Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

21 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Handsome can have a broader meaning than just pretty. Handsome infers mood, personality as well as appearance. I consider Angelica Huston a handsome woman.

I like Jason Robards, he seems highly intelligent , thoughtful and I'm drawn to his face.

I used to have a basset hound. Some people were attracted to her, too. But I can't recall a single person who called that dog handsome.

16 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

The only familiar face to me in AMERICA, AMERICA  is Joanna Frank, unforgettable as Regina the Bee Girl in the classic 1960's sci-fi program The Outer Limits.  (that episode is entitled "ZZZZZZ")

I remember that episode!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Handsome can have a broader meaning than just pretty. Handsome infers mood, personality as well as appearance. I consider Angelica Huston a handsome woman.

I like Jason Robards, he seems highly intelligent , thoughtful and I'm drawn to his face.

41580-actor-jason-robards-1976.jpg?fm=jp

1HY059_003_lt.jpg?1456537398

I'am a man and i considered Robards to be handsome He has a rugged look and it pleases a lot of women.Actually he had an uncanny ressemblance to Humphrey Bogart it was hypnotical to Lauren Bacall She married him quickly not knowing he had a severe alcool problem.

9 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

TOMJH - my first dog was a basset - he was handsome and won two blue ribbons.  Then my Dad retired him and he became the protector of all the children on the street - love that basset howl and, even though they are low to the ground, they can jump up (or put their paws on counters and steel food - like my dog did.

You have a far different idea of handsome from me. Mind you, I wasn't looking for that when I had Casey. She was an even tempered, laid back dog but if she ever shook her head, look out! There would be drool scattered on the walls and a cloud of hair slowly descended to the furniture and floor. Probably not unlike Jason Robards Jr. after a night on the town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

The only familiar face to me in AMERICA, AMERICA  is Joanna Frank, unforgettable as Regina the Bee Girl in the classic 1960's sci-fi program The Outer Limits.  (that episode is entitled "ZZZZZZ")

She can lick MY flower anytime!  😁

21 hours ago, 37kitties said: 

I still haven't recovered from seeing Julie Andrews' bare breasts in a movie - nipples and all.

I really didn't think she actually had any.

I still don't.   😒 

But Blake Edwards has spent so much of his career overreacting to "Julie isn't CUTE!" protests--even though he also satirized himself helping contribute to Julie's temporary downfall with "Darling Lili"--he needs to get over that complex as much as our culture needs to get over the jokes that sprang up when Mary Poppins appeared right at the height of 60's Sound Of Music Fatigue.

I didn't mind Robert Francis so much as I thought the love story between him and May Wynn felt out of place in such an intense film as THE CAINE MUTINY.

That was one story element I wouldn't have minded being omitted from the film. Though the suggestion of Anthony Perkins as Willie is certainly an interesting one.

Otherwise, THE CAINE MUTINY is still a great film. 

• Like 2

I just watched HOUSE OF DRACULA, a watchable 1945 flick that tries to squeeze in 3 of the more popular movie monsters in one film.....Dracula (played by John Carradine in here), the Wolf Man aka Larry Talbot (Lon Chaney, Jr.) and Frankenstein's monster (played by Glenn Strange).

(SPOILERS just in case).

I think the monster kind of got short shift in here, as the movie mostly alienates between Dracula's half-hearted attempt to want to stop sucking blood (he gives up on that once he lays eyes on the beautiful blonde nurse of Dr. Edlemann, the doc he goes to) and the doc's attempts to cure Talbot from his werewolf ailment.

Is it a classic....not really. But I have to admit I did like seeing Talbot finally free from the torment of turning into a wolf without dying. I know, I know ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN actually spoils this a couple years later with Talbot again suffering from turning into bloodthirsty wolf every full moon, but I like to pretend that little story happened before the events of HOUSE OF DRACULA.

I did feel sorry for Edlemann, he struck me as a kind, well-meaning man who ended up getting the short end of the stick for his efforts. Talbot was at least appreciative of what he did but old Drac (aka Baron Latos) ended up screwing him when he decided that being a vamp was just too darn fun to give up.

• Like 2

Young Frankenstein (1974)

A doctor leaves his teaching position to dedicate himself to applied research after he inherits his ancestral home.

I decided to re-watch this after reading a snippet that Teri Garr is the last surviving member of the primary cast. 

I must admit that: "Blücher" still does make me giggle a little bit but the remainder of the movie has moved from riotous laughter to being a comfortable friend. It is not so much that the humour is dated as happens to so many other movies but that repeated watchings and immersing myself into it so totally means that the oddities seem perfectly natural.

8.2/10

I am sorry to say that I believe that: Amazon Prime Video is the only streaming service now carrying it.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Understandably so. He's a good-looking man - very masculine, very cool.

And his voice is just about the perfect complement to his handsomeness.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

The first movie I remember seeing him in was A Thousand Clowns (think that is the name) with Barbara Harris.

Me too. The next one I saw him in was A Big Hand for the Little Lady and after that Once Upon a Time in the West.

By then I was thinking "this guy is the best actor in the world!". The Cheyenne character is still my favorite from that Leone masterpiece.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, 37kitties said:

Understandably so. He's a good-looking man - very masculine, very cool.

And his voice is just about the perfect complement to his handsomeness.

Not a lot of people ever call Robards "handsome." But you make a point of returning to this thread to do so a second time. Only now you're adding "very masculine" and "cool" as well now, I see. They're almost the words that someone with a fragile ego who thought he looked like the actor himself might use.  Eh, kitten?

jason-robards – Microsoft Store

So tell me, pooch, what do you think of the "handsome" Mr. Robards?

