Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...

speedracer5

4 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

Thank God all around!  "Remains of the Day," is in my top ten, along with other Merchant/Ivory productions. It's perfect the way it is. 

I've read the book at least three times and have seen the movie an embarrassing number of times. Both are just that good.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mkahn22 said:

I've read the book at least three times and have seen the movie an embarrassing number of times. Both are just that good.

Kazuo Ishiguro (who wrote the book) is one of the best authors now at work. Another one of his made a fantastic film, Never Let Me Go. And his touching novel from last year, Klara and the Sun (highly recommended) is about to be turned into a movie

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

Thank God all around!  "Remains of the Day," is in my top ten, along with other Merchant/Ivory productions. It's perfect the way it is. 

I was just thinking the other day that THE REMAINS OF THE DAY is very much like an updated Douglas Sirk film, “nothing happens” in it and yet at the same time, SO MUCH is occurring right before our eyes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was just thinking the other day that THE REMAINS OF THE DAY is very much like an updated Douglas Sirk film, “nothing happens” in it and yet at the same time, SO MUCH is occurring right before our eyes.

Your spot-on description also fits "Separate Tables."

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 7:57 AM, mkahn22 said:
The Browning Version has no special effects, no bombast and only some melodrama. Instead, it's just a poignant tale about a fully drawn "regular" man whose life has sadly, quietly and unnecessarily failed. 

I watched this a long time ago since I love Michael Redgrave but wasn't impressed enough to remember anything. Reading your post eliminates any need for a rewatch.

Just watched George Wallace (1997), Angelina Jolie, Gary Sinise (Forest Gump's Lt Dan).   IMDB calls this a two-episode TV Mini-Series, but TCM recently showed it as  a seamless, three-hour film.  It's based on the life of Gov George Wallace as he went against the federal government with respect to segregation and the civil rights movement.   It also includes his run for president and an attempted assassination.  To be clear, this is a drama, not a documentary, but have been a bit young during the civil rights days. it was interesting to watch.  We enjoyed it.

One thing we missed, though...   At the end of the film, the credits mention that the character, Archie, a black servant for the Governor was fictitious and added for sake of drama.  He pretty much appears throughout the whole film.   But in the beginning (present day, prior to any flashbacks) he's shown as a trustee and taken in handcuffs by police to attend his mother's funeral.  When he asked to have the cuffs removed at the funeral the cop tells him that his mother won't notice...   

Anyway...   What happened to Archie such that he was arrested?   We totally missed that.   

I' m still recovering in a respect from watching Looking for Mr Goodbar late last night. Such a woozy film of endless excess capped by one of the most horrifying endings I have ever seen, right up there with Star 80. I really only watched it to fill one more Oscar-oriented gap. And this film has big problems (horrible editing and a script that is a bit sloppy), but its made up for in part because it is very well acted and a it is a great showcase for Diane Keaton's most daring and fearless role. She doesn't even care about always having audience sympathy; she goes for broke in creating this woman inside and out, without sweetening anything. The editing isn't so kind to anyone else, but the rest are mostly formidable: Tuesday Weld as her similarly self-destructive sister (even if she sounds a lot like Lesley Ann Warren), William Atherton as a bit of an odd duck who is still likely the best bet for Keaton's character out of the men depicted here, Richard Kiley as her angry father, Richard Gere as a charismatic sadist, and Tom Beringer who is terrifying in the final scene. And even though the endless excess is wearying, it is that superior acting and air of gritty reality that keeps the film watchable and effective.
PS: As for those thinking TCM has gone too woke, the print shown last night still has Richard Gere and Tom Beringer using slur words against blacks and gays. So, The French Connection hangup must be on Disney's end.

10 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I' m still recovering in a respect from watching Looking for Mr Goodbar late last night. Such a woozy film of endless excess capped by one of the most horrifying endings I have ever seen, right up there with Star 80. I really only watched it to fill one more Oscar-oriented gap. And this film has big problems (horrible editing and a script that is a bit sloppy), but its made up for in part because it is very well acted and a it is a great showcase for Diane Keaton's most daring and fearless role. She doesn't even care about always having audience sympathy; she goes for broke in creating this woman inside and out, without sweetening anything. The editing isn't so kind to anyone else, but the rest are mostly formidable: Tuesday Weld as her similarly self-destructive sister (even if she sounds a lot like Lesley Ann Warren), William Atherton as a bit of an odd duck who is still likely the best bet for Keaton's character out of the men depicted here, Richard Kiley as her angry father, Richard Gere as a charismatic sadist, and Tom Beringer who is terrifying in the final scene. And even though the endless excess is wearying, it is that superior acting and air of gritty reality that keeps the film watchable and effective.
PS: As for those thinking TCM has gone too woke, the print shown last night still has Richard Gere and Tom Beringer using slur words against blacks and gays. So, The French Connection hangup must be on Disney's end.

I saw this movie for the first time about six months ago (comments here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-was-the-last-movie-you-watched.20830/page-1449#post-2826765) and had similar thoughts in the sense that, yes, it has excesses and flaws, but still a heck of an impressive movie driven by Keaton's and a few others' incredible performances. 

