Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I'm saying someone involved with the Good Will Hunting script obviously was influenced, possibly HEAVILY influenced by patient/doctor aspect in Equus

Y'mean BEN or MATT?  I wouldn't be surprised as the film is full of tropes, sounds and looks good at a glance, but quickly becomes apparent that the viewer is being manipulated... ech, I love ROBIN WILLIAMS but I kind of enjoy knocking that film. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

So fewer commercials is better?

And none at all is BEST!

other streaming services like THE ROKU CHANNEL (as Sansfin mentioned), TUBI and PEACOCK show most of their ads at the beginning of the film you are watching, and then either decrease the number of ad breaks or forego them altogether (PEACOCK, I know runs all the ads at the start of the film and then runs none for the duration.)

BUT PLUTO (which actually has a pretty decent catalogue of films and TV shows to choose from) is just a CONSTANT SHOTGUN SPRAY OF ADS. THEY NEVER LET UP for the duration of the film, one 3 minute break every 10-12 minutes without fail.

I had been wanting to see the movie SECONDS (1966) for years and found it on PLUTO TV and had to quit watching after 20 minutes of the film was interrupted by 20 minutes of commercial. I'm not kidding. They would have an ad break, show ONE MINUTE OF THE FILM, and then launch into another AD BREAK.

 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And none at all is BEST!

other streaming services like THE ROKU CHANNEL (as Sansfin mentioned), TUBI and PEACOCK show most of their ads at the beginning of the film you are watching, and then either decrease the number of ad breaks or forego them altogether (PEACOCK, I know runs all the ads at the start of the film and then runs none for the duration.)

BUT PLUTO (which actually has a pretty decent catalogue of films and TV shows to choose from) is just a CONSTANT SHOTGUN SPRAY OF ADS. THEY NEVER LET UP for the duration of the film, one 3 minute break every 10-12 minutes without fail.

I had been wanting to see the movie SECONDS (1966) for years and found it on PLUTO TV and had to quit watching after 20 minutes of the film was interrupted by 20 minutes of commercial. I'm not kidding. They would have an ad break, show ONE MINUTE OF THE FILM, and then launch into another AD BREAK.

 

50/50?!?

Wow! Yeah that kinda screws over the suspense element.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Citizen Ed said:

50/50?!?

Wow! Yeah that kinda screws over the suspense element.

It is possible that in recalling, I exaggerate. But seriously, the way I recall it it was a 50-50 ratio of commercials to film time.

I went online and did some reading and The commercial situation Pluto has actually improved . It used to be even worse.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2021 at 12:47 PM, Shank Asu said:

Mogumbo  (1953) I like these safari adventure films--feels like Hemingway's short stories, but I thought the plot of this was pretty weak and the love triangle not believable--and ultimately I didn't care about it either as I wasn't invested enough in any of the characters.

If you haven't already seen it, definitely check out Red Dust (1932), the original pre-code of which Mogambo is a remake.  Jean Harlow and Mary Astor play the roles taken by Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly in the latter.  I suspect you may find the original significantly more entertaining.

See also the little-known sequel, Please, Sir, May I Have Some Mo' Gumbo (1969).

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

I liked it, thought the visuals were great. Read all about it here: Noirsville

Thanks, good write up. It is possible I would’ve liked the film much better without the constant commercial interruptions, I could absolutely kick myself for not watching it on Roku.

There are some good visuals on the film, I’m just surprised about the quality of the film itself, I’ve never seen this kind of scratching and dust marks on the negative of  such a recent film.
 

I know it was produced by MGM, I guess after it bombed they just left the master print out of the can.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

If you haven't already seen it, definitely check out Red Dust (1932), the original pre-code of which Mogambo is a remake.  Jean Harlow and Mary Astor play the roles taken by Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly in the latter.  I suspect you may find the original significantly more entertaining.

See also the little-known sequel, Please, Sir, May I Have Some Mo' Gumbo (1969).

Cool, i will look for it.  I did read on wikipedia that it was a remake and that Gable was in both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Finished MULHOLLAND FALLS, there were SEVEN COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE LAST FORTY MINUTES!!!!!

Well I hope they're happy . . . 

hRajw69.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Y'mean BEN or MATT?

Or William Goldman, who either wrote the whole thing or none of it depending on which version you believe.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Or William Goldman, who either wrote the whole thing or none of it depending on which version you believe.

