Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BTW, I’ve heard you can actually make an excellent soft boiled egg in the dishwasher.

You are kidding?

17 hours ago, laffite said:

I should add hastily lest I be considered the village idiot that I knew that, but there is something inherently indistinct about a soft boiled egg. And the very idea of a runny egg makes me queasy. It's good thing I don't care for "soft" eggs because cooking them seems rather exact. And I love to complicate things, or at least seem to do it a lot. It just seems easier to scramble the egg and stop the cooking when you want. At least one can SEE the egg during the process.

I like soft boiled, but I generally forget about the eggs and how long they've been boiling, so they end up hard boiled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, NostalgicNautilus said:

I've come close to starting this series...but it's such a commitment. Worth it?

As for what I've just watched...National Velvet. Really enjoyed young Taylor and Mickey Rooney.

It's VERY slow, but I think it's worth it. There's the camp factor too. At least the first couple of seasons (through Quentin).

• Like 2
17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm sorry, but I just found this and it is TOO FUNNY NOT TO SHARE.

THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO IS TITLED:

"GRAYSON HALL DELIVERS YOUR EVERY QUARANTINE MOOD"

LMREO! Thanks for that. She screamed up a storm on that show! :D

• Like 2

Being of school age during the Dark Shadows initial run, I still can hear a girl in English class recite her original poem:

"Every day I rush off the bus

To watch Josette and Barnabas....."

Well, she tried.  Wish I could remember the rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to I JUST WATCHED.

Did anyone catch Fun With Dick and Jane last night? What a LAME movie. I saw this film when it came out and  remember enjoying it, but either my taste has changed or the film hasn't aged well. Very unfunny comedy. I laughed maybe twice. A good idea, but a mediocre script. Came off as no better than a made for tv movie (with stars) This was sort of Jane's comeback movie after being grey listed so I guess she couldnt be choosy. Unlikeable characters and mostly a series of black out skits in search of a plot. And it was a HIT and REMADE!

C- (I did laugh a few times)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Roy Cronin said:

Being of school age during the Dark Shadows initial run, I still can hear a girl in English class recite her original poem:

"Every day I rush off the bus

To watch Josette and Barnabas....."

Well, she tried.  Wish I could remember the rest.

LOL!!! I did that too! I often missed the first half which irritated me so! 

31 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Back to I JUST WATCHED.

Did anyone catch Fun With Dick and Jane last night? What a LAME movie. I saw this film when it came out and  remember enjoying it, but either my taste has changed or the film hasn't aged well. Very unfunny comedy. I laughed maybe twice. A good idea, but a mediocre script. Came off as no better than a made for tv movie (with stars) This was sort of Jane's comeback movie after being grey listed so I guess she couldnt be choosy. Unlikeable characters and mostly a series of black out skits in search of a plot. And it was a HIT and REMADE!

C- (I did laugh few times)

I remember when I first saw it, back in the 1970s and it is was an in flight movie, back when planes showed only one movie and you needed the head phones they gave out. I didn't see it last night but I remember it was an OK time waster. 

Jane Fonda did another "come back" movie in 2006 which was her first in 15 years, Monster-In-Law, which was much worse than Dick and Jane.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LMREO! Thanks for that. She screamed up a storm on that show! :D

SHE DID!

Between that and the amount of cigarettes I imagine she smoked, it's amazing she didn't sound like LOUIS ARMSTRONG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

You are kidding?

(IN RE: BOILING AN EGG IN THE DISHWASHER)

NO I'M BEING TOTALLY SERIOUS!!!!!

HONESTLY!

(I shared a video with LAFFITTE, but here is another one about POACHING them in the dishwasher!)

15 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

Well, at least she got an Oscar nod for The Night of the Iguana!

and a very well-deserved one at that too! I can STILL hear her screaming "SHANNON!!!!"

She started on DARK SHADOWS maybe 2 or three years after getting the Oscar Nomination, but if it bothered her or she felt like DAYTIME TELEVISION was a step down, I don't see it in her performance.

while those clips are very funny, she's a strong presence on the show and does some really good, intense work.

She also managed to get her husband SAM HALL a job as a writer on the show.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I've been catching some episodes on Decades.  They are in the first big time trip, I guess 1797?

Poor Joan Bennett yells "Oh Joshua (brief pause) Oh Jeremiah!"

I dunno if you got one of them FANCY SCHMANCY "DIGITAL TVS" but if you do , you can download the channel TUBI TV, which is completely free (there are ads, but they are nowhere NEAR as invasive as they are on some other streaming networks.)

