Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...

speedracer5

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

charming as the notion is, inviting THE WOODLAND CREATURES INSIDE to RUB THEIR COLLECTIVE @SSES ALL OVER THE FURNITURE AND PLATES, does not in fact help in the cause of hygiene

See the source image

Really? The dog does all the sweeping & dusting in my house:

giphy.webp

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

A big thank you to everyone who recommended Downton Abbey: A New Era. We saw it last night and loved it. So did the other ten or twelve people at the screening. Most of the others at the multiplex were there for Top Gun 2. Along with a good script and a sterling cast, the film had beautiful cinematography (no sepia sludge here, no CGI) and some fluid shotmaking. Many of the scenes had multiple actors in the same shot, always in the right place. Director: Simon Curtis. Cinematographer: Andrew Dunn. Editor: Adam Recht. Composer: John Lunn. Costume Design: Maja Meschede and Anna Robbins. Outstanding work by all.

Speaking of sepia sludge: most of the many ads shown prior to the film were so ugly, especially in their muddy and muddled colors, that I wondered if the theater projection was off. No, the main attraction was gorgeous. The most obnoxious ad had Spike Lee yammering on and on and on and on until finally a beautiful young woman at the other side of the chessboard got to speak. Name of product: uh . . . .

1 hour ago, King Rat said:

A big thank you to everyone who recommended Downton Abbey: A New Era. We saw it last night and loved it. So did the other ten or twelve people at the screening. Most of the others at the multiplex were there for Top Gun 2

Shame they couldn’t combine the two in a way to lure both high and low brow moviegoers back into the multiplexes with one fell swoop: 

TOPGUN ABBEY: FINAL FLIGHT OF THE DOWAGER COUNTESS 

IN IMAX and 3D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Let’s face it, Tom Cruise was born to play The Dowager Countess.)

You mean, maybe an ad like "Watch Tom Cruise as the Dowager Countess."

• Haha 3

We borrowed the excellent documentary The Ritchie Boys (2004) from our local library, a great choice for Memorial Day. European Jews who had escaped from Hitler's Europe and were later drafted or volunteered were sent to Fort Ritchie in remote western Maryland and trained to be interrogators of prisoners of war. Because they were fluent in German and/or other languages--not to mention their motivation in defeating Hitler--they were ideal for this work. 

Many of them were sent to Europe with the D-Day invasion. Of particular value was one man who could speak German with a Russian accent. German soldiers were terrified of being sent to prison in Russia.

A number of the Ritchie Boys were interviewed for the film. Their personal stories are fascinating--the mother of one was Marlene Dietrich's masseuse! Those interviewed are mentally very sharp. It's an inspiring story.

• Like 3

Buddy Buddy (1981) -- a very disappointed 5/10

An extremely disappointing experience, Buddy Buddy was the final film for Billy Wilder, who should have either made more films after this to have a better career finale, or he should have stopped with Fedora. It's a dark comedy with the comedy team of Lemmon and Matthau, but it was over 50 minutes into a 90 minute film before I actually laughed, and even though the stars are usually dynamite, all the laughs here belong to Paula Prentiss and Klaus Kinski. It's just very disheartening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Buddy Buddy (1981) -- a very disappointed 5/10

An extremely disappointing experience, Buddy Buddy was the final film for Billy Wilder, who should have either made more films after this to have a better career finale, or he should have stopped with Fedora. It's a dark comedy with the comedy team of Lemmon and Matthau, but it was over 50 minutes into a 90 minute film before I actually laughed, and even though the stars are usually dynamite, all the laughs here belong to Paula Prentiss and Klaus Kinski. It's just very disheartening.

Since the original disk is impossible to find outside of Warner Archive (where did you see this, btw?), I rented the original French-film comedy this remade, A Pain in the @$$ (1973), and just tried to guess how Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon would play Lino Ventura and Jacques Brel.

One ingredient French comedies have that always seem to be lost whenever they get American remakes (qv. "The Man With One Red Shoe") is the concept of the Unkillable Idiot:  Ie., that

1. A bumbler, eg. Inspector Clouseau, will cosmically and improbably survive any dangerous situation, while happily and cluelessly unaware that he was ever in any danger of life, limb or mean people in the first place, and
  2. If you are the normal person stuck with an Unkillable Idiot grateful to you, you will never, EVER get rid of him, as the cosmic forces that protect him will ruin your life as well. 

One problem critics had about Buddy is that Ventura in the original is a thoroughly nasty hitman, and like Basil Fawlty, we just want to see him do his job in peace--He deserves what he gets, he just doesn't deserve this much of it.  Walter Matthau could play a lovable hitman, but he's just not sympathetic as a grouchy, completely despicable hitman to live up to the French frustration of the source material.  Lemmon, meanwhile, from what clips I've seen, seemed to be doing Felix Unger, and not the Grateful Unkillable Idiot who always insists on doing that one last helpful favor...

