Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

On 7/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, EricJ said:

I don't think I've EVER seen Sir Larry do a comedy, let alone express sufficient enough sense of humor to hold his own in a scene with Marilyn.

John Gielgud has perfect comic timing, Ralph Richardson had an 80's comeback, and Alec Guinness created Ealing, but do any other Laurence Olivier comedies even exist?  Or was dying too easy?

My version of (movie) hell is listening to a loop of Sir Larry's awful, insufferable "foreign" accents, from PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL to THE JAZZ SINGER to THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL. 

Then there was whatever he was doing as a "Canadian" in THE 49th PARALLEL. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Speaking of GREGORY PECK . . . I think he just gave up on the whole 'British accent thing' with THE SEA WOLVES (1980). 

Gregory tried in THE PARADINE CASE, but that was doomed to fail.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

My version of (movie) hell is listening to a loop of Sir Larry's awful, insufferable "foreign" accents, from PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL to THE JAZZ SINGER to THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL. 

Then there was whatever he was doing as a "Canadian" in THE 49th PARALLEL. 

Boys From Brazil was arguably the best of Larry's Old-Jewish Trilogy, if we're throwing in Dracula (1979).

His American accents in The Betsy (1978) and Inchon (1982), however...  😒

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Boys From Brazil was arguably the best of Larry's Old-Jewish Trilogy, if we're throwing in Dracula (1979).

His American accents in The Betsy (1978) and Inchon (1982), however...  😒

LOL   

Oooh, I don't remember that version of DRACULA.   Might have to check it out just to hear him.   He's Van Helsing, right?  I can imagine something like "Ve must find de coffin and drive ze stake through de heart of de vaaaaampiiiire!"

Must also see THE BETSY and INCHON.   I have never heard Olivier play an American!

Link to post
Share on other sites

BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES (1990)

I liked this movie when it first came out, which put me in the huge minority. It had some slickness, interesting characters, above average sets and editing....very good actors.

However after rewatching last night, after not seeing it for at least 20 years, I have to see why it failed so miserably. Brian DePalma was not a comedic/satire director. The final quarter of the movie looked like they were in a big hurry to get out of town. The Bruce Willis character was ridiculous. Hanks was fine. F. Murray Abraham was too. An early Kim Cattrall was meh. Melanie Griffith was there for 2 reasons. I've never found a performance of hers remarkable.

Some very good supporting performances: Saul Rubinek, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Dunn...I watched more closely when they were in the scene. They were the best part of the movie.

Around the same era I was one of the few who really liked PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (1981) which was also not well received. I think it has grown in stature over the years. Sadly, BONFIRE....has not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Mentioning Lord Olivier reminds me of the film he is in that you shouldn't watch before going to a dentist:  Marathon Man (good movie)

"Is it safe?"

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Oh yes, and A LITTLE ROMANCE.

All these accents sounded the same, lol.

In this one, he is sitting with two young women in a restaurant and gabs for about 10 minutes. I thought I was going to die. Killed by innocuous conversation. I think he was trying to sound French. Parbleu!!!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently watched, "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind".

The guy is one of my favorite recording artists, and this documentary, released in 2019, chronicles his music and his career.  It was very interesting.  Most people interviewed for the piece said he was an incredible songwriter and arranger, and was quintessentially Canadian in much of the songs he composed.  I thought it was a very well done production.  It began with one of his early hits, "That's What You Get For Lovin' Me" and how Lightfoot came to view the song with disdain, because at the time, he was married with a couple of kids and didn't think it was an appropriate song to be celebrated as it was.  He still does an occasional performance, even at 78, although his voice isn't as strong as it used to be.   Lightfoot is a good wordsmith whose songs evoke imagery that make you think of Canada or any cold-weather place in the world on some of his songs like "Song For A Winter's Night", "Circle of Steel", and "Did She Mention My Name".  Of course, his songs can make you think of any place anywhere on the globe, because they are so universal, like "Carefree Highway", "Summer Side of Life", "Affair On 8th Avenue", and "Don Quixote".  Then you've got 'story' songs like "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "Canadian Railroad Trilogy".  Gord's Gold is one of my favorite albums, and I'll occasionally bust it out and play it on my turntable.  I'd give the documentary 9 out of 10.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 7:49 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

To codify a statement I made in a previous review, it is only the first two seasons of MAUDE that are on imdb tv, maybe more will be added over time.

i'm still genuinely enjoying it, and would recommend it to any aspiring writers out there for a variety of lessons to be learned, good and bad about dialogue, character and story- it's a bold show, and as such it makes some mistakes as it goes, but overall I am finding it a fascinating commentary on the 1970s

I have not seen many episodes of MAUDE.  I admire more than like the work of Norman Lear and Bud Yorkin.   ALL IN THE FAMILY was a truly innovative 1970s American TV series but I do not enjoy it the way that I do THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, that other innovative 1970s series.  I am definitely team MTM versus team Tandem (Lear and York's production company).

