Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Broadcast News (1987) Didn't like it.  Didn't care for any of the characters who were more pretentious than likable, including the small cameo by Jack Nicholson which seemed kind of pointless and really the story just bored me.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, laffite said:

Curiously, the article did not have a plot category, so it wasn't there. The reveal came via a cursory comment at the top of the article, thus careless. I do see your point about Wikipedia, but OTOH not all Wikipedia articles are bad.

JUST THIS PAST WEEKEND, I had BREWSTER McCLOUD (1970) spoiled for me via a quote WIKIPEDIA used from a JOHN SIMON REVIEW, so I totally see you on this.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, SansFin said:

The Old Dark House (1932)

Edit: I am sure that it was quite frightening to watch this is a large dark movie theater of the 1930s. Watching it in bed sipping hot cocoa and nibbling treats while the two kittens whom I am fostering fight under the covers until they fell asleep ... not so much.

I love this one, but I don't actually think it was intended to be scary at all. I see it as a BLACK COMEDY, a GOTHIC FARCE, a WHIMSICAL GRAND GUIGNOL....

Did I spell GUIGNOL right?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

GOOD TIMES is referred to as a spin-off of MAUDE,  but really Esther Rolle's Florida Evans from MAUDE is a different character than the Florida Evans on GOOD TIMES. 

MAUDE's Florida was employed as Maude's maid in Tuckahoe, New York ( a village that is approximately a half hour train ride from Manhattan).

The Florida Evans from GOOD TIMES, however, lived her entire life in Chicago.  The Evans family on GOOD TIMES lived in a Chicago housing project, which was unnamed on the series but was strongly implied to be  Cabrini-Green, on Chicago's Near North Side.   John Amos played Florida's husband on both MAUDE and GOOD TIMES.  On MAUDE, he was Henry Evans, a New York City firefighter; on GOOD TIMES, he was James Evans and worked odd jobs  in Chicago.

The Florida Evans character was  put into a series already in development and her history from MAUDE was erased.

Wow that's really strange. I didn't notice that at the time. Completely erased her past! LOL. I watched the show for awhile, but then lost interest.....

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

GOOD TIMES is referred to as a spin-off of MAUDE,  but really Esther Rolle's Florida Evans from MAUDE is a different character than the Florida Evans on GOOD TIMES. 

MAUDE's Florida was employed as Maude's maid in Tuckahoe, New York ( a village that is approximately a half hour train ride from Manhattan).

The Florida Evans from GOOD TIMES, however, lived her entire life in Chicago.  The Evans family on GOOD TIMES lived in a Chicago housing project, which was unnamed on the series but was strongly implied to be  Cabrini-Green, on Chicago's Near North Side.   John Amos played Florida's husband on both MAUDE and GOOD TIMES.  On MAUDE, he was Henry Evans, a New York City firefighter; on GOOD TIMES, he was James Evans and worked odd jobs  in Chicago.

The Florida Evans character was  put into a series already in development and her history from MAUDE was erased.

Thank you, I was a little confused about why James was called Henry and why they moved from NYC to the CHICAGO PROJECTS.

Thanks to THE SUPERSTATION, I really enjoyed both GOOD TIMES and THE JEFFERSONS- but (even at that young age) I did not care for the minstrelsy of JJ. Maybe if I rewatched some of the episodes, the character would not be so....

I really kinda liked how JOHN AMOS (as the Dad) was ALWAYS P!SSED OFF ABOUT SOMETHING, and yet somehow he was relateable and even likeable. Both he and ESTHER ROLLE deserved better than what the show ended up more or less becoming.

and Willona was a GODDESS. I especially loved it when she told off PENNY'S BIRTH MOTHER.

See the source image

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I love this one, but I don't actually think it was intended to be scary at all

The scene near the end, with Melvyn Douglas and the crazy pyromaniac brother are pretty unnerving.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The scene near the end, with Melvyn Douglas and the crazy pyromaniac brother are pretty unnerving.

Yes- SAUL- who does some MARVELOUS ACTING WITH HIS EYES...You're right, that part is very scary.

Believe it or not, I tracked down a copy of BENIGHTED the JB PRIESTLY novel on which THE OLD DARK HOUSE is based and the story is more or less the same (as I recall it) but flat on the page without the actors and without WHALE'S touches (like the marvelous way the hateful old woman shovels the dinner into her mouth) it comes across very straight and a little tepid.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I did not care for the minstrelsy of JJ. Maybe if I rewatched some of the episodes, the character would not be so....

