Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sherlock jr poster.jpg

Sherlock Jr (1924) Youtube 7/10

A movie projectionist (Buster Keaton) dreams of being a famous detective.

My first time seeing this. It was on TCM very late recently, I hoped it would be On Demand but it wasn't. It is included on IMDB's Top 250 movies, so I decided to watch on Youtube. I didn't laugh as much I thought I would, but the stunts and special effects are amazing, even today. I think my favorite scene was when he jumps out the window into the dress disguise. I also admired the sequence where he steps into the movie screen and the scene keeps changing.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I also admired the sequence where he steps into the movie screen and the scene keeps changing.

A scene Daffy Duck later memorably paid homage to:
7thumb.jpg8thumb.jpg12thumb.jpg

• Like 3
On 10/3/2021 at 9:13 AM, Fedya said:

I need a wine glass like the one Dirk Bogarde has in Modesty Blaise:

img_5125.jpeg

Love those flowers in the background.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:16 PM, Fedya said:

In the Cool of the Day (1963).

Jane Fonda plays a woman best known for wearing a hideous black wig.  She's married to publisher/editor Arthur Hill.  His colleague Peter Finch comes over from London to visit, and somehow it gets suggested that the two couples go on a vacation together.  Finch has a deeply unhappy wife in Angela Lansbury, who blames her husband for a car crash that killed their son and left her scarred.  Not to be outdone, Fonda has some sort of chronic lung issue.

Anyhow, Fonda and Hill are set to go to Europe when Hill's dad gets ill, leaving Fonda to go alone.  In one of the most surprising plot twists (not) in a movie, Finch and Fonda start developing feelings for each other that intensify as they and Lansbury travel around Greece.

Unfortunately, the story is pallid, and even the cinematography of the Greek locations seems less than it could have been.  From what I've read, Fonda and Lansbury have had nothing good to say about this movie, and it's not difficult to see why.

4/10

inthecooloftheday3.png

Hard to believe this dud was produced by John Houseman! I saw it recently on TCM after not seeing it in a long time, and it's pretty bad. Angela livens up some of the movie, but she's not in it enough.

• Like 1

Hora de dormir Bonzo (1951) YouTube

In Ronald Reagan’s only Spanish film, he plays a psychology professor who sets out to prove that people are a product of their environment rather than their heredity. He obviously never saw The Three Stooges episode with the same theme, which ended in tragedy as everybody threw pies at each other. To prove his theory, Reagan takes home a chimp named Bonzo, plays “papa” and then hires Diana Lynn to act as “mama.” Results are very predictable, but also very funny. Bonzo (real name Herschel Bonzofsky) steals the show with his antics. A good way to kill about 83 minutes.

0FV2SgJ.png

• Haha 6
16 hours ago, Swithin said:

House of the Damned (1963). Directed by Maury Dexter, written by Harry Spalding. (Not related to the 1996 film of the same name.)

I didn't know this film, which was on Fox Movie Channel a few days ago. There's not much to this haunted house in California movie, but it's well photographed and does have a few good frights and a fair amount of tension (and a few loose ends).

Well-photographed probably comes in part from the scenes that were filmed at the Greystone Mansion.  Maury Dexter also filmed another movie there, The Day Mars Invaded Earth, which is surprisingly good considering the sort of budget Dexter had for his movies.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Nice visuals, as in male rompers.  Surprised that didn't become a thing.

224899856_10159459187044489_813788355942

Saw this one piece romper catastrophe in the Men's (yes-MEN'S) department of Target. In case you already closed your eyes-the US flag is in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head. 

• Haha 3
17 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Sherlock jr poster.jpg

My first time seeing this. It was on TCM very late recently, I hoped it would be On Demand but it wasn't. It is included on IMDB's Top 250 movies, so I decided to watch on Youtube. I didn't laugh as much I thought I would, but the stunts and special effects are amazing, even today. I think my favorite scene was when he jumps out the window into the dress disguise. I also admired the sequence where he steps into the movie screen and the scene keeps changing.

I too enjoyed this film and especially the scene where he steps into the screen.  Jeff Daniels later repeated this stunt in reverse - by stepping out of the screen - in The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985).

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

From the last few days:

The Many Saints of Newark (2021) Was waiting for this for months. Found it to be decent. Wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't a fan of the Sopranos (but really, whose gonna watch a mafia film that isn't) because there's no built in interest in the characters.  The actors nailed the mannerisms and speech of the characters they're taking on but i though Tony's character seemed a bit soft.

White Zombie (1932) Liked it, but probably won't be watching it again anytime soon.

I Married A Witch (1942) Silly but entertaining.  The love story is a bit unbelievable where the main character, minutes from marrying another, decides he loves the girl he met the night before. Clearly this is an inspiration for Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie.

