Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have tried MULTIPLE TIMES but I can’t make it more than 20 minutes into BLADE RUNNER, worse yet, I can’t even explain WHY I can’t get into it...I just can’t. 

We don’t have movies like that I think. Films that are generally recognized to be excellent, but for whatever reason they just don’t click.

Honestly im Not tryin to be a smart alec with this suggestion; but maybe try absorbing it sans sound. And or without visuals and JUST the Dialogue.

Dont mean this in a rude, condescending way OneBit; namely: 2049 in particular is an INSANELY Labyrinthine, interconnected affair of a film.   What i would personally term a mental saw mill feature.  Not at all saying, implying that this Has Happened, but - upon viewing a feature like this (or Cloud Atlas, Zoom, or the Congress ftm); Pause it. If Need Be.  Dont let the story get away from You in another room.

That would stand for (Big) Trouble (in Little China).

12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

edit: although i did see THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN a little while ago and it is REALLY GOOD.

Oh, did we mention it's getting a Criterion Blu in October, with a wealth of features on Jack Arnold and Richard Matheson?:  https://www.criterion.com/films/28988-the-incredible-shrinking-man

(Don't want 'em, studios?  Fine--We'll let the third-party labels take 'em.)  🤓

3 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

Up for a handful of SciFi Suggestions?

Lemme Know.

I am always up for suggestions, it’s one of the prime reasons I come to this board.

fire away. 

Although, to specify, I don’t tend to be into the types of sci-fi movies and shows that are set in outer space, I am more open to earthbound sci-fi, things that deal with time travel, supernatural elements, etc.

• Like 3

I kinda liked the 1992 made-for-television movie THE PRESENCE.  It was better than I expected, anyways! 

Some morbid trivia:  Two stars of "The Presence" both died recently of un-natural causes: 

JOE LARA died in plane crash on May 29, 2021.  He was 58. 

LISA BANES died June 14, 2021 -- 10 days after being hit by a motor scooter in New York City.  She was 65.   

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, EricJ said:

Oh, did we mention [THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN] is getting a Criterion Blu in October, with a wealth of features on Jack Arnold and Richard Matheson?:  https://www.criterion.com/films/28988-the-incredible-shrinking-man

(Don't want 'em, studios?  Fine--We'll let the third-party labels take 'em.)  🤓

Yes, SPEEDRACER did.

[I know this is a controversial statement, but I roll my eyes at CRITERION- which, for me, translates to "great cover art and costs $15-$20 more than it should." They're the WHOLE FOODS of DVD manufacture and distribution.]

But they've got their fans, and hey, who am I to squawk?

**I also know they have a subscritpion streaming service, and i've been tempted to pony up for it because it has a lot of titles I have sought.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

JOE LARA died in plane crash on May 29, 2021.  He was 58.

and it's been enough time that I will mention that he was married to AN ABSOLUTE NUT named GWEN SHAMBLIN LARA (who also died in the crash, which was on the way to a rally for the 45th and former president BTW).) She ran an AWFUL, EVIL cult that promoted child abuse and anorexia and she looked A SENTIENT Q-TIP.

there is a series of videos on youtube called FUNDIE FRIDAYS that profiles her. i recommend them.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am always up for suggestions, it’s one of the prime reasons I come to this board.

I must wonder if you would like: The Man From Earth (2007). Please do not take the title the wrong way. It is set in a cabin on this planet. 

It was the last complete screenplay written by: Jerome Bixby who wrote also the story of the: "It's a Good Life" episode of the original: Twilight Zone series and: It! the Terror from Beyond Space (1958).

It is a very gentle story. It is not about time travel but I believe that it will appeal to any with nous for such concepts.

It is available free with commercials on: TubiTV and to subscribers of: IMDB.com. https://tubitv.com/movies/467588/the-man-from-earth?start=true

I would suggest watching it with no other information because a telling of the basic premise is something of a spoiler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

fire away. 

Although, to specify, I don’t tend to be into the types of sci-fi movies and shows that are set in outer space, I am more open to earthbound sci-fi, things that deal with time travel, supernatural elements, etc.

Noted.

These are in No Particular Order.

Further Questions and or want more info upon Any of these, feel free to ask. 

(As) Long as You can bear my (complete lack of) typing skills. Lol

_

Snowpiercer.

Logan.

Antman and Wasp.

Automata.

The Survivalist.

The Congress.

Mr Nobody.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe.

Let Me In.

Let the Right One In.

The Big Bang. (Antonio Banderas, Delroy Lindo among others are in this one)

Zoom. (Alison Pil)

The Brand New Testament.

