Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BREWSTER McCLOUD cont'd

For some reason JOHN SIMON gives away the ending in his review, which is on the film's wikipedia page,  which I read before I finished it...so I don't know how I would have taken it if I hadn't known that before I saw it.

I did not care for the FELLINI-LIKE circus at the very end, but I actually REALLY ENJOYED the scene of BOD CORT flying around the astrodome in his contraption and I even enjoyed how that scene ended.

I kind of feel that the ending and what happens was inspired by a bit of Greek mythology, the story of Icarus and his father who built wings to fly.....

• Like 1
17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am always up for suggestions, it’s one of the prime reasons I come to this board.

fire away. 

Although, to specify, I don’t tend to be into the types of sci-fi movies and shows that are set in outer space, I am more open to earthbound sci-fi, things that deal with time travel, supernatural elements, etc.

Here's, Four More

(Again. No Particular Order Here Whatsoever...)

Revenge. (Coralie Fargeat Directs. be EXTREMELY Careful of this Title; If. You Decide to Investigate this one further)

Midsommar.

Better Watch Out.

The Aggression Scale.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have a *sneaking suspicion* that many people were “taking the drugs” while making this film....

A friend said she could usually tell in a 70s movie what drug most of the people connected with the film were taking. Unfortunately, she never gave me a film-by-film or drug-by-drug list.

• Haha 3

While this Goofy Short has been out for (quite) a awhile.. Guess One could say Madam Helen, and Roy Knable Brought me here. ☝️

Stay Tuned.. as... i think ill start posting short features, - from a panoply of different genres and content,.

5 hours ago, kingrat said:

A friend said she could usually tell in a 70s movie what drug most of the people connected with the film were taking. Unfortunately, she never gave me a film-by-film or drug-by-drug list.

“JAWS? Oh Mama, that shark was on Quaaludes.” 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

i think ill start posting short features,

Please don't, it's not appropriate in this thread. Might be a fun thread of it's own, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

To codify a statement I made in a previous review, it is only the first two seasons of MAUDE that are on imdb tv, maybe more will be added over time.

See the source image

i'm still genuinely enjoying it, and would recommend it to any aspiring writers out there for a variety of lessons to be learned, good and bad about dialogue, character and story- it's a bold show, and as such it makes some mistakes as it goes, but overall I am finding it a fascinating commentary on the 1970s, a decade for which I was only briefly present, and not very cognizant of ... which now that I think about it is probably true for some of you who did live through the entire decade...

at the risk of seeming like a shill, imdb tv is free to download and they also have ALL THE SEASONS OF PERRY MASON!!!!!!

If there were any one episode to recommend, it would be THE FLASHBACK, which contrasts the 1968 election and its crushing disappointment with the 1972 election and its bewilderingly crushing disappointment, it rings true for a variety of reasons, chief among them 2004 and 2016...

it's a LOUD show, there is A LOT OF SHOUTING, but honestly, here and now and in 2021, I HAVE BECOME A LOUD PERSON MYSELF SO I AM TOTALLY OK WITH THIS.

I've seen BILL MACY in a variety of things, but never paid attention til now- he is an excellent actor and the two part episode that deals with his drinking problem was pretty expertly handled (and I sometimes have issues watching things that deal with alcoholism because it is a sensitive issue with me.)

• Like 2

I think one of the absolute best things about the show is the character of the Republican Doctor neighbor played by CONRAD BAIN, he is there to be a foil- yes- but he is also a fundamentally decent guy who every now and then makes a salient point. it's the kind of humanistic portrayal of a Conservative that is rare in Hollywood....maybe because they're rare in life.

on the other hand, I cannot help but CRINGE at some of the dialogue ESTHER ROLLE was handed- and yet, as it is with the show, for every cringe, there is a laugh out loud moment or a moment of un-forced honesty.

you can argue about the substance of the clip below, but i think everyone involved is honest and it has some all-around POWERHOUSE ACTING, with an especially ASTOUNDING PERFORMANCE from ESTHER ROLLE:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

To codify a statement I made in a previous review, it is only the first two seasons of MAUDE that are on imdb tv, maybe more will be added over time.

