Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FiveMinutesTo_Live.jpg

I remember this as Door-to-Door Maniac, and as having the worst acting in films ever, but it's now considered a cult classic. I'd put it in the 'So bad it's good' category.  Notable for Pamela Mason and little Ronny Howard in the cast. Good title music by Johnny Cash, who plays an extremely violent character and should have stuck to singing. Total budget was $300,000 and looks it.  A short 72 minute running time is a plus.  I believe TCM is showing this as a "premier" soon, but if you can't wait....

• Thanks 2

Yea,   Ross Alexander was gaining attention at Warner Bros and who knows where his career would have went if he didn't take his own life.

Note that his first wife,  Aleta Freel,   also shot herself in 1935,  with a 22 rifle.     Ross shot himself in January 1937,  3 months after marrying Anne Nagel,  and also with a 22 (but a pistol).

I watched "Strait-Jacket" from Sunday night.  It's one of the first movies I remember seeing on the big screen as a kid...really freaked me out too!  It's just as much fun to watch now as it was scary back in the early 60's.  Joan Crawford at her psychotic best; sexy Diane Baker at her most devious; 5, count 'em 5 victims all beheaded!  The cool part is that you never saw any of the people actually killed, as it was all shown in shadow or very dark lighting.  What I really liked at the end of the picture, and it's something I never noticed until TCM started showing this film several years ago, is that the 'Columbia Lady' is headless...and her head is resting at her feet...Classic!!  I'm glad I got to see this film.  There have been several demon-occult movies on the TCM schedule that are not allowable to be shown on streaming services.  Why this happens is beyond me.  Cable and satellite providers get to show these films.  Why can't YouTube TV or Hulu do it too?  Their customers are paying to watch TCM programming as well, after all.   I missed one of the Christopher Lee Dracula showings last week, plus Peter Cushing in "Frankenstein Created Woman".  "The Devil Rides Out" and "The Devil's Own" are two others that I never can watch on TCM.  It's frustrating. ☹ 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Yes, from Paula Abdul's wonderful SPELLBOUND album, which was, to use 1990's terminology, da bomb.

The "Vibeology" track!

"I'm in a funky way . . ."

Wow, that song is god awful.  and the best parts seem to be lifted from Deee-lites' Groove is in the Heart

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I understand this completely...to backtrack a bit, I did say it reminded me of the entry, but not that I found it amusing all these years later.

(although I do admit with regret that when I first read the entry on SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM [IN the golden turkey awards BOOK] some 25 (!)  years ago, I howled with laughter....

I also will say that they're right to call out CANDICE BERGEN as a terrible actress.)

EDIT: LATER IN THE BOOK, they call out CANDICE BERGEN as a terrible actress...Sadly, Miss Bergen does not appear in SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM. i did not mean to give that impression with my random chain of disjointed thoughts)

Candice Bergen had actually improved quite a lot by the time she played Murphy Brown, but I have to agree that in her early films like The Sand Pebbles she is a very pretty girl who cannot act her way out of a paper bag.

2 minutes ago, King Rat said:

Candice Bergen had actually improved quite a lot by the time she played Murphy Brown, but I have to agree that in her early films like The Sand Pebbles she is a very pretty girl who cannot act her way out of a paper bag.

you know what?

Watch some of those MURPHY BROWN episodes again, that show HAS NOT AGED WELL.

She is ALWAYS YELLING.

(Kinda like SOMEONE always USING ALL CAPS FOR EMPHASIS FREQUENTLY IN THEIR WRITING.)

But really, YELLING does not automatically equal FUNNY.

SHE'S VERY STIFF.

**But I did enjoy her, oddly enough, in MISS CONGENIALITY...not that I liked much else in that one, WOOF!)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, midwestan said:

I missed one of the Christopher Lee Dracula showings last week, plus Peter Cushing in "Frankenstein Created Woman".  "The Devil Rides Out" and "The Devil's Own" are two others that I never can watch on TCM.  It's frustrating. ☹ 

THE DEVIL RIDES OUT is not that great.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, King Rat said:

Years ago I met a stunningly beautiful blonde when I was on vacation. We talked for a while and she was a very gracious individual. I kept trying to place her, though, as if I had seen her before. It finally hit me and I told her she looked like Candice Bergen.