The Glass Wall (1953) Liked it.  Enough has been said on this film in the Noir thread.

Thunder Road (1958) Fun famous B film for Robert Mitchum.  Wasn't expecting the ending.

Gladiator (2000) Wifey's pick for Sunday night.  Watched this film he first time in a theater in Rome near the coliseum.   Good film.

Kansas City Bomber (1972) Disappointed.  Won't lie, i watched this film to see Raquel Welch in action on skates and all i got was reinforcement to my suspicions that my hometown of Portland was always trashy.

Haven't as of yet seen THE MANY SAINTS OF NEWARK. So far it's gotten mixed reviews. 

WHITE ZOMBIE is actually quite good. Bela is creepy in here.

I'd say I MARRIED A WITCH  was more the inspiration for BEWITCHED than I DREAM OF JEANNIE. It's an enjoyable little gem though, and Cecil Kellaway steals the show whenever he's on screen.

THUNDER ROAD.....you can't go wrong with Robert Mitchum.

GLADIATOR.....the SPARTACUS of the 21st century, but it stands out on its own. Always been one of my favorites.

KANSAS CITY BOMBER.....not a movie I would watch over and over again, but still a good watch once in awhile.

• Like 3

Sparrows (1926)

Dunno why, but for me, when I think silent film, I think of the big three - Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyde.  And screwball comedy...  But, oh my gosh, this film was amazing.  Sparrows is dramatic film about a very serious subject, baby farms.  Baby farms were basically where orphans were imprisoned for slave labor or private adoptions for cash.  While the film exposes practices of the baby farms of the time, it also carries a movie plot along with it - a kidnapping.  The film stars Mary Pickford.  Similar to my opening comment, when I think of Mary Pickford, I think of Chaplin.  But she carried her own weight.  She not only stars in this film, but she was also the film's producer.  We should also note that she was also one of the four who started United Artists, along with D.W. Griffith,  Charlie Chaplin, and Douglas Fairbanks.  IMDb gives this film a 7.3; well deserved if not underrated.   TCM's version of the film includes a prologue where the following text is shared with the viewer....

"Baby Farms" were where desperate, unwed, or deserted mothers were paid to leave their children who in turn were sold to adoptive parents or as slave labor.  By the 1920s, baby farms were beginning to be exposed for the horrific places they could be, and Sparrows played a part in that.  The Dickensian melodrama helped to increase pressure to pass child welfare laws and restrict private adoptions.

Sparrows features a supporting cast of eleven children, all under the age of ten.  Mary Pickford, the film's producer as well as star, put the children on salary several weeks before shooting began so that they could get accustomed to the "swamp" set as well as toughen their feet, since they are barefoot until the final scene of the picture.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

Sparrows (1926)

Dunno why, but for me, when I think silent film, I think of the big three - Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyde.  And screwball comedy...  But, oh my gosh, this film was amazing.  Sparrows is dramatic film about a very serious subject, baby farms.  Baby farms were basically where orphans were imprisoned for slave labor or private adoptions for cash.  While the film exposes practices of the baby farms of the time, it also carries a movie plot along with it - a kidnapping.  The film stars Mary Pickford.  Similar to my opening comment, when I think of Mary Pickford, I think of Chaplin.  But she carried her own weight.  She not only stars in this film, but she was also the film's producer.  We should also note that she was also one of the four who started United Artists, along with D.W. Griffith,  Charlie Chaplin, and Douglas Fairbanks.  IMDb gives this film a 7.3; well deserved if not underrated.   TCM's version of the film includes a prologue where the following text is shared with the viewer....

"Baby Farms" were where desperate, unwed, or deserted mothers were paid to leave their children who in turn were sold to adoptive parents or as slave labor.  By the 1920s, baby farms were beginning to be exposed for the horrific places they could be, and Sparrows played a part in that.  The Dickensian melodrama helped to increase pressure to pass child welfare laws and restrict private adoptions.

Sparrows features a supporting cast of eleven children, all under the age of ten.  Mary Pickford, the film's producer as well as star, put the children on salary several weeks before shooting began so that they could get accustomed to the "swamp" set as well as toughen their feet, since they are barefoot until the final scene of the picture.

I was pleasantly surprised it was very good and the best acting I have seen by Pickford.

• Like 1

I Madman.jpg

I, Madman (1989) DVD 8/10

An aspiring actress and book store clerk finds an old book where the crazed character comes to life.