The man was a walking caricature AND A GOD!!!! He has his own doll/action figure. Dyn-O-MITE!!!

c5ed45de2ac27937a50fc0e157c0dc6d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Thank you, I was a little confused about why James was called Henry and why they moved from NYC to the CHICAGO PROJECTS.

Thanks to THE SUPERSTATION, I really enjoyed both GOOD TIMES and THE JEFFERSONS- but (even at that young age) I did not care for the minstrelsy of JJ. Maybe if I rewatched some of the episodes, the character would not be so....

I really kinda liked how JOHN AMOS (as the Dad) was ALWAYS P!SSED OFF ABOUT SOMETHING, and yet somehow he was relateable and even likeable. Both he and ESTHER ROLLE deserved better than what the show ended up more or less becoming.

and Willona was a GODDESS. I especially loved it when she told off PENNY'S BIRTH MOTHER.

See the source image

I hope Rolle saved her money. I know she left the show in a contract dispute. Her career never recovered. A decade later she was playing domestics again on Murder, She Wrote. She played a maid in several episodes......

45 minutes ago, Drewberry said:

The African Queen (1951)

This Sunday was my first time seeing it...loved it! Prior, I had only seen Bogart in The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca. Still lots to catch up on...thinking about watching through his filmography.

Would be well worth it.  I watched quite a few of his films in the last year that i'd never seen before.  Some great ones buried in there,  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last night, I re-watched Eight Men Out.  It is directed by John Sayles (who also has an acting role in the film, along with Studs Terkel).  There are so many movies about baseball, and this is one of them.  The film is based on a true scandal when the White Sox became the Black Sox.  Eight White Sox Players (Shoeless Joe Jackson - Ray Liotta plays him in Field of Dreams - claims he never participated in the scandal) were paid to throw the World Series.  One of the reasons the players agreed to throw the games (even though they wanted to win) was the reality of the owner sending flat champagne instead of salary raises/bonuses.  There is so much in this film that I love.  Great characters, great acting, the feeling of what life was like circa 1919, how little boys manage to sneak into baseball parks (think my Dad did that) to see their beloved Sox (and how disappointed they are when the scandal becomes fodder for the press).  "Say it ain't so, Joe" is a famous/infamous line said to Jackson from one of the press.

I highly recommend this movie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Last night, I re-watched Eight Men Out.  It is directed by John Sayles (who also has an acting role in the film, along with Studs Terkel).  There are so many movies about baseball, and this is one of them.  The film is based on a true scandal when the White Sox became the Black Sox.  Eight White Sox Players (Shoeless Joe Jackson - Ray Liotta plays him in Field of Dreams - claims he never participated in the scandal) were paid to throw the World Series.  One of the reasons the players agreed to throw the games (even though they wanted to win) was the reality of the owner sending flat champagne instead of salary raises/bonuses.  There is so much in this film that I love.  Great characters, great acting, the feeling of what life was like circa 1919, how little boys manage to sneak into baseball parks (think my Dad did that) to see their beloved Sox (and how disappointed they are when the scandal becomes fodder for the press).  "Say it ain't so, Joe" is a famous/infamous line said to Jackson from one of the press.

I highly recommend this movie.

In Field of Dreams Shoeless Joe Jackson is seen batting from the right-hand side of the plate. This is incorrect. He was a left-handed hitter. Eight Men Out gets it right.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

The film is based on a true scandal when the White Sox became the Black Sox.  

The owner Charles Comiskey was a very mean and greedy man,the White Sox  were the Black Sox before the scandal.Comiskey decided to charge the players for the cleaning of their uniforms,the players decided to play with a dirty uniforms for a long time earning the knickname Black Sox ,  Comiskey finally conceded but screwed the players  by charging them back the fees and deducting from their earnings bonus of the World Series of 1917.Severalplayers did not asked for their bribe money in advance, i have seen the film many years ago.Y ou should watch the Baseball documentary by Ken Burns.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

The man was a walking caricature AND A GOD!!!! He has his own doll/action figure. Dyn-O-MITE!!!

c5ed45de2ac27937a50fc0e157c0dc6d.jpg

LMREO!!!! Now he's doing Medicaid commercials.......Fame is fleeting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll have to check out Ken Burns' documentary.  He just came out (timing coincides with Atlanta Olympics where M. Ali lit the Olympic flame) with one on Ali (including both the good and the bad).  Now he was one white individual who didn't generate a tremendous amount of criticism when he did that documentary (which I watched) about the US Civil War.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I hope Rolle saved her money. I know she left the show in a contract dispute. Her career never recovered. A decade later she was playing domestics again on Murder, She Wrote. She played a maid in several episodes......