She was not pleased with the comment.

"People tell me that all the time," she said, "But I'm a lot younger than her."

We should all have such problems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
55 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

you know what?

Watch some of those MURPHY BROWN episodes again, that show HAS NOT AGED WELL.

She is ALWAYS YELLING.

Candice Bergen was always a bit of a B (and not always in a good way, like Lauren Bacall), so the fact that Murphy in the series was a barely fictionalized Linda Ellerbee at ABC News made good art-imitates-life casting.

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I didn't like The Devil Rides Out the first time I saw it, but it grew on me, and I liked it better the second time around. Not a great film, but one of those interesting cults- in-rural-England movies that I enjoy. The film has Dame Gwen Ffrangcon-Davies in a small role (she became a "Dame" at the age of 100)! She was nearly 80 when she made the film. In earlier days, she was Juliet to John Gielgud's Romeo on stage in London in 1924 and Lady Macbeth to Gielgud's Macbeth in 1942. She also premiered the role of Mary Tyrone in London, in 1958.

It was nice to see a venerable lady playing a cult member, in old age. She lived to 101.

MV5BNDE4NjVmZDMtM2UyYy00OWM1LTk3NTEtOWVm

Gwen Ffrangcon-Davies in The Devil Rides Out

• Like 6
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Hey now, Lorna...speak for yourself!  I like seeing Christopher Lee play a good guy (for a change).  When I was a cable subscriber, I saw this movie on TCM about 3 times.  It sort of grew on me.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Hey now, Lorna...speak for yourself!  I like seeing Christopher Lee play a good guy (for a change).  When I was a cable subscriber, I saw this movie on TCM about 3 times.  It sort of grew on me.

I have seen  first run on a double bill-I think.It was terrific especially with the angel of death segment i could never see it again,nowhere,finally 20 years later I watched it on video  and it was good but not as scary but on the big screen it was impressive.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, midwestan said:

There have been several demon-occult movies on the TCM schedule that are not allowable to be shown on streaming services.  Why this happens is beyond me. 

As someone who collects red devils (my business = "Red Hot") I noticed fewer & fewer devil items available around Halloween about 2 decades ago-dwindling to NOTHING now! I have been told it's because of "religious backlash"... somehow even devil imagery is evil.

Seems to me showing scary movies that include  horrors of devil worship would be assisting their point rather than ignoring or pretending it doesn't exist.

• Sad 1
55 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

As someone who collects red devils (my business = "Red Hot") I noticed fewer & fewer devil items available around Halloween about 2 decades ago-dwindling to NOTHING now! I have been told it's because of "religious backlash"... somehow even devil imagery is evil.

Seems to me showing scary movies that include  horrors of devil worship would be assisting their point rather than ignoring or pretending it doesn't exist.

Tampa Bay's baseball team used to be called the Devil Rays, but some religious people in the area complained about it and the team dropped the 'Devil' portion a few years after the team was formed.  I'm surprised there hasn't been a move to get Duke, Central Connecticut State, Mississippi Valley State, or Arizona State to change their nicknames.

Come to think of it, you don't have to use a devil moniker to depict evil anymore in this country.  It happens frequently when people open their mouths to speak!

11 hours ago, Swithin said:

I didn't like The Devil Rides Out the first time I saw it, but it grew on me, and I liked it better the second time around. Not a great film, but one of those interesting cults- in-rural-England movies that I enjoy.

11 hours ago, midwestan said:

10 hours ago, nakano said:

I have seen  first run on a double bill-I think.It was terrific especially with the angel of death segment i could never see it again,nowhere,finally 20 years later I watched it on video  and it was good but not as scary but on the big screen it was impressive.

I love to be refuted!

