Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 9/18/2021 at 4:54 PM, LiamCasey said:

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

What, is it surprising to know that at least one denizen of this message board went to see this movie? Or, at least, admits to seeing it? 

It's surprising anyone in AMERICA went to see the movie...

On 9/17/2021 at 1:29 PM, txfilmfan said:

It's a shame, but Hallmark used to be the sponsor of highly regarded TV specials (Hallmark Hall of Fame).  That slowly deteriorated starting in the 70s, and was hastened by their own cable channels.

In fact, the only reason they HAD a channel to show cute bulk-produced interchangeable Christmas rom-coms in December and July, and then wing it the other ten months of the year, is that (aside from the fact that they bought out the old failing Catholic EWTN channel) it used to be the channel for Robert Halmi Jr./Brian Henson big-budget classic miniseries, where you could watch their "Gulliver's Travels" and "The Odyssey" at pretty much any hour of the day.

When they started to get into cutesier and cheesier fantasies, though ("The 10th Kingdom", "Magical Legend of the Leprechauns"), and made them just for the cable channel, quality deteriorated even faster in the 00's.

• Like 1
On 9/18/2021 at 7:03 AM, TikiSoo said:

Don't be so hard on Hallmark movies. I watched my first one during lockdown and was pleasantly surprised! They are well acted, well written & crafted productions. Some of us enjoy this kind of simple feel good type movies once in awhile, like a Busby Berkely musical. (BTW-I'm not a Christian)

Yes, I second that sentiment.

Similarly, I also  enjoy a good Lifetime movie when  I'm in the mood for one ---- although those movies are on the other end of the spectrum from the "feel good" Hallmark movies  In a Lifetime movie, the heroine does triumph at the end, but only after enduring a grueling  "trauma conga line."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

EWTN is still around, I might add.  The Eternal Word Television Network.  Mother Angelica died in 2016 at age 92.   I bought that same Bible she used.  It's the 'Jerusalem Bible' / READERS EDITION.  I read it sometimes and remind myself not to be too crass or crude.   Because I will be.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, LiamCasey said:

w/ Simu Liu, Tony Leung, Awkwafina, Ben Kinglsey, Meng'er Zhang, Fala Chen, Michelle Yeoh, Wah Yeuen and Florian Munteanu. Plus Tsai Chin, Jodi Long and Benedict Wong. And, uncredited, Brie Larson, Tim Roth (at least vocally) and Mark Ruffalo. Written by Dave Callaham, Destin Daniel Cretton and Andrew Lanham. And directed by Destin Daniel Cretton.

What, is it surprising to know that at least one denizen of this message board went to see this movie? Or, at least, admits to seeing it? 😉

And I liked it.

No surprise there because I am the right age to have had read Marvel comics in the late '60s and the '70s. Including reading The Hands of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu. Which is why I have seen all 25 (so far) MCU movies. And all 4 (so far) Disney+ MCU television series. And have pretty much enjoyed them all. So, it is safe to say that I'm going into these movies already prejudiced in their favor.

Now, is it a superhero movie? Yes. And a superhero origin movie to boot. So, of course, it hits many of the formulaic points common to such movies. Including the required big battle CGI-ed climax. But it hits those points well. Just because something is formula doesn't mean it's bad.

And it is also a martial arts movie spiced with East Asian mythology. With excellent fight sequences. And, considering the filmmakers limited the connective tissue to other MCU movies, this one can be easily watched as such by a neophyte.

But what really makes this movie is the characters and the family dynamic between them (albeit a family that has more in common with the Corleone's than yours or mine (at least I hope!)). Especially Tony Leung's Xu Wenwu as the father/villain. Because he is not the Fu Manchu that was Shang-Chi's father back in the '70s (Matter of fact, both Sir Denis Nayland Smith and Fah Lo See also appeared in that comic book.). Nor is he really the Mandarin who was simply a Fu Manchu knockoff that first fought Iron Man back in the '60s. This is a new villain entirely. With believable motivations. And is well played by Mr. Leung.

