Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

23 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

They are! I am sorry to have to admit that that is an image on a website and is not ones which I made. Mine tend to look more like stained-glass windows assembled  by drunks on a Monday morning using instructions provided by Ikea. It is quite fortunate that appearance does not reflect taste. 

• Like 2

Just watched The Proud Ones (1956),   a Fox western with a fine cast of  Robert Ryan,  Jeffery Hunter, Robert Middleton, Walter Brennan and as the love interest for Ryan,   Virginia Mayo.     I was most impressed with Jeffery Hunter.   (of course Ryan gave his usual solid performance).

Typical western boomtown story with Ryan as the Marshall and Middleton as a corrupt saloon owner (are there any other kind other than Kitty).   Still it was well directed by Robert Webb with the story moving along to the final shootout. 

The Proud Ones - Great Western MoviesThe Proud Ones (1956) - Once Upon a Time in a Western

• Like 2
On 8/10/2021 at 5:35 PM, laffite said:

Not being absolutely fluent in any language is a breeding ground for inevitable error. In other words, que sais-je? 

If my high school French is correct, « Tu ne sais rien »?  :P

48 minutes ago, Fedya said:

If my high school French is correct, « Tu ne sais rien »? 

Que sais-je translates to "What do I know?" and is often used in a sense similar to "Who knows?"

But if I were to say "Je ne sais rien, " I would be saying "I don't know anything."

They seem the same but the usages are (can be) different.  Like English.

52 minutes ago, Fedya said:

And call it To Serve Man.

do-do-do-do-do

... do-do-do-do-do

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

I've never really understood the appeal of George Segal.  (Apart from being the only one on The Goldbergs who understood the old-school concept of humor.)

His slick style seemed more like a late-60's/early-70's relic of Neil Simon-era comedy, and by the time he did the torturous Carbon Copy in 1981, his character looked like nothing that belonged to the human species.  In a 70's comedy like Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?, though, he's in his element.

I never really thought one thing or the other about George Segal.  He was good in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?  I however, found myself recording quite a few of his films yesterday: The Owl & the Pussycat, Fun with Dick and Jane, and California Split--all films I've been interested in, but haven't seen.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I never really thought one thing or the other about George Segal.  He was good in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?  I however, found myself recording quite a few of his films yesterday: The Owl & the Pussycat, Fun with Dick and Jane, and California Split--all films I've been interested in, but haven't seen.

I wish there would be a digital release of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT that includes the part where Barbra Streisand's character Doris tells the men in  the car who've been catcalling  her to "F*** off."  On the DVD release and in the digital version that's shown on TCM that part (about 10 seconds) is missing.  The scene cuts from Doris walking toward the car  (after she's told George Segal's character Felix to excuse her for a moment) to her walking away from the car to re-join Felix.   Thus, there is no context for the men in the car to start chasing Doris and Felix.

My mother has a VHS copy of the movie that does have that moment, but it's full frame pan-and-scan!

I think this was the first time   a major female Hollywood star dropped an f-bomb in a movie so those 10 seconds are historically significant.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I wish there would be a digital release of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT that includes the part where Barbra Streisand's character Doris tells the men in  the car who've been catcalling  her to "F*** off."  On the DVD release and in the digital version that's shown on TCM that part (about 10 seconds) is missing.  The scene cuts from Doris walking toward the car  (after she's told George Segal's character Felix to excuse her for a moment) to her walking away from the car to re-join Felix.   Thus, there is no context for the men in the car to start chasing Doris and Felix.

My mother has a VHS copy of the movie that does have that moment, but it's full frame pan-and-scan!

I think this was the first time   a major female Hollywood star dropped an f-bomb in a movie so those 10 seconds are historically significant.

There was an official re-release of the film in 1972 that was cut down to get a GP (now PG) rating.  That's probably the version that TCM and the DVD used, as the F word would not have been allowed in a GP movie back then.

There was another cut made before the R rated version was released.  Streisand famously filmed a topless scene, but she stipulated the unilateral right to cut it if she thought it didn't work, which she did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You seen surprised, Holden, that an aging VHS tape would be pan-and-scan.  I noted the exclamation point [!].   That was standard operating procedure for the vast majority of VHS releases from 1977-2006.  Only a small percentage of VHS releases of movies over the course of the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s were issued in their proper theatrical ratios.  

