Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Paul made some unfortunate role choices.   I'm thinking also of THE PRIZE and TORN CURTAIN.

Yeah, not every project was a winner. I did like that as he got older he was open to starring in offbeat projects.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Now I'm heating up! Quit messing with me!

LOL

"Oh Hiiiiibi!   Hiiiibi!   I bet you had a doll with no head when you were a kid....."

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

And did some fine work as actor and director with Joanne.

YES. And of course, all those Newman food items that went to charity.......a nice legacy.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

YES. And of course, all those Newman food items that went to charity.......a nice legacy.

Sockarooni pasta sauce sits in my pantry as we speak.

56 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I have yet to find a Melanie Griffith performance that is, in my opinion, even halfway good.  

She literally coughed her way through WORKING GIRL, miraculously getting an Oscar nomination in the process.     

She’s great in BODY DOUBLE. There is a hilarious scene where she meets a legitimate actress at Hollywood party who doesn’t recognize her from her dirty films, it’s very bold, very funny. 

• Like 5

Body Double is her film i liked the most as she was part of the film and not a star yet. Unfortunately i can't  really say i like her childish voice, never liked it,she inherited it from her mother Tippi Hedren ,it sounds a little like her,I watched Night Moves last week and the print was corrected,i watched it on tv many years ago and you could see a big boom microphone following every word the 2 actors were saying ,i remember it was in a small room  in the movie, Griffith was having an affair with Warren Beatty while she was in the movie or just before, she was 15 or 16!!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I have yet to find a Melanie Griffith performance that is, in my opinion, even halfway good.  

She literally coughed her way through WORKING GIRL, miraculously getting an Oscar nomination in the process.     

She was at least halfway good in Working Girl, all the way good in Body Double and 3/4s good in Mulholland Falls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I agree with you here, although i can't really recall more than a handful of films of hers that i've seen.  From what i have heard about her, seems like she had a very strange childhood growing up with big cats and in the hollywood scene.  Still want to watch Roar...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

🙄

Thanks midwestan for the Gordon Lightfoot documentary mention. While "too cool" to like him when his songs were on the radio, I've since grown to appreciate him in retrospect.

He's one of those guys who sings flat/in between key and nearly impossible to sing along with like James Taylor and Jim Morrison. 

Recently I listened to a Bob Dylan album for the first time in a couple of decades and the immediate reaction was, "I didn't remember his singing was that bad." I think Dylan tends to be sharp rather than flat, but not closely acquainted with pitch, in any event; I wondered if the songs had been remastered a bit sharp. Of course, Dylan has energy and power, but plenty of rock singers sound rough, raspy, and on pitch.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I'm not sure it does.

Nobody's Fool is set in a small northern town with lots of snow but I found the story a little more interesting than you apparently did.

Edit: Oh you're talking about something else. Nevermind.

No problem!

On 7/26/2021 at 8:06 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Not too long ago, I purchased a copy of 5001 NIGHTS AT THE MOVIES by PAULINE KAEL wherein she looses her s*** over NASHVILLE to SUCH a degree that I BOUGHT IT FOR $7.99 on AMAZON PRIME because renting was not an option.

while there are some things I liked, and it was worth seeing for the cars, [some of] the actors, and the POWERFUL 1970sness of it, it is a condescending, ELITIST, downright RUDE film, the music sucks and the line "THIS AIN'T DALLAS! THIS IS NASHVILLE" is one of the 10 WORST in the HISTORY OF CINEMA.

also LILY TOMLIN is no great shakes in it, nor is RONEE BLAKELY.

NASHVILLE has its moments ---- I actually thought  some of the songs were really good parodies of the so-called "countrypolitan"/Nashville sound music of the 1960s and 1970s ---- but the biggest flaw (for me anyway) is that some of the Southern accents don't sound authentic.   Thus, the pseudo-documentary vibe that Robert Altman tries to achieve is broken.

I do like quite a few of Altman's movies especially 3 WOMEN, BREWSTER McCLOUD,  McCABE & MRS. MILLER, GOSFORD PARK and POPEYE.  

• Like 2

Like midwestan, I just watched a music documentary 2019's LINDA RONSTADT: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE which is offered free on YouTube with incredibly distracting commercials.

Since I've always been a fan & admirer of Ronstadt, little was new to me. But it was fabulous to hear colleagues reminisces & insights from those who worked with her. I was amazed at all the great footage of Linda as a youngster and beginning performer in the folk music world. I love that Linda is a true artist and is not bound by any genre-it's ALL music...and she is our seminal lady singer. 

This movie was edited perfectly. The interviews of her colleagues were informative & intelligent, none of the crazy drivel so often included in biopics of "how they influenced me" or "the first time I heard..." from strangers. These insights are personal & reflective of Linda, not them.