And, on a side note, I don't know if streaming will ultimately kill movie theaters (the subject of another active thread), but, considering the crowd at this one, the latter still has a fighting chance. Although that may only be a case with larger scale movies that scream big screen such as this one. But, then again, I, for one, plan on seeing a double feature of Dracula (1931) and Frankenstein (1931) at this same theater on October 2nd. So, obviously, I'm not living up to that expectation.

I want to see this solely because I own about 60 or so of the original comics from the 70 and thought they were amazing.  Not a MCU fan but i have seen a few of them (really want for WB to restore the Snyderverse!). I'm worried this film won't capture the story of the comics where there was a freelance team fighting alongside Chi - albeit not using martial arts per se.  I will probably watch this eventually but not in the theater.  I'm still scratching my head how this even got made as it wasn't THAT popular and seems well outside the realm of the marvel superheroes and in its own separate reality and there's really no audience asking for this as the original comics were from over 40 years ago.  there's a few theories i have why they would want to make this, mostly just wanting to be PC, but for whatever the reason, this might be one of the few marvel films i end up enjoying if they stay true to the comics.

From the last few days or so:

Back from Eternity (1956) Thought the set-up was going great and then once the plane crashed everything just kind of rushed to a finish.  Thought this could've been a good story.  But always nice to see Anita Ekberg!

Drive a Crooked Road (1954)  Liked it.  Already wrote on another thread about Rooney's performance.

Three Colors: White (1994) Figured i need to finish this trilogy while i can still remember the first one.  didn't like this part as well as the first, and not seeing yet why this trilogy is so highly regarded.  maybe it ends on a high note.

Hell Divers (1932)  Thought this was pretty cool film.  Wonder how much of the flying footage was stock footage pulled from other sources, but i thought some of the flying sequences were damn awesome.

Vacation Friends (2021)  Decent Hulu mindless comedy.  Movie night with wifey selection.

The Affairs of Dobie Gillis (1953)  Like this kind of silly nostalgic film.  A few big gaps in the story but why point them out, this film is what it is.  Never saw any of the television series.

6 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

The Affairs of Dobie Gillis (1953)  Like this kind of silly nostalgic film.  A few big gaps in the story but why point them out, this film is what it is.  Never saw any of the television series.

And, of course, it's common knowledge that the Dobie Gillis TV characters--Dobie, Thalia, Maynard and Zelda--directly inspired the teen Mystery Inc. gang from the Scooby-Doo cartoon.

image.jpg

...Nobody knows why.  🤔

6 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I'm still scratching my head how this even got made as it wasn't THAT popular and seems well outside the realm of the marvel superheroes and in its own separate reality and there's really no audience asking for this as the original comics were from over 40 years ago.  there's a few theories i have why they would want to make this, mostly just wanting to be PC, but for whatever the reason, this might be one of the few marvel films i end up enjoying if they stay true to the comics.

The correct answers are:
A) Because MCU's Iron Man series had been trying to find a PC version of Iron Man's nemesis The Mandarin from the print comics--who used ten power-enhancing finger rings, each with a separate alien-power-source to equal Tony Stark's own, and used to dress in un-PC Fu Manchu robes in the Silver Age comics before adopting a more evil-corporate look later on--but when they tried the safe double-switcheroo of Ben Kingsley's "fake" Mandarin in Iron Man 3, the fans howled,

and

B )  Because Disney wanted to follow their live-action Mulan with an MCU entry into China Box-Office Mania, but more established Chinese martial-arts hero (and B-team Avengers member) Iron Fist was still too tied up from his old Netflix series with Luke Cage and Daredevil.  And now, with Simu's early comments against the repressive Chinese state coming to light on social media, Disney might not even get THAT.

Don't let Marvel fool anyone into thinking they have an actual "Phase IV"--They have four or five ideas at the moment, some of them (ahemeternals) already expired, and they're throwing them ALL at the wall right now to see which sticks.