In the 1980s it was a miniscule number of VHS releases issued in proper W/S.  I can think of a few movies; darn sure not many.  As the 1990s rolled on into the 2000s there were more VHS W/S releases of various movies, but still quite a small percentage overall.   I endeavored to collect as many VHS W/S issues of certain movies liked as possible.  For instance, the Columbia western SILVERADO (1985) was issued on VHS in W/S several years after its first 'full-frame' videocassette release.  I bought one.  :)   

However, THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT -- to the best of my knowledge -- was issued twice on VHS by Columbia but neither issue was W/S. 

I wonder what the deal was with the DVD/ 'digital version' being cut.  Weird, but not entirely uncommon.    

The Cheap Detective (1978)

A private detective's affair with his partner's wife prejudices the police investigating the partner's murder even before they learn the partner had caught them wearing gorilla suits.

I have long felt that this movie, Young Frankenstein (1974) and: Blazing Saddles (1974) were the triad  of great 1970s parodies of classic movies. There were many others but these were the epitome of the art.

I love Peter Falk in all his roles and he proves here that he was the master of comedic timing. The momentous supporting cast of: Ann-Margret, Eileen Brennan, Sid Caesar, Stockard Channing, James Coco, Dom DeLuise, Louise Fletcher, John Houseman, Madeline Kahn, Fernando Lamas, Marsha Mason, Abe Vigoda, Paul Williams, Nicol Williamson, Carmine Caridi, James Cromwell, Scatman Crothers, David Ogden Stiers and Vic Tayback are all quite wonderful. 

8.1/10

I watched this tonight because it is in the: "Leaving Soon" list on: TubiTV.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, EricJ said:

I've never really understood the appeal of George Segal.  (Apart from being the only one on The Goldbergs who understood the old-school concept of humor.)

His slick style seemed more like a late-60's/early-70's relic of Neil Simon-era comedy, and by the time he did the torturous Carbon Copy in 1981, his character looked like nothing that belonged to the human species.  In a 70's comedy like Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?, though, he's in his element.

I found him to be quite perfect in: Just Shoot Me! (1997–2003) as the slightly-over-the-hill player who married one of his daughter's classmates. 

• Like 1

Well I just watched another George Segal movie, this time it was no comedy: NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY '68.

This thriller actually stars Rod Steiger who plays a strangler on the loose in NYC and Segal as the Detective who  is assigned to the case. I watch a lot of movies with MrTiki who ALWAYS blurts out the ending of a movie, frustrating me to no end, because I enjoy getting sucked into a story & never figure it out.

Well this one even I foresaw what was happening. The first murder seems random, (thankfully nothing gory) But by the second murder where we see this is "serial" compulsive behaviour, I knew immediately the killer was an actor-an obvious plot point.

Segal's charactor is a bachelor who lives with his nagging but funny Mom who is played by the wonderful Eileen Heckart. When someone describes the killer as having "Mother" issues, I assumed the climax of the story would be the killer attacking Segal's Mom & the police breaking in at the last minute to save her. Well, that didn't happen. But the killer DOES call the Detective's home, getting the number from the phone book! (how many Morris Brummels are in the phone book?)

Instead, the killer goes after Segal's girlfriend played by Lee Remick. She doesn't have much to do here, but makes the most of a thin part in the best Lee Remick way. Sometimes I think her stunning beauty got in the way of her given meatier roles, or even taken seriously, but WOW what a great actress.

So while this is a typical thriller, the great performances of the principles most definitely elevated it keeping me on the edge of my seat. I liked it, although didn't quite see it as a "black comedy" as Wiki categorizes it. Loved the quiet NYC locations. One scene had a crowd gathered, presumably because of a murder, but most likely just wanting to glimpse a star making a movie.

NoWayToTreatALady-Poster.jpg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Well I just watched another George Segal movie, this time it was no comedy: NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY '68.

This thriller actually stars Rod Steiger who plays a strangler on the loose in NYC and Segal as the Detective who  is assigned to the case. I watch a lot of movies with MrTiki who ALWAYS blurts out the ending of a movie, frustrating me to no end, because I enjoy getting sucked into a story & never figure it out.

Well this one even I foresaw what was happening. The first murder seems random, (thankfully nothing gory) But by the second murder where we see this is "serial" compulsive behaviour, I knew immediately the killer was an actor-an obvious plot point.

Segal's charactor is a bachelor who lives with his nagging but funny Mom who is played by the wonderful Eileen Heckart. When someone describes the killer as having "Mother" issues, I assumed the climax of the story would be the killer attacking Segal's Mom & the police breaking in at the last minute to save her. Well, that didn't happen. But the killer DOES call the Detective's home, getting the number from the phone book! (how many Morris Brummels are in the phone book?)