Basset Hound Breed Information Guide: Facts And Pictures | BARK

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

HIGH FLIGHT  1957 Columbia UK  Directed by John Gilling  Ray Milland Bernard Lee and in one of his first credited movies Barry Foster (the Frenzy killer).Training camp  for the RAF .Some what predictable fare.Some scenes were rehashed for An Officer & Gentleman i think is very possible Nice aerial shots..Released at 102 minutes,US print is 89 minutes. 6/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I WANTED WINGS 1941 Paramount directed by Mitchell Leisen.Ray Milland William Holden Brian Donlevy Veronica Lake Constance Moore. Overlong( about 135 minutes).Done when the USA were neutral during the war.The training done by the cadets.The soldiers are in a base with no barbers..nobody sports a crew-cut...Holden has actually quite long hair and looks dishelved several times. Veronica Lake shines in her debut in a featured role,she did only bits before. Lake is great as the venal night-club singer, out of wedlock pregnancy is implied etc etc With good direction Lake was a great actress ,she did Sullivan's Travels right after this one.She is the best thing in this long dated  film.   Winner of the Oscar for special effects in 1941. 6.5/10

• Like 1

African killer bees are on their busy little way to Texas.

This Irwin Allen schlockfest cannot be ignored, try as one might.  Pipe the cast:  Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda, Olivia de Havilland, Jose Ferrer, Fred MacMurray, Michael Caine, Ben Johnson, Richard Chamberlain, Brad Dillman, Katherine Ross, Patty Duke Astin, Slim Pickens, Lee Grant.

Listen to Widmark ring the changes on "What the HELL is going on?"  See Jose Ferrer covered in bees!  Watch Fred MacMurray (as Clarence the pharmacist, complete with bow tie) and Ben Johnson vie for the affections of schoolteacher Olivia de Havilland!  Rejoice as scientist Henry Fonda (also with bow tie) makes the ultimate sacrifice for humanity! Have your eardrums reverberate with the sound of Michael Caine shouting his way towards a paycheck!  Behold lovely Katherine Ross, who as always lets her hair do the acting! Thrill when pregnant Patty Duke Astin experiences labor cramps!  Shudder as engineer Slim Pickens threatens to cut off the town's water supply! ("You all are a-gonna not be able to flush your toilets!") Enjoy intrepid news reporter Lee Grant as she endeavors to expose The Truth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, TomJH said:

Not a lot of people ever call Robards "handsome." But you make a point of returning to this thread to do so a second time. Only now you're adding "very masculine" and "cool" as well now, I see. They're almost the words that someone with a fragile ego who thought he looked like the actor himself might use.  Eh, kitten?

Jason Robards was a great actor, without a doubt, but sexiest man alive he definitely was NOT, even as far back as the 60's.

He wasn't really ugly, but he wasn't going to make anyone forget Errol Flynn, or a young Marlon Brando as Stanley Kowalski in A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE.

Even in his younger years, Robards looked older than he was.

Not trying to demean the man, I'm just saying.

QUIET PLEASE MURDER  1942 20TH Century Fox  directed by John Francis Larkin George Sanders Gail Patrick Richard Denning Good  early Noir i would say, Complicated plot with forgery,nazis and murders.I noticed the use of silencers-everybody has one - and knives not too common then (silencers) but since the whole action happens in a public library i presumed they wanted to respect the code of silence.😉    Sanders is terrific as usual in that type of role.69 minutes 6.50/10

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Listen to Widmark ring the changes on "What the HELL is going on?"  See Jose Ferrer covered in bees!  Watch Fred MacMurray (as Clarence the pharmacist, complete with bow tie) and Ben Johnson vie for the affections of schoolteacher Olivia de Havilland!  Rejoice as scientist Henry Fonda (also with bow tie) makes the ultimate sacrifice for humanity! Have your eardrums reverberate with the sound of Michael Caine shouting his way towards a paycheck!  Behold lovely Katherine Ross, who as always lets her hair do the acting! Thrill when pregnant Patty Duke Astin experiences labor cramps!  Shudder as engineer Slim Pickens threatens to cut off the town's water supply! ("You all are a-gonna not be able to flush your toilets!") Enjoy intrepid news reporter Lee Grant as she endeavors to expose The Truth!

See the town of Mayberry attacked by bees!

Thrill to the Lionel-esque special effects of a train crash!

Hear an Air Force helicopter pilot deliver the line "OMG, they're all around me, bees, bees!" as if he's doing a radio-station traffic report.

• Haha 1

I finished watched a 2004 cable mini-series version of FRANKENSTEIN, starring Alec Newman as Victor Frankenstein and Luke Goss as the man-made creation. 

It's actually quite a good movie.  The monster commits a lot of foul deeds, yet he derives no pleasure from it. His acts of vengeance more or less are nothing more than striking out against his creator (or as he puts it, his 'father') for having rejected him.  Can't help but pity the creature even if you can't really condone his horrific acts.

This version is certainly a lot more faithful to Mary Shelley's original novel than either of James Whale's 2 FRANKENSTEIN movies in the 30's. Though in all fairness, I don't think a faithful adaptation to the story would have worked at the time, they did come out in the midst of the aftermath of the Depression, when folks went to the movies merely to be entertained and forget their troubles.

I give it a 9. It also features Donald Sutherland and William Hurt in small, but important roles.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

See the town of Mayberry attacked by bees!

Thrill to the Lionel-esque special effects of a train crash!

Hear an Air Force helicopter pilot deliver the line "OMG, they're all around me, bees, bees!" as if he's doing a radio-station traffic report.

It's a hoot, isn't it, Eric?

I like the train engineer spitting out his apple.

3 hours ago, Fedya said:

You didn't expect Veronica Lake to have a crew-cut, did you?

If you read my post correctly I wrote  she was a night club singer.Why would she had a crew cut?, I do not think it is funny do you ?