Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

47 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Well I didn't really watch this film except for a few minutes:  The Ice Pirates (1984).

Now I'm a fan of Robert Urich and his two T.V. shows Vegas and Spencer for Hire,   but I don't see how this film fits any type of TCM branding.

Is the reason TCM showed this film was because John Carradine is in it and it is October?

I'm not complaining,  just curious.

It's MGM.  And would therefore be free even if TCM didn't own it already.

22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

. . . I downloaded PEACOCK for free this time last year because, yes, they had- like- ALL the UNIVERSAL MONSTERS (of which only a few were "locked" and available only to the premium users) plus some HAMMER HORRORS that UNIVERSAL has rights to like BRIDES OF DRACULA and CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF...They stayed on the service until FEBRUARY for me . . .

First, thanks for the "Head's up!" about Night Monster. I also have Peacock. Oddly, I wasn't able to find it lumped in with Peacock's collection of Universal monster movies. I wound up instead watching Curse of the Fly, the finale in The Fly "trilogy." Directed by the estimable Don Sharp and produced in England, it is an entertaining programmer that offers a modicum of chills and earnest performances by a dependable cast helmed by Brian Donlevy. Among the supporting cast: Yvette Rees in Oriental drag, remarkably resembling Katherine Hepburn in Dragon Seed, and Burt Kwouk, an actual Oriental.

Properly beginning the way all movies should begin, IMO, with a nubile damsel (lovely Carole Gray) in bra and panties, the remaining 82 minutes don't quite provide the same pulse-quickening thrill. The scantily clad lass is escaping (in slow motion!) from a mental institution and is picked up by Martin Delambre (George Baker), scion of the famous/infamous family of scientists who experimented with teleportation. Seeing the slender babe in her scanties seems not to have an effect on Marty. However, his hormones perk up after she puts on a rather dowdy dress that he steals for her.

"Hey!  Not bad!" he admiringly exclaims. Oh, those crazy Delambres!

Science-Fiction fans hip about the misadventures of The Delambre clan know what to expect henceforth. Peacock offers a jolly good presentation with a, comparatively, minimum of ads.

a64b79fd527a1fc32b3829ed5a2e4fe3.jpg

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

First, thanks for the "Head's up!" about Night Monster. I also have Peacock. Oddly, I wasn't able to find it lumped in with Peacock's collection of Universal monster movies. I wound up instead watching Curse of the Fly, the finale in The Fly "trilogy." Directed by the estimable Don Sharp and produced in England, it is an entertaining programmer that offers a modicum of chills and earnest performances by a dependable cast helmed by Brian Donlevy. Among the supporting cast: Yvette Rees in Oriental drag, remarkably resembling Katherine Hepburn in Dragon Seed and Burt Kwouk, an actual Oriental.

Properly beginning the way all movies should begin, IMO, with a nubile damsel (lovely Carole Gray) in bra and panties, the remaining 82 minutes don't quite provide the same pulse-quickening thrill. The scantily clad lass is escaping (in slow motion!) from a mental institution and is picked up by Martin Delambre (George Baker), scion of the famous/infamous family of scientists who experimented with teleportation. Seeing the slender babe in her scanties seems not to have an effect on Marty. However, his hormones perk up after she puts on a rather dowdy dress that he steals for her.

"Hey!  Not bad!" he exclaims. Oh, those crazy Delambres!

Science-Fiction fans hip about the misadventures of The Delambre clan know what to expect henceforth. Peacock offers a jolly good presentation with a, comparatively, minimum of ads.

a64b79fd527a1fc32b3829ed5a2e4fe3.jpg

NIGHT MONSTER is kinda hidden on Peacock (same for DOCTOR
CYCLOPS and THE HAMMER FILMS) 

You can go to the magnifying glass icon and enter the title, or you can go to “all movies A-Z“ and scroll through till you get to the N’s...They also have a “Halloween hub.“

19 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Well I didn't really watch this film except for a few minutes:  The Ice Pirates (1984).

Now I'm a fan of Robert Urich and his two T.V. shows Vegas and Spencer for Hire,   but I don't see how this film fits any type of TCM branding.

Is the reason TCM showed this film was because John Carradine is in it and it is October?

I'm not complaining,  just curious.

John damn Carradine is  NEVER an acceptable reason to air a movie!

23 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

He's got a little of that Robert Taylor perfection going on. I would say he's probably the most classically handsome actor around today and that can offset a lot of meh.

I dunno. That's a mountain of meh. Good looks can only get you so far... like a bunch of big time movie roles,  tons of money, drop dead gorgeous partners, awesome cars... damnit, I bet he can get really good fried chicken too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Winding down my Mason retrospective with ..

The_Reckless_Moment.jpg...The Reckless Moment  1949

Directed by Max Ophüls  

Starring Joan Bennett, James Mason

Film-noir  1 hr. 22 min.

