Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This morning, among many things, watched an interview with George Clooney.  I don't care for his wife, especially since she has been an enemy of Israel plus she always looks snooty.  She was a pampered girl who can't learn how to boil an egg.  Also, he does 15 loads of laundry a day (I find that hard to believe).  Also, one comment he made about playing villains struck me re: his remake of Ocean's 11.  In the original (Sammy Davis steals the movie - and there is a really funny line about the robbers using grease or some form of blackface), the reason they do the robbery is for their pal Richard Conte.  The ending is also much better.  Ergo, Danny Ocean isn't really a bad guy (even in the remake - Andy Garcia is).

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

This morning, among many things, watched an interview with George Clooney.  I don't care for his wife, especially since she has been an enemy of Israel plus she always looks snooty.  She was a pampered girl who can't learn how to boil an egg.  

The daughter of a friend of mine in London worked for Amal Clooney.  My friend's daughter -- Oxford educated with a few degrees -- quit after a couple of years. She found working for Amal impossible, said she was incompetent and helpless.  

• Haha 2

Young and Willing 1943   Directed by Edward H Griffith William Holden Susan Hayward-in early leading roles.83minutes A Paramount production one of the Paramount productions that was sold to United Artists in the early-40's when U.A. was having trouble meeting their exhibitor contracts because of lack of product, mainly due to their loss of production in England. Screwball comedy  has its moments but is forgettable Florence MacMichael has a support role-she had a talent for voices but she is irritating -she talks like a chipmunk (for real) and her part is quite important... 6/10 Good tv print by Motion Pictures on TV Cie,sold to tv.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, nakano said:

Young and Willing 1943   Directed by Edward H Griffith William Holden Susan Hayward-in early leading roles.83minutes A Paramount production one of the Paramount productions that was sold to United Artists in the early-40's when U.A. was having trouble meeting their exhibitor contracts because of lack of product, mainly due to their loss of production in England. Screwball comedy  has its moments but is forgettable Florence MacMichael has a support role-she had a talent for voices but she is irritating -she talks like a chipmunk (for real) and her part is quite important... 6/10 Good tv print by Motion Pictures on TV Cie,sold to tv.

holden.jpg

It is odd that the actress with Holden is Martha O'Driscoll and not Hayward.    Here is a photo of O'Driscoll. 

Maybe this poster was redone as part of the re-release of this film after both actors made-it-big.    

Martha O'Driscoll - IMDb

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

She was a pampered girl who can't learn how to boil an egg.

Confession: I have never learned to hard boil eggs properly. My Mom re-gifted me one of those "automatic egg cookers" as a joke, but I absolutely use it. I have an IQ over 135.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

fyi to you DARK SHADOWS FANS OUT THERE (i know there are many)

I have been watching the documentary MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS about DAN CURTIS and it is really fascinating.

Master of Dark Shadows (2019) - IMDb

made in 2019, it contains interviews with living cast members and some great behind the scenes footage- it also takes you through the writing/rehearsal/filming process of an episode that will make you respect the hell out of the bygone glory of DAYTIME TELEVISION. 

It, along with A LOT OF OTHER GREAT DOCUMENTARIES about horror, mondo movies and the occult are all on TUBI TV at the moment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have been watching the documentary MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS about DAN CURTIS and it is really fascinating.

made in 2019, it contains interviews with living cast members and some great behind the scenes footage- it also takes you through the writing/rehearsal/filming process of an episode that will make you respect the hell out of the bygone glory of DAYTIME TELEVISION. 

It, along with A LOT OF OTHER GREAT DOCUMENTARIES about horror, mondo movies and the occult are all on TUBI TV at the moment.

You are my hero! I've never seen this before. Thank you!!!

• Like 3

SEVEN ANGRY MEN 1955 directed by Charles Marquis Warren released by Allied Artists (formerly Monogram) Raymond Masset Debra Pager Jeffrey Hunter,Good historical drama on the life of John Brown and his many sons.Paget and Hunter were borrowed from Fox. Massey also played John Brown in the 1941 Warner Bros. picture Santa Fe Trail  it would make a good double bill. Good film 7/10

• Like 1
23 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

This morning, among many things, watched an interview with George Clooney.  I don't care for his wife, especially since she has been an enemy of Israel plus she always looks snooty.  She was a pampered girl who can't learn how to boil an egg.  Also, he does 15 loads of laundry a day (I find that hard to believe).  Also, one comment he made about playing villains struck me re: his remake of Ocean's 11.  In the original (Sammy Davis steals the movie - and there is a really funny line about the robbers using grease or some form of blackface), the reason they do the robbery is for their pal Richard Conte.  The ending is also much better.  Ergo, Danny Ocean isn't really a bad guy (even in the remake - Andy Garcia is).

