Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

15 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

[KEANU REEVES] seems to be a really sweet and nice guy in real life too.

when i lived in HOLLYWOOD, I actually found myself rubbing elbows with with some big players  here and there, and I heard multiple accounts of what a nice and generous guy he is in real life.

• Like 2

Thunderrock.jpg   Thunder Rock,  1942

Director Roy Boulting

Starring Michael Redgrave, James Mason in supporting role
112 minutes

A lighthouse full of ghosts and the perils of fascism..

Very strange yet interesting film with Michael Redgrave as Charleston, a remote lighthouse keeper on Lake Michigan during WWII.  When his employers become concerned that he hasn't cashed a paycheck in 5 months, they send Mason in his seaplane to investigate. Redgrave is fine except for the hallucinations.  A group of immigrants whose ship went down 90 years before have been keeping him company. 

Thunder Rock was made in '42 as the war still raged, so it must have worked as an entertaining propaganda piece. We learn through flashbacks that Charleston was a famous journalist in the 1930's who tried to warn people about the true intentions of Germany and Japan.  Splicing real footage of Hitler & His Henchmen at a rally with Charleston in the audience was pretty seamless and effective. When Hitler occupies the Sudetenland and no one seems to care, he becomes so disgusted with humanity that he gives up, finds the lighthouse posting, and forms meaningful relationships with imaginary friends. But can he be brought back into the fight?

A big hit with critics and audiences alike.  7.5/10

Full movie free on You Tube

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

when i lived in HOLLYWOOD, I actually found myself rubbing elbows with with some big players  here and there, and I heard multiple accounts of what a nice and generous guy he is in real life.

I recently watched a YouTube video where the channel listed the Top 20 most generous and well-liked celebrities, and Keanu Reeves was on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I recently watched a YouTube video where the channel listed the Top 20 most generous and well-liked celebrities, and Keanu Reeves was on the list.

And now on the news tonight, we'll probably see: "BREAKING! FOOTAGE EMERGES OF KEANU REEVES KICKING OLD LADY IN THE HEAD AT FAMED LA HOTSPOT "THE VIPER ROOM"  in 1992!!!"

Because that just seems how the world is now and all....

• Haha 2
On 10/18/2021 at 8:52 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

i recall you as being a fan of NIGHT MONSTER (1942), so for you or anyone who is interested, PEACOCK (which is the NBC/UNIVERSAL STREAMING SERVICE which I have strictly because they show good horror movies in October and all the JAWS films in the summer) is showing THE MOST UNCANNILY CLEAR AND PRISTINE PRINT  I HAVE EVER SEEN!

Maybe it's that it's in HD, but HOLY ****, I have NEVER SEEN a PRINT this good looking of any film from the 1940s...it is absolutely WILD to watch, while I'm not a fan of the film, but, it's literally looks like it was shot yesterday.

just wild.

ps- i was not even high at the time!

Thanks for the heads up.  This is one of those rare films that Universal somehow let slip out of their vault. Don't you just love Leif Erikson in this? He cracks me up. "Plenty of other people around here with feet. Why don't you measure them?"

What does Peacock cost? I was trying to load TUBI on my Smart TV, but the dumb blonde owner couldn't figure it out. And TUBI will play some things on my PC, but not others. So I was wondering about that Peacock situation.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Thanks for the heads up.  This is one of those rare films that Universal somehow let slip out of their vault. Don't you just love Leif Erikson in this? He cracks me up. "Plenty of other people around here with feet. Why don't you measure them?"

What does Peacock cost? I was trying to load TUBI on my Smart TV, but the dumb blonde owner couldn't figure it out. And TUBI will play some things on my PC, but not others. So I was wondering about that Peacock situation.

I remember having a whole string of classic obscure Universal Monsters movies on Peacock--The Invisible Woman, House of Dracula, both Claude Rains and Herbert Lom Phantom of the Operas--when they first opened, and when I checked back a few disinterested months later...they were GONE.  Peacock had bums-rushed all their studio-icon Monsters, Hitchcock and Marx Brothers to make room for their cool legal loophole to get the Harry Potter rights, and sell us a few new original series.  So nowadays, if you want Universal rarities, check to see if they intermittently show up on Tubi, you'll have a lot better luck.

