Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, laffite said:

Is there a place where other such marvels can be found? A list of key strokes. Thanks.

Here's a list of the most common ones for Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/keyboard-shortcuts-to-add-language-accent-marks-in-word-3801b103-6a8d-42a5-b8ba-fdc3774cfc76

And for Mac OS X:

https://www.reed.edu/cis/help/diacritics.html

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, laffite said:

Espionage movies are better IMO without a lot of action. They are better when they are exactly how you describe them. To be a spy and finding themselves in the situations they must occupy is suspenseful enough not to require action. You imply that le Carre (how did you make that accent mark?) are action movies and maybe in the long run they are. There was a fair dearth of action in both The Spy Who Came in the Cold and the more recent A Most Wanted Man and much to my delight. I am not an experienced espionage movie watcher so I may only have a partial understanding of same. But your remarks about the The Courier makes me want to have a look. Thanks.

I didn't mean to leave you with the impression that movies based upon the works of John le Carré are action movies. Just that The Courier has even less by comparison.

P.S. I'm on Windows 10 and usually use the character map application for letters with a diacritical mark.

I like to be as accurate as I can when typing -- including adding the proper accent marks to particular words -- but it's not easy to memorize which numbers to press on my numeric keypad after I've pressed the 'ALT' key to get the desired 'accented' letter. 

One of them I have memorized is 'ALT' + '404' = ö  with the umlaut.   :)  Ain't Life Grand! 

• Like 1

I watched The Devil's Disciple this morning over morning coffee. And where, may I ask, has been Janette Scott all my live long life. I mean, Heaven help me, what a sweet bundle of a woman is she! She spent a large amount of time fretting and actually boohoo-ing but when she did those things she was so--o-o-o-o cute!!!!  She cried the way they cry in comedies (after all, I do take this movie for a comedy), Boy, if I were in that movie I would steal a kiss if I had the chance. 'Course she wouldn't have wanted to kiss the likes o' me, so in that case I might have to settle with one sweet look of approbation if I were lucky enough to get one.

The rest of the movie was okay too. :lol:

Since I am falling all over myself for Miss Scott and my, uh, persuasion firmly established, I now feel free enough and frank enough to speak about an opposite sort of admiration and that prompts me to ask a question to the ladies present. Is it possible to even glance a quick glance at the magnificent Burt Lancaster and not be entirely and irrevocably smitten. If I were a woman and came with a glance of that man I would probably faint. And dare I admit that as a man myself, I might also faint. Magnificent you are Burt, damn you! Wow, what a magnificent pair these two make, Janette Scott and Burt Lancaster. And there they go riding off on a horse in the last scene, the all time classic of all classic endings, presumably to live happily ever after. Yeah, I know ; but I hope they can as they are one of the most charmed couple ever to end a movie.

Program Note : speaking of sweet bundle of woman, don't miss I See a Dark Stranger ('46) this Thursday at 5am PDT - 8am EDT, to see the incomparable Deborah Kerr. She is at her absolutest sweetest! She is a young thing that finds herself over her head a bit in a political intrigue and is constantly furrowing her eyebrows wondering what to do. The camera and therefore we the audience profit by a number of wonderfully  photographed close-ups of this marvelous and endearing face. As we all know, Deborah grew up fast in the movies. The moment she appeared as full-fledged grown-up woman, she seemed to attain at the same time and with no middle flight an accomplished woman of maturity and elegance. She is quite magnificent this way too, but be sure to catch the above movie and see her before she grows up.

Kiss the  the Girls and Make Them Die.

Funny. Winky. Entertaining Story. Nothing Whatsoever Against Madam Dorothy Provine; (but) GreatHornyToads(!) (As Yo Semite Sam would say), is She PRETTY (with)in this particular Story here. GoshDarn, (i) Never Knew Mr Terry-Thomas Knew Kung-Fu. And, (conversationally circling back to Madam Provine for a few more minutes); i Think Id Watch Her Pick, Up notebook paper with Her Teeth ANY Day of the Week

Hugo (2011) Martin Scorsese’s love letter to film is full of goodwill. Where to begin? I got lost in the period details – the costumes, the festive Paris train station. The fluid special effects never threatened to bury the sweet nostalgia. Hugo is another triumph in the director’s filmography.

