Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 hours ago, Citizen Ed said:

Suzanne Pleshette

Terrific performer.  That voice! 

Last night I looked at all of a LOUIS ARMSTRONG documentary on TCM that went off at about 3:30am.  I did not learn anything surprising, and much old interview footage... I really enjoyed it!   It was great to see DAVE BRUBECK and his wife. 

• Like 3

M. Night Shyamalan's "Old."
Save yourselves before it's too late, if anyone asks you to go see this in theaters, better check they are paying first before you're out $15.00. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Citizen Ed said:

Not gonna lie. I had to go look see who Pat Ast was. Don't worry, I'm not going to give a play by play of every pit stop  that Google trip took.

I will say, it looks like Marty and Pat at the very least shared the same hairdresser.

Marty_Allen_on_The_Hollyood_Squares.png

E1qj1vnWUAQsx7O.jpg

She was a Halston model - this photo looks like it's from a fashion show too.

Shawna Hamic played her in the recent Halston mini-series:

Netflix's 'Halston' Cast Compared To The Real Life People They Play | Marie  Claire Australia

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

As you'll catch me saying a lot around here...Why haven't I seen this one before? Or, better yet, I still have a lot of catching up to do.

Watched this one with my wife as it was a TCM Wine Club pairing. We both thoroughly enjoyed it...Was a blast. The interactions between Bobby and Klaatu were fun and memorable.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, NostalgicNautilus said:

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

As you'll catch me saying a lot around here...Why haven't I seen this one before? Or, better yet, I still have a lot of catching up to do.

Watched this one with my wife as it was a TCM Wine Club pairing. We both thoroughly enjoyed it...Was a blast. The interactions between Bobby and Klaatu were fun and memorable.

Latter on Bobby would change his name to Bud and tell his father;  actually dad,  Klaatu, knows best. 

• Like 1
On 8/5/2021 at 2:59 PM, Citizen Ed said:

Not gonna lie. I had to go look see who Pat Ast was. Don't worry, I'm not going to give a play by play of every pit stop  that Google trip took.

I will say, it looks like Marty and Pat at the very least shared the same hairdresser.

Marty_Allen_on_The_Hollyood_Squares.png

E1qj1vnWUAQsx7O.jpg

The amazing thing, I think, is that that was her real name. It seems too perfect not to be staged. I’ll never forget her from Heat. 

• Like 2

Watched Mulholland Falls again to see if it was as good as I remember. It was. What I had forgotten was how good Dave Grusin's score is. It's got this haunting, hook similar to Farewell My Lovely. or Chinatown. 

Then I watched A Man Called Adam with Sammy Davis Jr. I thought what the hell, and DVR'd it earlier and this turned out to be one of those TCM surprises.  

The opening credits animation is genius and would make Saul Bass proud. It was created by John & Faith Hubley who went on to do many shorts for Sesame Street. I can't find the opening anywhere, but it's worth finding the movie for the credits alone.

The movie is being labeled "Jazz Noir", ok why not. Plenty of jazz greats in the movie, the music is fantastic if you like brass. Mel Tormé plays himself and sings one. Louis Armstrong, Benny Carter, Nat Adderly (dubbing cornet for Sammy Davis Jr.), Vinny Golia, Paul Smoker, Adam Lane and Phil Haynes. Frank Sinatra Jr is in it too. Which is weird, but he doesn't ruin the movie although I kept waiting for him to.  Also in the movie Ossie Davis, Cicely Tyson, Lola Falana,  Peter Lawford, Ja'net Dubois and  Johnny Brown ( yep, Rerun from Good Times).

I was fairly smashed when I saw this and I plan on watching it again soon. If I don't edit, I didn't change my mind.

https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/82552/a-man-called-adam/#overview

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Watched Mulholland Falls ...I had forgotten was hoe good Dave Grusin's score is. It's got this haunting, hook similar to Farewell My Lovely. or Chinatown. 