TUBI is HORROR DOC  CENTRAL, they have a TROVE.

They are also DARK SHADOWS CENTRAL, they not only have the DAN CURTIS DOCUMENTARY but also EVERY EPISODE OF DARK SHADOWS (with the exception of one that was lost.)

Also, they have the compilations THE HAUNTING OF COLINWOOD and THE CURSE OF THE VAMPIRE, which are 3 hour "movies" comprised of edited scenes from the show.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I remember when I first saw it, back in the 1970s and it is was an in flight movie, back when planes showed only one movie and you needed the head phones they gave out. I didn't see it last night but I remember it was an OK time waster. 

Jane Fonda did another "come back" movie in 2006 which was her first in 15 years, Monster-In-Law, which was much worse than Dick and Jane.

I thought the opposite, Monster-In-Law was better, though both beneath her talents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I've been catching some episodes on Decades.  They are in the first big time trip, I guess 1797?

Poor Joan Bennett yells "Oh Joshua (brief pause) Oh Jeremiah!"

LOL! Yeah, they didn't reshoot if an actor flubbed their lines! I lost the Decades channel, but they never went beyond that time travel arc and started again from when Barnabas first appeared. Like they only bought so many episodes they could run. When ever the series pops up on tv, they never show the first 6 months before Barnabas makes his appearance.

12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(IN RE: BOILING AN EGG IN THE DISHWASHER)

NO I'M BEING TOTALLY SERIOUS!!!!!

HONESTLY!

(I shared a video with LAFFITTE, but here is another one about POACHING them in the dishwasher!)

WOW. You learn something every day! Only problem, I don't have a dishwasher! :(

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

and a very well-deserved one at that too! I can STILL hear her screaming "SHANNON!!!!"

She started on DARK SHADOWS maybe 2 or three years after getting the Oscar Nomination, but if it bothered her or she felt like DAYTIME TELEVISION was a step down, I don't see it in her performance.

while those clips are very funny, she's a strong presence on the show and does some really good, intense work.

She also managed to get her husband SAM HALL a job as a writer on the show.

She did  lot of screaming in that film too! LOL. I'd forgotten about her hubby connection on Dark Shadows.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Back to I JUST WATCHED.

C- (I did laugh few times)

I recorded it. I knew it was remade awhile back. If it’s lame, good thing I didn’t spend money on it. 

53 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SHE DID!

Between that and the amount of cigarettes I imagine she smoked, it's amazing she didn't sound like LOUIS ARMSTRONG.

Lorna, thanks for posting that video of Grayson Hall screaming. So wonderful. Though I might not have struggled too much if Joel Crothers had his arms around me.

37 minutes ago, Hibi said:

She did  lot of screaming in that film too! LOL. I'd forgotten about her hubby connection on Dark Shadows.

Sam Hall and Gordon Russell were the main writers for Dark Shadows and later were headwriters for One Life to Live. They usually had some good stories going.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(it actually gets pretty hot in a dishwasher between the hot water cycle and the heat drying functions)

probably not a good idea to try them in the washing machine though.....

There’s a Johnny Carson segment where Vincent Price cooks an entire dinner (fish and veggies) in the dishwasher. He wraps everything in foil so the dishwasher steams the food. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I recorded it. I knew it was remade awhile back. If it’s lame, good thing I didn’t spend money on it. 

Yeah, nothing I would buy.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Back to I JUST WATCHED.

C- (I did laugh a few times)

My reaction was pretty much the same. There were a few funny moments, the overall idea was good, and the title was a winner. I also enjoyed the 1970s time capsule element, like Jane Fonda's various hairstyles, and the suits and ties, like the ones worn by George Segal and by Allan Miller as the obnoxious loan officer. BTW, Allan Miller was Barbra Streisand's acting coach back in her early days.

George Segal seems to work well with all of his co-stars, from Jane Fonda to James Fox to Barbra Streisand. His relaxed, easy charm is the best thing about Fun With Dick and Jane.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, King Rat said:

My reaction was pretty much the same. There were a few funny moments, the overall idea was good, and the title was a winner. I also enjoyed the 1970s time capsule element, like Jane Fonda's various hairstyles, and the suits and ties, like the ones worn by George Segal and by Allan Miller as the obnoxious loan officer. BTW, Allan Miller was Barbra Streisand's acting coach back in her early days.

George Segal seems to work well with all of his co-stars, from Jane Fonda to James Fox to Barbra Streisand. His relaxed, easy charm is the best thing about Fun With Dick and Jane.

Yes, he seems to work well with all his co-stars. They both try to put this over, but the script just isn't good enough.