• Like 1

The Curse of the Cat People (1944) I like how they kept many of the same actors/characters and the storyline going from the first film, but this film is missing on important element- namely cat people.  Re-name the film and it could've stood on its own as a completely different film.

Star 80 (1983) Been curious to watch this for a while since i'm familiar with the real story.  First take is that Eric Roberts is a damn good actor and wish he was in more mainstream roles over the past few decades (not entirely familiar with his story and why hollywood turned its back on him) but i think this film pulled back and didn't have the guts to tell the whole story by making Robert's character the sole villain.  To me it seems Stratten's life was full of men who were trying to take advantage of her including Hefner and the movie director based on Peter Bogdanovich (which might be sacrilege to criticize on here given his relationship with TCM) and to add to the creep factor, Bogdanovich later began a relationship with Stratten's younger sister.  IMO he groomed them both.  Sidenote: the younger sister and him appear in one of my all time favorite films, Noah Baumbach's Highball.  Either way, i thought it was a pretty good film even with the limited scope of the story.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, laffite said:

I watched The Devil's Disciple this morning over morning coffee. And where, may I ask, has been Janette Scott all my live long life. I mean, Heaven help me, what a sweet bundle of a woman is she! She spent a large amount of time fretting and actually boohoo-ing but when she did those things she was so--o-o-o-o cute!!!!  She cried the way they cry in comedies (after all, I do take this movie for a comedy), Boy, if I were in that movie I would steal a kiss if I had the chance. 'Course she wouldn't have wanted to kiss the likes o' me, so in that case I might have to settle with one sweet look of approbation if I were lucky enough to get one.

The rest of the movie was okay too. :lol:

Since I am falling all over myself for Miss Scott and my, uh, persuasion firmly established, I now feel free enough and frank enough to speak about an opposite sort of admiration and that prompts me to ask a question to the ladies present. Is it possible to even glance a quick glance at the magnificent Burt Lancaster and not be entirely and irrevocably smitten. If I were a woman and came with a glance of that man I would probably faint. And dare I admit that as a man myself, I might also faint. Magnificent you are Burt, damn you! Wow, what a magnificent pair these two make, Janette Scott and Burt Lancaster. And there they go riding off on a horse in the last scene, the all time classic of all classic endings, presumably to live happily ever after. Yeah, I know ; but I hope they can as they are one of the most charmed couple ever to end a movie.

Program Note : speaking of sweet bundle of woman, don't miss I See a Dark Stranger ('46) this Thursday at 5am PDT - 8am EDT, to see the incomparable Deborah Kerr. She is at her absolutest sweetest! She is a young thing that finds herself over her head a bit in a political intrigue and is constantly furrowing her eyebrows wondering what to do. The camera and therefore we the audience profit by a number of wonderfully  photographed close-ups of this marvelous and endearing face. As we all know, Deborah grew up fast in the movies. The moment she appeared as full-fledged grown-up woman, she seemed to attain at the same time and with no middle flight an accomplished woman of maturity and elegance. She is quite magnificent this way too, but be sure to catch the above movie and see her before she grows up.

If you want to learn more about Janette Scott, you might read Mel Tormé's autobiography, It Wasn't All Velvet, which I just finished. (And thanks to Mr. Gorman's post above, I was able to spell Mel's last name correctly.) They were married for several years. She had previously been involved with David Frost. Janette Scott gave up the lead in Sands of the Kalahari to follow Mel to America.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, laffite said:

Since I am falling all over myself for Miss Scott and my, uh, persuasion firmly established, I now feel free enough and frank enough to speak about an opposite sort of admiration and that prompts me to ask a question to the ladies present. Is it possible to even glance a quick glance at the magnificent Burt Lancaster and not be entirely and irrevocably smitten.