Instead, the killer goes after Segal's girlfriend played by Lee Remick. She doesn't have much to do here, but makes the most of a thin part in the best Lee Remick way. Sometimes I think her stunning beauty got in the way of her given meatier roles, or even taken seriously, but WOW what a great actress.

So while this is a typical thriller, the great performances of the principles most definitely elevated it keeping me on the edge of my seat. I liked it, although didn't quite see it as a "black comedy" as Wiki categorizes it. Loved the quiet NYC locations. One scene had a crowd gathered, presumably because of a murder, but most likely just wanting to glimpse a star making a movie.

NoWayToTreatALady-Poster.jpg

Always liked Lee Remick.  She does a great job in Telephon with Charles Bronson.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I wonder why that is? STUPID! Yes, I've heard about that scene.

10 hours ago, SansFin said:

I found him to be quite perfect in: Just Shoot Me! (1997–2003) as the slightly-over-the-hill player who married one of his daughter's classmates. 

I enjoyed that show.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Well there is a good degree of comedy in most of the scenes with Steiger;    E.g.  hard not to smirk when one see him in his latest disguise.    Also the murders are very "clean":   I.e. not designed to be gruesome.   

Fine film and I agree: some fine acting by the 3 stars and a good role for Steiger since his tendency to overact fit the character well (being a person of the theater). 

• Like 1

Liked No Way to Treat a Lady.  Did anyone ever see Carbon Copy - with Denzel W. and George S. - good chemistry between the two of them (Segal is Washington's father).  I'm also a fan of Lee Remick.  When you mentioned Steiger in disguise, it reminded me of one of the movies I wish TCM would show:  The List of Adrian (sp?) Messenger.

image.jpeg.2319c0cbfa044d5af722fc2e721a8884.jpeg

Lucky (2017) HBO 7/10

An elderly man (Harry Dean Stanton) contemplates his life in a small town.

One of Stanton's last roles before his death. Nothing much happens in this film but I was engrossed the whole way. It reminded me of 1970s films with it's small town atmosphere and a nice collection of quirky characters. David Lynch has an acting role here as a man whose 100 year old tortoise has run away. Ed Begley Jr plays a doctor who can't understand how life long smoker Stanton is still alive. James Darren appears as a slick bar patron. There is a nice scene between Stanton and Tom Skerritt, who were in Alien together 38 years before.

It is a series of vignettes in the life of this 90 year old man, obviously based on Stanton himself, since the character also is from Kentucky and was a Navy cook during WWII just as he was. He also sings some songs, reminding me of his character from Cool Hand Luke.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Well I just watched another George Segal movie, this time it was no comedy: NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY '68. .....Lee Remick. She doesn't have much to do here, but makes the most of a thin part in the best Lee Remick way. Sometimes I think her stunning beauty got in the way of her given meatier roles, or even taken seriously, but WOW what a great actress......

Yes she was. I love, love, LOVE her in WILD RIVER (1960.) Hands down one of the best performances of the decade.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Oh man. That’s lame that the print was edited. Not that I’m dying to hear f-bombs, but I want to see/hear films how they were intended. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Oh man. That’s lame that the print was edited. Not that I’m dying to hear f-bombs, but I want to see/hear films how they were intended. 

"what I feel like is GLORIA FLIPPING SWANSON" just doesn't have the same impact, does it?

• Like 1

I watched DARK SHADOWS: THE VAMPIRE'S CURSE which is a three-hourish compendum of edited bits of the storyline from the DAYTIME SHOW that explained how THE TREACHEROUS (and apparently bulletproof) ANGELIQUE turned BARNABAS into a vampire.

See the source image

It's the most I've ever watched of the classic soap in a full sitting, I've seen the stray bits here and there on the internet and back when it ran of SOAPNET and SCIFY. Realizing of course that they are leaving all sorts of stuff out (the whole MAGGIE EVANS traveling back in time story is omitted), I still like it quite a bit.

At the SEMINAL MOMENT when BARNABAS BECOMES AFFLICTED WITH THE DARK CURSE...courtesy of a WOOLWORTH'S HALLOWEEN DECORATION BAT ON A FISHING POLE THAT FOR ABOUT THREE SECONDS YOU CAN SEE THE STAGEHAND HOLDING, I actually (and honestly) glimpsed the beauty of the show. it's the closest a lot of us will come to seeing a GRAND GUIGNOL...or a rendition of VARNEY: THE VAMPYRE on the BLACKPOOL PIER.