I don't think they did it for Conte did they?  Nobody on the crew knew he had terminal cancer. 

I always felt like Danny wasn't concerned about the money but did it more for the thrill of  pulling off another operation after the excitement of WWII.

It had something to do with Conte knowing he was dying and wanting to give his share to his son.  The mishap occurs with the wife's decision to have Conte's body cremated.  I haven't seen the movie in a while, but Joey Bishop approaches Ocean.  While there were no sequels, the Rat Pack appeared in Robin and the 7 Hoods.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

It had something to do with Conte knowing he was dying and wanting to give his share to his son.  The mishap occurs with the wife's decision to have Conte's body cremated.  I haven't seen the movie in a while, but Joey Bishop approaches Ocean.  While there were no sequels, the Rat Pack appeared in Robin and the 7 Hoods.

Okay. I don't remember that. I'll have to give it a watch again.

The Rat Pack also did a western version of Gunga Din called Sergeants 3.  Frank and Dean did a movie named Four for Texas that was supposed to be a Rat Pack movie too but when Peter Lawford fell from Sinatra's graces, Frank had his part removed from the script.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Interesting retrospective. A wonderful salute to Dan Curtis. At first I thought it was going to be the same old documentary with the same old photos and interviews and blah, blah, blah. But it's not. There were several interviews with the actors that I'd never seen before and I am still amazed at how beautiful the women are at their ages. But anyway, I enjoyed it very much. Plenty of new stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oh-what-a-lovely-war-1969-directed-by-ri

Oh! What a Lovely War. 1969. Directed by Richard Attenborough.

WWI as an amusement park, and army officers sell the entrance tickets. Excellent movie about the initial frivolity and optimism and finally the disillusionment and tragedy of war. It has plenty of songs that serve as satirical comments on historical facts and people. The cast includes brief appearances by Dirk Bogarde, Maggie Smith, Laurence Olivier, John Gielgud, Vanessa Redgrave, Ralph Richardson, and many others. Jean-Pierre Cassel has a wonderful cameo singing and dancing on a carousel about the invasion of Belgium, and John Mills is excellent as General Haig, who tallies casualties as if he was balancing a budget.

lovelywar_1.png?w=739

• Like 4

My House Is Full of Mirrors (2010)

Sophia Loren portraying her mother in her sister's autobiography.

This is a beautiful three-and-a-half hour television movie production which traces the mother's relationship with the father of Sophia and her sister Maria, how she raised the girls and how they grew into their own. 

This movie is broken into two parts. I am very sorry to say that I bailed approx. one-quarter into the first half and again approx. half into the second half. The movie was quite obviously well-written and the portrayals were all that a viewer could wish and the production values were quite high for a television movie. I must admit that the fault is solely mine. I do not have a great problem with movies which are pure sentimentality and I do not have a problem with reading subtitles in foreign-language movies but the combination proved overpowering.  I know only a little ristorante Italiano and that is so poor that there have been times when I was not quite sure what I was eating so there was no hope for me to follow the dialogue at all. There were many places where the simple subtitles did not carry any of the passion of the spoken dialogue and so I felt deeply that I was not truly experiencing the movie as it was meant to be watched.

8/10 for the portions I watched.

The only streaming service which I know is presently carrying it is: MHz.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SansFin said:

My House Is Full of Mirrors (2010)

Sophia Loren portraying her mother in her sister's autobiography.

This is a beautiful three-and-a-half hour television movie production which traces the mother's relationship with the father of Sophia and her sister Maria, how she raised the girls and how they grew into their own. 

This movie is broken into two parts. I am very sorry to say that I bailed approx. one-quarter into the first half and again approx. half into the second half. The movie was quite obviously well-written and the portrayals were all that a viewer could wish and the production values were quite high for a television movie. I must admit that the fault is solely mine. I do not have a great problem with movies which are pure sentimentality and I do not have a problem with reading subtitles in foreign-language movies but the combination proved overpowering.  I know only a little ristorante Italiano and that is so poor that there have been times when I was not quite sure what I was eating so there was no hope for me to follow the dialogue at all. There were many places where the simple subtitles did not carry any of the passion of the spoken dialogue and so I felt deeply that I was not truly experiencing the movie as it was meant to be watched.