Funny you should ask - just yesterday I enjoyed watching Burt in some pirate movie.  Can't remember the name, but the important thing was Burt, all shirtless and sweaty on some desert island with his coconuts on display.   My my my  what a pulchritudinous man, I thought.

publicity still from Desert Fury, 1947

Burt_Lancaster_-_publicity_1947.JPG

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

The Curse of the Cat People (1944) I like how they kept many of the same actors/characters and the storyline going from the first film, but this film is missing on important element- namely cat people.  Re-name the film and it could've stood on its own as a completely different film.

After Cat People, RKO replaced Universal as the new center of the horror industry, and they wanted their own Universal-like lineup.  They pitched one B-movie title at Val Lewton after another, but Val was famous for cleverly managing to do a creepy atmospheric film anyway that had almost nothing to do with the title:
There's only a regular panther in "The Leopard Man" (the "Man"'s his trainer), there are no ghosts in "Ghost Ship", "I Walked With a Zombie" (but only one, for a minute), and...."It sometimes feels as if there's been a curse on this house, since Irena died."  There, there's your "Curse".

Val wrote the movie as "Amy's Friend", but if RKO wanted a Cat People sequel...

• Like 1
20 hours ago, King Rat said:

If you want to learn more about Janette Scott, you might read Mel Tormé's autobiography, It Wasn't All Velvet,

THANK YOU! I'm a Tormé fan and never read anything by him. Looked at my library first, which has a Tormé penned book "The Other Side Of The Rainbow" about Judy Garland. Requested that, should be an interesting read. 

Since they didn't have "It Wasn't All Velvet", I just purchased it from an Illinois Thrift Store on ABE books for $4.  Thanks for mentioning that King Rat, now I've got something good to read!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

THANK YOU! I'm a Tormé fan and never read anything by him. Looked at my library first, which has a Tormé penned book "The Other Side Of The Rainbow" about Judy Garland. Requested that, should be an interesting read. 

Since they didn't have "It Wasn't All Velvet", I just purchased it from an Illinois Thrift Store on ABE books for $4.  Thanks for mentioning that King Rat, now I've got something good to read!

I'm also a big Mel Tormé fan and have requested his The Other Side of the Rainbow: With Judy Garland on the Dawn Patrol from the library. It's about the year Mel did the arrangements for Judy Garland's TV show. Keeping Judy in a condition where she could perform was not an easy task.

• Thanks 1

Bad Blonde   aka the Flanagan Boy 1953 Lippert Productions & Hammer Films Directed by Reginald Le Borg  .Barbara Payton Tony Wright. Film noir with Payton as the Femme fatale convincing her lover to kill her husband.Standard fare material Payton looks good in various dressses and swimming suits.81 minutes .6/10

•  

17 hours ago, King Rat said:

I'm also a big Mel Tormé fan

Mel's autograph was one of my first. So glad I have that memory.

14 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Re-watched The Great Buster documentary again last night

Ugh I recorded that but STILL haven't watched it! Oy!

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Mel's autograph was one of my first. So glad I have that memory.

Ugh I recorded that but STILL haven't watched it! Oy!

I recommend watching it.  ASAP!

• Thanks 1

The Isle of the Dead (1945) Nice to see Karloff out of makeup.  Liked the set-up of this film and then it just got dreadfully boring for me.

King Solomon's Mines (1950) I liked it but think it is missing a few action sequences in it.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:48 PM, laffite said:

Is it possible to even glance a quick glance at the magnificent Burt Lancaster and not be entirely and irrevocably smitten.

No.  I don't think so. 

There's a moment in, "Elmer Gantry" where Burt walks up to a fenced  area around the stage.  He puts one hand on the waist high fence and springs over it without the slightest hesitation in his forward movement. It's so strong and so smooth, I nearly stand up to faint every time.  I know he was a circus performer before he started acting and it shows  in all his movements, just that tiny little extra flair.  He's dashing.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:48 PM, laffite said:

the incomparable Deborah Kerr.

