Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I watched TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA on TCM, a film I have watched and reviewed many times over the years.

I mention it here, because it is worth mentioning, that this film has AN ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS SOUNDTRACK - the entirety of which is in the clip below- and I share it whenever I can.

(I listen to it at the gym sometimes)

James Bernard was my favorite in horror films.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I am reminded in a somewhat similar vein that Reeves was in a Rebel Without a Cause themed music video for Paula Abdul's 1991 hit "Rush Rush", and the 50s look seemingly worked for him.....

Oh wow, that takes me back...

“No one else has touched me so deep, so deep, so deep insiiiiide...”🎶

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I watched TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA on TCM, a film I have watched and reviewed many times over the years . . .

Taste the Blood of Dracula holds a bittersweet, special place in my heart (right next to the left ventricle) because it was the first Hammer Film that I got to see during its theatrical release.

Although I was around during the 1960s, I, unfortunately, was cursed with a mother who thought my interest in horror films morbid and disturbing -- she even had me see a child psychologist about the matter. A real drag, she cruelly and heartlessly denied me the thrill of going to see Hammer horror films during their heyday. My father, OTOH, wasn't as neurotic and 'twas he who charitably took me to see TtBoD, companion feature: Trog (my first, and only, Herman Cohen chiller to be seen on the Silver Screen).

The ecstasy of actually watching a Hammer Horror was significantly diminished by the audience, primarily composed of "African-Americans"--  migrants from what later would be known as "South Central" (Los Angeles). The movie theatre auditorium reverberated with a constant, cacophonous roar (imagine the sound at a prize fight): the never-ending chatter of the disrespectful, unruly mob, who regarded the entertainment on screen with absolutely zero interest.

• Thanks 1

Summer Storm 1944 Universal .Directed by Douglas Sirk. George Sanders Linda Darnell.Based on a story by Chekov (the shooting party) set in Russia 1917 pre-revolution. Sanders is a cad (what else!) and Darnell is a conniving peasant girl who wants money and standing. Good film. 106 minutes 7/10

summer st.jpg

• Like 1

The Mongols 1961 Italy .Royal Film  . Directed by  André De Toth. Jack Palance Anita Ekberg  Antonella Lualdi. The son of Genghis Khan does not want a truce between Poland and Mongolia around the 12 or 13th century. So he creates conflicts despite his father warnings. In 1961 Palance made 4 films in Italy-this is one of them. A different type of swords & sandals so popular in Italy then.Palance is overacting so much it is funny to look at.Ekberg is part of the scenery. It was released in the USA five years later in 1966 at 105 minutes,the print i just seen was the complete 115 minutes one. 5.25/10

mongols.jpg

• Like 1

Calling Dr Death.1943 Universal.   Directed by Reginald Le Borg. Lon Chaney Jr Patricia Morison  J. Carrol  Naish and Ramsay Ames as Chaney's wife.Well another role for Chaney where is character is again full of guilt a la Larry Talbot (the Wolfman's alter ego).It is a 'mystery' with no suspense and a very small budget. We hear Chaney's thoughts during the whole movie... fortunately Lon did not hear my thoughts  while I was watching this film. I was surprised by the beauty of Ramsey Ames I did not know her but after I realized I had seen her in bit parts-very small ones  but this will give an idea of her stunning beauty : Republic Studios stuntmen suffered more injuries running on rooftops to get a better look at Ramsay Ames walking across the backlot than were hurt performing dangerous action sequences in the studio's westerns. Another good looking 40's b movie lady; Patricia Morison is Chaney's secretary,I always found her attractive, she died at 103 in 2018. Excellent print  63 minutes 5.50 / 10

calling.jpg

• Like 1

Paratrooper  aka The Red Beret  UK  1953.Warwick (Albert Broccoli )produ. distr by Columbia. Directed by Terence Young.Alan Ladd Leo Genn.

Ladd is a Canadian with a past,enlisting in the paratroopers.Director Young was a former paratrooper,   Broccoli's first independant production. One scene was later repeated in one of Terence Young's James Bond films. A very average film for Ladd,the same year he did Shane. 88 minutes 6/10

LADD2.jpg

Pillow of Death 1945 Universal. Directed by Wallace Fox . Lon Chaney Jr Brenda Joyce. Another low budget B movie,a mystery thriller.Chaney is a lawyer whose wife have been murdered,of course he is heavily suspected,until 2 more murders are made.(I would not hire him as a lawyer).There is a psychic ,a medium,a stupid investigator etc. Brenda Joyce was an attractice actress. Excellent print 66 minutes 6/10.