Synopsis: After discovering the dead body of her teenage daughter's lover, a housewife takes desperate measures to protect her family from scandal.

It dawned on me that I'd seen this before.  "The Deep End" (2001) with Tilda Swintin and Goran Visnjic was a remake with some minor differences.  In my opinion this was so much better, as originals often are.

Joan plays a helicopter mom whose wealthy husband travels constantly, so she's left with their two children in a lakeside home with just a fulltime maid and her father-in-law. I guess I'm supposed to feel sorry for her, but when she frets about economizing to her maid, it's tough.  This is because Mason is shaking her down for the murder and she can't come up with his cash demands so easily.

Her attempt to control the situation from the beginning has only made it worse and now she's stressed to the max. Having a showdown with her teen's 40 year old boyfriend the day before, she now has to drag his dead body into a boat, tie on an anchor and dump it over the side before breakfast. This isn't easy for a small woman.  Wasting no time, her blackmailer shows up at the house the same day. Getting turned down for a loan by lunch and pawning some jewelry still isn't enough. Luckily he's attractive and there's a spark, so he gives her a break, but the body count keeps going up along with the tension.

Max Ophüls was another talented German director who fled the Nazis and made a handful of films in Hollywood before returning to Europe. Caught and The Reckless Moment were his last two here, both starred Mason, and were underrated. I love his camerawork and long tracking shots.  Solid  8/10

Full movie on You Tube

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Many of The Reckless Moment scenes were filmed  on  Balboa  Island here in So Cal (Newport Beach).     

I go to Balboa a few times a year;   It was interesting for me to see how Balboa looked back in the late 40s.

Fine film and my favorite Joan Bennett noir film,  and she was in a lot of  fine ones like Scarlet Street,  Women in the Window,  and The Hollow Triumph,  

I believe this was also the first of Joan's mother-roles (or at least a mother of late teen \ adult children).      The following year,  1950,  Joan would star in Father of the Bride and most of her roles were mother-roles after that.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

But, Peacock doesn't show ALL of the episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents (which is also shown "free" on The ROKU Channel). Conspicuous by their absences:

Now what is the ROKU Channel? I was telling my boss at work that I can't program Peacock or Tubi on my smart tv and he said to get roku. What is it?

On 10/17/2021 at 9:36 PM, Katie_G said:

Caught_(1949_film).jpg

Caught 1949  Director: Max Opuls (or Ophüls)
Starring Robert Ryan, James Mason, Barbara Bel Geddes

Imdb designates this as film-noir, but I'm not sure why. It's not really important, but it's curious. Sometimes I think they just look at the cast or director and maybe the year - like  Robert Ryan, 1949, must be noir.  In my opinion it's not, but is quite good regardless. I think two major points together would disqualify it. One, there's no crime. Just wishing someone dead doesn't count. Failure to render aid in a timely manner could probably qualify, but it's a stretch. Two, it has a happy ending.  I'd call it a romantic melodrama.

Robert Ryan just has a mean looking face and rarely plays the romantic lead.  In Caught he's a mean Howard Hughes-like character who marries poor car-hop Bel Geddes. After a year of marriage hell she leaves him and gets a job working for a handsome doctor, Mason. You can guess the rest.  Art Smith (In a Lonely Place) has a supporting role as Ryan's psychotherapist.  7/10

Caught was the first American film for Mason, who had moved to California after burning his boats in England. "People always ask why I chose to start my Hollywood career with Caught, thinking that I was in a position to chose any film I wanted" he explained. "The truth was that I was desperately broke, needed a job, and this was the nearest thing to an acceptable project that was offered to me."

Not one to toot his own horn, James also did The Reckless Moment for Max Opuls that same year.

Good print free on You Tube

I watched this the other night. Not a bad little film. I like James Mason, but as I thought, Robert Ryan scared me. He always does.

• Like 2
On 10/20/2021 at 9:49 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

See the source image

I must admit that for me, this face suggests not "classically handsome" but "vacant." He is surprisingly not bad in a number of films, but I will pass on this one and let those who are inclined have extra helpings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/19/2021 at 10:32 AM, Katie_G said:

Thunderrock.jpg   Thunder Rock,  1942

Director Roy Boulting

Starring Michael Redgrave, James Mason in supporting role
112 minutes

A lighthouse full of ghosts and the perils of fascism..

Very strange yet interesting film with Michael Redgrave as Charleston, a remote lighthouse keeper on Lake Michigan during WWII.  When his employers become concerned that he hasn't cashed a paycheck in 5 months, they send Mason in his seaplane to investigate. Redgrave is fine except for the hallucinations.  A group of immigrants whose ship went down 90 years before have been keeping him company. 

