Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

26 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Thanks for sharing!

Some of the buildings look in better shape now that they did in the movie POPEYE.   A few of them looked like a strong wind gust would knock them down.

And, of course, there was the sequence where Bluto snapped and wrecked  the Oyls' house  ---- as he sung "I'm Mean."

The Oyls' house wasn't part of the video tour of Malta's Popeye Village. I wonder if it still is standing.

Upon checking the map it appears several homes have fallen to further gentrification of Popeyville. Notably absent are Wimpy's pad, Bluto or "Brutisk's" house and Jeep's domicile. When will the madness cease!!!

winter_package_maps2014.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lady Gangster (1942)

I recorded this a little while back for Faye Emerson.  I've seen Emerson in quite a few movies now, and I've come to really like her.  It's a shame that she never really found her niche in movies.  For the longest time, I only knew of the name "Faye Emerson" from the Vitameatavegamin episode of "I Love Lucy," when Lucy "appears" on their TV to audition for Ricky.  Lucy, tells Fred her plan to "appear on TV" and says something like "And you know who is going to be on it (the TV)?" and Fred says, "well, I can only hope it's Faye Emerson." It was only until I saw her with Errol Flynn in Uncertain Glory that I learned who Faye Emerson was and later, I read about her television career in the 1950s.

Anyway, Lady Gangster features Emerson in one of her few starring roles.  This film was apparently a remake of Barbara Stanwyck's fabulous 1933 pre-code, Ladies They Talk About.  I would have never known that Lady Gangster was a remake of the Stanwyck film if I hadn't read that it was. 

In Lady Gangster, Emerson plays Dorothy "Dot" Burton, a struggling actress who ends up becoming part of a gang led by crook, Carey Wells (Roland Drew).  Like in Ladies They Talk About, the female protagonist works as a decoy for the gang.  Both Dot and Stanwyck's character, Nan, end up helping a bank robbery come off successfully, but are incarcerated for their role in the robbery. The women act as decoys in different ways in their respective films, Nan calls in a false alarm to send the police in a wild goose chase--away from the bank her partners are robbing.  Dot on the other hand, convinces the bank guard into letting her into the bank before the bank officially opens so that she can make a deposit and catch a train.  While the door is unlocked, her partners bust in and pull off the heist.   In Ladies They Talk About, Nan has a former friend, now a preacher, who is in love with her and wants to help her clear her name and get her life turned around.  In Lady Gangster, Dot has an old childhood flame who is now a District Attorney, who wants to help her clear her name.  In Ladies They Talk About, part of Nan's gang is imprisoned in the men's prison on the other side of the wall from the ladies' prison.  In Lady Gangster, Dot ended up being the fall guy for the bank robbery and goes to jail.  She learns that her gang plans to keep her part of the proceeds from the heist, and decides instead to steal the money from the gang and then return it to the bank when she's out of jail.  Dot manages to take the stolen $40k from her gang and places it in the care of her landlady. Both Nan in Ladies They Talk About, and Dot in Lady Gangster make an enemy in the prison; but also have an ally in the form of another prisoner.  I did like the part in Lady Gangster when Dot decides to break herself out after her parole is denied (due to the interference by another prisoner) by hitting the female warden over the head and stealing her coat and hat, so she could walk out of the prison undetected.  Somehow, this works and she doesn't stay in jail.   Thankfully, Lady Gangster spares us from the bizarre ending that Ladies They Talk About has.  Unfortunately, Lady Gangster did NOT feature a scene of an inmate singing a love song to a photo of Joe E. Brown, a memorable scene from Ladies They Talk About.

Overall, the original film, Ladies They Talk About is the superior film to Lady Gangster.  Barbara Stanwyck is (obviously) a superior actress to Faye Emerson.  However, the remake has its moments.  Both films share some similarities, but ultimately are very different from one another.  Lady Gangster has a weak plot and seems meandering at times. I love Ladies They Talk About and have seen it (and own it) multiple times.  Lady Gangster was okay and I would watch it again if it aired on TCM; but it wouldn't be anything that I'd have to rush out and buy or make a point to watch. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

For me Jack Nicholson is the definitive movie Joker.  He owns every scene that he's in  after the transformation.

I also had all six of the BATMAN RETURNS "collectible" cups from McDonald's  ---- with the Frisbee Batdisc lids.

I like Nicholson too.  He, Cesar Romero, and Mark Hamill are the best Jokers for me.  While Heath Ledger was great, I quickly tired of his Joker (and the endless parodies and costumes) and didn't particularly like the films.  Christopher Nolan doesn't really do anything for me.  And Joaquin Phoenix was fine as his Joker, but again, I quickly tired of it.  I also wouldn't watch Joker again.  I don't particularly need to to know about whatever sad and dark backstory Joker (or any of the characters have for that matter) has. 

I think we had most of the McDonald's cups.  Weren't there also cups for Batman Forever ?