I think I would maybe like THE DEVIL RIDES OUT a bit more if I had not read so many glowing reviews and write-ups of it [i am a HAMMER HORROR fan, but I'm the first to concede that film critics and writers sometimes go overboard when discussing the genre]

, CHRISTOPHER LEE himself as many of you know called it "HAMMER'S FINEST FILM"...this is, of course, the same CHRISTOPHER LEE who said "Sure, why not?" to appearing in CASTLE OF FU MANCHU and THE HOWLING II: YOUR SISTER IS A WEREWOLF though, so...BIG GRAIN OF SALT.

[SOME have claimed it is LEE's favorite of the 70,000 films in which he appeared, I think THE WICKER MAN is his best film and performance with GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH a close second]

and i know some excitement is to be had by LEE PLAYING A HERO...but the thing is, some actors are not meant to play the Hero. Some actors are just born to play Evil characters...I mean, I imagine the day CHRISTOPHER LEE was born, all the nurses and doctors made a special trip to see "that EVIL baby who GLOWERS at everyone" in the maternity ward.)

...besides all that, THE DEVIL RIDES OUT just seems like a rather uninteresting, humorless  episode of THE AVENGERS...although all the 1920's AUTOS ARE REALLY AWESOME TO SEE, as are the locations (the film uses a lot of exteriors for a HAMMER FILM.)

*Also it lacks the TRADEMARK HAMMER BOMBASTIC SCORE THAT GRABS YOU BY THE SHOUDLERS AND FORCEFULLY SHAKES YOU, I miss that.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

f I'd recommend PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES over THE DEVIL RIDES OUT.

Wish TCM was showing that

I have seen  Plague also first run at the same theatre..there was only one in town ! I remember walking back home it was pitch black in the winter,in late afternoon. When my friend and I split to go back to each other house,I was very young  and a bit nervous ( I was living near a train station on top of a hill), I was scared ! But I still prefered The Devil Rides Out it was more stimulating for me as I was starting to read books about black magic whatever it was. I enjoyed both, but The Devil's Rides Out is my prefered one,I agree to disagree.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, nakano said:

Ihave seen  Plague also first run at the same theatre..there was only one in town ! Irember walking back home it was pitch black in the winter,in late afternoon. When my friend and I split to go back to each other house,I was very young  and a bit nervous ( I was living near a train station on top of a hill), I was scared ! But I still prefered The Devil Rides Out it was more stimulating for me as I was starting to read books about black magic whatever it was. I enjoyed both, but The Devil's Rides Out is my prefered one,I agree to disagree.

Where? America or England?

I was literally thinking this morning of what it must've been like to be a kid growing up in a mining town in Wales or Northern England in 1966 and going to see PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES at the local theatre and thinking "yeah, seems about right."

...for anyone interested, the novel on which the film was based, THE DEVIL RIDES OUT by DENNIS WHEATLEY (sp?) is still in print, there are cheaper (and Kindle) editions than the one I am posting the [AMAZON] link to below, but it is worth noting that this is a special hardback three-novel edition:

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Black-Magic-Dennis-Wheatley/dp/185375790X/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2CMCI0SII597G&dchild=1&keywords=the+devil+rides+out+dennis+wheatley&qid=1635261522&qsid=134-3100731-7138337&sprefix=the+devil+rides+out+%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-3&sres=1448213002%2CB00CJB9CVQ%2C185375790X%2CB00I628KRY%2CB00ZD39ISO%2CB002P2D6WU%2CB01GF0SPGO%2CB003Z0B0EC%2CB00KJ2XJW0%2CB07G2CH945%2CB00EWL8VEK%2CB00F90ACPO%2CB00Q6IQ33I%2CB00Q6IQ2SY%2CB00Q6IQ2U2%2CB07N96GGWX&srpt=ABIS_BOOK

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Where? America or England?

I was literally thinking this morning of what it must've been like to be a kid growing up in a mining town in Wales or Northern England in 1966 and going to see PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES at the local theatre and thinking "yeah, seems about right."

In  a rural area in Canada 30 miles from Montreal it looked like a mining town then !

• Like 1