(The same problem I had watching The Dinner Game (1998) turned into Paul Rudd and Steve Correll in Dinner For Shmucks (2010):  The victim in the original French comedy was a complete hole of a rich doctor who deserved an evening of disastrously grateful comeuppance, but the US version didn't want us to, y'know, hate Rudd's character, so he becomes the sympathetic hero of the movie, and Correll simply becomes a pathetic nails-on-chalkboard annoyance from our perspective.)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Since the original disk is impossible to find outside of Warner Archive (where did you see this, btw?), I rented the original French-film comedy this remade, A Pain in the @$$ (1973), and just tried to guess how Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon would play Lino Ventura and Jacques Brel.

One ingredient French comedies have that always seem to be lost whenever they get American remakes (qv. "The Man With One Red Shoe") is the concept of the Unkillable Idiot:  Ie., that

1. A bumbler, eg. Inspector Clouseau, will cosmically and improbably survive any dangerous situation, while happily and cluelessly unaware that he was ever in any danger of life, limb or mean people in the first place, and
  2. If you are the normal person stuck with an Unkillable Idiot grateful to you, you will never, EVER get rid of him, as the cosmic forces that protect him will ruin your life as well. 

One problem critics had about Buddy is that Ventura in the original is a thoroughly nasty hitman, and like Basil Fawlty, we just want to see him do his job in peace--He deserves what he gets, he just doesn't deserve this much of it.  Walter Matthau could play a lovable hitman, but he's just not sympathetic as a grouchy, completely despicable hitman to live up to the French frustration of the source material.  Lemmon, meanwhile, from what clips I've seen, seemed to be doing Felix Unger, and not the Grateful Unkillable Idiot who always insists on doing that one last helpful favor...

(The same problem I had watching The Dinner Game (1998) turned into Paul Rudd and Steve Correll in Dinner For Shmucks (2010):  The victim in the original French comedy was a complete hole of a rich doctor who deserved an evening of disastrously grateful comeuppance, but the US version didn't want us to, y'know, hate Rudd's character, so he becomes the sympathetic hero of the movie, and Correll simply becomes a pathetic nails-on-chalkboard annoyance from our perspective.)

Here. I saw it on another site, but this is a YouTube print. But the film is bad.

On 1/28/2016 at 10:06 AM, Swithin said:

I watched The White Angel (1936), a William Dieterle biopic about Florence Nightingale, starring Kay Francis. Dieterle was a master director of biopics (Louis Pasteur, Dr. Ehrlich, Emile Zola, Reuters, Juarez, etc.), but his film about Ms. Nightingale is not very successful. I enjoyed it -- Kay Francis and the cast are excellent -- but the whole thing is just not put together very well.

However there is one scene -- a long shot of Florence visiting a soldier's grave -- that must have inspired the "As God is my witness..." shot in GWTW.

I just watched The White Angel again, forgetting that I had seen it, though it seemed familiar. I liked it better this time, though it is formulaic and almost corny, though occasionally touching, particularly the scene when Florence and her nurses first enter the hospital in Scutari. The ending could have been better: They should have got an actress to play Queen Victoria, which would have given the finale a bit more power. I think many of the cast must have run over from the Anthony Adverse set:  Billy Mauch, Henry O'Neill, Eily Malyon, Donald Woods, Zeffie Tilbury, probably some others.

And yes, I still think that shot of Florence visiting the soldier's grave must have inspired the GWTW scene.

MV5BYzA1NmQwNDgtOWRiNS00MDA0LWExN2ItMTk2

• Like 2

Wrath of Man (2021)

An armored car is robbed. A stoic becomes a company guard in hopes the thieves will strike again.

This is a Miramax film. That does not make it a companion to:  Amélie (2001), Chocolat (2000) or The English Patient (1996).

It is a Guy Ritchie film. This means it is a thin plot on which to hang violence and gore. It is sad to say that this movie lacks the humanity and humour of his: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) or Snatch (2000).

The story is fairly linear and straightforward. A few flashbacks establish important information concerning the principle players. Production values are quite high. The movie is not burdened with such things as intrigue, plot twists or untelegraphed outcomes.

4.3/11

• Thanks 1

The extras to The Ritchie Boys are also superb. About 45 minutes of additional interviews, with some great anecdotes not related to the main story. A great movie to watch on Memorial Day, or any day.

We also watched the last hour of The Longest Day. With all of our jokes in this thread about the Dowager Countess, it occurred to me that John Wayne is essentially playing the Dowager Countess in this film, pretty much at the level of your average John Wayne impersonator. In addition to some well-directed war scenes, part of the fun is to try to recognize the various actors in small roles. Hey, there's Peter Lawford, Red Buttons, Eddie Albert. That's Richard Burton talking about being split open from his crotch to his knee (not shown, which is fine with me).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wish to note for all that: freevee does now carry several seasons of: BBC's Coupling (2000-2004). I believe that one does not need an extensive background in British comedy to like this series very much.