See the source image

i'm still genuinely enjoying it, and would recommend it to any aspiring writers out there for a variety of lessons to be learned, good and bad about dialogue, character and story- it's a bold show, and as such it makes some mistakes as it goes, but overall I am finding it a fascinating commentary on the 1970s, a decade for which I was only briefly present, and not very cognizant of ... which now that I think about it is probably true for some of you who did live through the entire decade...

Yes, this is absolutely true. A friend once said, "Did you ever notice that none of those people who used to talk about 'getting their **** together' ever did?" That's maybe the best comment ever about the late 1960s to late 1970s.

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Please don't, it's not appropriate in this thread. Might be a fun thread of it's own, though.

Ok Then.     Tiki has spoken.

Strange that mention is made though of it being fun.. ?

Doubt Youd Think so Unfortunately.

And im not being haugty either. Just surprised.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think one of the absolute best things about the show is the character of the Republican Doctor neighbor played by CONRAD BAIN, he is there to be a foil- yes- but he is also a fundamentally decent guy who every now and then makes a salient point. it's the kind of humanistic portrayal of a Conservative that is rare in Hollywood....maybe because they're rare in life.

Sometimes this site surprises me with some of the silly statements i read.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Though id Definitely be down for that Subjective Assertion to be proven incorrect though.

It is, "I Just Watched"; after all. 😂

Not gonna be doing any sort of a dissertation or theses on it..

(Honestly; now THAT would be a poor decision on my part.)

I Wont Though. Its Cool.

Check out vimeo though if Your in the mood for some good shorts.    Though; as apparently its a Sin.. i Suppose, to - post a short film in a thread titled "i just watched"; one will have to do some digging 

Three from the weekend:

The Miracle at Morgan's Creek (1943) Loved this film.  First time seeing the entire thing through.  We studied this back in my film theory class, something about when the characters are walking to town it leads to the breakdown of the family and when they are walking home it is restored.  Either way i though the acting was amazing and must say i'm not familiar with Eddie Bracken but his voice sounds very familiar.  He stole the show with his comedic performance.    William Demarest also stood out me.  I recognized him from My Three Sons and i believe this is the youngest i've ever seen him on screen, but his portrayal of the cranky over-protected father was great and seeing him take a couple pratfalls was funny.  And how did the studio ever get away with a name like Cockenblocker?  Very fitting  and humorous name. 

The Prince of Tides (1991) Guess it was okay but didn't really find myself connecting with any of the characters.

Under the Volcano (1984) Late John Huston film i had never heard of before.  Decently directed but as a wino myself, i find endless scenes of drunks bumbling and mumbling a bit tiring after a while.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

on the other hand, I cannot help but CRINGE at some of the dialogue ESTHER ROLLE was handed- and yet, as it is with the show, for every cringe, there is a laugh out loud moment or a moment of un-forced honesty.

you can argue about the substance of the clip below, but i think everyone involved is honest and it has some all-around POWERHOUSE ACTING, with an especially ASTOUNDING PERFORMANCE from ESTHER ROLLE:

The show really lost something when they spinned off Esther Rolle's character into her own show.

• Thanks 1

Human Capital poster.jpg

Don't go to the Wikipedia article before viewing this film. You get a spoiler in the first couple of lines. Why? Because the narrative thread of this fine drama has resulted into wiki carelessness.  The story is told essentially by three characters, one right after the other, covering the same duration. Three overlapping POV looks. The various threads come together with fine resolution. Wikipedia tells us in a flash what the movie has taken pains to tell us in a most interesting and classy way. 

///

• Thanks 3
22 minutes ago, laffite said:

Human Capital poster.jpg

Don't go to the Wikipedia article before viewing this film. You get a spoiler in the first couple of lines. Why? Because the narrative thread of this fine drama has resulted into wiki carelessness.  The story is told essentially by three characters, one right after the other, covering the same duration. Three overlapping POV looks. The various threads come together with fine resolution. Wikipedia tells us in a flash what the movie has taken pains to tell us in a most interesting and classy way. 

///

Are you aware of how Wiki articles are created?     I ask because if one did,   they wouldn't say something like "wiki carelessness".   