The Wanting Mare.

Jumbo. (Incidentally caught this weird little flick last night.    Very Impressive imo.    Involves a Young Teen, who falls into Love - with an amusement park ride.)

I, Origins.

Cosmopolis.

High-Rise.

Sucker Punch.

(☝️Ya Either Love Hime or You Cant Stand 'Em.👇)

Snyder Cut.

Passengers. (This one.. has just about EVERYthing to do with Outer Space however.)

Headhunters.

Enemy.

The Shape of Water.

Under the Skin.

Under the Silver Lake.

Deep Rising.

Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep. (Made for tv film)

Largo Winch

Largo Winch II (Burma Conspiracy)

Renegade (Blueberry)

Polar.

Wetlands. (*be VERY careful with this one)

Returner.

The Goode, the Bad, the Weird.

Trance.

A Lonely Place to Die.

Can Almost GUARANTEE i,ll be back with More Titles as i remember more that i forgot.

- Any (Further) Questions or the Like..

Fire. lol

• Like 1

I suggest the original The Day the Earth Stood Still

Also, Forbidden Planet (sci-fi take on Shakespeare's The Tempest)

If you watched the original Star Trek, The Wrath of Kahn (sp?)  and the one with the Whales (2 and 4)  are pretty good (did not like Ben C. as Kahn when Pike was the Captain).

The original The Time Machine with Rod Taylor and Yvette M.  is good

Also, Time after Time (another time travel movie with Malcolm McDowell as HG Wells and David Warner as Jack the Ripper; Mary Steenburgen provides some excellent support - she and McDowell were a couple for a while (not sure if they ever married)

Now as for what I watched last night, aside from some SVU repeats, used HBO on Demand to watch Married to the Mob.  I've seen it before.  Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Modine make a cute couple, but Dean Stockwell and Mercedes Ruhl are the true gems in this cute film.  Dean Stockwell (had a brother, Guy) is one of those child actors who was lucky enough to have a long career (and he is still here).

• Like 3
On 7/17/2021 at 5:51 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I can’t make it more than 20 minutes into BLADE RUNNER

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don’t like Blade Runner. I watched it to the bitter end too

If we had gotten our Jetson flying cars like we were promised maybe we'd be a little more tolerant of these type films.

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

fire away. 

& Three.

The Congress.

Tale of Tales.

Renaissance (Paris: 2054; Christian Volckman Directs this, VERY Unique One-ofKind Film.)

• Thanks 1

I stumbled over BREWSTER McCLOUD (1970) this morning...

See the source imageoh look, there's Waldo!

it is a film from ROBERT ALTMAN, who is a director who confounds me. he has a tendency to, at critical parts of his films, GRAB THE VIEWER BY THE SHOULDERS AND SHAKE THEM FORCEFULLY WHILE ASKING "GET IT? GET IT? WELL DO YOU GET WHAT I AM SAYING WITH THIS HERE????!!!!!!"...

to wit, my reply, "yes Robert, the people in the front row get it, the people in the back row get it. Helen Keller is out in the lobby getting popcorn, she got it too- loud and clear. Feel free to continue with the story now..."

PAULINE KAEL described it as "amorphous" and i see what she means...it's still fun, and I could not help but enjoy THE CONSTANT OVERT REFERENCES TO ORNITHOLOGY AND BIRDS, ever character in this is likened to a bird in some DICKENSIAN manner by a mad ROCKY HORROR-like PROFESSOR played by RENE AUBERJONOIS (sic?)

See the source image

STacy Keach is also inrecognizable in a pretty delightful cameo at the start of the film:

See the source image

MARGARET HAMILTON has a small role laden with WICKED WITCH in-jokes and SHELLEY DUVALL defies description:

See the source image

• Like 2

BREWSTER McCLOUD cont'd

For some reason JOHN SIMON gives away the ending in his review, which is on the film's wikipedia page,  which I read before I finished it...so I don't know how I would have taken it if I hadn't known that before I saw it.

I did not care for the FELLINI-LIKE circus at the very end, but I actually REALLY ENJOYED the scene of BOD CORT flying around the astrodome in his contraption and I even enjoyed how that scene ended.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SHELLEY DUVALL defies description:

It's not every girl who can pull off an Alice Cooper eye makeup treatment.  

~Edit~ Now that I've been treated to several close ups. It's not makeup. They glued on little tufts of Extra King Size eyelash fur. And the sideview is extra creepy with the peepers on that girl.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

fire away. 

*To Go Along with that (growing) list ive unloaded..