 

Dig it!  I have no idea though I recall somebodies won Oscars for the screenplay... which I confess I don't like too much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Finished MULHOLLAND FALLS, there were SEVEN COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE LAST FORTY MINUTES!!!!!

Glad you made it through the commercial torture. I haven't seen this one, but was reading about it over in the noir thread. Going to have to add it to the list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NostalgicNautilus said:

Glad you made it through the commercial torture. I haven't seen this one, but was reading about it over in the noir thread. Going to have to add it to the list.

Well if you decide to watch it, for the love of God watch it on the Roku channel and not Pluto!!!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I finished IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGUIM '69. The movie is just comedy fluff sort of in the same vein as Mad Mad World-kind of slapstick & silly with the thinnest of plot mostly held together by great performances of charactor actors/comedians. 

The 99 minute movie is about a tour bus of Americans traveling through Europe guided by a cheeky British playboy who has a girl in every stop of the tour. These lovelies are only seen briefly and add a bit of comedy just by being a distraction-these cameos include Joan Collins, Anita Ekberg, Virna Lisi, etc-ALL looking fabulous wearing incredible fashions of the day.

The story revolves around Suzanne Pleshette's European tour to mull over marriage, the only non comedic charactor being pursued by the playboy tour guide played by Ian McShane ( still actively working) I've always thought Pleshette was beautiful, but she's never looked as great as she does in this film-her various 60's hair-dos & costuming are just adorable, topping off with that smoky voice. There's a subplot of a teen girl on the tour who meets up with an American boy and their wild youth costuming is also fabulous.

The principle tour group includes hilarious Peggy Cass, Mildred Natwick (whom I mistakenly thought was British) Norman Fell, Marty Ingalls and Michael Constantine. There were several others I recognized, but simply forgotten through time like Aubrey Morris, Reva Rose & Sandy Baron. While I generally like Marty Ingalls, his charactor was annoyingly obnoxious as a girl chaser. And most of the "running jokes" like the couple separated from the wife getting on the wrong bus were forgettable. Mike Constantine's charactor kept referring to "being there during the war" and his scene reconnecting with his love Gina was actually very heartfelt & sweet.

This movie is a visual feast between the 60's costuming & the exotic scenery, but mostly it's a simple lighthearted fluff. There were several scenes employing rapid fire cut edits supposedly for comedic value but just came across as **** & horrifying. This movie hasn't aged well, but I found enough to enjoy it OK.

(the "adult" sticker on the poster means it's from Canada)

IfItsTuesdayMustBebelgiumposter.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Last night I finished IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGUIM '69. The movie is just comedy fluff sort of in the same vein as Mad Mad World-kind of slapstick & silly with the thinnest of plot mostly held together by great performances of charactor actors/comedians. 

The 99 minute movie is about a tour bus of Americans traveling through Europe guided by a cheeky British playboy who has a girl in every stop of the tour. These lovelies are only seen briefly and add a bit of comedy just by being a distraction-these cameos include Joan Collins, Anita Ekberg, Virna Lisi, etc-ALL looking fabulous wearing incredible fashions of the day.

The story revolves around Suzanne Pleshette's European tour to mull over marriage, the only non comedic charactor being pursued by the playboy tour guide played by Ian McShane ( still actively working) I've always thought Pleshette was beautiful, but she's never looked as great as she does in this film-her various 60's hair-dos & costuming are just adorable, topping off with that smoky voice. There's a subplot of a teen girl on the tour who meets up with an American boy and their wild youth costuming is also fabulous.

The principle tour group includes hilarious Peggy Cast, Mildred Natwick (whom I mistakenly thought was British) Norman Fell, Marty Ingalls and Michael Constantine. There were several others I recognized, but simply forgotten through time like Aubrey Morris, Reva Rose & Sandy Baron. While I generally like Marty Ingalls, his charactor was annoyingly obnoxious as a girl chaser. And most of the "running jokes" like the couple separated from the wife getting on the wrong bus were forgettable. Mike Constantine's charactor kept referring to "being there during the war" and his scene reconnecting with his love Gina was actually very heartfelt & sweet.

This movie is a visual feast between the 60's costuming & the exotic scenery, but mostly it's a simple lighthearted fluff. There were several scenes employing rapid fire cut edits supposedly for comedic value but just came across as **** & horrifying. This movie hasn't aged well, but I found enough to enjoy it OK.