I know this was a typo, but it has given me the most hilarious visual of the makers of “Mulholland falls” rolling up to Dave Grusin as he worked the corner of Santa Monica and Sweetzer Boulevards, rolling down the window, and holding out a $50 bill whilst asking “what will this get us?”

”incidentals and some mood music, but for $150, I can write an opening title score that’ll blow your mind baby.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/5/2021 at 3:18 PM, Allhallowsday said:

Terrific performer.  That voice! 

Last night I looked at all of a LOUIS ARMSTRONG documentary on TCM that went off at about 3:30am.  I did not learn anything surprising, and much old interview footage... I really enjoyed it!   It was great to see DAVE BRUBECK and his wife. 

I’m watching JAZZ ON A SUMMERS DAY (1960) and it is marvelous. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Then I watched A Man Called Adam with Sammy Davis Jr. I thought what the hell, and DVR'd it earlier and this turned out to be one of those TCM surprises.  

I love Sammy Davis Jr and wish there were more (better) movies with him in them. Was he in A MAN CALLED ADAM a lot? Acting? Was this a comedy, drama or just a "concert" type movie?

• Like 1

Last night I watched TOUCH OF CLASS '73 for George Segal's SUTS day.

A_Touch_of_Class_film_poster.jpg

This was a weird little comedy that I wanted to turn off once discovering it centered around adultery, not a funny subject to me. But the star performances of both principles absolutely sucked me in so I went with it.

The story has several twists & turns, but you basically know how it's going to go. Segal is his typical charming self but oh Glenda Jackson-WOW! She has the same sharp featured gamine quality of Marsha Mason with a British accent. You can't take your eyes off her, such a natural performance.

The biggest issue I had remaining on "comedic" level was the plot hole realization Jackson's 2 kids, dog, pets disappeared halfway through the movie. Unless I dozed off when their long absence was explained (it happens)

One of my biggest LOL howls came seeing supporting actor Paul Sorvino on vacation wearing seersucker shorts, black knee socks & white loafers- a wardrobe describing the charactor hilariously.

The movie had a satisfying ending, I'm glad I stuck with it. My Mother saw this movie on a date and when they returned the date kept saying how much my Mother (who was 43 at the time) resembled Glenda Jackson and I saw the similarities too. Jackson had retired from acting to serve in Parliament & she still looks great. Segal is a favorite in this household and it was great seeing him shine in a well written movie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I love Sammy Davis Jr and wish there were more (better) movies with him in them. Was he in A MAN CALLED ADAM a lot? Acting? Was this a comedy, drama or just a "concert" type movie?

He was the main character and did a remarkable job in my opinion.  Really showcased his dramatic abilities showing he wasn't just a comedic song and dance man. Just wish other filmmakers would have noticed that too.

It's a drama in the same vein as A Star is Born  and Lost Weekend sorta kinda but unique enough to merit it's own discussion.  

It's harsh at times, starkly so. And at times it's tender, sad, angry and sweetly humorous. It's just a damn good movie.

I watched this a while back when they showed it during their Cicely Tyson tribute. I wish I'd paid better attention to the schedule so I could have watched it again.

If you're a fan of Sammy Davis Jr, Cicely Tyson, jazz or have an interest in the evolution of black cinema I would highly recommend watching this.

• Like 3

This post isn't about something I watched, but something I'm listening to.  Sirius XM has a pop-up channel that is rebroadcasting Lucille Ball's radio interview show from the mid-60s.  I knew about this series, and had listened to a couple of episodes a few years ago.   Apparently they will be playing all 240 episodes.

Each episode is only 10 minutes long.  Ball interviews her guests, most of whom are on several consecutive episodes, in a conversational style.  Most guests are celebrities or connected with show business in some way, but occasionally there is a guest that is not connected with the business.  Most have some project, show or film to push, but not always.  Most of the interviews thus far deal more in their family life.

In just an hour, I learned a few things I had not known, such as Cesar Romero having the nickname "Butch" (revealed on her interview with Ann Sothern), and that Robert Culp wrote the first few episodes of I Spy, but stopped for lack of time after they started filming, and that Eve Arden was in the process of writing a book about her family life that never made it to print (portions may have appeared in her 80s autobiography, though).