• Like 1

Nicholson was funny (and his connection to Bruce Wayne made sense - Michael Keaton was my favorite movie Batman).  Didn't know Mark Hamill played the Joker.  I liked Max Shreck (sp?) played by Christopher Walken and a nod to the actor who played Nosferatu as the major villain in the 2nd Batman Movie (with Michelle Pfeiffer).  Still can't watch Heath Ledger and didn't like Chris Nolan's take on Batman - Tim Burton did a better job  Danny DeVito turned the Penguin into a rather tragic figure.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Upon checking the map it appears several homes have fallen to further gentrification of Popeyville. Notably absent are Wimpy's pad, Bluto or "Brutisk's" house and Jeep's domicile.

(Um, probably because the Jeep wasn't in the movie, and Jules Pfeiffer rewrote him into Swee'Pea's horse racing plot?)

22 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Nicholson was funny (and his connection to Bruce Wayne made sense - Michael Keaton was my favorite movie Batman).  Didn't know Mark Hamill played the Joker.  I liked Max Shreck (sp?) played by Christopher Walken and a nod to the actor who played Nosferatu as the major villain in the 2nd Batman Movie (with Michelle Pfeiffer).  Still can't watch Heath Ledger and didn't like Chris Nolan's take on Batman - Tim Burton did a better job  Danny DeVito turned the Penguin into a rather tragic figure.

Mark Hamill voiced the Joker in the early 90s cartoon series, Batman: The Animated Series.  I used to watch it when it was new, after school. It was an excellent cartoon, with a lot of film noir elements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I like Nicholson too.  He, Cesar Romero, and Mark Hamill are the best Jokers for me.  While Heath Ledger was great, I quickly tired of his Joker (and the endless parodies and costumes) and didn't particularly like the films.  Christopher Nolan doesn't really do anything for me.  And Joaquin Phoenix was fine as his Joker, but again, I quickly tired of it.  I also wouldn't watch Joker again.  I don't particularly need to to know about whatever sad and dark backstory Joker (or any of the characters have for that matter) has. 

I think we had most of the McDonald's cups.  Weren't there also cups for Batman Forever ?

BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES is my favorite adaptation of Batman, and Mark Hamill is my favorite Joker in all media. 

Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker in the DARK  KNIGHT was great, but I didn't like that for his version the Joker's white face was just make-up rather than chemical bleaching.

For BATMAN FOREVER, McDonald's had glass mugs.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HoldenIsHere said:

BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES is my favorite adaptation of Batman, and Mark Hamill is my favorite Joker in all media. 

Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker in the DARK  KNIGHT was great, but I didn't like that for his version the Joker's white face was just make-up rather than chemical bleaching.

For BATMAN FOREVER, McDonald's had glass mugs.  

Mark Hamill's Joker was fantastic. Who knew he would be so good at having a scary voice? I read that the show originally wanted to cast Tim Curry as Joker, but his voice was thought to be too scary for kids.  He would have also been amazing.  I also enjoyed the more dramatic falling into the acid vat version of Joker, rather than just painting the face in a deranged way.  That seems to be the way that Heath Ledger, Joaquin Phoenix, and Jared Leto (I think.  His Joker was just bizarre) went.

Okay.  Then I only had the Batman Returns cups.  My family didn't collect the glass mugs.  I tried googling pictures of the McDonald's cups and the ones I keep seeing, I do not remember.  I swear there was a different art style. The ones we had, I don't remember them being so colorful.  I could have sworn that the ones we had just had close-ups of the actor's faces and had a dark color scheme.  I might be conflating the cups with the movie poster though...

w2flnem6t9gbcm2yibid.png

Omg. I had this Catwoman Happy Meal toy! 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

The promo kit for the series is pretty cool with the pop ups.

14377040%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

14377051%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

• Like 2

I have Batman: the Animated Series on DVD.  I believe that it was just released on Blu Ray.  I think it is streaming on HBO Max right now.

"Last Days of Sodom and Gomorrah" (1962) on FXX.

.5% Biblical, 99.5% embellishment. So the cities were destroyed by earthquake and lightning....that's a new one.  :blink:

Nice pillar of salt though.

The queen was squashed by huge horizontal pillar of stone. :D

220px-Sodom_and_Gomorra_(1962).jpg

• Like 1

Honeymoon_In_Vegas.jpg

Honeymoon in Vegas 1992

I was prompted to get this from my library after someone here mentioned they liked it.  The discussion came up because of Mank’s recent James Caan interview on Sunday Morning. I have never seen Sarah Jessica Parker in anything before and was very curious about her.

This movie struck me as a romanic screwball comedy in the classic Hollywood tradition. Silly plot of Nick Cage’s charactor Jack, resisting marriage commitment with long time girlfriend Betsy, played by Parker.

He decides to just get married & they fly to Las Vegas for a quick wedding. In the greatest screwball tradition, all hex breaks loose! Jack finds himself owing a huge gambling debt to gangster Caan who will wipe away the debt if allowed a chaste weekend “date” with Betsy. Fun fun fun!