(the "adult" sticker on the poster means it's from Canada)

IfItsTuesdayMustBebelgiumposter.jpg

Good lord yes! That sultry smokey voice and those deep smoldering blue eyes! Suzanne Pleshette was... wowsers! Yes she was. Source of a few impure thoughts 😳...or so I'd imagine.

... wowsers...but in other news.

I had a weird heck of a stream of consciousness type journey when you mentioned Marty Ingels. Your description of the girl chaser character didn't match up as a role for the picture in my mind. I was thinking a hapless lovable schlub type character so I googled him. Soon as I saw him I recognized him and it wasn't the guy I was thinking of.Which lead me to wonder who was the guy in my head? It seemed I remembered him in some old Doritos commercials from when I was a kid. So I googled '60s and '70s Doritos commercials. 

This lead me to discover it was Avery Schreiber in those old spots. Unfortunately Avery wasn't the guy in my noggin either.  Mayhaps it was Avery's partner in those commercials thinks I. So instead of doing y'know, the actual work I'm getting paid to do, I watched a buncha classic old Doritos ads to satisfy my curiosity.

It went unsated. My guy wasn't in the commercials. This was no longer a hmmm I wonder who that masked man was type pondering. No, this had leapt into the near religious Hajj type crusade territory.  I HAD to know who was this bug eyed, wiry haired jester stuck in my mind that my hippocampus wouldn't send down my brain stem. (I have no clue if that's how it really works. I'm just throwing words out there because God forbid I post anything that's not overblown, drawn out and long winded. Seriously though, I'd recommend my writings for bathroom reading. Better than prune juice with an Ex-Lax chaser.)

So once again I go googling. Sixties stand-up comedians. And I scroll, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, scroll, scroll, Jonathan Winters, Phyllis Diller, scroll, Shelly Berman, Joan Rivers, Bob Newhart, scroll, scroll, scr!!!! THERE! THERE HE IS!!! I'M NOT CRAZY! Okay, the doc's are still deliberating that last one but, IT'S HIM! HE'S A REAL HONEST TO GOD PERSON! NOT ANOTHER IMAGINARY... uhhhm not relevant.

So in my vision quest I went from Marty Ingels to Avery Schreiber, to finally rediscover,

Marty Allen.

 

0b64d109-9fbd-4934-90b5-594757c495c1_1.eb5a0bea23f4cdf0c0b8aac2478ef1a3.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

marty-allen-photofest-450x600.jpg

18023-marty-allen.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Last night I finished IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGUIM '69. The movie is just comedy fluff sort of in the same vein as Mad Mad World-kind of slapstick & silly with the thinnest of plot mostly held together by great performances of charactor actors/comedians. 

The 99 minute movie is about a tour bus of Americans traveling through Europe guided by a cheeky British playboy who has a girl in every stop of the tour. These lovelies are only seen briefly and add a bit of comedy just by being a distraction-these cameos include Joan Collins, Anita Ekberg, Virna Lisi, etc-ALL looking fabulous wearing incredible fashions of the day.

The story revolves around Suzanne Pleshette's European tour to mull over marriage, the only non comedic charactor being pursued by the playboy tour guide played by Ian McShane ( still actively working) I've always thought Pleshette was beautiful, but she's never looked as great as she does in this film-her various 60's hair-dos & costuming are just adorable, topping off with that smoky voice. There's a subplot of a teen girl on the tour who meets up with an American boy and their wild youth costuming is also fabulous.

The principle tour group includes hilarious Peggy Cast, Mildred Natwick (whom I mistakenly thought was British) Norman Fell, Marty Ingalls and Michael Constantine. There were several others I recognized, but simply forgotten through time like Aubrey Morris, Reva Rose & Sandy Baron. While I generally like Marty Ingalls, his charactor was annoyingly obnoxious as a girl chaser. And most of the "running jokes" like the couple separated from the wife getting on the wrong bus were forgettable. Mike Constantine's charactor kept referring to "being there during the war" and his scene reconnecting with his love Gina was actually very heartfelt & sweet.

This movie is a visual feast between the 60's costuming & the exotic scenery, but mostly it's a simple lighthearted fluff. There were several scenes employing rapid fire cut edits supposedly for comedic value but just came across as **** & horrifying. This movie hasn't aged well, but I found enough to enjoy it OK.

