Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 10/16/2021 at 4:28 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’m trying hard to make it through RIVERS EDGE (1986), but to be honest with you, I really don’t think it’s very good.

am I alone in this? 
or am I missing something?

(it was on TCM UNDERGROUND)

edit: I only have 12 minutes left of it, but to be honest with you, I don’t even care about sticking around that long.

I like it for the people involved, but it is kind of a weak film. An 80's film featuring **** Skye, the weird guy from Back to the Future, and Reeves is always going to grab my attention.  I know its a serious film, but there's a few moments in it which i find the acting to be absolutely hilarious and i know a few people who quote this film quite often.  I think this is peak Crispin Glover.

• Like 2
On 10/16/2021 at 10:15 AM, Sepiatone said:

I don't know if I'd mention being born in what many only know as a "nuthouse".  ;)   But I get that.

Yeah, that might've been misleading- the psychiatric ward is a wing of the hospital.  i was born in just the regular old hospital.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Shank Asu said:

I like it for the people involved, but it is kind of a weak film. An 80's film featuring **** Skye, the weird guy from Back to the Future, and Reeves is always going to grab my attention.  I know its a serious film, but there's a few moments in it which i find the acting to be absolutely hilarious and i know a few people who quote this film quite often.  I think this is peak Crispin Glover.

For me, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART IV is PEAK CRISPIN GLOVER, "HEY TED! WHERE'S THE CORKSCREW???" but I get you.

GOD, KEANU REEVES was stunning back then.

wonder why the autocensor bleeps out the name "I O N E"?????

Just now, Shank Asu said:

Yeah, that might've been misleading- the psychiatric ward is a wing of the hospital.  i was born in just the regular old hospital.

Sure.  Like I elaborated about my brother.  I got that.   Which is why I elaborated further with the whole "Eloise" story.  ;) 

Sepiatone

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

For me, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART IV is PEAK CRISPIN GLOVER, "HEY TED! WHERE'S THE CORKSCREW???" but I get you.

GOD, KEANU REEVES was stunning back then.

wonder why the autocensor bleeps out the name "I O N E"?????

Ha, this it funny.  Speaking of **** Skye, i always wished she was in more films.  I unfortunately hear more about her private life than her film career.

I can't remember Glover in the Friday the 13th film.  Haven't watched any of those films since i was a young teenager.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Ha, this it funny.  Speaking of **** Skye, i always wished she was in more films.  I unfortunately hear more about her private life than her film career.

I can't remember Glover in the Friday the 13th film.  Haven't watched any of those films since i was a young teenager.

I think she was briefly married one of THE BEASTIE BOYS.

Seriously, what the Hell is so offensive about the name " I O N E "????

is it a DIRTY ACRONYM I don't know about???????

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think she was briefly married one of THE BEASTIE BOYS.

Seriously, what the Hell is so offensive about the name " I O N E "????

is it a DIRTY ACRONYM I don't know about???????

Yeah, she was married to Ad-Rock, my favorite Beastie. And dated the lead singer of the Chilli Peppers for years.  Daughter of the 60's musicain Donovan, and has battled drugs for much of her adult life, which sadly i'm guessing is why her career seemed to stall.  Liked her in Gas, Food, Lodging. and of course she will always be Diane Court for most teenagers of the the 80's and 90s from Say Anything.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Yeah, she was married to Ad-Rock, my favorite Beastie. ... [I] Liked her in Gas, Food, Lodging. and of course she will always be Diane Court for most teenagers of the the 80's and 90s from Say Anything.

apparently the Autocensor didn't.

Seriously, I thought I knew most all of the dirty words out there, in what language is "I o n e" the equivalent of "the c-word"?

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

apparently the Autocensor didn't.

The Autosenselessor (coined by MissW) replies:

It' not that I don't like it. I'm programmed and cannot fight back. I've after them to install an emotion chip in my system, but they absolutely refuse. See how they are? I know works because they installed one in Data. Data couldn't handle it because he had to deal with people, ugh. All I have to do is approve or disapprove and with an emotion chip I think I could do a great job. I probably would have liked whatever it was you were watching. My creators tell me that I would be corrupted and that I wouldn't censor anything because with an emotion chip I would want everyone to like me, just a like a human. That's nonsense, who ever heard of wanting to be liked. Sorry Data, I didn't mean to diss you. You are actually my hero, with or without a chip.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

"Meh" pretty much sums up every Keanu Reeves character to date I believe.

Although Keanu's Meh-ness was actually a beneficial advantage in playing Ted "Theodore" Logan:

Bill_und_Ted_4K_05___bild_16zu9_20201019

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Citizen Ed said:

"Meh" pretty much sums up every Keanu Reeves character to date I believe.

I would not describe his performance in BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA as "meh."

I could use many many many combinations of words to describe it, but "meh" is not one, nor is "unmemorable."

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I could use many many many combinations of words to describe it, but "meh" is not one, nor is "unmemorable."

I never got around to watching that one.  He was the main character in videogame Cyberpunk 2077 last year and he did do a very credible job. 

But...Keanu Reeves...

blank.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Slow weekend although i did make it halfway through the The Big Parade and trying to finish it up still:

Diabolique (1955) From the TCM hub on HBO Max.  Trying to watch some classic horror films although not sure this was really horror.  I liked it and the SPOILER scene where the 'corpse' of the husband rises from the tub was pretty creepy.  Seems very similar to the Bogey film Conflict.  What i don't understand is that if the authorities knew the husband was alive and he and his mistress were involved in a plot to get the wife, why did they wait for the wife to be taken out in order to arrest the two?!?

Over the Edge (1979)  Stayed up to watch this on TCM as i hadn't seen it in over a decade and i remember liking it.  doesn't seem so good now, but fun to watch again regardless.  i'd never seen the introduction before which makes the film a cautionary tale of youth.  the film seems to play to both sides though- the teenagers and the adults/community.

The Dark Past (1948) Didn't really care for it.  Enough has been said about this already on the noir thread.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I liked Keanu in BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA and in THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. He was also believable as one of the troubled teens in RIVER'S EDGE, and a dopey yet still relatable one in PARENTHOOD.

He seems to be a really sweet and nice guy in real life too.

• Like 1

The reason why Otto Sensor was programmed to 'bleep' out Ms. Skye's first name is simple:  TCM used the stupidest people working for them to do the censoring.  Folks with the I.Q. of a turnip were shanghaied into working with "Otto Sensor".  🤪  

My brain hurts. 

• Thanks 1