I too COULD HAVE SWORN THAT ESTHER ROLLE played a maid on MURDER SHE WROTE on several episodes, but I imdb'd her and IT WAS ONLY ONE TIME!! (The episode where BEN MURPHY's car goes off a cliff and JESSICA'S old friend who lives in STATELY WAYNE MANOR ends up losing her mind...or is she being driven crazy? [spoiler- yes and yes.] ESTHER is the maid in that one. 

It was BEAH RICHARDS who played the SASSY BLACK DOMESTIC in the STEAMY SOOOOOUUUHUUHUHUHUTHUN PLANTATION MSW EPISODE where LINDA PURL uses her comforter as a silencer when she kills the lawyer. [RICHARDS gets to tell JESSICA to mind her own business in a very subtle way and it is EPIC)

ESTHER ROLE did however play MAMMY in SCARLETT THE MINISERIES so...there;s that.

she also won an EMMY for SUMMER OF MY GERMAN SOLDIER tho.

she also did a lot of commercials for THE PSYCHIC FRIENDS 1-900 NETWORK before she died. so I am thinking she did not save a nickel.

and then there is DRIVING MISS DAISY which, while I like the film, its use of her character as nothing more than a prop is problematic, even if she is terrific and i don't begrudge her the paycheck)

...Peaks and Valleys.

• Like 1

Check the PBS stations in your area several of them are showing the new remastered version, it is like 20 hours total but worth every minute of it,a classic as great as The Civil War.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I too COULD HAVE SWORN THAT ESTHER ROLLE played a maid on MURDER SHE WROTE on several episodes, but I imdb'd her and IT WAS ONLY ONE TIME!! (The episode where BEN MURPHY's car goes off a cliff and her old friend who lives in STATELY WAYNE MANOR ends up losing her mind...or is she being driven crazy? [spoiler- yes and yes.] ESTHER is the maid in that one. 

It was BEAH RICHARDS who played the SASSY BLACK DOMESTIC in the STEAMY SOOOOOUUUHUUHUHUHUTHUN PLANTATION MSW EPISODE where LINDA PURL uses her comforter as a silencer when she kills the lawyer. [RICHARDS gets to tell JESSICA to mind her own business in a very subtle way and it is EPIC)

ESTHER ROLE did however play MAMMY in SCARLETT THE MINISERIES so...there;s that.

she also did a lot of commercials for THE PSYCHIC FRIENDS 1-900 NETWORK before she died. so I am thinking she did not save a nickel.

and then there is DRIVING MISS DAISY which, while I like the film, its use of her character as nothing more than a prop is problematic, even if she is terrific and i don't begrudge her the paycheck)

...Peaks and Valleys.

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I too COULD HAVE SWORN THAT ESTHER ROLLE played a maid on MURDER SHE WROTE on several episodes, but I imdb'd her and IT WAS ONLY ONE TIME!! (The episode where BEN MURPHY's car goes off a cliff and her old friend who lives in STATELY WAYNE MANOR ends up losing her mind...or is she being driven crazy? [spoiler- yes and yes.] ESTHER is the maid in that one. 

...Peaks and Valleys.

• Hibi
  • Members
  •  
  • 31,088 posts
  • LocationOhio

Psychic Friends? OMG! I could've SWORN she was in one of the New Orleans episodes of MSW.  (Plus the one with Ann Blyth) Yes, sadly she did not have much to do in Daisy, another domestic! I guess she took what she could find to get a paycheck. I did not realize she had won an Emmy. I didnt watch a lot of tv back then. (Thank God for cable!!!)

On 7/18/2021 at 5:51 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am always up for suggestions, it’s one of the prime reasons I come to this board.

fire away. 

Although, to specify, I don’t tend to be into the types of sci-fi movies and shows that are set in outer space, I am more open to earthbound sci-fi, things that deal with time travel, supernatural elements, etc.

Evolution.

Speaking of reading a review or plot synopsis that gives away very important plot points in movies . . .

Years ago I bought the moody 1972 drama MY OLD MAN'S PLACE on 'PRISM Entertainment' and read the plot summary on the back of the video box before watching the movie and  I'll be darned if the box description didn't give away the end of the movie.  The dum (sic) sonsabinches who OK'ed that summary should've had their paychecks docked for a week or a month on account of 'STUPIDITY'.    Sheesh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

There are so many movies about baseball, and this is one of them. 

I can see this being a sports-comedy tagline.   😆

• Like 1