It is truly to be cherished.

I'm impressed by almost all of the acting...JOAN BENNETT has some unsteady moments though, I wish they could have found a way to put her more at ease or something, but at the same time MAMA, for a woman who "has not left the house in 20 years" MS. COLLINS-STODDARD is DONE, HONEY. Five pounds of HAIR PIECES, IMPECCABLE SUITS, JEWELRY THAT IS TO. DIE. FOR. AND IN ONE SCENE A CHARTREUSE PAISLEY PUCCI PRINT, MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if she and JONATHAN FRID (who is wonderful) ever got in a brawl over the last tube of eyeliner....

I've always thought LOUIS EDMONDS was a stiff until I saw him in these period scenes and he is perfect. I am very sorry he did not go on to a HENRY DANIELL-like career on screen.

The sets and the costumes are superb. I wonder how they managed to have all those roaring fireplaces on  a soundstage in downtown NYC

Some of the shots- saturated as they are- are absolutely uncanny.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I watched DARK SHADOWS: THE VAMPIRE'S CURSE which is a three-hourish compendum of edited bits of the storyline from the DAYTIME SHOW that explained how THE TREACHEROUS (and apparently bulletproof) ANGELIQUE turned BARNABAS into a vampire.

See the source image

It's the most I've ever watched of the classic soap in a full sitting, I've seen the stray bits here and there on the internet and back when it ran of SOAPNET and SCIFY. Realizing of course that they are leaving all sorts of stuff out (the whole MAGGIE WINTERS traveling in time is omitted), I still like it quite a bit.

At the SEMINAL MOMENT when BARNABAS BECOMES AFFLICTED WITH THE DARK CURSE...courtesy of a WOOLWORTH'S HALLOWEEN DECORATION BAT ON A FISHING POLE THAT FOR ABOUT THREE SECONDS YOU CAN SEE THE STAGEHAND HOLDING, I actually (and honestly) glimpsed the beauty of the show. it's the closest thing a lot of us will come to see a GRAND GUIGNOL...or a rendition of VARNEY: THE VAMPYRE on the BLACKPOOL PIER.

It is truly to be cherished.

I'm impressed by almost all of the acting...JOAN BENNETT has some unsteady moments though, I wish they could have found a way to put her more at ease or something, but at the same time MAMA, for a woman who "has not left the house in 20 years" MS. COLLINS-STODDARD is DONE, HONEY. Five pounds of HAIR PIECES, IMPECCABLE SUITS, JEWELRY THAT IS TO. DIE. FOR. AND IN ONE SCENE A CHARTREUSE PAISLEY PUCCI PRINT, MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if she and JONATHAN FRID (who is wonderful) ever got in a brawl over the last tube of eyeliner....

I've always thought LOUIS EDMONDS was a stuff until I saw him in these period scenes and he is perfect. I am very sorry he did not go on to a HENRY DANIELL-like career on screen.

The sets and the costumes are superb. I wonder how they managed to have all those roaring fireplaces on  a soundstage in downtown NYV.

Some of the shots- saturated as they are- are absolutely uncanny.

Yeah, how did Elizabeth get all those duds if she never left the house in 20 yrs???? She must've had a personal shopper. AND I DOUBT you could find many of those clothes in a dinky Maine town like Collinsport!

And its VICTORIA Winters!!!! Not Maggie!

• Thanks 1

I won't add to the Dark Shadows derailment except to say I WATCHED IT TOO! The documentary, I mean. I wasn't allowed to watch horror OR soap operas as a kid, so never saw it. Just hearing the theme music creeped me out and now I'm a theremin player- a tune I should learn!

I loved the discussion from the people who were there, esp J Frid. Haha I always wondered WHY he was in Tiger Beat. Yukky old guy. I wanted David Cassidy androgyny. I've only begun watching reruns. Loved the screaming compilation shown earlier.

Way back in 2012, someone wrote this post. I've kept it as a quote all these years-LOL

Re: Worst movie you've ever seen? 
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 8:46 AM    in response to: Sandypink

Sandypink wrote:
There are so many but recently, the dark shadows remake with Johnny Depp.

Yeah, that looked baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, didn't go- possibly would have if it hadn't looked so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. And yet, a lot of reviewers went really easy on it. 

Really, Dark Shadows as a comedy? For effin real? What about Dark Shadows struck you as being funny, Tim Burton? Like "hah-hah" funny? Did Mars Attacks! teach you nothing, Tim Burton?

I hate you, Tim Burton.

• Like 1