And as far as Night Monster looking so good, I remember getting a random "Best of post-code obscure off-brand Universal horror" DVD boxset (just to get Captive Wild Woman), and all four titles, Night Monster included, look like they'd had nice catalog remasters.  Universal Horror had been shamed by the pre-code Edgar Ullmer "Black Cat", supernatural horror was kicked out of the studio, and most of what passed for horror by the late code-era 30's and early 40's was Scooby-Doo style cat-and-the-canary and dark-mansion-will-reading stories where the characters were menaced by some obviously natural villain who was unmasked in the end.  And since there was no more need for Dracula (or even the non-vampire in Mark of the Vampire), Bela Lugosi was reduced to contract-playing supporting menacing gardeners and butlers.  🙁

4 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Basic Peacock is free.   You can upgrade for about $5/month or $50/year.

Not all titles will be available as a free user.  To get everything, you'll have to pay (and still have ads).  You'll have to pay even more to reduce the number of ads...

https://www.peacocktv.com/help/article/how-much-does-peacock-cost

• Thanks 1
On 10/16/2021 at 7:28 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’m trying hard to make it through RIVERS EDGE (1986), but to be honest with you, I really don’t think it’s very good.

am I alone in this? 
or am I missing something?

(it was on TCM UNDERGROUND)

edit: I only have 12 minutes left of it, but to be honest with you, I don’t even care about sticking around that long.

I just watched this one again, I saw it on when first released. Crispin Glover is way over the top as a brain fried teen, but I still like the film. 

It really captures the aimlessness and apathy of 1980s youth, a kind of updated version of Rebel Without A Cause.  It also has some topical references to worries about Russia blowing us up. 

I think my favorite thing about it was Dennis Hopper as a one legged ex biker with a sex doll companion. This was coming off his comeback as the psycho in Blue Velvet and his Oscar nomination in Hoosiers.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

13 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I remember NIGHT MONSTER (1942).  You never know what happens to Bela Lugosi at the end of the movie. 

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

I remember having a whole string of classic obscure Universal Monsters movies on Peacock--The Invisible Woman, House of Dracula, both Claude Rains and Herbert Lom Phantom of the Operas--when they first opened, and when I checked back a few disinterested months later...they were GONE.  Peacock had bums-rushed all their studio-icon Monsters, Hitchcock and Marx Brothers to make room for their cool legal loophole to get the Harry Potter rights, and sell us a few new original series.  So nowadays, if you want Universal rarities, check to see if they intermittently show up on Tubi, you'll have a lot better luck.

And as far as Night Monster looking so good, I remember getting a random "Best of post-code obscure off-brand Universal horror" DVD boxset (just to get Captive Wild Woman), and all four titles, Night Monster included, look like they'd had nice catalog remasters.  Universal Horror had been shamed by the pre-code Edgar Ullmer "Black Cat", supernatural horror was kicked out of the studio, and most of what passed for horror by the late code-era 30's and early 40's was Scooby-Doo style cat-and-the-canary and dark-mansion-will-reading stories where the characters were menaced by some obviously natural villain who was unmasked in the end.  And since there was no more need for Dracula (or even the non-vampire in Mark of the Vampire), Bela Lugosi was reduced to contract-playing supporting menacing gardeners and butlers.  🙁

9 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Basic Peacock is free.   You can upgrade for about $5/month or $50/year.

Not all titles will be available as a free user.  To get everything, you'll have to pay (and still have ads).  You'll have to pay even more to reduce the number of ads...

https://www.peacocktv.com/help/article/how-much-does-peacock-cost

Yes, thank you...

Just to add my personal experience,

I downloaded PEACOCK for free this time last year because, yes, they had- like- ALL the UNIVERSAL MONSTERS (of which only a few were "locked" and available only to the premium users) plus some HAMMER HORRORS that UNIVERSAL has rights to like BRIDES OF DRACULA and CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF...They stayed on the service until FEBRUARY for me...

I WILL NOTE HERE that I own a goodly number of the films offered on DVD, but I am lazy and hate searching for them and switching over the DVD function and finding the dvd remote and etc.