HOWEVER . . . based on your post I watched the first episode of MAUDE on imdb tv (titled "Maude's Problem"), which I’d never seen before, and I absolutely loved it!  The writing and acting were amazing.  I am more familiar with Beatrice Arthur's work as Dorothy Zbornak on THE GOLDEN GIRLS.  Her Maude Findlay is a completely different character than her Dorothy but is just as real. The other actors featured in this episode ---- Billy Macy as Maude's husband Walter (we learn later in the episode that he is her fourth husband) and Adrienne Barbeau* as Maude's daughter Carol (we learn that her father was Maude's second husband) ---- are fantastic and hold their own with Arthur.  All three actors have stage experience and it shows in the way they work before the live audience.  I literally laughed out laugh at several points, something that rarely happens when I watch something by myself. I anticipated Maude biting Walter’s hand but laughed nevertheless when it actually happened. The scene where Maude visits the office of Carol’s psychiatrist Dr. Stern (we learn that he is not Jewish) was brilliant on so many levels.

“Maude’s Problem” was written by Susan Silver, who wrote five episodes of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW (she gave the world Twinks Tvedt) but only this one episode of MAUDE. So perhaps it was more in the MTM vein than the rest of MAUDE. But I definitely will check out more episodes.

 

*I’m a big fan of Adrienne Barnbeau’s work as the voice of Catwoman/Selina Kyle on BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, one of my favorite TV series of all time. 
 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arsan404 said:

I love Laurence Olivier's performance in Sleuth. He gets to display some wry, dark humor that fits perfectly his character.

Just today I was watching a little of The Ebony Tower, a TV movie from 1984, I thought that he was pretty good. I only watched a few minutes but I am interested in it. Apparently he an old school painter, famous it seems, and with a cantankerous dismissal of the new Art. Five years before his death.

And I occasionally revisit the final episode of the TV series, Brideshead Revisited, where he is excellent. There are 10 episodes and he appears in only two of them. In the final one the patriarch comes home to Brideshead to die. Stephane Audran plays his wife. She doesn't say much but she has great presence.

/

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES (1990)

I liked this movie when it first came out, which put me in the huge minority. It had some slickness, interesting characters, above average sets and editing....very good actors.

However after rewatching last night, after not seeing it for at least 20 years, I have to see why it failed so miserably. Brian DePalma was not a comedic/satire director. The final quarter of the movie looked like they were in a big hurry to get out of town. The Bruce Willis character was ridiculous. Hanks was fine. F. Murray Abraham was too. An early Kim Cattrall was meh. Melanie Griffith was there for 2 reasons. I've never found a performance of hers remarkable.

Some very good supporting performances: Saul Rubinek, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Dunn...I watched more closely when they were in the scene. They were the best part of the movie.

Around the same era I was one of the few who really liked PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (1981) which was also not well received. I think it has grown in stature over the years. Sadly, BONFIRE....has not.

The film was satire, parody, based on real events and personalities of the day.  No one back then thought such absurd characters or situations could be taken seriously. Well guess what. Now they are. 

I too thought the movie was a stinker back when it was released. But I've watched it several times since TCM had resurrected it and will again. The irony is thick, and the lessons are tough to take. It's quite the little time capsule and whether intentionally or not TCM is doing an infinitely greater service with this film than ALL of their silly "problematic" series.

Hanks is good. Watch how he interacts when the cops are closing in. THAT is exactly what you say before you call your Lawyer. Griffith is so natural in front of the camera, always has been. I like her in everything except maybe Cherry 2000, I'm particular about my sci-fi.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Melanie Griffith .... I've never found a performance of hers remarkable.

Did you see Adriane Lyne's Lolita? If the premise doesn't put you off, you might see a side of Melanie you haven't before. 

