Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...

speedracer5

I didn't just it, but got reminded of the movie Blue Chips (1994) with Nick Nolte as a Bobby Knight-like college basketball coach trying to get recruits to come to his school. I remember when it came out, and I had no interest in it. I have to say that it was possibly the most realistic sports movie I've ever seen. From the action to the acting to the scenarios to the dialogue, it all was believable. Even Shaq was decent in his role. If you're like me and always disliked most sports movies because none of it looks real enough to buy into, and you've never seen it, check it out.

• Like 1

Mother of Mercy…I just watched AMITYVILLE 3-D for the first time- Despite the fact that I am a big fan of 80s horror movies, 80s 3-D movies, and terrible movies of all the decades of the 20th century. 

I have read in numerous places that this movie was bad, but holy **** I had NO IDEA- I really have to say, nothing I read truly did its abject stupidity enough justice. 

it was FOOD OF THE GODS level stupid. 

If you don’t yell things back at the screen while watching this movie, then chances are you are just a spine in a chair with a bag of popcorn. (See: Jeni, Richard on JAWS THE REVENGE)

I really have to give AMITYVILLE 3-D credit though, the finale is so utterly absurd, so delightfully deliciously awful in EVERY WAY,  that I have no notes. It made me double over with laughter on a day where the news was very sad, and what more can you ask from anything?

Candy Clark is on this. She had been nominated for an Oscar maybe 10 years earlier. Tess Harper is on this, she would be nominated for an Oscar about two years after appearing in this. And Tony Robbins is in this, about eight years after he had a big part in the best picture winner of 1977 (ANNIE HALL)…wonder whose Corn Flakes he p!ssed in to end up in this UTTER DRECK not too long after. 

This movie is on Tubi and please, give yourself several hours (even days)  of viewing time to pause it so you don’t end up getting a concussion from banging your head on the wall from watching all the stupid things all the stupid characters do in this impressively stupid, stupid, stupid movie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Mother of Mercy…I just watched AMITYVILLE 3-D for the first time- Despite the fact that I am a big fan of 80s horror movies, 80s 3-D movies, and terrible movies of all the decades of the 20th century. 

I have read in numerous places that this movie was bad, but holy **** I had NO IDEA- I really have to say, nothing I read did its abject stupidity enough justice. 

I really have to give it credit though, the finale is so utterly absurd, so delightfully deliciously awful, so laugh out loud in its execution that I have no notes. It made me double over with laughter on a day where the news was very sad and disappointing, and what more can you ask for mini movie good or bad? 

Candy Clark is on this. She had been nominated for an Oscar maybe 10 years earlier. Tess Harper is on this, she would be nominated for an Oscar about two years after appearing in this. And Tony Robbins is in this, about eight years after he had a big part in the best picture winner of 1977.

wonder whose Corn Flakes he p!ssed in to end up in this UTTER DRECK not too long after. 

This movie is on Tubi and really, Give yourself several hours viewing time to pause it so you don’t end up getting a concussion from banging your head on the wall from watching all the stupid things all the stupid characters do in this impressively stupid, stupid, stupid movie. 

Meg Ryan also had a small role in it too..... this movie has also surfaced recently on HBO, so its subscribers are actually paying to see it.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Meg Ryan also had a small role in it too..... this movie has also surfaced recently on HBO, so its subscribers are actually paying to see it.

It’s money we’ll spent, I’m telling you!!!! I was entertained.

Thanks- I meant to mention that both Meg Ryan and Lori Loughlin are in it, although their faces both have some noticeable baby fat so as to make them almost unrecognizable (Meg Was wearing her signature fringy platinum do though)

It’s hard to figure out which of them has the more pointless role.

Saw Lubitsch's first talkie last night, The love parade (1929). Like almost all early talkies, the camerawork is static and the sound is shaky but its still a charming musical comedy battle of the sexes with good work from Chevalier and McDonald. Also interesting to see Lillian Roth as a maid; she was the person Susan Hayward played in 1955's I'll Cry Tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m so sorry. Two more things that I feel compelled to add to the remarks on AMITYVILLE 3D

1. It was directed by Richard Fleischer who directed at least one really good movie 1959’s “compulsion” and also MANDINGO and RED SONJA. 

2. I feel a personal responsibility to reiterate that if any of you were interested in checking this movie out for the first time, please please do space out your viewing. Watching this movie in one sitting would be like holding your breath underwater for two minutes – a feat of endurance  to be admired, but one likely to leave you with lifelong brain damage.

