Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Phantom Creeps  1939 Universal. Directed by Ford Beebe Saul Goodkind. Bela Lugosi Dorothy Arnold Regis Toomey Edward Van Sloan. Originally a 12 chapters serial of 265 minutes-no less. A truncated 78 minutes version was released to theaters.Almost impossible to follow,Lugosi is a mad scientist .He has invented a weapon wanted by both  sides of power.Hilariously bad, you will discover how the Hindenburg exploded with real footage,there is also much footage from other Universal serials and movies,actually in a few scenes, Lugosi is in a costume but it is actually Boris Karloff in it from another movie! Beautiful Dorothy Arnold married Joe Di Maggio the same year and quit the business. 78-79 minutes bad quality prints only. 5/10

• Like 1

The Passenger 1975 MGM .Produced by Carlo Ponti. Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni. Jack Nicholson Maria Schneider Ian Hendry. A foreign reporter on assignment switches identify with his dead neighbor in a Spanish hotel. Without knowing what he is getting into. A good movie not for everybody's taste,excellent cinematography as usual with Antonioni. Filmed in Spain,England,Germany ,Algeria.Nicholson's personnal favorite movie of his career ,he bought the video & dvd rights from MGM  in the early 80's. 126 minutes. 7.5/10 

PASSENGER.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, EricJ said:

"Mustaphaliiq!  Mustaphaliiq!"  😆

On the YouTube reactor-verse, the young fans have latched onto showoff requests for "Oo, it's October, you have to do Carry On Screaming!"  Probably because it's the only one that got US distribution, through Columbia, for being an easily-sold drive-in horror comedy, the only one that still randomly surfaces on Sony streaming channels, and hence the only one even most showoff fans even know exist.  (Even the ones who watched "Are You Being Served?" for years.)

For those who do know the rest of the series exists, Kyber is considered up in the Top 5 of the series, not least for that whole dinner scene at the end.  If it's got Kenneth Williams and Joan Sims, that's the minimum requirement for a good CO.

When I was a kid, a local theater had a double bill of Carry On Nurse and Make Mine Mink. I was hooked.

Two things missing from Carry On Up the Khyber, but I guess I can forgive the film for their omission: the usual Carry On theme over the credits is replaced by a more stately theme, suitable to the British Raj; and Hattie Jacques.

Just saw GO CHASE YOURSELF ('38)again this morning on TCM.

Yet ANOTHER movie involving LUCILLE BALL and a trailer!  ;) 

Fair enough comedy,   but a little bit of JOE PENNER  is far too much IMHO.

Sepiatone

22 hours ago, Swithin said:
"You mean to say that a native knows that you were wearing underpants? Good God, this is more serious than I thought!”

Carry On Up the Khyber (1968)

The 3rd Foot and Mouth Regiment, commanded by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond (Sid James), is responsible for the area around the Khyber Pass, in British India. The natives, governed by the Khasi of Kalabar, are terrified of the prestigious British army unit, who are said not to wear anything under their kilts. One timid soldier, Private Widdle (Charles Hawtrey), is prone to chill, and, going against the rules, wears underwear. As he is patrolling the Pass solo, he is approached by Bungit Din (Bernard Bresslaw), a fearsome Burpa. Widdle faints. Din uses his sword to lift the prone Widdle’s kilt and is shocked and amused to find that Widdle is wearing underwear. He takes the underwear to the Khasi, his leader (Kenneth Williams), who knows that now that the secret is out, the natives will no longer fear the Brits. 

This hilarious low-brow movie is one of the best of the divine Carry On series, though, these days, it would no doubt meet with disapproval from the woke brigade. The puns are brilliant, the characters sublimely inane, and the sexual innuendo omnipresent. I’ve seen this film many times, and I never tire of it.

In the end, the regiment lifts its skirts and scares the natives away.