It's a very casual show, most supposedly done from her house in Beverly Hills (occasionally I can hear ice clinking in glasses), and it's interesting to hear them talk about their then-current projects.

I only wish they'd run them in sequential order.  

• Like 4

BEQUEST TO THE NATION 1973 AKA THE NELSON AFFAIR Directed by James Cellan Jones .Produced by Hal Wallis released by Universal.Peter Finch Glenda Jackson Anthony Quayle Magaret Leighton. Another version -more accurate- of the Lord Nelson-Lady Hamilton affair A bit long at roughly  118 minutes,Beautiful cinematography and nice sets,Set few months before Trafalgar ,Acting is good but it is adapted from a play and it shows,quite talky until the last 35 minutes where there is action.Wallis has his name in bold on all posters and the director is in very very small print,Well Wallis must have lost a bundle with this one. Apparently there is no dvd or video release of this film. 6.5/10

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Was he in A MAN CALLED ADAM a lot

He's the lead as a jazz coronet player. Just finished watching it again. It's really good. Way cooler than anything I've ever seen from any of the other RatPack. 

The story line is a bit cliché, talented, troubled, self destructive artiste. Think The Doors movie but with more black folks, playing smaller clubs with horns, now sprinkle in a dash of 60s civil rights and you've pretty much got it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I know this was a typo, but it has given me the most hilarious visual of the makers of “Mulholland falls” rolling up to Dave Grusin as he worked the corner of Santa Monica and Sweetzer Boulevards, rolling down the window, and holding out a $50 bill whilst asking “what will this get us?”

”incidentals and some mood music, but for $150, I can write an opening title score that’ll blow your mind baby.”

I don't know what it is with Apple. It doesn't matter if it's the phone, iPad or MacBook, it's autocorrect/spell/fill thing is wrong more often than right.

But isn't that "ho" rather than hoe ?  

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

But isn't that "ho" rather than hoe ?  

No, it’s Hoe.

Fo sho.

i know. 

edit- I looked it up, apparently either is acceptable, but I think since the word that is being abridged has an "e" on the end, adding the "e" to the two letters to make it three seems more grammatically accurate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

on the topic of NEO-NOIR (and DePALMA)...

I made it all of about half an hour into THE BLACK DAHLIA his 2008 (?) JAMES ELLROY adaptation.

author's note: I am a dry, salty b1tch who cannot be pleased. I have impossibly high standards and, given some recent life events, an astoundingly short fuse and low tolerance for  anything that falls short of said standards. I can be harsh, but I like to think I temper the harshness with fairness.

so that said...

See the source image

RE: JOSH HARTNETT, leading man of THE BLACK DAHLIA.

SISTER MAY FRANCIS: JUST HOW IN THE HELL IS IT THAT A PERFORMANCE SO UTTERLY SUBPAR IN EVERY. SINGLE. WAY. IN EVERY. SINGLE. SCENE. IS ALLOWED TO BE GIVEN IN A $50 MILLION DOLLAR STUDIO FILM?

Scratch that, IN A FILM, PERIOD.

KEE-CRIPES: HAYDEN CHRISTIANSON WAS MORE OF A PIONEER THAN I REALIZED. MAN, AFTER HIM, THE GATES WERE JUST OPEN TO ANYBODY WHO WANTED TO STEP IN FRONT OF A CAMERA AND MUMBLE, HUH??????

Does DePALMA only work with his female actors? And by 'work with' I mean talk to, at ALL. Because- SEAN CONNERY aside- I have felt in watching his other films that the women's performances were tightly directed (sometimes to great success as with MELANIE GRIFFITH in BODY DOUBLE) , but the men's performances notsomuch (as with the male lead in BODY DOUBLE.)