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(See: Jeni, Richard on JAWS THE REVENGE)

I prefer Caine, Michael on Jaws the Revenge: I have not seen the movie, but by all accounts it is terrible.  I have, however, seen the house it paid for, and that is magnificent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I Could Go On Singing (1963) was Judy Garland's final film. Even watching her in it is a bit of a sad experience since she looks so much older and frailer than her actual years (she was 40 when it was filmed). But its worth it for her heartrending performance. It's one of her best parts and the film in general (with her hoping to pick up the pieces and see the son she hasn't seen for years) is very touching. it's still on Watch TCM, so if you wish to see Judy in full dramatic mode, please, I urge you, its worth it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I Could Go On Singing (1963) was Judy Garland's final film. Even watching her in it is a bit of a sad experience since she looks so much older and frailer than her actual years (she was 40 when it was filmed). But its worth it for her heartrending performance. It's one of her best parts and the film in general (with her hoping to pick up the pieces and see the son she hasn't seen for years) is very touching. it's still on Watch TCM, so if you wish to see Judy in full dramatic mode, please, I urge you, its worth it.

Since 1963 was such a weak year for performances by an actress IN A LEADING ROLE (Patricia Neal is fantastic in HUD,  but it is a supporting part) It is especially galling to me that Judy did not get a best actress nomination for I COULD GO ON SINGING (TIL THE COOOOOOWS COOOME HOOOOOME).

Because she deserved it and she could have actually won. 

I’m sure the long true real life story is complicated and a combination of factors that included the studio not being willing to promote her for a nomination, Judy not being willing to campaign, and Hollywood not looking to reward her….for ANYTHING ever.

(the ungrateful bastards.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Dig (2021)

This lovely movie could have been a contender for greatness. Unfortunately, it had to be muddled with a love story featuring two of the supporting characters. Still, it's a fascinating look at the history behind one of Britain's great archeological discoveries. (Although of course liberties are taken with some of the facts.)

The setting is the eve of World War II. Widowed aristocrat Edith Pretty (Carey Mulligan) hires self-taught archeologist Basil Brown (Ralph Fiennes) to excavate on her land in Suffolk, where she is convinced there are archeological treasures to be found. Edith and Basil develop a relationship of mutual respect due to their shared passion for history and its significance for the present. Brown uncovers an amazing find, which turns out to be an Anglo-Saxon ship burial site (Sutton Hoo, now in the British Museum, see link below). Suddenly, the movie, which so far has had few characters (Basil, Edith, Edith's son, and her attractive cousin Rory) is overrun by more characters, as the local museum people at Ipswich suddenly want to become involved, and, after them, the authorities and the British Museum.

One of the young archeologists (Peggy), played by Lily James, arrives with her husband (Stuart), also an archeologist. They're given a room at the inn which doesn't have a double bed, but husband doesn't seem to mind. Also he's a poor kisser. And, although wife wants to be called Peggy, husband calls her Margaret. That sets up the fact that it's ok for Peggy to have an affair with Rory Lomax, Edith's cousin, played by the dashing Johnny Flynn. Peggy and Rory sit around the bonfire in the dark talking about life as if they're Karen Blixen and Denys Finch Hatton in Out of Africa.  This bit of romance is what the film could have done without. It's the sweet relationship between Edith, Basil, and Edith's young son Robert that makes this movie rise above Moira Buffini's flawed screenplay. (Btw, I've enjoyed Ms. Buffini's work on stage. It's always engaging, and always flawed.)

The film ends as World War II breaks out. A lot of the film has to do with the tension between Edith and Basil on one side, and the stuffy academic archeologists on the other.)  Despite its flaws, it's a good film, beautiful to look at, and with brilliant performances by Mulligan, Fiennes, and the kid, played by Archie Barnes.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/galleries/sutton-hoo-and-europe?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlYOzn5nK-AIVBITICh3zeQ-8EAAYASAAEgIc0vD_BwE#introduction-to-sutton-hoo

_116698400_thedig3.jpg

Ralph Fiennes as Basil Brown, Carey Mulligan as Edith Pretty

Featured-Image.jpg?fit=764,1080&ssl=1

hqdefault.jpg

Rory (Johnny Flynn) and Peggy (Lily James), whose story we could have done without. Peggy and her husband were real people; Rory was made up for the movie.  I looked up Peggy in Wikipedia. Her life could be a movie in its own right. Here's the "personal life" part of the entry:

"On 12 November 1936, Margaret married the archaeologist Stuart Piggott (1910–1996); they had met while students at the Institute of Archaeology in London. By 1954, their relationship was over, and they divorced in 1956. In 1957, she married Luigi ****, whom she had met while undertaking research in Sicily. Two years later, her husband had a psychotic breakdown and she spent six months caring for him while he was strapped to his bed. At the end of this period, he left her and moved back to Sicily. She never heard from him again.
In retirement, she cared for A. W. Lawrence, a classical scholar and younger brother of T. E. Lawrence. After the death of his wife in 1986, Lawrence moved in with Margaret and they lived together until his death in 1991. In her final years, Margaret regularly visited her former husband, Stuart Piggott, who had retired to Wantage. In 1987, Piggott had joined Margaret in shared tenure as President of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society – offices they each held until their deaths. Margaret **** died in a hospital in Bath on 8 September 1994."

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Since 1963 was such a weak year for performances by an actress IN A LEADING ROLE

Here are some I liked:

Natalie Wood in Love With The Proper Stranger

Audrey Hepburn in Charade

Ann Margret in Bye Bye Birdie

Doris Day in The Thrill Of It All

Margaret Rutherford in Murder At The Gallop

Julie Harris in The Haunting

Judy Garland in A Child Is Waiting

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Here are some I liked:

Natalie Wood in Love With The Proper Stranger

Audrey Hepburn in Charade

Ann Margret in Bye Bye Birdie

Doris Day in The Thrill Of It All

Margaret Rutherford in Murder At The Gallop

Julie Harris in The Haunting

Tom Jones (1963) was nominated for three supporting actresses (Diane Cilento,  Edith Evans, Joyce Redman), all of whom gave brilliant performances. Margaret Rutherford won the supporting actress Oscar that year for The VIPs. If there's an actress who could be considered the female lead in Tom Jones, it's Susannah York, who was not nominated but who gave a wonderful performance as Sophie Western. Not as flashy a character as those other ladies, but a great performance.

tom+jones+1.jpg

Another great leading performance by an actress in 1963 was Leslie Caron in The L-Shaped Room. She was nominated for the best actress Oscar and did win the BAFTA and Golden Globe for her performance.

MV5BODRmYjNmZTEtYTMwMi00Y2RkLWJhY2ItODc5

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

Tom Jones (1963) was nominated for three supporting actresses (Diane Client, Edith Evans, Joyce Redman), all of whom gave brilliant performances. Margaret Rutherford won the supporting actress Oscar that year for The VIPs. If there's an actress who could be considered the female lead in Tom Jones, it's Susannah York, who was not nominated but who gave a wonderful performance as Sophie Western. Not as flashy a character as those other ladies, but a great performance.

tom+jones+1.jpg

When I think of Tom Jones I always think of Susannah York.  She gave an excellent performance-probably the best in the movie in my opinion.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:30 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have read in numerous places that this movie was bad, but holy **** I had NO IDEA- I really have to say, nothing I read truly did its abject stupidity enough justice. 

I watched the movie on Blu3D, out of completism (and sentimentality for the 80's days of 3D, even though most of it was cheap horror triquels I couldn't get into back then)  --

Aside from the fact of no one in the 80's knowing how to decently master 3D stereoscopics, yeah, it's industrial-level stupid.  It's the kind of stupid made by somebody who watched the original movie once, only remembered that there was a pool in the basement, and ran with that.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:38 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Note:  have rewatched the finale of Amityville 3-D multiple times as of this post and IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER!!!)

"That is the worst  looking monster I have seen in the last five years!" - Roger Ebert, Siskel & Ebert

I didn't just it, but got reminded of the movie Blue Chips (1994) with Nick Nolte as a Bobby Knight-like college basketball coach trying to get recruits to come to his school. I remember when it came out, and I had no interest in it. I have to say that it was possibly the most realistic sports movie I've ever seen. From the action to the acting to the scenarios to the dialogue, it all was believable. Even Shaq was decent in his role. If you're like me and always disliked most sports movies because none of it looks real enough to buy into, and you've never seen it, check it out.

I remember ex-NBA Bob Cousy's appearance in the movie giving the producers the idea to premiere the movie in Cousy's Celtics-hometown of Worcester, MA.