Everyone is top notch here even the broody Cage as a clueless oaf. Caan was perfectly slimy-I know guys just like him! Acting was ramped up a bit, but exaggeration works well in this type of light romantic comedy. We accept & enjoy Eric Bloor as goofy butler in Astaire/Rogers movies...same thing.  I could picture Cary Grant or Franchot Tone playing Cage's role. Parker's role could have easily been played by Stanwyck or Rogers in the 30's/40's.

But oh I see what the world loves about Sarah Jessica Parker. What a gamine! She was wardrobed & coiffed perfectly, she’s a joy to watch. The role was a light one, but like Rogers/Stanwyck before her, exuded brains & confidence while never seeming unreasonable or bossy.

There were a few fun touches- quick cameo by Ann Bancroft. A wholly inessential diversion of Hippie Islanders played by Peter Boyle & Pat Morita are so delightful they add rather than detract. So wonderful to see these two powerhouse actors spice things up in fun little charactor roles.

The other notable piece is the Elvis Impersonators everywhere in this movie. That’s something I have actually experienced in real life- finding myself at a resort during an Elvis Impersonator's Convention! Nice to see the homage because it was exactly like this movie!

628x471.jpg

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

It's interesting that Catwoman didn't drive a car like that in the actual movie!

I wish she had! 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’m so mean I had a dream 
Of beatin’ myself up.
I broke my nose. 
I broke my hand.
I wrestled myself to the ground and then
I choked myself to death and broke the choke
And woke up.
Arrr!

I'm still waiting for a movie starring AQUAWOMAN. 

AQUAMAN is so passé.

(P.S.  Did you hear that "Aquaman" went bankrupt?  He invested all of his Aqua$Dough$ into breeding his own brand of goldfish.  Only problem was the goldfish he was breeding would drown . . . welp, better luck next time I reckon). 

This morning I watched CBS Sunday morning.  On their piece on MTV, they got it wrong about reality series.  PBS had The Louds.  Then I watched NCIS repeats, which made me look up actors I recognized (one from General Hospital and one from White Collar).  Roughly 6:15 this evening, one of my channels is running the original The Thomas Crown Affair.  Then later, I can watch Dick Van Dyke repeats on MeTV.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

It's interesting that Catwoman didn't drive a car like that in the actual movie!

She had one in the TV series.  This is the dressed up car from Bewitched and Star Trek...

Little-known sci-fi fact: Kirk's Trek hot rod was Catwoman's, too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I'm still waiting for a movie starring AQUAWOMAN. 

You mean Queen Mera?  It's not like Warner/DC didn't THINK about it, during their still franchise-universe obsessed post-Justice League days of praying for spinoffs, but by that point, they were letting Jason Momoa's Aquaman sink or swim.

justice-league-amber-heard-mera.jpg?fit=

(Yes, "Elektra syndrome" doesn't just apply to Marvel and the Black Widow movie after Iron Man 2.)

Of course, that depends on whether Johnny Depp Pirates fans will let the studio make a movie with Amber Heard.

• Like 2

Currently "In" a Nehemiah Persoff binge-athon.. In Honor of his One Hundred and Second Birthday.

The Naked City.. ... ✔.

😏 (Only) One Hundred and Ninety-Nine more films and shows left to go

A Night for Crime (1943)

A feisty reporter and the studio PR flack who loves her find a dead body at the end of a blackout.

This is a neat little murder mystery with the standard fast pacing and cracking wise which is so loved by viewers of the genre. It is Glenda Farrell after her run of: Torchy Blane movies. It is: Lyle Talbot in his common role as a strong but slightly befuddled guy in love with a woman who toys with his affection. I am sorry to say that the rest of the cast seems to be whomever they could pull off the street when filming began. A few have considerable number of credits but there was a definite reason they did not become stars and spent most of their working life in 'B' movies.

6.2/10

It is available for viewing free with commercials on: TubiTV.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

She had one in the TV series.  This is the dressed up car from Bewitched and Star Trek...

Little-known sci-fi fact: Kirk's Trek hot rod was Catwoman's, too

I'm trying to remember if I know a girl who wouldn't rather be seen walking across the parking lot naked than be photographed behind the wheel of that embarrassment. Most guys would rather help you move a long buried body. 

• Haha 1

Last night I watched a film I've seen before (after watching the end of The Frighteners - silly horror film with Michael J. Fox):  The original Thomas Crowne Affair.  Great music, not just Michele Legrand's Windmills of My Mind.  Steve McQueen is magnificent - love the scene where he knows he is being watched and dons the baseball cap and shows his athleticism (without hurting the guy).  The opening scenes alone (i.e., with the first robbery) are great.  Supporting cast, including Paul Burke and Jack Weston are good and Faye Dunaway had one of her best roles in this film (which at one point was noted for a long kiss).  The only thing I was trying to figure out was the way McQueen kept bursting out into laughter.

• Like 3