There is SO MUCH VOICEOVER IN TH[e 30 minutes that I saw of] this FILM, LIKE 1/5 OF IT IS IN VOICEOVER AND IT'S ALL DONE BY HARTNETT IN HIS DEADLY DISHWATER DULL MONOTONE, AND IT'S LIKE THE "TIN MAN" KID FROM "A CHRISTMAS STORY" IS READING ALOUD FROM MICKEY SPILLANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He murdered one line of dialogue so brutally, so coldly, with such SNUFF MOVIE PRECISION that it should be included in the next FACES OF DEATH if they ever release one.

SCARLETT JOHANSONSSSON and AARON ECHKHART were also absolutely bad- so bad I deliberately mispell their names because THEY DON'T DESERVE IT. AND YET, I WILL TAKE THE TIME TO SAY THEY'RE AT LEAST NOWHERE NEAR AS UTTERLY DREADFUL AS HARTNETT.

UGH!

All apologies any of you JOSH HARTNETT/ BLACK DAHLIA fans but WOOF!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

on the topic of NEO-NOIR (and DePALMA)...

I made it all of about half an hour into THE BLACK DAHLIA his 2008 (?) JAMES ELLROY adaptation.

author's note: I am a dry, salty b1tch who cannot be pleased. I have impossibly high standards and, given some recent life events, an astoundingly short fuse and low tolerance for  anything that falls short of said standards. I can be harsh, but I like to think I temper the harshness with fairness.

so that said...

See the source image

RE: JOSH HARTNETT, leading man of THE BLACK DAHLIA.

SISTER MAY FRANCIS: JUST HOW IN THE HELL IS IT THAT A PERFORMANCE SO UTTERLY SUBPAR IN EVERY. SINGLE. WAY. IN EVERY. SINGLE. SCENE. IS ALLOWED TO BE GIVEN IN A $50 MILLION DOLLAR STUDIO FILM?

Scratch that, IN A FILM, PERIOD.

KEE-CRIPES: HAYDEN CHRISTIANSON WAS MORE OF A PIONEER THAN I REALIZED. MAN, AFTER HIM, THE GATES WERE JUST OPEN TO ANYBODY WHO WANTED TO STEP IN FRONT OF A CAMERA AND MUMBLE, HUH??????

Does DePALMA only work with his female actors? And by 'work with' I mean talk to, at ALL. Because- SEAN CONNERY aside- I have felt in watching his other films that the women's performances were tightly directed (sometimes to great success as with MELANIE GRIFFITH in BODY DOUBLE) , but the men's performances notsomuch (as with the male lead in BODY DOUBLE.)

There is SO MUCH VOICEOVER IN TH[e 30 minutes that I saw of] this FILM, LIKE 1/5 OF IT IS IN VOICEOVER AND IT'S ALL DONE BY HARTNETT IN HIS DEADLY DISHWATER DULL MONOTONE, AND IT'S LIKE THE "TIN MAN" KID FROM "A CHRISTMAS STORY" IS READING ALOUD FROM MICKEY SPILLANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He murdered one line of dialogue so brutally, so coldly, with such SNUFF MOVIE PRECISION that it should be included in the next FACES OF DEATH if they ever release one.

SCARLETT JOHANSONSSSON and AARON ECHKHART were also absolutely bad- so bad I deliberately mispell their names because THEY DON'T DESERVE IT. AND YET, I WILL TAKE THE TIME TO SAY THEY'RE AT LEAST NOWHERE NEAR AS UTTERLY DREADFUL AS HARTNETT.

UGH!

Yes but other than that how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?

• Haha 3
35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No, it’s Hoe.

I defer to the experts. Although they appear split on this. . . .

In Hollywood Shuffle the proprietor of Winky Dinky Dog proposes a new item for the menu, Winky Dinky Ho Cake! Why? Because as he eloquently points out, "Hoes gotta eat too." Now I can only surmise that in the plural the e is added to be grammatically correct. 

Imagine my surprise when reading Gone With the Wind that during a day of celebration the "dark-ies" were cooking hoecakes ! I hadn't heard of such a thing since watching Hollywood Shuffle decades earlier. Turns out, this type hoecake is not to be confused with Winky Dinky Ho Cake, which is a target marketed effort. No. Hoecake describes a process rather than the profession of the consumer.  Hoecake is a biscuit that is cooked by placing a ball of dough (not doe) on the blade of a hoe, then placed near an open fire. My mouth is watering as I type.. . *cough*. . . . 