8/10 for the portions I watched.

The only streaming service which I know is presently carrying it is: MHz.

Just curious, and this is not a criticism, but was it not possible to sort of fill in the blanks? Watching opera can be that way too. The singers are tearing a passion to tatters all over the place while at the same time we get these skimpy titles. But it may be different with opera, the fantastic music and singing can make one not care so much.

I was watching some miniseries on Netflix streaming and after awhile I noticed that the story was dubbed. A similar sensation ensued. Although the voice overs seemed to reflect accurately the countenance and demeanor of the actors, the voices themselves seemed disembodied from the actors (which is probably pretty common with dubbing). I, too, felt that I was not experiencing the film as it should be experienced.

Depending on the movie, etc., I am guessing that I would rather put up with original language and weak subtitles, than dubbed language and disembodied actors. I say this provisionally as I do not know My House is Full of Mirrors and I could very well have the same impression as you.

Just thoughts.

so, at the risk of turning this into a DARK SHADOWS FAN THREAD (because I know there are many of you), I finished the 2019 documentary MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS: THE LIFE OF DAN CURTIS, which is free on TUBI.

The general concensus of, oh EVERYONE THEY TALK TO, seems to put forth that CURTIS was a HIGHLY LOVABLE, EXTREMELY ENDEARING A-HOLE, a brash, impatient, temperamental, extremely supportive and admirably resilent l creative force.

you can feel the love for him even as the various writers and actors go on about what a harda$$ he could be. 

it also has A LOT of great footage- I really enjoyed the 35 mm footage of DARK SHADOWS GROUPIES hanging out in front of the ABC STudios in NYC and asking the actors for autographs, my favorite moment in the whole documentary was when JOAN BENNETT gets out of a cab wearing a PUCCI SCARF and looking like A GOD D*MN MOVIE STAR!!!!!!!!!!!

They get really deep into the appeal of the show and interview quite a few (all?) of the surviving actors of the original series and BARBARA STEELE and BEN CROSS from the 1990 PRIME TIME REVIVAL on NBC (which is how I was introduced to the whole show)

it also has a brief shot of the deleted scene of DAVID'S faked suicide by hanging in a closet in the film HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, seeing it, I must say THEY WERE EXTREMELY WISE TO CUT IT, because I BET ANYTHING a few kids would've died emulating it.

i wish they had not discussed the unfortunate TIM BURTON fiasco, which was SUCH an insult to the fans and actors of the show, but it's only dealt with for a couple of minutes. (seriously, **** that movie and **** everyone involved in its making not named MICHELLE PFEIFFER.) 

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 8/9/2021 at 5:04 AM, TikiSoo said:

Confession: I have never learned to hard boil eggs properly.

It's trickier than it sounds. Especially if you like a soft boiled egg. Just make sure to add salt. Kosher is always the best. Otherwise peeling the suckers is a PITA.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, laffite said:

Just curious, and this is not a criticism, but was it not possible to sort of fill in the blanks? Watching opera can be that way too. The singers are tearing a passion to tatters all over the place while at the same time we get these skimpy titles. But it may be different with opera, the fantastic music and singing can make one not care so much.

I was watching some miniseries on Netflix streaming and after awhile I noticed that the story was dubbed. A similar sensation ensued. Although the voice overs seemed to reflect accurately the countenance and demeanor of the actors, the voices themselves seemed disembodied from the actors (which is probably pretty common with dubbing). I, too, felt that I was not experiencing the film as it should be experienced.

Depending on the movie, etc., I am guessing that I would rather put up with original language and weak subtitles, than dubbed language and disembodied actors. I say this provisionally as I do not know My House is Full of Mirrors and I could very well have the same impression as you.

Just thoughts.

It may be that the best explanation which I can give is that we have a movie on DVD that is in German with English subtitles and Closed Captioning in English. There is a point when a character says the same-in-any-language F-word with exceptional vigor. The subtitle shows it as 'damn' and the CC states 'drat'. I find that quite humorous but it demonstrates how passion can be lost in translation.

There were an increasing number of moments in the parts of this movie where I felt I was not fully understanding the scene because the words in the subtitle could not convey the  portrayed passion in any language which I know.

• Like 1
On 8/9/2021 at 7:04 AM, TikiSoo said:

Confession: I have never learned to hard boil eggs properly. My Mom re-gifted me one of those "automatic egg cookers" as a joke, but I absolutely use it. I have an IQ over 135.