One of my favorite lines came from Jackson Browne who went on tour with Linda, "We'd switch our order each night, I'd go on first one night, she'd go on first the next night. How do you go on & reach an audience after LINDA'S been on stage?"

Her career has an unusual trajectory for most pop music performers, but one that was just right for her-and us. 

Linda_Ronstadt_-_The_Sound_of_My_Voice.j

Some of you may know she has Parkinson's disease which has taken her mobility & her voice away. Rather than feeling sorry for her, I am so grateful she took the path she did, giving us all she had while she could. Ronstadt's career & legacy illustrates a true life lesson. Thank you Linda & thanks to the guys who made this film.

• Like 6

The Ronstadt documentary was produced  and presented by CNN,hence the ads ,i have seen it then,it is a good one.

LINDA RONSTADT: The Sound of My Voice, the 2019 Critics’ Choice Documentary Awards winner for Best Music Documentary, will premiere as a CNN Films documentary Wednesday, New Year’s Day, at 9:00pm ET and PT on CNN.  The Rob Epstein- and Jeffrey Friedman-directed Telling Pictures film explores the life and musical legacy of the 10-time Grammy® -winning artist who has received an astounding 26 career Grammy® Awards nominations, is a recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Latin Grammy® Award, has sold 11 platinum albums, and was the first artist to top the Pop, Country, and R&B music charts simultaneously.

LINDA RONSTADT: The Sound of My Voice, narrated by the artist herself, will encore Saturday, Jan. 4 at 9:00pm and Sunday, Jan. 5 at 12:00am Eastern (Saturday, 6:00pm and 9:00pm Pacific), on CNN.

Personal photos, archival concert performance footage, and music videos guide viewers through her early years in Tucson, singing Mexican canciones with her family, her folk music days with the Stone Poneys, and her famed musical collaborations.  Ronstadt describes personal stories behind “You’re No Good,” “Blue Bayou,” and “When Will I Be Loved,” contextualizing how her powerful vocal range gave her singing a searing intensity created devoted fans, even among her musical peers, creating music magic that crosses genres and generations.

Ronstadt sang country, soul, blues, folk, and Spanish-language music, recording with James Ingram, Aaron Neville, Bonnie Raitt, Mariachi Vargas, and more.  She formed the ‘Trio’ with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris, creating harmonic, storied performances including “Telling Me Lies,” “Wildflowers,” and “To Know Him Is To Love Him.”

LINDA RONSTADT: The Sound of My Voice was produced by James Keach and PCH Films, who previously teamed with CNN Films for the acquisition and broadcast of GLEN CAMPBELL…I’ll Be Me.

12 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I do like quite a few of Altman's movies especially 3 WOMEN, BREWSTER McCLOUD,  McCABE & MRS. MILLER, GOSFORD PARK and POPEYE.  

maybe even moreso than VIVIEN LEIGH being BORN to be SCARLETT O'HARA, SHELLEY DUVALL was BORN to be OLIVE OYL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Working Girl's premise is totally unrealistic.  Really don't see chemistry between her and Harrison Ford.  And no one gets their hair chopped off and suddenly looks stunning.  Plus, lying her way to the top to get back at S. Weaver (who reminds me of some bosses I've had - of the female variety) is very childish.  Michelle Pfeiffer did a better job in The Fabulous Baker Boys (and she had good chemistry with Jeff Bridges).

Vivian was better at American accents (of the Southern variety) in the two films she won Oscars for.  And Joan Plowright was great in Avalon as the quintessential Jewish mother-in-law (did an Italian one) in the movie called I Love You to Death (Kevin Kline, River Phoenix? and Tracy Ullman).  Would love to see both of those again.

Last night, I started to watch but fell asleep watching Butterfield 8 (read the book and Liz's character meets a rather gory end).  Listened to the background data.  Some people believe she won her Oscar for it because people thought she was dying.

• Like 1

Watched a Chopped with man's best friend (a dog).  The chefs had to make a treat for the dog and the judges using items in the mystery baskets.  Dog looked like a beautiful golden retriever.  Spoiler alert:  Messing up your dish for the human judges and throwing something smeared with peanut butter (which showed no creative effort) won't save you from being chopped.

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Last night, I started to watch but fell asleep watching Butterfield 8 (read the book and Liz's character meets a rather gory end).  Listened to the background data.  Some people believe she won her Oscar for it because people thought she was dying.

I thought the film was decent.  Taylor looks pretty sexy in it.  Her performance was pretty good too but surprised she won her first Oscar for it.  Still not sure why they spell the film BUtterfield  with the U capitalized.