. . . . what were we talking about ?

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No, it’s Hoe.

Fo sho.

i know. 

edit- I looked it up, apparently either is acceptable, but I think since the word that is being abridged has an "e" on the end, adding the "e" to the two letters to make it three seems more grammatically accurate.

God I love this place! We analyze old cartoons like they were the Zapruder film, discuss the etymology of slang terminology and debate suicide vs homicide theories!

Best message board ever! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

I defer to the experts. Although they appear split on this. . . .

In Hollywood Shuffle the proprietor of Winky Dinky Dog proposes a new item for the menu, Winky Dinky Ho Cake! Why? Because as he eloquently points out, "Hoes gotta eat too." Now I can only surmise that in the plural the e is added to be grammatically correct. 

Imagine my surprise when reading Gone With the Wind that during a day of celebration the "dark-ies" were cooking hoecakes ! I hadn't heard of such a thing since watching Hollywood Shuffle decades earlier. Turns out, this type hoecake is not to be confused with Winky Dinky Ho Cake, which is a target marketed effort. No. Hoecake describes a process rather than the profession of the consumer.  Hoecake is a biscuit that is cooked by placing a ball of dough (not doe) on the blade of a hoe, then placed near an open fire. My mouth is watering as I type.. . *cough*. . . . 

. . . . what were we talking about ?

You know, I just looked up the old VELVET JONES skit EDDIE MURPHY did on SNL and there is no E on the end of the term in the title  of his guide book “SO YOU WANT TO BE A HO?”

And while I want to defer to Sir Jones, I just still REALLY feel like there ought to be an “E” on the end. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

UGH!

I had to shut the movie off; I was so disinterested 😕

• Thanks 1

On a LONG OVERDUE MORE POSITIVE NOTE, I really enjoyed the Hell out of JAZZ ON A SUMMER'S DAY (1960)- which TCM showed as part of LOUIS ARMSTRONG'S SUTS DAY.

This filmed record of the NEWPORT JAZZ FESTIVAL is not just for fans of JAZZ, but fans of TIME CAPSULES, moving images, film in general, editing, sailing, Rhode Island, late fifties FASHION, and just all-round compelling visuals (just absolutely gorgeous shots of WATER RIPPLES and SAILBOATS.)

See the source image

(IT ALSO INCLUDES EARLY FOOTAGE OF WHITE PEOPLE ATTEMPTING RHYTHM. THANK GOD THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS PRESERVED IT!)

I apologize if some of the following pics are A LITTLE LARGE and that I am omitting some of the performers and acts:

ANITA O'DAY (who I love) has a strange set, where she plays a downbeat sort of beatnik rendition of SWEET GEORGIA BROWN while dressed as HOLLY GOLIGHTLY. It's not the best example of her work, but still nice to see her:

See the source image

DINAH WASHINGTON shows up in VOLUMONOUS PINK and STAKES HER  CLAIM ON THE SONG "ALL OF ME"- DARING ANYONE PAST OR PRESENT TO TRY TOPPING IT (and they never have.)

See the source image

THELONIOUS MONK does his "Cat Running Across the Piano Keys" thing, but the accompaniment is good.

it's MAGIC when LOUIS ARMSTRONG hits the stage- the camera even captures a child's giddy reaction to his his face and voice AND IT MELTED EVEN MY COLD, BLACK HEART. He and JACK TEAGARDEN perform OLE ROCKIN CHAIR and for the first time in my life, I really understood that song.

See the source image

and then, at the end of the night, MAHALIA JACKSON, who was admittedly not a Jazz singer but it does not matter one bit, because she is THE HIGH POINT OF THE FILM AND SHE BURNS THAT STAGE TO THE GROUND.

THE LORD HIMSELF would not want to be THE FOLLOW-UP ACT to MAHALIA JACKSON. See the source image