I am reminded of the bride who felt she was a failure because she could not make soft-boiled eggs which her new husband liked so much with breakfast. She was quite distraught because they would not become soft even when she boiled them for hours!

This reminds me that it is near the time to make a batch of Tea Eggs. You place a dozen eggs in boiling water for ten minutes. Drain and plunge into cold water. You then gently crack the shells all over with the back of a spoon - Do Not Remove Shells! You then place the eggs in a pot, cover with cold water and add salt, light and black soy sauce, ginger, star anise and tea. Bring the water to a small simmer and simmer for three or fours hours. The seasoning penetrates the cracks in the shells. 

There are many recipes for these on-line because they are quite popular food. Some recipes call for cloves, cinnamon and/or other things. I do not use a recipe but simply add as the mood strikes me. I usually make a batch of two or three dozen.

The danger of these is that refrigerator gremlins make them disappear quite quickly and seeing the bowl of them being emptied causes nearly as much distress as eating a dozen pickled eggs at one sitting.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, SansFin said:

The danger of these is that refrigerator gremlins make them disappear quite quickly...

Uh huh. Or is it Cool Hand Fin causing the disappearance.

35 minutes ago, SansFin said:

because she could not make soft-boiled eggs

Even I can be successful with hard-boiled eggs but i have never even tried a soft-boiled egg, but I doubt I could do it. If you take a soft-boiled egg, broke the shell, what would it look like? A soft sunny side up looking thing? Is a soft-boiled egg tantamount to a "rare" egg. I see people in movies soft-boil an egg and then put it in one of those egg holders, tap the egg with fork and eat it. Fascinating! The cooking must be exact. And speaking of Tea Eggs. Heavens, that is nothing less than virtuosity cooking. Amazing. I've never held a violin in my hand, yet I could probably play a violin concerto better than make a tea egg.

3 hours ago, laffite said:

Even I can be successful with hard-boiled eggs but i have never even tried a soft-boiled egg, but I doubt I could do it. If you take a soft-boiled egg, broke the shell, what would it look like? A soft sunny side up looking thing? Is a soft-boiled egg tantamount to a "rare" egg. I see people in movies soft-boil an egg and then put it in one of those egg holders, tap the egg with fork and eat it. Fascinating! The cooking must be exact. And speaking of Tea Eggs. Heavens, that is nothing less than virtuosity cooking. Amazing. I've never held a violin in my hand, yet I could probably play a violin concerto better than make a tea egg.

Don't know if you're joking but a  soft-boiled egg is just a lightly cooked hard-boiled-egg:  i.e.  the yoke is just "soft"  (and while the white part must still be cooked it shouldn't be too "solid" or rubbery).      The major different is in the cooking time;  to ensure soft-boiled timing is essential.    E.g.  one puts the eggs into already boiling water (similar concept to pre-heating an oven).     Boil for 4 - 7 minutes (depending on how "soft" one wants the yoke).   Remove and put into an ice-bath for a few minutes (this stops the cooking and makes it a lot easier to remove the shell).      

• Like 3
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i wish they had not discussed the unfortunate TIM BURTON fiasco, which was SUCH an insult to the fans and actors of the show, but it's only dealt with for a couple of minutes. (seriously, **** that movie and **** everyone involved in its making not named MICHELLE PFEIFFER.) 

Theory has it that this was that stop-motion Addams Family remake that Tim was obsessed with doing for the same (ahem 🙄 ) reasons a Broadway show already was, which tied up the rights.  So, since there was already a Dark Shadows reboot being pitched his way, he made that goofy, and made the Collinses do Addams' "My Family" pose on the poster.

Unfortunately, by the time the rights cleared up, Tim's Addams project had lapsed into that MGM CGI movie, so Tim had to turn another spooky-girl's-school-spoof series into "Wednesday: the Series" for Netflix.  (Because, let's face it, most hipster post-movie Addams fans, heterosexual or not, pretty much ignore the other characters.)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, laffite said:

I see people in movies soft-boil an egg and then put it in one of those egg holders, tap the egg with fork and eat it.

That's the British who tend to be more patient  and dainty with their meals than Americans.  Cook your soft-boiled egg the way James just said to do it.  Have your slice of toast buttered and lying face up on your plate.  Hold your nicely cooked egg  by it's two ends with your left finger and thumb.  Give it a good whack with your butter knife! Use your spoon to scoop out the two halves onto the toast.  Spread it out a little, salt it and eat it with a knife and fork.  One of the best flavors ever is hot salted runny yellow egg on toast.

• Like 3