PEACOCK often has, in my searches, some pretty decent film titles offered (all I think owned now by universal) and they don't have OBNOXIOUS AMOUNTS OD ADS (like pluto or AMC....YET)

4 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I think my favorite thing about it was Dennis Hopper as a one legged ex biker with a sex doll companion. This was coming off his comeback as the psycho in Blue Velvet and his Oscar nomination in Hoosiers.

i think (although I may be wrong) that RIVER'S EDGE came out the same year as HOOSIERS and BLUE VELVET...which was one Hell of a trip for Dennis. (nothing he wasn't used to)

as you point out, he got- (i think) to his shock and possible consternation- the Oscar nod for HOOSIERS, most people felt he'd've had a better chance if nominated for BLUE VELVET (a performance for which he most certainly deserved a nomination...i have never seen HOOSIERS)

13 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I remember NIGHT MONSTER (1942).  You never know what happens to Bela Lugosi at the end of the movie. 

SORRY, I JUST realized I quoted you in the above post and never responded to this point of yours, POOR BELA, HE JUST GETS NO RESOLUTION AT ALL DOES HE?

At least he does better than LIONEL ATWILL in his proto-TOM SKERRITT in ALIEN part...

I have to be careful because- as I recall- NIGHT MONSTER is a film that is near and dear to the hearts of a lot of people on the boards...I personally do not get it, but there are at least surprises in store for the viewer, I grant you that.

ps- it is an audacious film, that is for sure.

See the source image

17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

as you point out, he got- (i think) to his shock and possible consternation- the Oscar nod for HOOSIERS,

I remember that year he was on Entertainment Tonight, they filmed him watching the Oscar nominations in his home. He got excited when he first heard "Den-" but it was Denholm Elliott for A Room With A View, then they announced Dennis Hopper in Hoosiers, he did seem surprised, mumbling to himself, "Hmmm, Hoosiers...I got it for Hoosiers..."

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes, thank you...

Just to add my personal experience,

I downloaded PEACOCK for free this time last year because, yes, they had- like- ALL the UNIVERSAL MONSTERS (of which only a few were "locked" and available only to the premium users) plus some HAMMER HORRORS that UNIVERSAL has rights to like BRIDES OF DRACULA and CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF...They stayed on the service until FEBRUARY for me...

I WILL NOTE HERE that I own a goodly number of the films offered on DVD, but I am lazy and hate searching for them and switching over the DVD function and finding the dvd remote and etc.

PEACOCK often has, in my searches, some pretty decent film titles offered (all I think owned now by universal) and they don't have OBNOXIOUS AMOUNTS OD ADS (like pluto or AMC....YET)

I WILL NOTE HERE that I own a goodly number of the films offered on DVD, but I am lazy and hate searching for them and switching over the DVD function and finding the dvd remote and etc. This is so me. I downloaded Peacock on my PC and it works. Why some Tubi shows will play and some do not, I have no idea. But at least Peacock has Hitchcock Presents for free.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I remember that year he was on Entertainment Tonight, they filmed him watching the Oscar nominations in his home. He got excited when he first heard "Den-" but it was Denholm Elliott for A Room With A View, then they announced Dennis Hopper in Hoosiers, he did seem surprised, mumbling to himself, "Hmmm, Hoosiers...I got it for Hoosiers..."

YES!

(I read about it in INSIDE OSCAR!)

(I ALWAYS GET A THRILL WHEN SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS SOMETHING INCREDIBLY OBSCURE!!!!)

• Like 2
On 10/18/2021 at 4:04 PM, Citizen Ed said:

I never got around to watching that one.  He was the main character in videogame Cyberpunk 2077 last year and he did do a very credible job. 

But...Keanu Reeves...

blank.jpg

He's got a little of that Robert Taylor perfection going on. I would say he's probably the most classically handsome actor around today and that can offset a lot of meh.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES!

(I read about it in INSIDE OSCAR!)

(I ALWAYS GET A THRILL WHEN SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS SOMETHING INCREDIBLY OBSCURE!!!!)

I remember that too. He should have got it for Blue Velvet.

• Like 1

Well I didn't really watch this film except for a few minutes:  The Ice Pirates (1984).

Now I'm a fan of Robert Urich and his two T.V. shows Vegas and Spencer for Hire,   but I don't see how this film fits any type of TCM branding.

Is the reason TCM showed this film was because John Carradine is in it and it is October?

I'm not complaining,  just curious.