Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think Altman's lowest period was in the late 70s early 80s (though he's had others). Have you ever seen QUINTET???

Yikes ! not first run thank god ,Iwatched it on tv many years ago,terrible and entirely filmed in Montreal in January before climate changes.So it was very cold.

• Like 1

Worth seeing once for the utter strangeness of it. Was in and out of theaters in a week or so (the few that played it). 

Yours, Mine and Ours (1968) Caught this for the first time this morning on the treadmill.  I enjoyed it but feel there was potential for a better film.  Kind of wish Ball and Fonda were 5-10 years younger as they just just seem a bit too old.  Even the adult friends like Van Johnson feel too old for what their characters are up to.  Feel like some of the gags are reminiscent of episodes of I Love Lucy, and being a Desilu production, sure that was intentional, but the pay offs are just never quite there.  Feel some of the kids could've been fleshed out a bit more and there's a sub-plot of one of the high school daughter's handsy boyfriend that doesn't seem to be resolved.  Overall a decent film from then fading legends.

• Like 1

Don't think I've ever seen Quintet - mixed it up with another movie that had various vignettes in it.  This morning I watched GMA (while reading my two newspapers and eating breakfast).  I'm sure that, when I turn it on again, before GH (enough already with the Sonny story), they will keep mentioning Simone Biles' injury.  I think they may also be expecting monsoons in Japan.  They should have cancelled the Olympics.  It is a joke now with all the pros now.  By the way, if you are interested in watching a great film, Jim Thorpe, All American, starring Burt Lancaster, tells the true story of Jim Thorpe, of American Indian descent, who was stripped of his medals (I believe they might have posthumously awarded them to him) because of some sort of payment - which he needed in order for he and his family to survive.  Many "amateur" athletes now are doing commercials, etc.  TCM should have run an anti-Tokyo Olympics night - with non-doc. movies based on the Olympics

Personally, don't think Melanie being married 3 times is an achievement.  Her daughter, Dakota, has acted in Fifty Shades of Drek series (I believe it is her daughter with Don J.).  Her mother, Tippi Hedren was a Hitchcock blonde (and opened a sanctuary for animals?).  I like the film she made under the direction of the great Sidney Lumet:  A Stranger Among Us.  She is a copy who goes undercover in an Orthodox Jewish community in NYC.

I like Gosford Park but a friend of my Dad complained that he didn't like the film because he couldn't hear it.  I liked the movie MASH much better than the series.  Gould and Sutherland really clicked and it is the first time I saw Tom Skeritt (sp?) on film.  

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Don’t forget 1978’s DRACULA were his Van Helsing does more than a little “voddling in his Granvodders voodshtoppes.”

LOL

"Put ze cendle BECK!"

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No, I've never even heard of it!

Paul Newman in tatters schlepping through a blizzard, if memory serves....

I prefer him bare-chested in THE LONG HOT SUMMER

1 minute ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

DITTO! It does have a good opening sequence, but it's downhill from there......

• Like 1

I have yet to find a Melanie Griffith performance that is, in my opinion, even halfway good.  

She literally coughed her way through WORKING GIRL, miraculously getting an Oscar nomination in the process.     

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Not a film to watch in the cold winter months (which is when I watched it! LOL)

• Haha 1
Just now, Bronxgirl48 said:

We don't have too many of those down here.   (South Florida)

It might cool you down! :D

12 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I'm not sure it does.

Nobody's Fool is set in a small northern town with lots of snow but I found the story a little more interesting than you apparently did.

Edit: Oh you're talking about something else. Nevermind.

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It might cool you down! :D

In more ways than one, if Paul is in it, lol.

(not that he could compete in my girlish fantasies with Roger Livesey as the quirky laird who determinedly goes after Wendy Hiller in I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING)

4 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I'm not sure it does.

Nobody's Fool is set in a small northern town with lots of snow but I found the story a little more interesting than you apparently did 

My memory is not perfect but I do recall lots of the white stuff in QUINTET.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I'm not sure it does.

Nobody's Fool is set in a small northern town with lots of snow but I found the story a little more interesting than you apparently did.

Edit: Oh you're talking about something else. Nevermind.

We were talking about Quintet.

• Thanks 1

I'm trying like hell to get through TOO YOUNG TO KISS so it can quality for Just Watched status.    I've always liked Van Johnson but June Allyson always creeps me out.   Do not know what it is about her except to say that she was never better cast supposedly against type in THE SHRIKE as Jose Ferrer's controlling wife.