I just watched her in "The Innocents."  She was my mother's favorite actress ("So ladylike") and I always admired her, too, but in this gothic /horror film she really had to do some intense acting while keeping her genteel manner as an English governess.  She was wonderful.  At one point the camera stays on her face while she's gazing  out a window and then sees a ghost woman across a lake.  Her face goes from bored to terrified so well that I had a flush of actually chill bumps all over my body.  My dog was on my lap and she jumped up  barking in fear.

• Like 1

The Thing with Two Heads  1972 AIP Pictures  Directed by Lee Frost   Ray Milland  Roosevelt Grier.Late in his career Ray Milland was doing a lot of things for the money as he said but he  also  knew he was no longer a leading man. This movie  is very funny in a way.A bigot  doctor researching head transplants(successful with a 2 headed gorilla-gorilla suit of course) is planning to try it on humans but something happens and he must be the guinea pig.This is not a comedy but they are many funny lines by Milland and others,the atmosphere on the set must have been very good...The ending is great  with a very appropriate song. A perfect fit for TCM Underground 91 minutes 5.5 /10

• Like 3

The Million Eyes of Sumuru   1967 UK  distributed in USA by AIP Directed by Lindsay Shonteff.   George Nader Shirley Eaton Klaus Kinski Wilfrid Hyde-White and ...Frankie Avalon ( who has top billing but not much screen time-maybe it was cut). A megalomaniac woman wants to kill all male political leaders of the world and replacing them by her army of women. British Intelligence(!) wants Nader and Avalon to find and destroy her. I watched this film for Eaton ( The Gold Painted  Girl  of  Goldfinger),instead of being the sultry blonde as she usually is, in this turkey she has jet black hair.This is another( bad) supposed to be spy movie.Avalon seems unease acting without a bathing suit but the second lead actress Patti Chandler was in several of his beach movies so he was not too much lost by the scenery.The print I have seen  was about 70 minutes out of 95.I will try to locate a full print anyway...Abysmal 4.50/10 A Contender for TCM Underground perhaps. 

• Like 1

REDSKIN  1929 SILENT  Paramount Directed by Victor Schertzinger Richard Dix. Last silent of Richard Dix,with Julie  Carter Jane Novak.Beautiful film.The film is regarded highly by historians for presenting sympathetic portrayals of Native Americans in the silent film era. The action happening on the white man territory is shot in black & white,while the action on the Indian's one is in Technicolor,75% of the film is shot in beautiful Technicolor-2 strip I think.A very good film.82 minutes 7.5/10    Extra info from IMDB :This was actually an accident.The financial backers for the film ran out of money to spend on the then very expensive color film and ordered the filmmakers to immediately switch to black-and-white. Upon hearing this, the filmmakers realized that all the scenes at the Native American village had been shot. 

21 hours ago, nakano said:

The Million Eyes of Sumuru   1967 UK  distributed in USA by AIP Directed by Lindsay Shonteff.   George Nader Shirley Eaton Klaus Kinski Wilfrid Hyde-White and ...Frankie Avalon( who has top billing but not much screen time-maybe it was cut. A megalomaniac woman wants to kill all male political leaders of the world and replacing them by her army of women. British Intelligence(!) wants Nader and Avalon to find and destroy her. I watched this film for Eaton ( The Gold Painted  Girl  of  Goldfinger),instead of being the sultry blonde as she usually is, in this turkey she has jet black hair.This is another( bad) supposed to be spy movie.Avalon seems unease acting without a bathing suit but the second lead actress Patti Chandler was in several of his beach movies so he was not too much lost by the scenery.The print I have seen  was about 70 minutes out of 95.I will try to locate a full print anyway...Abysmal 4.50/10 A Contender for TCM Underground perhaps. 

sumuru.jpg

"A megalomaniac woman wants to kill all male political leaders of the world and replacing them by her army of women."  And that is bad how?

• Haha 1