I will recommend for those who are hesitant of coming cold to such esoteric work that they might watch first: Season One, Episode Five: The Girl With Two Breasts. It is not so much comedy as it is an interesting documentary on the true nature of how men think. I recommend highly also: Season Two, Episode Five: Jane and the Truth Snake as an investigative work on management's staffing decisions at radio stations and what a demure and introverted and innocent young woman must do to survive in the industry while keeping her innocence intact.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SansFin said:

I wish to note for all that: freevee does now carry several seasons of: BBC's Coupling (2000-2004). I believe that one does not need an extensive background in British comedy to like this series very much.

I will recommend for those who are hesitant of coming cold to such esoteric work that they might watch first: Season One, Episode Five: The Girl With Two Breasts. It is not so much comedy as it is an interesting documentary on the true nature of how men think. I recommend highly also: Season Two, Episode Five: Jane and the Truth Snake as an investigative work on management's staffing decisions at radio stations and what a demure and introverted and innocent young woman must do to survive in the industry while keeping her innocence intact.

Thanks.  We watch a lot of BBC stuff.  Although we also try and don't continue watching some stuff.    Interestingly some shows only have 1 season and a couple of episodes from years ago.  Guess they didn't make it.  Usually get it through Acorn or Ovation (I think).   Some very good New Zealand and Australian shows on them.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:47 AM, Shank Asu said:

Been enjoying the Ida Lupino collection over on Criterion.  So far I've watched:

They Drive By Night (1940)

Out of the Fog (1941)

The Sea Wolf (1941)

Moontide (1942)

While the City Sleeps (1956)

Have enjoyed them all.  Good to see Thomas Mitchell in a leading role in Out of the Fog.

Trying to complete the Ida Lupino films on Criterion.  In the last few weeks I watched:

Women's Prison (1955) Nice turn for Lupino in a villain role although this felt like a bad B-film

The Man I Love (1946) Story felt choppy and the focus changed once Lupino's character is introduced.  

Woman in Hiding (1950) Thought this was damn good.  The final scene was amazing with the use of shadows and tight editing.  Highly recommend this one.

Lust for Gold (1949) Felt like this was made by the State of Arizona's tourism board but i was enthralled mostly because i remember visiting Superstitious Mountain as a child and hearing about the lost Dutchman.

The Big Knife (1955) Liked this one mostly for Rod Steiger's overacting.

The Hard Way (1943)Pretty good performances from everyone involved.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SansFin said:

I wish to note for all that: freevee does now carry several seasons of: BBC's Coupling (2000-2004).

So, about three episodes total.

10 hours ago, Fedya said:

So, about three episodes total.

The menu on: freevee shows that they have: Season One - Six Episodes, Season Two - Nine Episodes, Season Three - Seven Episodes and Season Four - Six Episodes. 

I learned long ago that it is frustrating mental anguish to try to understand how Brits decide such things. It is best to simply accept things as they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip Sans, I watched the two episodes you recommended & liked COUPLING a lot. I'll enjoy watching this series.

I've already seen every episode of both BBC (preferred) and CBS's versions of GHOSTS and am open to another series. A series offers the promise of engagement longer than a movie, yet after completing them we always seem to feel disappointment it's over.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SansFin said:

The menu on: freevee shows that they have: Season One - Six Episodes, Season Two - Nine Episodes, Season Three - Seven Episodes and Season Four - Six Episodes. 

I learned long ago that it is frustrating mental anguish to try to understand how Brits decide such things. It is best to simply accept things as they are.

I love the show, haven't seen it in yonks. Will check it out. Btw apropos of nothing, I know Jack Davenport's mother, the actress Maria Aitken.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SansFin said:

Have watched  4 episodes.  The two you recommended and two more from Series 1.  Entertaining and will probably watch all of it.

Still trying to find my way through IMDb conversion to freevee.  I can go into freevee app and find it, but couldn't add to my watch list.  Tried to find on IMDb and not there or at least not in first 30+ shows they listed.  Today I think I am actually saving it on freevee without asking.  Of course, that may just be coming up as Continue Watching.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SansFin said:

Being married to a British girl, i came to that same conclusion long ago 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2022 at 11:51 PM, SansFin said:

I watch and own a lot of brit-coms.  This one falls into middle of the road territory for me, mostly because it felt pretty weak towards the final seasons but i remember there were some damn funny episodes in the first two seasons.  To me it felt like they were trying to copy the success of Friends, which in theory could be an amazing concept given that TV in the UK can be more free and unrestrictive.

I missed the horrible re-make they attempted in the States which i think was in 2004.  Only lasted a few episode.

• Like 1