I watched it again last year (it was streaming somewhere, probably still is) and I found her very sympathetic as Charlotte Haze, both as the exploited woman and the single mother at odds with her errant daughter. (Shelly Winters in the Kubrick version might have been truer to Nabakov's literary character, but that just made her pathetic.)

Writing this I'm also reminded of Melanie's role in 1994's Nobody's Fool, where she played a kind-of-sort-of-similar character, the wife of a cheating hubby, also very sympathetically. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

My version of (movie) hell is listening to a loop of Sir Larry's awful, insufferable "foreign" accents, from PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL to THE JAZZ SINGER to THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL. 

Then there was whatever he was doing as a "Canadian" in THE 49th PARALLEL. 

Don’t forget 1978’s DRACULA were his Van Helsing does more than a little “voddling in his Granvodders voodshtoppes.”

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The 1971 Playboy interview is viewed by some as problematic.

Like anyone reads Playboy articles. 🙄

Thanks midwestan for the Gordon Lightfoot documentary mention. While "too cool" to like him when his songs were on the radio, I've since grown to appreciate him in retrospect.

He's one of those guys who sings flat/in between key and nearly impossible to sing along with like James Taylor and Jim Morrison. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

The film was satire, parody, based on real events and personalities of the day.  No one back then thought such absurd characters or situations could be taken seriously. Well guess what. Now they are. 

I too thought the movie was a stinker back when it was released. But I've watched it several times since TCM had resurrected it and will again. The irony is thick, and the lessons are tough to take. It's quite the little time capsule and whether intentionally or not TCM is doing an infinitely greater service with this film than ALL of their silly "problematic" series.

Hanks is good. Watch how he interacts when the cops are closing in. THAT is exactly what you say before you call your Lawyer. Griffith is so natural in front of the camera, always has been. I like her in everything except maybe Cherry 2000, I'm particular about my sci-fi.

I see your point. I agree re. Hanks' performance. I know several TCM posters are not huge Hanks fans, but I am....going all the way back to BOSOM BUDDIES.

I was surprised by my own response. I really like the movie back when it came out and this time I saw the flaws. I guess it has more to do with how I watch movies now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

we stole pay-per-view in the 1990s and I watched BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES several times over a six week period ca. 1991. I was about 12 at the time, but I liked it...funny thing is, I will always remember MELANIE GRIFFITH has a line in it: "Sherman, don't you want a little p00ntang?" in her Suh-huthern accent and FOR YEARS I totally thought she said "Sherman, don't you want a little perm tank?" which I figured must be something really filthy.

I also love the hairstyling for MELANIE GRIFFITH in BONFIRE, she is COIFED within an INCH OF HER LIFE IN THAT FILM.

See the source image

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Like anyone reads Playboy articles. 🙄

Thanks midwestan for the Gordon Lightfoot documentary mention. While "too cool" to like him when his songs were on the radio, I've since grown to appreciate him in retrospect.

He's one of those guys who sings flat/in between key and nearly impossible to sing along with like James Taylor and Jim Morrison. 

Hey Tiki...I think you're somewhat correct about Lightfoot being tough to sing along with on some of his songs, but I've found since I quit smoking, it's easier for me to do it!  🎵  Sadly, as I've aged, I find it harder to sing along with up tempo stuff like Nellie Furtado's 'Turn Out The Lights" or Ed Sheeran's 'Sing'. 😉 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Melanie Griffith.   She is definitely one of my favorite actresses.  I mean who could not like her in Working Girl.  She was so totally great.  She stood out in her role in Nobody's Fool.  Another one of her best films was Stormy Monday.  Bonfire of the Vanities ;had it's flaws, but Melanie was fun to watch.  She was also married to Don Johnson, Steven Bauer and Antonio Bandaras--quite an achievement!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2021 at 8:46 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I always feel the same way when I like an ALTMAN FILM.

I say this because as a director, he has a real "peaks and valleys" type of output- at the high end are THE LONG GOODBYE, BREWSTER McCLOUD, THE PLAYER, and GOSFORD PARK and on the low FOOL FOR LOVE, READY TO WEAR, NASHVILLE and I remember really not liking M*A*S*H* but it's been 30 years since i saw it.

I think Altman's lowest period was in the late 70s early 80s (though he's had others). Have you ever seen QUINTET???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...