while they just kept it going and started repeating old plots. Paul Lynde played a nervous driving instructor

last week before getting the role of Arthur. I think the parody was called Broad. Maybe that was also what the

MAD magazine parody was called too.

Yeah, the loss of Marion Lorne and Alice Pearce hurt the show too. I didn't care much for Pearce's replacement. She wasn't as funny. Yeah, quite a few plots were recycled as time went on. I didn't care much for Larry's wife's replacement either. She wasn't as sharp as the original Louise.

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, the loss of Marion Lorne and Alice Pearce hurt the show too. I didn't care much for Pearce's replacement. She wasn't as funny. Yeah, quite a few plots were recycled as time went on. I didn't care much for Larry's wife's replacement either. She wasn't as sharp as the original Louise.

Speaking of Marion Lorne, what about a real classic: Mr. Peepers?

pictured-wally-cox-as-robinson-peepers-g

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Thankfully they're still in the early seasons. I don't look forward to the replacements.

Speaking of replacements looks like they put in a stereo where the TV was. Well it's their house. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Swithin said:

I visited Marion Lorne-

lornemarion2.jpg

(in the same cemetery Judy Garland was originally)

and Tony Randall-

8794731_114511802260.jpg

Who is very near John Garfield's final resting place, just up the hill from the Gershwins.

• Like 2

Poster - They Made Me a Criminal 01.jpg

They Made Me A Criminal (1939) TCM On Demand- 6/10

A boxer (John Garfield)  mistakenly believes he killed someone, he is thought to be dead and goes on the run.

The 4th movie featuring the Dead End Kids. It's not great but has many enjoyable moments for film buffs. The Kids don't have much to do but have a few memorable scenes. There is a good suspenseful part where they are swimming in a water tank that is getting drained. There is a funny scene where they play strip poker with a snooty rich kid. All the kids have the same names that they had in the original Dead End  (1937). 

The film is directed by Busby Berkeley in one of his non musical films. A good in joke has Huntz Hall singing "By A Waterfall" which was in Berkeley's Footlight Parade.

Garfield is very good in another of his tough guy roles. Ann Sheridan fans may be disappointed since she has a very small part here. Another interesting thing is seeing Englishman Claude Rains playing a tough talking New York cop.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Swithin said:

hqdefault.jpg

That show was before my time. How long was it on?

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I visited Marion Lorne-

lornemarion2.jpg

(in the same cemetery Judy Garland was originally)

and Tony Randall-

8794731_114511802260.jpg

Who is very near John Garfield's final resting place, just up the hill from the Gershwins.

Are they in the same cemeteries? Where was Garland moved to?

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

That show was before my time. How long was it on?

1952-1955, my baby/young childhood years. But I do have fond memories of it, albeit hazy ones!

Just now, Swithin said:

1952-1955, my baby years. But I do have fond memories of it, albeit hazy ones!

OK. That explains why. I've heard of it.

14 minutes ago, Hibi said:

OK. That explains why. I've heard of it.

Also had the great Reta Shaw for a few episodes.

The show won a Peabody award in its first season.   It was originally just a summer replacement series (remember those?) but NBC pulled it into their regular schedule when another sitcom bombed in the ratings.   It doesn't get rerun too often.  It was done live from NYC and only kinescopes remain.   The entire series is incomplete as a couple dozen episodes are considered lost.