Thunder Rock was made in '42 as the war still raged, so it must have worked as an entertaining propaganda piece. We learn through flashbacks that Charleston was a famous journalist in the 1930's who tried to warn people about the true intentions of Germany and Japan.  Splicing real footage of Hitler & His Henchmen at a rally with Charleston in the audience was pretty seamless and effective. When Hitler occupies the Sudetenland and no one seems to care, he becomes so disgusted with humanity that he gives up, finds the lighthouse posting, and forms meaningful relationships with imaginary friends. But can he be brought back into the fight?

A big hit with critics and audiences alike.  7.5/10

Full movie free on You Tube

Saw it a few months ago, agree pretty weird but interesting

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Now what is the ROKU Channel? I was telling my boss at work that I can't program Peacock or Tubi on my smart tv and he said to get roku. What is it?

Janet0312,

Roku is a wireless device (like the remote control device for your television) that enables you to watch streaming media on your TV.

What is Roku and How Does It Work?

The ROKU Channel is a free streaming channel. You don't need a Roku device to watch the channel. But, if your (I presume) cable TV provider does not offer Peacock and Tubi and you are unable to program those channels on your TV,  you probably need a Roku device or some other streaming device.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I believe it is a "router". You have to buy it & attach it to your smart-TV via the HDMI port.

Others of the same type are the Firestick (Amazon),  AppleTV and (Google) Chrome. It seems whatever device you buy, you still have to pay for the subscription to view the devoted channel. Hope I've described it correctly, it's confusing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
25 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I believe it is a "router". You have to buy it & attach it to your smart-TV via the HDMI port.

Others of the same type are the Firestick (Amazon),  AppleTV and (Google) Chrome. It seems whatever device you buy, you still have to pay for the subscription to view the devoted channel. Hope I've described it correctly, it's confusing.

Mostly, but not quite.

You buy the device and hook it up to your tv (takes 5-6 minutes, depending on your reach and cord clutter). It then acts exactly the same as a cable box.

With the Roku (and I assume the others), there are a lot of free channels. TubiTV, PlutoTV, The Roku Channel, Filmrise, and Crackle are the best known. There are tons of others. The quality varies a lot with some of the smaller ones (no Closed Captioning, poor Public Domain prints, etc.). The number of ads you have to watch varies according to many arcane formulas. Several pay channels have a free section. You can watch some movies/tv programs on redbox, VUDU, peacock, etc. with ads rather than pay their monthly subscription fee.  

• Thanks 3
14 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

ROKU is a brand of DiGITAL FLAT SCREEN TV (like ZENITH or....um.....whatever other companies used to make TVS), not too expensive they run between $200 and$400 mostly

With a ROKU TV, you can then download DIGITAL CHANNELS, like PEACOCK and TUBI and PLUTO (if you like commercials) and A HUNDRED OTHER OPTIONS....most people who have a ROKU TV have HULU as their way to access regular old tv (it's how I watch TCM and MSNBC and THE FOOD NETWORK and such)

I made the switch a few years back and was not sure, but I have to say, I like it better than old fashioned TV WITH CABLE...although sometimes ALL THE OPTIONS OUT THERE CAN OVERWHELM YOU.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-4K-Smart-LED-43S435/dp/B08DHDS4T3/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=FNYOWF60TNO8&dchild=1&keywords=roku+tv&qid=1634907065&sprefix=roku+tv%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUjBOU1MzMU1UQVQ5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc0Nzk3MzRTR0xXMjhZQUFDUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjE2OTUwMVNMUVJWUkszOEhYSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Thanks 3
14 hours ago, King Rat said:

I must admit that for me, this face suggests not "classically handsome" but "vacant." He is surprisingly not bad in a number of films, but I will pass on this one and let those who are inclined have extra helpings.

I've already given him up for James Mason, that's how fickle I am.  James Mason was handsome, sexy and exuded intelligence.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Performing their hit song ROKU LIKE A HURRICANE...

Inspired by tragic typhoon that destroyed much of the fishing industry of the Roku Islands in '38. 

• Haha 2

I watched TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA on TCM, a film I have watched and reviewed many times over the years.

I mention it here, because it is worth mentioning, that this film has AN ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS SOUNDTRACK - the entirety of which is in the clip below- and I share it whenever I can.

(I listen to it at the gym sometimes)

On 10/19/2021 at 8:21 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Meanwhile at the DEPT OF T.M.I.,

I am firmly #TeamBill

(that shirt and those curls do it for me EVERY TIME.)

I would honestly have a difficult time choosing between Bill and Ted if forced to make a choice . . .

But, yeah, that shirt  . . .

:)

• Like 1
On 10/20/2021 at 12:49 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

See the source image

On 10/20/2021 at 10:38 AM, AndreaDoria said:

He's got a little of that Robert Taylor perfection going on. I would say he's probably the most classically handsome actor around today and that can offset a lot of meh.

I am reminded in a somewhat similar vein that Reeves was in a Rebel Without a Cause themed music video for Paula Abdul's 1991 hit "Rush Rush", and the 50s look seemingly worked for him.....

• Like 2