One of the more underrated horror films of the 1980s. It is a treat for fans of older B horror movies and pulp magazines like Weird Tales. The lead actress Jenny Wright has a classic actress look, reminds me a bit of Lizabeth Scott. The villain is scary looking, played by Randall William Cook, who also did the visual effects. He would later work with Peter Jackson on "The Lord Of The Rings" movies. His character here looks like Gollum with a black cloak. There is some impressive stop motion animation with a strange half animal creature.

There are some 1980s cliches with some blood and gore and the actress character having a cop boyfriend. But the striking part of it is the incredible sets of dingy apartments and a dusty bookshop. There is a great scene set in the 1950s with incredible foggy atmosphere and suspense. It captures the seedy part of Hollywood quite well also.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Hora de dormir Bonzo (1951) YouTube

In Ronald Reagan’s only Spanish film, he plays a psychology professor who sets out to prove that people are a product of their environment rather than their heredity.

...I take it you were joking about TCM's audio-default problems?   (Don't get the channel, so wouldn't know.)

I can't imagine people who weren't born in the 80's or didn't live through the Reagan presidency not being sick of Bedtime for Bonzo jokes either.

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

224899856_10159459187044489_813788355942

Saw this one piece romper catastrophe in the Men's (yes-MEN'S) department of Target. In case you already closed your eyes-the US flag is in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head. 

One of the early James Bond films has Connery hanging out at the pool in a romper.  My wife and I always laugh.  Maybe it was Goldfinger.

• Haha 1
On 10/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Sherlock jr poster.jpg

A film i can never turn away from if it is on.  Number 4 in my personal all-time Buster list.

• Like 2

Amazing Mister X, 1948
1 hr.17 min.  Directed by Bernard Vorhaus  Starring Turhan Bey, Lynn Bari, Cathy O'Donnell

Amazingmrx.jpg

Recommended by Eddie Muller as an underrated B noir that would be perfect as the bottom billed feature with Nightmare Alley.  A Horror/Noir thriller and Amazon had it for rent or purchase. Since the purchase price was only $6.00 I pulled the trigger, not knowing the horror was with the print. Extremely grainy and dark, with pops, jumps and muddy sound. Given the glowing reviews there must be a better print out there which would make all the difference, so don't waste your money on this one. I wrongly assumed anyone selling it would have the best version available.

The print in the public domain on You Tube actually looks a bit better than the one Amazon is selling. 

The standard plot makes Nightmare Alley look like Citizen Kane, but the acting is good and the ambience is spooky enough, taking place primarily in a mansion by the sea.  Lots of crashing waves, steep cliffs, a mysterious stranger with a squawking black bird, one dead husband and two rich and vulnerable sisters. The charlatan only fools the women 'cause let's just say he's got a magic touch. A suspicious boyfriend hires a debunker like the Amazing Randi, who shows off his old magician trick by barfing up some playing cards, and we're off to the races.

.amazingMisterXbbb.jpg.a39a071a43de88dc0a8332436d12b856.jpg..amazingMisterXc.jpg.a79469a7c6f645e7555eaa394167aa7b.jpg

His bird is actually trained to fetch cigarettes, among other things.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Amazing Mister X, 1948
1 hr.17 min.  Directed by Bernard Vorhaus  Starring Turhan Bey, Lynn Bari, Cathy O'Donnell

Recommended by Eddie Muller as an underrated B noir that would be perfect as the bottom billed feature with Nightmare Alley.  A Horror/Noir thriller and Amazon had it for rent or purchase. Since the purchase price was only $6.00 I pulled the trigger, not knowing the horror was with the print. Extremely grainy and dark, with pops, jumps and muddy sound. Given the glowing reviews there must be a better print out there which would make all the difference, so don't waste your money on this one. I wrongly assumed anyone selling it would have the best version available.

The standard plot makes Nightmare Alley look like Citizen Kane, but the acting is good and the ambience is spooky enough, taking place primarily in a mansion by the sea.  Lots of crashing waves, steep cliffs, a mysterious stranger with a squawking black bird, one dead husband and two rich and vulnerable sisters. The charlatan only fools the women 'cause let's just say he's got a magic touch. A suspicious boyfriend hires a debunker like the Amazing Randi, who shows off his old magician trick by barfing up some playing cards, and we're off to the races...

I would like to see this film especially since I'm a fan of the two leading ladies,  Lynn Bari and Cathy O'Donnell,  but I do wonder about the performance of Turhan Bey.

Based on what I have seen,  he is often the weakest actor in a film. 

1 hour ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

What's 1 thru 3, please?

1. Our Hospitality

2. The General (but really i don't know i can definitively like of these over the other, they're both perfect IMO)

3. The Navigator

4. Sherlock Jr.

5. Battling Butler

This is my top 5 for only his features though.  So many great shorts.  One Week would probably be my number 3 if we did include shorts.

• Like 1