pillow 2.jpg

• Like 2

Another Time  Another Place  1958 UK Kaydor Productions-  Paramount. Directed by Lewis Allen . Lana Turner Barry Sullivan Glynis Johns  and 'introducing ' Sean Connery (not true he made 4 or 5 films before).   Melodrama with a hard to believe story line, filmed in England with a complete British cast except for the two leads. This film was never presented on TCM. Released in the UK at 98 minutes,USA 91 , I have seen the 91 minutes one. 6/10

another 2.jpg

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Taste the Blood of Dracula holds a bittersweet, special place in my heart (right next to the left ventricle) because it was the first Hammer Film that I got to see during its theatrical release.

Although I was around during the 1960s, I, unfortunately, was cursed with a mother who thought my interest in horror films morbid and disturbing -- she even had me see a child psychologist about the matter. A real drag, she cruelly and heartlessly denied me the thrill of going to see Hammer horror films during their heyday. My father, OTOH, wasn't as neurotic and 'twas he who charitably took me to see TtBoD, companion feature: Trog (my first, and only, Herman Cohen chiller to be seen on the Silver Screen).

The ecstasy of actually watching a Hammer Horror was significantly diminished by the audience, primarily composed of "African-Americans"--  migrants from what later would be known as "South Central" (Los Angeles). The movie theatre auditorium reverberated with a constant, cacophonous roar (imagine the sound at a prize fight): the never-ending chatter of the disrespectful, unruly mob, who regarded the entertainment on screen with absolutely zero interest.

This reminds me a little of the entry for SCREAM BLACULA, SCREAM in THE GOLDEN TURKEY AWARDS....

(Can probably be found online.)

31 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

This reminds me a little of the entry for SCREAM BLACULA, SCREAM in THE GOLDEN TURKEY AWARDS....

The movies can (thanks to orphaned AI titles on streaming):  Both Blacula films, as noted earlier, are pretty darn GOOD, thanks to William Marshall's commending yet sympathetic performance as a badass and tragic Dracula-equivalent.

And yes, there is actual plot justification for "Scream, Blacula, Scream"'s title, by the end of the story.  The Medveds were tools.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, nakano said:

It is a 'mystery' with no suspense and a very small budget. We hear Chaney's thoughts during the whole movie... fortunately Lon did not hear my thoughts  while I was watching this film.

😄

17 hours ago, nakano said:

We hear Chaney's thoughts during the whole movie... fortunately Lon did not hear my thoughts  while I was watching this film.

Are you sure you didn't have the SAP on your TV on?

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

If it is online, I couldn't find it. I found only references to it.

"The 1980 book The Golden Turkey Awards 'awarded' the film the distinction as the 'Worst Blaxploitation Movie' of all time. In the book, authors Michael Medved
      and Harry Medved freely admit that they chose Scream Blacula Scream as much for the rowdy crowd at a late-night, Skid Row theater screening as for the action
      on-screen." -- Wikipedia

Not a fan of Michael Medved or the concept of "Golden Turkey Awards."

Count Dracula said, "There are far worse things awaiting Man than death."

Well, I say, there are far worse Blaxploitation Movies than Scream, Blacula, Scream*. Like Blackenstein, for one. And The Thing with Two Heads for another.

* Which, IMO, was at least elevated by the dignified performance of stately  William Marshall.

• Like 2
On 10/23/2021 at 3:28 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I am reminded in a somewhat similar vein that Reeves was in a Rebel Without a Cause themed music video for Paula Abdul's 1991 hit "Rush Rush", and the 50s look seemingly worked for him.....

23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh wow, that takes me back...

“No one else has touched me so deep, so deep, so deep insiiiiide...”🎶

Yes, from Paula Abdul's wonderful SPELLBOUND album, which was, to use 1990's terminology, da bomb.

The "Vibeology" track!

"I'm in a funky way . . ."

• Thanks 1

Strange Affair (1944) – A comic strip artist and his wife investigate a murder at a banquet honoring war refugees.

Nothing special, except for one of the cast members, Shemp Howard.  Though, he is a bit far down on the credits…  The original Three Stooges, Moe, Shemp, and Larry first appeared in vaudeville with Ted Healy as Ted Healy and his Stooges.  Soon after, Shemp left the group to pursue a solo film career.  He was replaced with brother, Curly, as they went on to produce their famous shorts.  In May 1946 Curly suffered a stroke and Shemp came back to the lineup.