That is as silly as what Biden said a few days back about the content on Facebook related to Covid-19.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are you aware of how Wiki articles are created?     I ask because if one did,   they wouldn't say something like "wiki carelessness".   

That is as silly as what Biden said a few days back about the content on Facebook related to Covid-19.

Curiously, the article did not have a plot category, so it wasn't there. The reveal came via a cursory comment at the top of the article, thus careless. I do see your point about Wikipedia, but OTOH not all Wikipedia articles are bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

The Miracle at Morgan's Creek (1943) Loved this film.  First time seeing the entire thing through.  We studied this back in my film theory class, something about when the characters are walking to town it leads to the breakdown of the family and when they are walking home it is restored.  Either way i though the acting was amazing and must say i'm not familiar with Eddie Bracken but his voice sounds very familiar.  He stole the show with his comedic performance.    William Demarest also stood out me.  I recognized him from My Three Sons and i believe this is the youngest i've ever seen him on screen, but his portrayal of the cranky over-protected father was great and seeing him take a couple pratfalls was funny.  And how did the studio ever get away with a name like Cockenblocker?  Very fitting  and humorous name. 

One of my all time favorites.  Thanks TCM!  I never would have seen this otherwise and I had no idea who Eddie Bracken or Betty Hutton were until I first watched it a few years ago.  It had such a fun story.  The whole time I was trying to imagine my mother, a very young woman at the time, watching Betty Hutton get plastered, wreck her friend's car, have sex with a stranger, (we all think it must have been the tall handsome one) then end up pregnant and  unmarried, or at least alone and unmarried -- all things I would have expected to scandalize her generation, but instead played for laughs and a warm happy ending.

Special mention to the little sister playing the boogie woogie blues on the piano.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

One of my all time favorites.  Thanks TCM!  I never would have seen this otherwise and I had no idea who Eddie Bracken or Betty Hutton were until I first watched it a few years ago.  It had such a fun story.  The whole time I was trying to imagine my mother, a very young woman at the time, watching Betty Hutton get plastered, wreck her friend's car, have sex with a stranger, (we all think it must have been the tall handsome one) then end up pregnant and  unmarried, or at least alone and unmarried -- all things I would have expected to scandalize her generation, but instead played for laughs and a warm happy ending.

Special mention to the little sister playing the boogie woogie blues on the piano.

Yeah, i thought i recognized the sister but maybe not?

10 hours ago, Hibi said:

The show really lost something when they spinned off Esther Rolle's character into her own show.

GOOD TIMES is referred to as a spin-off of MAUDE,  but really Esther Rolle's Florida Evans from MAUDE is a different character than the Florida Evans on GOOD TIMES. 

MAUDE's Florida was employed as Maude's maid in Tuckahoe, New York ( a village that is approximately a half hour train ride from Manhattan).

The Florida Evans from GOOD TIMES, however, lived her entire life in Chicago.  The Evans family on GOOD TIMES lived in a Chicago housing project, which was unnamed on the series but was strongly implied to be  Cabrini-Green, on Chicago's Near North Side.   John Amos played Florida's husband on both MAUDE and GOOD TIMES.  On MAUDE, he was Henry Evans, a New York City firefighter; on GOOD TIMES, he was James Evans and worked odd jobs  in Chicago.

The Florida Evans character was  put into a series already in development and her history from MAUDE was erased.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Old Dark House (1932)

Three people caught in a terrible storm take refuge in the first place they find. They are soon joined by two others who were caught in the storm also.

I find it surprising and more than moderately suspicious that I have never before watched this movie in its entirety. Boris Karloff is superb in his first credited starring role. Melvyn Douglass was beginning his career as a suave leading man. Charles Laughton was perfecting his complex blustering characterizations. Raymond Massey was quite interesting as a happily-married man trying very hard to not strangle his wife. 

8.8/10

It is available for viewing free with commercials on: TubiTV.

Edit: I am sure that it was quite frightening to watch this is a large dark movie theater of the 1930s. Watching it in bed sipping hot cocoa and nibbling treats while the two kittens whom I am fostering fight under the covers until they fell asleep ... not so much.

• Like 5