Kenneth Williams to Sid James: "And how is our most gracious Majesty Queen Waterloo?"

s-l400.jpg

p41649_i_v8_aa.jpg
Kenneth Williams, Bernard Bresslaw

MV5BZGMyOGUwNTYtMmIzZS00YWU3LTk0NDUtMzFj
Sid James, Joan Sims

Carry-On-Up-the-Khyber-Charles-Hawtrey-F
Charles Hawtrey

angela-douglas-kenneth-williams-carry-on

3d149b4f2a7656375e249ba0dededf97.jpg

I had never heard of this series of films until i started having Christmases in the UK and every year they seem to have a marathon of these for a few weeks straight.  Haven't seen this one but will try to check it out.  I did watch a few of the On the Buses films this last year and i thought it would be fun to write a script that combines them both and call it Carry On the Buses.

Two from yesterday:

Nightmare Alley (1947) Haven't seen many sideshow films that were any good and i did like this one.  The story felt a bit unresolved and i actually thought it was going to end with SPOILER the main character left being a soused 'Geek'  and living a horrible existence, but meeting back up with his young wife seemed to put him on a path of possible redemption although he is still wanted by police and the psychologist who played him out of thousands gets away with it.  I guess the moral of the story we are left with is don't reach too high in life? Perhaps the story would've been better if it ended 5 minutes earlier.

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981) I like the 1946 film (probably in my top 20 noir list) but didn't care for this one.  Seems like a pointless re-make and none femme fatales were very desirable IMO and supposedly they really tried to push the eroticism in this.  The ending seemed weaker as well.  I read that there are two other adaptations out there (i believe both are foreign productions) so that might be interesting, but this one didn't offer anything new for me.

I am curious, while Jack Nicholson is often lauded for his acting, do women find him believable as a romantic lead?  I personally don't even find his acting to be that great and think he can only give the same performance and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Still love many of his films (and i should add i was born in the same hospital in Salem, Oregon where Cuckoo's Nest was filmed).

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

I am curious, while Jack Nicholson is often lauded for his acting, do women find him believable as a romantic lead?  I personally don't even find his acting to be that great and think he can only give the same performance and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Still love many of his films (and i should add i was born in the same hospital in Salem, Oregon where Cuckoo's Nest was filmed).

I think it's kind of inarguable that he pairs really well with actresses and brings out the best in them- for each of his three Oscar wins, his female costar also won an Oscar for the same film (Helen Hunt, Shirley Maclaine and Louise Fletcher.)

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think it's kind of inarguable that he pairs really well with actresses and brings out the best in them- for each of his three Oscar wins, his female costar also won an Oscar for the same film (Helen Hunt, Shirley Maclaine and Louise Fletcher.)

Good point.

2 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981) I like the 1946 film (probably in my top 20 noir list) but didn't care for this one.  Seems like a pointless re-make and none femme fatales were very desirable IMO and supposedly they really tried to push the eroticism in this.  The ending seemed weaker as well.  I read that there are two other adaptations out there (i believe both are foreign productions) so that might be interesting, but this one didn't offer anything new for me.

My biggest problem with the 1981 film is that justice was only half served in the ending.

It ends with Cora's death and Frank weeping over her body. In the 1946 original and the novel, Frank is arrested, tried, convicted and eventually executed for her 'murder'. A true case of karma coming back to bite the both of them in the butt.

The 1981 version of simply ending it with Frank being devastated over Cora's dying is completely unsatisfying. According to some sources there's supposed to be a car siren far away indicating that Frank's goose would be cooked, but I've seen the film a few times, and I can hear no siren. Even if there is one, it still doesn't make up for the shallowness of the climax. 

Justice needed to be dished out against the both of them for their cold-blooded murder of Nick. Something tells me that Bob Rafelson (the1981 film's director) didn't have a clue as to what the original meaning of the title of James Cain's story meant.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I had never heard of this series of films until i started having Christmases in the UK and every year they seem to have a marathon of these for a few weeks straight.  Haven't seen this one but will try to check it out.  I did watch a few of the On the Buses films this last year and i thought it would be fun to write a script that combines them both and call it Carry On the Buses.