Here’s a couple of scenes from Strange Affair (1944) with Shemp pursuing his film career…

http://curtisdehaven.com/tcm/shemp.htm

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Yes, from Paula Abdul's wonderful SPELLBOUND album, which was, to use 1990's terminology, da bomb.

The "Vibeology" track!

"I'm in a funky way . . ."

I was a Freshman in HIGH SCHOOL the year that album came out and I was in BIOLOGY and I wish I could say that I did not have that song in my head FOR THE ENTIRETY OF THAT YEAR...

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhH, I'm in a FUNKY WAY....."

(i kinda wish there had been a remix with JUST THE SPOOKY FALSETTO CHOIR singing "Viiiibe-o-logy...." a capella)

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Not a fan of Michael Medved or the concept of "Golden Turkey Awards."

I understand this completely...to backtrack a bit, I did say it reminded me of the entry, but not that I found it amusing all these years later.

(although I do admit with regret that when I first read the entry on SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM [IN the golden turkey awards BOOK] some 25 (!)  years ago, I howled with laughter....

I also will say that they're right to call out CANDICE BERGEN as a terrible actress.)

EDIT: LATER IN THE BOOK, they call out CANDICE BERGEN as a terrible actress...Sadly, Miss Bergen does not appear in SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM. i did not mean to give that impression with my random chain of disjointed thoughts)

• Like 1
On 10/23/2021 at 8:27 PM, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

People used to complain that HALLOWEEN on TCM was too HAMMERCENTRIC, so i think they've gone out of their way to not include many HAMMER HORRORS this year, and it bums me out as I WATCH THEM OBSESSIVELY...

Case in point, I rewatched TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA (a film I have seen many times and owned it DVD before trading it in)

While the film has weaknesses, IT IS SO STYLISH and I ADORE THE SCORE AND SETS AND LIGHTING and MOST OF ALL, the SCENE AT THE END where an IRATE, TRAPPED DRACULA DISMANTLES AN ORGAN IN A CHAPEL AND STARTS FURIOUSLY CHONKING THE PIPES AT THE [stupid] HERO AND HEROINE [and missing them every time, this guy has the aim of KID SHALEEN.]

i adore the FOLEY SOUND they used for the ORGAN PIPES IN FLIGHT...really wish I could get it as a RING TONE for my phone or something...

[starts at 2:40 in the clip below.]

**I also love how LEE'S STUNT DOUBLE chonks a styrofoam boulder at them which gets lodged in the chandelier as these two IDIOTS stand there while THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS is TOSSING BITS OF CHURCH AT THEM (and again, missing them to a degree that makes me think he needs a trip to Lenscrafters.)

• Like 1

Since last posted, watched or re-watched a few things.

I watched Shall We Dance with Richard Gere and Susan Sarandon.    I also watched YouTube version of The Book of Love (with scene in Dept. Store).

Watched SVU, Organized Crime, and CSI Vegas to catch up on episodes I slept through.

Watched two black and white episodes of DV Dyke.

Also re-watched most of Bridges of Madison County.

From last week:

The Lovers (1958) Been in my queue for years and finally watched it.  I like it but i find the characters all pretty despicable, everyone is just having affairs left and right  and not very discreetly either.  Not sure i find it believable SPOILER that Moreau's character would leave her family for a man she just met that weekend.  Didn't have a single character that was likable that i was rooting for.

Too Many Girls (1940) Had high hopes for this film after watching The Long Trailer in the summer.  Didn't like it.  The story was silly and the song and dance routines were boring.  I actually fast forwarded through a few of the final songs.

The Big Parade (1925) Can't believe i never heard about this film before, not even in film school.  It was only through a TCM promo between films that i wrote the title down and bought on DVD.  Pretty great film.  Sure i'll watch it again.

Le Beau Serge (1958) It was decent enough.

Quicksand (1950) Mickey Rooney noir film.  I didn't know whether to feel sorry for his character or laugh at how quickly his luck goes south with his predicament getting worse and worse with everything he does.  It was tough for me to get into but is actually a good film.

Captain Blood (1935) Awesome final battle.

Date Night (2010)  and  The Conjuring (2013) Double feature with wifey where she picked the films.  Forgettable comedy with two modern comedic legends and a decent horror film.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Shank Asu said:

Captain Blood (1935) Awesome final battle.

I watched some of that too... ERROL !  Great cast (I think within about a year after that film ROSS ALEXANDER who played Jeremy killed himself).

6 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I watched some of that too... ERROL !  Great cast (I think within about a year after that film ROSS ALEXANDER who played Jeremy killed himself).

i didn't know that. shame.