(the "adult" sticker on the poster means it's from Canada)

IfItsTuesdayMustBebelgiumposter.jpg

Haven't seen it in years.  The only scene I vividly remember were the two war veterans visiting a battle site, simultaneously recounting the scene from their perspective to their spouses as they pass each other

Peggy Cass was underutilized in film, as was Mildred Natwick.

I saw Marty Ingels at the TCM Film Festival in 2014.  He was with his wife, Shirley Jones, who was there for the premiere screening of Oklahoma!  Unfortunately, he did not look well.  He passed away the following year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Last night I finished IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGUIM '69. The movie is just comedy fluff sort of in the same vein as Mad Mad World-kind of slapstick & silly with the thinnest of plot mostly held together by great performances of character actors/comedians. 

The story revolves around Suzanne Pleshette's European tour to mull over marriage, the only non comedic charactor being pursued by the playboy tour guide played by Ian McShane ( still actively working) I've always thought Pleshette was beautiful, but she's never looked as great as she does in this film-her various 60's hair-dos & costuming are just adorable, topping off with that smoky voice. 

I watched If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium earlier this summer and thought the same thing, that Suzanne Pleshette never looked more beautiful.  She and Ian McShane had great chemistry.  Their final scene in the airport was well-done, rather sad but realistic.  

IF ITS TUESDAY IT MUST BE BELGIUM (1969) IAN MCSHANE, SUZANNE PLESHETTE,  MEL STUART (DIR) ITTB 001 MOVIESTORE COLLECTION LTD Stock Photo - Alamy

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Citizen Ed said:

So instead of doing y'know, the actual work I'm getting paid to do, I watched a buncha classic old Doritos ads to satisfy my curiosity.

LOL 

58 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Peggy Cass was underutilized in film, as was Mildred Natwick.

I saw Marty Ingels at the TCM Film Festival in 2014. 

Neither the"like" or "sad" were appropriate your post covered a lot of ground.  Peggy Cass was cute, funny and had a really funny voice. And who doesn't like saying her funny name? Bette Midler has taken Cass' type.

I thought Marty was a cool guy, I love his kooky relationship with serene opposite Shirley Jones. So sad he's gone.

29 minutes ago, Peebs said:

thought the same thing, that Suzanne Pleshette never looked more beautiful.

 

There was no shortage of close ups with beautiful lighting on her in this movie.

The opening of the film (Tuesday/Belguim) made me LOL: a montage of vaccines, needles, people getting shots in their arms....for what? to travel overseas? Really?

I was so glad that was illustrated as being the norm for decades. Why are people freaking out NOW about having to get vaccines & show proof for travel? Aren't you GLAD there have always been restrictions to keep deadly viruses from spreading?

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

LOL 

Neither the"like" or "sad" were appropriate your post covered a lot of ground.  Peggy Cass was cute, funny and had a really funny voice. And who doesn't like saying her funny name? Bette Midler has taken Cass' type.

I thought Marty was a cool guy, I love his kooky relationship with serene opposite Shirley Jones. So sad he's gone.

The opening of the film (Tuesday/Belguim) made me LOL: a montage of vaccines, needles, people getting shots in their arms....for what? to travel overseas? Really?

I was so glad that was illustrated as being the norm for decades. Why are people freaking out NOW about having to get vaccines & show proof for travel? Aren't you GLAD there have always been restrictions to keep deadly viruses from spreading?

Never understood all the hoopla over "vaccine passports" as we've had them for decades.  These days, only yellow fever is a concern w.r.t. these documents:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Certificate_of_Vaccination_or_Prophylaxis

Smallpox was probably the chief concern for Europe back in the 60s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YOU SURE THIS ISN'T A PIC OF PAT AST?

Not gonna lie. I had to go look see who Pat Ast was. Don't worry, I'm not going to give a play by play of every pit stop  that Google trip took.

I will say, it looks like Marty and Pat at the very least shared the same hairdresser.

Marty_Allen_on_The_Hollyood_Squares.png

E1qj1vnWUAQsx7O.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

Not gonna lie. I had to go look see who Pat Ast was. Don't worry, I'm not going to give a play by play of every pit stop  that Google trip took.

I will say, it looks like Marty and Pat at the very least shared the same hairdresser.

Marty_Allen_on_The_Hollyood_Squares.png

E1qj1vnWUAQsx7O.jpg

What beautiful children they would’ve had together...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...