There's a selection of VOD on Amazon Prime, and if you dig deep enough, CO Cleo, Cowboy, and Jack (= Royal Navy/Trafalgar) sometimes surface on free streaming at random.

Back when they were small time, Hulu had a random vintage-Rank selection of the first five B&W titles, plus Spying & Screaming, but they're too big now to bother with those.  There's also Britain and Columbus, but one was at the disintegrating end of the series, and the other was a nostalgia revival, and best avoided.

And again, the long-running "Are You Being Served?" Britcom is an almost lawsuit-worthy homage/"Carry On Shopping" fan-fiction, with their own doppelgängers of Jim Dale, Joan Sims, Charles Hawtrey, Kenneth Connor and Barbara Windsor, and arguably better jokes.  (Or at least marginally less shameless, for BBC standards.  😅 )  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I don't know if I'd mention being born in what many only know as a "nuthouse".  ;)   But I get that.

Here in the Detroit area, there was a sprawling collection of buildings that  Became the Wayne County General Hospital,  where my brother had his tonsils removed toward the late '50's.  The complex was renamed the Wayne County General hospital in 1948, after years of being known as a complex including a mental health and psychiatric hospital as well.  in the early '60's a new Wayne County General hospital was built a few hundred yards down Merriman Road from the old facility, which then became entirely a psychiatric facility and renamed Eloise.  Only the old main structure still stands as the mental health facility closed operations in the late '80's and the old hospital structures were razed.   And now, even that new structure the county hospital moved into down the road closed in the '90's sometime and is no longer in use. 

As for Jack in "Postman"......   No woman I know who saw that version said they'd be willing to risk their marriages over the not at all attractive(to them) Nicholson.   Especially if they looked even remotely like Jessica Lange!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Don't tell me nobody watched those exciting circus pictures yesterday.  Let's see. There was The Dark Tower, Carnival Story and The Big Circus. I had myself a big laugh when I saw Big Top Vinnie Price as the ringmaster. 

I'm gonna look for The Dark Tower again. That was pretty good.

Carnival Story was a bit of a surprise to me in that I wondered what made Anne Baxter sign on to such a film after having won an Oscar. Maybe it was the location or that hunky Steve Cochran. I enjoyed it though. Good Saturday afternoon fodder. 

19 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Don't tell me nobody watched those exciting circus pictures yesterday.  Let's see. There was The Dark Tower, Carnival Story and The Big Circus. I had myself a big laugh when I saw Big Top Vinnie Price as the ringmaster. 

I'm gonna look for The Dark Tower again. That was pretty good.

Carnival Story was a bit of a surprise to me in that I wondered what made Anne Baxter sign on to such a film after having won an Oscar. Maybe it was the location or that hunky Steve Cochran. I enjoyed it though. Good Saturday afternoon fodder. 

you know, i saw the CIRCUS/CARNIVAL LINE-UP yestersay and was kinda "meh."

WHERE ARE THE HORROR MOVIES AT? IT'S THE 16TH AND THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN A HANDFUL!

23 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

T

The Postman Always Rings Twice (  I read that there are two other adaptations out there (i believe both are foreign productions) so that might be interesting, but this one didn't offer anything new for me.

The very first one is titled ,Le Dernier Tournant with Michel Simon done in 1939, very good, reviewed earlier this  year in the favorite foreign films forum

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

you know, i saw the CIRCUS/CARNIVAL LINE-UP yestersay and was kinda "meh."

WHERE ARE THE HORROR MOVIES AT? IT'S THE 16TH AND THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN A HANDFUL!

Oct. 29-31.  In the Now Playing email, but already deleted mine.  32 movies if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

disclaimer: if a discussion of GAY THINGS makes you uncomfortable, skip this post.

So, I have been trying to get away from watching episodes of DARK SHADOWS on TUBI...Unfortunately, the offerings on TCM have not much interested me since the GUTTING/REMODELING a little over a month ago...