THE 39 STEPS  1959  UK  Rank Films  Directed by Ralph Thomas  Kenneth More Taina Elg with excellent support cast of UK comedians .Not totally a remake of Hitchcock's film. Beautifully shot in Scotland by Ernest Steward I did not know Eastmancolor could look so good. Lots of action with K More doing most of the stunts himself. Kenneth More was a great actor, every film  between 1952 till 1962 are good films .   A very enjoyable movie 93 minutes 8/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WARPATH 1951 Paramount Directed by Byron Haskin     Edmond O'Brien Dean Jagger Polly Bergen Better than average western for the period,a lot of action in this cavalry -revenge themed film.Nice scenery of Montana in color.95 minutes 7/10

The Texan 1930 Paramount  Directed by John Cromwell  Gary Cooper Fay Wray,This film was considered lost for almost 80years. You can see it remastered on cable now may be youtube. A Very good western a bit different of what was done then in the western genre. Cooper must be close to 6 foot '8 with his boots on  as he towered over everybody, he has such a lanky shape. Great copy 79 minutes .     For the era 7.5 /10

texan.jpg

THE DESERT HAWK 1950 Universal Directed by Frederick De Cordova Richard Greene Yvonne De Carlo Rock Hudson Jackie Gleason.George Macready De Carlo looks fantastic in Technicolor in her Arabian outfits. A swashbuckling story filmed in the desert. Greene passed himself as a prince,in a pre-arranged marriage,Greene marry De Carlo the same night ,  After the wedding night De Carlo does her impression of Vivien Leigh in GWTW   i.e  waking up in the morning .Greene  has disappeared  ( who would ?)  De Carlo  she now knows she was tricked (and deflowered!), so everybody is looking for Greene who is already a wanted bandit.Hudson is 5th billed, Gleason is ok but quite lean.  George Macready is the frustrated groom and of course the super villain About  78 minutes. 6.5/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please see the original 39 Steps with Robert Donat.  My Mom said it used to be shown as a double feature with The Lady Vanishes.

Last night, watched some of the Emmys until I got bored; however, before that watched Prelude to a Kiss.    Liked it for many reasons.  The night before watched Nine Months with Hugh Grant, Julianne Moore and Robin Williams (in a supporting role), then saw the end of Silver Linings Playbook (for those of us who have struggled with mental health, it can be a beautiful, relatable film.

THE GREEKS HAD A WORD FOR THEM  1932 aka 3  Broadway  Girls since 1936 The Samuel Goldwyn Cie Directed by Lowell Sherman Joan Blondell(  top billed)  Ina Claire Madge Evans David Manners Lowell Sherman  Good pre-code comedy,all the actresses are very good, Ina Claire steals the show though.Evans is unusually good.Adapted from the stage play,remade a few times and  better known as How To Marry a Millionnaire.Look quick for Betty Grable as a hatcheck girl.  Goldwyn failed to renew the copyright ( usually $4 then)movie retitled in 36 in public domain since.Copies floating around are from poor to good quality.79 minutes 7/10

• Like 1

Last night we screened CHAD HANNAH '40 a sweet 20th Century Fox release starring Henry Fonda, Linda Danielle & Dorothy Lamour.  I had seen it before, but it was first time for everyone else in the audience. I remember liking it, but had completely forgotten everything-even that it was in color! 

It involves a small traveling circus owned by ringmaster Guy Kibbee and his wife played by Jane Darwell in a fat suit. Both brought some levity to the story of simpleton Chad Hannah (Fonda) instantly falling for circus equestrian played by Dorothy Lamour. (who wouldn't?) I watched closely & was impressed she actually rode the horse for one scene, the trainer obviously just out of frame. Good for you Dottie! 

So pie eyed Hanna joins up. Linda Darnell plays Caroline, the girl next door and when her father beats her, she runs after Hannah. Whoops-beauty Lamour switches to a bigger better circus and guess who has to learn to take her place? O'course, the lovely Caroline.

While this seems like a pat little story (it is) the performances & the production elevate it somewhat. OK call me a sucker, but I love circus stuff and they used real circus wagons & pretty costumes & animals. The lion had a particularly big role, obviously heavily sedated for some scenes. I know MrTiki disliked Lamour's charactor as a flirt, but that was her job as a carny. In the end, she shows that she means Hannah & Caroline no harm, it's just show business. I also spotted Rondo Hatton in the mob scene.