If Your (ever) Interested and/or just plain bored; while im Not sure atall how long they,ll be available for free on this site, - Returner, Zoom, and theCongress i believe (and Possibly Renegade/Blueberry) are available for free on a platform called Tubi

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BREWSTER McCLOUD cont'd

For some reason JOHN SIMON gives away the ending in his review, which is on the film's wikipedia page,  which I read before I finished it...so I don't know how I would have taken it if I hadn't known that before I saw it.

I did not care for the FELLINI-LIKE circus at the very end, but I actually REALLY ENJOYED the scene of BOD CORT flying around the astrodome in his contraption and I even enjoyed how that scene ended.

"Miss Heap was found strangled at the formal palatial in River Oaks. She was sprawled among the bird of paradise plants dressed in a red, white and blue acrylic knit with flattering wing collar and matching imitating bird feather belt and those spangling red rhinestone shoes."

I must say, those news casters are quite fashion minded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

"Miss Heap was found strangled at the formal palatial in River Oaks. She was sprawled among the bird of paradise plants dressed in a red, white and blue acrylic knit with flattering wing collar and matching imitating bird feather belt and those spangling red rhinestone shoes."

I must say, those news casters are quite fashion minded.

i did not know that was MARGARET HAMILTON as MISS HEAP until I imdb'd the film halfway through (which I did because I recognized JOHN SCHUCK (Sp?) from somewhere I couldn't put my finger on)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I suggest the original The Day the Earth Stood Still

Also, Forbidden Planet (sci-fi take on Shakespeare's The Tempest)

If you watched the original Star Trek, The Wrath of Kahn (sp?)  and the one with the Whales (2 and 4)  are pretty good (did not like Ben C. as Kahn when Pike was the Captain).

The original The Time Machine with Rod Taylor and Yvette M.  is good

I'll second all the above core Essential recommendations (although Michael Rennie in TDtESS comes off as an unintentionally funny snottypants), and throw in Quatermass & the Pit as one of the prestige-scifi pantheon.

2001, however, I was literally never able to stay awake through until after college, and then only on home video with breaks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

like PROFESSOR played by RENE AUBERJONOIS (sic?)

See the source image

Is that a nervous tick or some kind of avian Tourettes the Prof has?

1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

Is that a nervous tick or some kind of avian Tourettes the Prof has?

You just have to see the movie. I really do recommend it, Especially since I’m going through such a hard-core 1970s kick right now. 

And it is funny, weird as it is, I did laugh out loud several times.

Of course it also helps that I’m interested in birds.

• Like 1

You may wish to consider also:

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951)

A Boy and His Dog (1975)

The Coed and the Zombie Stoner (2014)

These three are all available free with advertisements on: TubiTV.

Also to consider:

A Boy and His Dog (1975) This is available free with advertisements on: IMDbTV. It is the yummy Don Johnson prior to his becoming famous on television.

Quatermass and the Pit (1967) This is one of my favorite movies. I am sorry to say I do not know its availability except by buying an outrageously priced DVD.

Also to consider: the movies of Christopher R. Mihm. He specializes in making 1950s-type movies on pocket change. I am sorry to say that I do not know of a current free source but they do seem to cycle in and out of several streaming services at irregular intervals. https://www.justwatch.com/us/search?q=Christopher R. Mihm&person_id=196386

On 7/17/2021 at 10:58 AM, chaya bat woof woof said:

Last night, watched most of Body Heat.  I've seen it before.  Unfortunately, I missed the discussion afterwards.

i caught the discussion after the film, and Eddie and Ben were talking about how Kasdan really got the noir feel down to the dialogue (like the moment toward the end when Hurt suddenly comes to a realization), that the film was shockingly filmed during an abnormally cold Florida winter,  and how the film was originally set up at 20th Century Fox, but Kasdan wanted their recently exited exec Alan Ladd Jr. to produce it under his new shingle at Warners so he casually told Fox he wanted to cast two unknowns, and they dropped out of making the film because of that.

Speaking of strange TCM things, I didn't see To Live or Die in LA, but somebody didn't do their research before it aired. Per the film's advisory guide, it had extremely graphic violence with tons of gore, copious nudity of both genders, and incessant language yet someone slapped it with a TV-14 (AKA PG-13 equivalent)!

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You just have to see the movie.

I did!! I'm asking!

During his movie long lecture he keeps Turing his beak to the left and gives off various chirps.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I did!! I'm asking!

During his movie long lecture he keeps Turing his beak to the left and gives off various chirps.

I have a *sneaking suspicion* that many people were “taking the drugs” while making this film....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1