THUSLY I have discovered a stunning offering of LGBTQ FILMS and DOCUMENTARIES of the last 15 years on TUBI (an online free add-on, which I really have to recommend as they have a real trove of ALL SORTS OF MOVIES AND TV SHOWS, both classic AND contemporary.)

I have watched a handful...and by that, I mean mostly tolerated them until they got too boring and fastforwarded to the sex scenes (file the paperwork and SUE ME.) Most of them are utterly dreadful- either in story or acting (although, I will take the time to recommend to any who are interested the film OPEN CAM, which is a GAY EROTIC THRILLER a la CINEMAX but with SOME REALLY GRAPHIC SEX SCENES...It's also an INCREDIBLY STUPID MOVIE, so much so, it is rather entertaining....honestly, i wish i could have watched it in a room full of EXTRA SALTY GAYS as i can only imagine the howls of laughter and remarks.)

here is the link for the imdb page for OPEN CAM in case any of you are interested [and I imagine some of you are now]:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480257/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

but i'm here today to give credit where credit is due, and I just wanted to give a shout-out to a film that genuinely stunned me in that it was quite well-acted and quite well-written and actually so good, I did not fastforward even once...(and there were no sex scenes!)

FOURTH MAN OUT (2015)- is a charming film, not perfect, but really, to see a small-town, gay-themed rom com told competently and engagingly is such a rare treat, everyone involved should be praised.

I am genuinely surprised that in the six years since this film has come out, that no one in the cast has graduated to next-level stardom, even EVAN TODD, a Broadway actor who plays the extremely likeable lead.

See the source image

I did not expect to be as charmed as I was and truly, I heartily recommend it to any of you who are interested.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Oct. 29-31.

thank you.

I'm one of those people who goes ballistic when the CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS take over the LOWE'S GARDEN CENTER in October, but I feel like the minute SEPTEMBER rolls around, it should be NOTHING BUT WALL TO WALL HORROR ON TV!!!!!

• Like 2
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

thank you.

I'm one of those people who goes ballistic when the CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS take over the LOWE'S GARDEN CENTER in October, but I feel like the minute SEPTEMBER rolls around, ti should be NOTHING BUT WALL TO WALL HORROR ON TV!!!!!

Went shopping today and every store had at least some Christmas stuff out already.   Don't know where you are, but Lowe's and similar stores replacing lawn and garden with Christmas in early October around here (The South) stinks.  People are still mowing grass, planting shrubs and trees and so forth on Christmas, but hard to find what you need.  If they have it, has been moved to some dark corner where Haunts might get you.

• Thanks 1
Just now, ElCid said:

Went shopping today and every store had at least some Christmas stuff out already.   Don't know where you are, but Lowe's and similar stores replacing lawn and garden with Christmas in early October around here (The South) stinks.  People are still mowing grass, planting shrubs and trees and so forth on Christmas, but hard to find what you need.  If they have it, has been moved to some dark corner where Haunts might get you.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHH!!!!!

God, I just wanna run around with a SHISH-KEBAB skewer puncturing the inflatable snow globes and GIANT SANTAS...

• Haha 2

Bigger_Than_Life_poster.jpeg

Bigger Than Life, 1956  1 hr. 35 min.  Directed by Nicholas Ray  Produced by James Mason
Written by Cyril Hume, Richard Maibaum, but script was entirely re-worked by Ray and Mason.
Starring James Mason, Walter Matthau, Barbara Rush

Synopsis: A seriously ill schoolteacher becomes dependent on a "miracle" drug that begins to affect his sanity.

Tagline: Portrait of a man with a habit!

Contains spoilers.

This takes the prize for being the weirdest movie in Mason's filmography, if not Ray's. That's not a negative necessarily, and I looked forward to it.   

Upon reading an article "Ten Feet Tall" about a man who became unhinged on cortisone, apparently Mason quickly grasped the opportunities for Oscar-bait emoting.  Mix in Nicholas Ray's medical expertise, and the story began to take shape. Doctors are basically gangsters who use people as lab rats. 