One of the reasons we screened this is because it was based on a Walter Edmonds story set in the central New York region, mentioning many familiar local small towns, each getting applause. TCM premiered this a couple years ago & it pops up from time to time.

421051_full.jpg

Chad-hanna-1940.jpg

22 hours ago, EricJ said:

And, of course, it's common knowledge that the Dobie Gillis TV characters--Dobie, Thalia, Maynard and Zelda--directly inspired the teen Mystery Inc. gang from the Scooby-Doo cartoon.

image.jpg

...Nobody knows why.  🤔

Is that true about Scooby Doo?

Can Ellen Be Saved (1974)

Can Ellen Be Saved (1974) Youtube 7/10

Ellen, a depressed young girl (Kathy Cannon) is lured into a religious cult.

This was one of those 1970s Movie Of The Week that I never forgot. The version on Youtube is a bit dark in places but still watchable. I recall many scenes from it. Cannon gives an excellent performance, I don't think she got many other roles that I can remember. Michael Parks is the charismatic leader of the Jesus cult. He teaches her to they are their family now and to renounce her parents. The worried parents are played by Leslie Nielson and Louise Fletcher, after seeing her state of mind they go to a deprogrammer to kidnap her. He is played by John Saxon and he is tough and relentless. The scenes of deprogramming are pretty powerful and brutal. This is worth seeing if you like 1970s TV movies.

• Like 1

Thunder_road42.jpg

I'm a big fan of Robert Mitchum, who made this B-movie as kind of a family project, but unfortunately it also underscores his limitations when left to his own devices.  He plays "Luke Doolin", a moonshine runner in a family business with his look-alike son James as his kid brother. James' acting is about what I expected of a 17 year old, but singer Keely Smith (oddly miscast as Luke's girlfriend) makes James seem like Laurence Olivier.  Also onboard is Sandra Knight, who later married Jack Nicholson, and Gene Barry as a federal agent.

The best parts are the car chases but they're few and far between. Luke has a series of valves in his rear bumper that can dump oil on the road when being chased, or the entire tank of alcohol if all else fails. This was pretty cool, but when two Feds lose control and die in a crash Luke is hauled in for questioning. He's less than cooperative and is cut loose.

ThunderRoadc.jpg.d6c1fd142f518ea56f5dc0fcac375b54.jpg...ThunderRoadccc.jpg.e53da876f0688e02e60c1fb154b419c6.jpg

With a far-away look in her eyes, Keely breaks into song while they're out having a drink.

Considered a cult classic, but probably more because of Mitchum's anti-establishment rep and cool demeanor rather than a good film. 6.5/10

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

Thunder_road42.jpg

I'm a big fan of Robert Mitchum, who made this B-movie as kind of a family project, but unfortunately it also underscores his limitations when left to his own devices.  He plays "Luke Doolin", a moonshine runner in a family business with his look-alike son James as his kid brother. James' acting is about what I expected of a 17 year old, but singer Keely Smith (oddly miscast as Luke's girlfriend) makes James seem like Laurence Olivier.  Also onboard is Sandra Knight, who later married Jack Nicholson, and Gene Barry as a federal agent....

The best parts are the car chases but they're few and far between. Luke has a series of valves in his rear bumper that can dump oil on the road when being chased, or the entire tank of alcohol if all else fails. This was pretty cool, but when two Feds lose control and die in a crash Luke is hauled in for questioning. He's less than cooperative and is cut loose.

With a far-away look in her eyes, Keely breaks into song while they're out having a drink.

Considered a cult classic, but probably more because of Mitchum's anti-establishment rep and cool demeanor rather than a good film. 6.5/10

Nice take on this film.    Keely wasn't  an actress and it shows!     The part was a small part and the producers had  a limited budget but the film would have been so much better if Jane Russell was cast.      The screenplay should have played up the gang boss and his henchman angle and  reduced the  role of the Feds making the film more gritty and less police procedural. 