20 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

House of the Spirits  was put on D Vd in one of those cheapo multi film packs

Was this the only film Meryl and Glenn were in together? Too bad if so as few people saw it.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I watched ‘Mr Goodbar’ when it premiered on TCM a few years prior. Diane Keaton was fabulous, as was Tuesday Weld. But ugh this movie. Having known what happened in the real murder that this film is based on, I was anticipating the ending; but it was far more horrible than anything I could imagine. Richard Gere’s character also gave me the creeps each and every time he was on screen. 

This was a good movie, but I never want to see it again. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Oh Honey, I’m sorry. 
MR GOODBAR is a rough one. Don’t operate any heavy machinery and stay away from sharp objects for the next 48 hours.

• Like 2

LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR is without a doubt a very disturbing movie, but Diane Keaton's excellent performance always helps me to keep on watching despite some uncomfortable imagery in here. 

Interestingly, this came out the same year as Keaton's oscar-winning turn in ANNIE HALL, I think her award was as much for this film as it was for Woody's movie.

I agree that Richard Gere's character was a real creepy pervert in here. No doubt that if (SPOILER) Tom Berenger's character hadn't finished her off by the end of the movie, Gere would have eventually come back to do the job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I watched ‘Mr Goodbar’ when it premiered on TCM a few years prior. Diane Keaton was fabulous, as was Tuesday Weld. But ugh this movie. Having known what happened in the real murder that this film is based on, I was anticipating the ending; but it was far more horrible than anything I could imagine. Richard Gere’s character also gave me the creeps each and every time he was on screen. 

This was a good movie, but I never want to see it again. 

DITTO. Once was enough! (I had read the book too)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

DITTO. Once was enough! (I had read the book too)

The book is incredibly frustrating because it has NO chapters. It’s over 200 pages and NO chapterS, just one long narrative. For some reason that bothered me a lot and I was unable to finish 

• Haha 1

I stayed up to watch this film.  Great direction, etc. by Richard Brooks - not to be confused with the actor who played Robinette on L&Order.  I read the book.  I agree with what a lot of you have been posting.  The last seen is almost all in black and white, except what you finally see all the blood and then that fade-out last shot.  Wow!  I read the book and, even if Gere (Atherton was extremely creepy and she is the reason Tom Berenger wound up in her apartment).  I loved what Ben M. said about the vastly underrated Tuesday Weld.  I lived in NYC in the late seventies while attending college (and then getting a job).  I was not part of the bar/drug scene that Keaton's character was into.  However, even if she had lived, Diane's character could have gotten AIDS.  

The problem with having watched this is that it gave me nightmares.  Especially that D.K. closeup.

Excuse typos.

As for Gere, I don't have time to check it out, but I wonder if his performance (and he got better with age - I'm talking physically) in Goodbar helped land him in the role of one of the most gloriously shot (cinematography) and directed films:  Terrance Mallick's Days of Heaven.  Linda Manz died very young.  Sam Shephard - died of ALS.  Brooke Adams (who I used to confuse with Karen Allen) is still around and married to Tony Shaloub, and Gere is still good looking.

32 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It came and went quickly after the reviews were  harsh. It also starred Vanessa Redgrave, Claire Danes, Toni  Collette and Natasha Richardson

What a cast too!

31 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The book is incredibly frustrating because it has NO chapters. It’s over 200 pages and NO chapterS, just one long narrative. For some reason that bothered me a lot and I was unable to finish 

I don't even remember that. Was so long ago.

25 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

As for Gere, I don't have time to check it out, but I wonder if his performance (and he got better with age - I'm talking physically) in Goodbar helped land him in the role of one of the most gloriously shot (cinematography) and directed films:  Terrance Mallick's Days of Heaven.  Linda Manz died very young.  Sam Shephard - died of ALS.  Brooke Adams (who I used to confuse with Karen Allen) is still around and married to Tony Shaloub, and Gere is still good looking.

That's funny. I confused those 2 actresses at the time too!

4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I' m still recovering in a respect from watching Looking for Mr Goodbar late last night. Such a woozy film of endless excess capped by one of the most horrifying endings I have ever seen, 

I watched the last 50 minutes last night,I went  to  see it first weekend it was released,never wanted to watch again ever since,

The ending still has the same effect,horrible, worse than many horror movies,because it can happen anywhere.i  thought all these years for some reason  it was Gere who killed Keaton!!! He was an unknown then  and such a creep in the film  as for Tom Berenger I did not remember he was the one who did it,well 45 years is a long time..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR is without a doubt a very disturbing movie, but Diane Keaton's excellent performance always helps me to keep on watching despite some uncomfortable imagery in here. 

Interestingly, this came out the same year as Keaton's oscar-winning turn in ANNIE HALL, I think her award was as much for this film as it was for Woody's movie.

Rex Reed wrote "If Diane Keaton doesn't win the Oscar for Looking for Mr. Goodbar, there is no God." She did win the Oscar, but for another film, so I'm not sure what that tells us about the existence of God! Quite a few Oscar winners have been helped by another performance the same year.

By the way, we all seem to be on the same page about Looking for Mr. Goodbar.

• Like 3