Instead of typical hospital garb, Ray has them dress in dark suits and ties. They run in small packs looking sinister. I'm not particularly fond of doctors myself, but I can't take this seriously as a "message" film when the premise is so distorted and paranoid.   At any rate by the time the movie opened the drug in question had been reformulated.

Worst of all, it's not enjoyable in a "so bad it's good" way.  It's just bad. I can't even make fun of it properly.

At least Mason is perfection as Ed Avery, school teacher and all around nice guy...until he starts cortisone treatments for some ailment, which turns him into a Mr. Hyde. He's been over-medicating himself by forging prescriptions in between browbeating his young son and insulting his wife.  He even corners and threatens the milk man for excessive bottle rattling. And then he starts planning the murder-suicide of his family.   

What's Walter Matthau doing in this?  He may have been asking himself the same. He's rather wasted as a concerned friend until his final heroic scene. As Ed chases his son with a scissors,  Walter breaks down the Avery's door and tackles Ed in a life-and-death struggle as the wife looks on, frozen in fear.  There's no humor here but for the dark kind we must mine ourselves.

Best Lines of Ed Avery:

"It's a shame I didn't marry someone who was my intellectual equal." -  to his wife.

"What do we call the person who carries his childish instincts into adulthood?  We say he's 'arrested'. We call him a 'moron'."
Maybe this line had special meaning for Ray, but little to do with cortisone.

"God was wrong."

"The fact remains that your daughter is on an intellectual level with the African guerilla." - to a parent at the PTA conference.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, ElCid said:

At least this year, we get to blame the Supply Chain, for Best Buy saying "It's Black Friday all month, starting this October!"

Fortunately, I only have a few people to shop for, and I can go ahead and ignore that in blissful denial, like I couldn't with the virus.  🙉

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TUBI (an online free add-on, which I really have to recommend as they have a real trove of ALL SORTS OF MOVIES AND TV SHOWS, both classic AND contemporary.)

I've just discovered Tubi, too.  I actually found more movies I'm interested in  there than on my free Netflix month.  Yes, I am a tightwad.

On topic, I noticed they have "Carol," adapted from  the book by Patricia Highsmith,  "The Price of Salt."  I always liked the book and I loved the film and will watch it again now that I can see it for my favorite price.  I thought it was good, not only for the story and Cate Blanchet's performance, but the mid-century clothes and sets.  They filmed it in my own area, Cincinnati, because they still have some old department stores left for the 1950's scenes.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

I've just discovered Tubi, too.  I actually found more movies I'm interested in  there than on my free Netflix month.  Yes, I am a tightwad.

I used to think Tubi was a low-rent service, and only went wallowing there when I wanted to find psychotronic B-movies on Saturday night (ie., "If Amazon is that mom-and-pop VHS rental with the rare tapes on the back shelves, Tubi is that dirty one by the gas station with the horror, WWE and Sports Illustrated tapes"), but they've been getting better--

They're still as random as Amazon Prime, but the random has been getting more interesting:  They've always been my go-to stop for finding Shout Factory's streaming titles (MST3K, rare cult reruns), but a handful of Universal back-catalog movies (Duck Soup?  The 30's Mummy?  Pre-rehab Richard Pryor comedies?) show up occasionally, and random "real" movies show up briefly every month and again, as Tubi wants to pretend it's one of the big-boy services.  

Haven't looked at Netflix in months (and only came back when The Movies That Made Us had another season), but I'm having fun cleaning off my Tubi list.  The fact that they got both Fantasy Island series away from Sony, in promotional preparation for the Fox reboot, along with vintage Jeannie reruns, and some Hanna-Barbera, including the entire run of The Flintstones, away from HBOMax, helps considerably.  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a Tubi fan. They show some really wacky 'underground' movies, compared to TCM's pathetic Underground programming. I liked that "gas station" analogy. They also have rare, high brow movies such as Corridor of Mirrors.

• Like 1