Mitchum's screen persona was a great fit for the character and as you note he carries the film.        I also dig the bluegrass instrumental music.   Pre-David-Grisman!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback James.  I always enjoy your contributions.   

If I could ask a small favor - I recently learned that screencaps that are quoted cannot be deleted by myself, which count against my accumulated total allowed.  I'm always having to go back and delete older ones to make room for new, but I'm almost at the limit again.   The poster art I'm learning to link from other sources, so that's okay I think?

59 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Thanks for the feedback James.  I always enjoy your contributions.   

If I could ask a small favor - I recently learned that screencaps that are quoted cannot be deleted by myself, which count against my accumulated total allowed.  I'm always having to go back and delete older ones to make room for new, but I'm almost at the limit again.   The poster art I'm learning to link from other sources, so that's okay I think?

Wow,  didn't know there were such limits.   In the future I'll remove screencaps when using the quote feature and I'll edit the one above.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

recently learned that screencaps that are quoted cannot be deleted by myself, which count against my accumulated total allowed.  I'm always having to go back and delete older ones to make room for new, but I'm almost at the limit again.   The poster art I'm learning to link from other sources, so that's okay I think?

Are you referring to the "existing attachment" space being limited? I quote image files all the time and I maxed out my existing attachment space long ago. You can use a link creator app for saved photos. 

2 hours ago, Katie_G said:

If you have a Google account, doesn't that give you something like 10GB of space for photos?  I know my blog has that space, but I don't know if that's Google accounts in general.

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

Are you referring to the "existing attachment" space being limited? I quote image files all the time and I maxed out my existing attachment space long ago. You can use a link creator app for saved photos. 

Yes, it's only 3 mb which adds up quick.   I may look into that app, thanks!

Fedya, I'm not sure about Google but I'll look into it because this is ridiculous.  Thanks for the tip.

Last night, before switching to NCIS, watched the In-Laws.  It is a funny, ridiculous movie.  Like the intro about Falk and Arkin wanting to work together.  I learned the word "serpentine" by watching this movie.  One interesting not is that they remade the movie with Michael Douglas and Albert Brooks (and Douglas and Arkin starred in the Kaminsky Method (sp?) - can't remember name (which just ended its run).

9 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Last night, before switching to NCIS, watched the In-Laws.  It is a funny, ridiculous movie.  Like the intro about Falk and Arkin wanting to work together.  I learned the word "serpentine" by watching this movie.  One interesting not is that they remade the movie with Michael Douglas and Albert Brooks (and Douglas and Arkin starred in the Kaminsky Method (sp?) - can't remember name (which just ended its run).

I love the original THE IN-LAWS, Alan Arkin and Peter Falk were both hilarious, another successful example of "The Odd Couple" pairing that works thanks to the brilliant chemistry between the leads.

Sadly, I cannot say the same for the remake (and I like Michael Douglas and Albert Brooks but they did not have either the comic timing nor the movie magic that Arkin and Falk had).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Thunder_road42.jpg

I'm a big fan of Robert Mitchum, who made this B-movie as kind of a family project, but unfortunately it also underscores his limitations when left to his own devices.  He plays "Luke Doolin", a moonshine runner in a family business with his look-alike son James as his kid brother. James' acting is about what I expected of a 17 year old, but singer Keely Smith (oddly miscast as Luke's girlfriend) makes James seem like Laurence Olivier.  Also onboard is Sandra Knight, who later married Jack Nicholson, and Gene Barry as a federal agent.

ThunderRoadcc.jpg.417854856ef07186d1fe4019d131c2d0.jpg...ThunderRoadbbb.jpg.da1a7812dd1d95a252d59ab3d441565d.jpg

ThunderRoadc.jpg.d6c1fd142f518ea56f5dc0fcac375b54.jpg...ThunderRoadccc.jpg.e53da876f0688e02e60c1fb154b419c6.jpg

This film was shown in drive-ins throughout the South for years. A huge regional favorite, despite the limitations of script and cast.