Nolte and Cousy showed up, and, since the event was sponsored by Dunkin' Donuts, Lou "Time to make the donuts..." Jacobi, who was still well known from his Dunkin' ads at the time.  Guess who got most of the autograph requests.   😁 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

I watched [AMITYVILLE 3-D (1983)] on Blu3D, out of completism (and sentimentality for the 80's days of 3D, even though most of it was cheap horror triquels I couldn't get into back then)  --Aside from the fact of no one in the 80's knowing how to decently master 3D stereoscopics, yeah, it's industrial-level stupid.  It's the kind of stupid made by somebody who watched the original movie once, only remembered that there was a pool in the basement, and ran with that.

At the risk of getting heat for it, I will admit that I am a huge fan of JAWS 3-D, owing in large part to the fact that I was 6 when it came out and six year olds are [generally] idiots. everything I've read and heard from everyone involved (and I have even talked to someone BIG behind the scenes about it!) said/says that [personalities aside] shooting in 3D and all the crap that came with it was SUCH A MONSTROUS TIME CONSUMING, FRUSTRATING ISSUE that they just kinda threw their hands up around the end and said "**** it, here's your 3-D shark movie, America- enjoy it or not we honestly don't care any more."

that same energy is STRONG with AMITYVILLE 3-D- a film that makes JAWS 3-D look like a masterpiece in comparison (I get a sense the attitude on the set of AMITYVILLE 3D was pretty much "**** it" from the get-go, whereas they at least gave it the old college try for the first couple of weeks of shooting on JAWS 3-D.

I hesitated to do this, but just because I think you all deserve to see it, here is a youtube clip of a VHS RIP (love it!) of the first (AND BEST!) part of the ending of AMITYVILLE 3-D.

it is LESS THAN TWO MINUTES LONG- THE ENTIRE ENDING OF AMITYVILLE 3-D is not available on youtube, but if any of you would like to post it, feel free, especially if you want to replace the soundtrack with THE 1812 OVERTURE.

• Thanks 1

seriously, JACK NICHOLSON already had an OSCAR, he didn't need that second one for TERMS OF ENDEARMENT.

"SUSAN: SAVE YOURSELF!!!! GUY"  gave what was HANDS DOWN the best performance by an actor in a supporting role that year.

ps- i also LOVE how SUSAN is like "nah, I'm good" and NEVER SHOWS UP AT THE END.

Just now, PhillyCinephile said:

AMITYVILLE 3-D -- is that the one with Rutanya Alda?

No, she's in the second one, which I kinda want to see now since PART 3 was so memorable.

(i've never really seen any of the AMITYVILLE movies in entirety as I recall- it's never been a series that's interested me)

22 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Here are some I liked:

Natalie Wood in Love With The Proper Stranger Audrey Hepburn in Charade Ann Margret in Bye Bye Birdie

Doris Day in The Thrill Of It All Margaret Rutherford in Murder At The Gallop Julie Harris in The Haunting

21 hours ago, Swithin said:

Tom Jones (1963) was nominated for three supporting actresses (Diane Client, Edith Evans, Joyce Redman), all of whom gave brilliant performances. Margaret Rutherford won the supporting actress Oscar that year for The VIPs. If there's an actress who could be considered the female lead in Tom Jones, it's Susannah York, who was not nominated but who gave a wonderful performance as Sophie Western. Not as flashy a character as those other ladies, but a great performance.

Another great leading performance by an actress in 1963 was Leslie Caron in The L-Shaped Room. She was nominated for the best actress Oscar and did win the BAFTA and Golden Globe for her performance.

I've never seen THE THRILL OF IT ALL, but every actress the two of you mention gives a terrific performance- however with the exception of LESLIE CARON in THE L-SHAPED ROOM, I just don't think the roles themselves were substantial enough to really merit a lead nomination- SUSANNAH YORK is great, I just don't see her as a lead in TOM JONES...that movie really only has ONE LEAD, and it's the title character.

Also RACHEL ROBERTS is great in THIS SPORTING LIFE but she also totters on the brink of supporting in it too (also, it is a miserable film.)

also also- Swithin- I think your autocorrect betrayed you and changed DIANE CILENTO's last name to "CLIENT."

(I hate autocorrect)

29 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've never seen THE THRILL OF IT ALL, but every actress the two of you mention gives a terrific performance- however with the exception of LESLIE CARON in THE L-SHAPED ROOM, I just don't think the roles themselves were substantial enough to really merit a lead nomination- SUSANNAH YORK is great, I just don't see her as a lead in TOM JONES...that movie really only has ONE LEAD, and it's the title character.

Also RACHEL ROBERTS is great in THIS SPORTING LIFE but she also totters on the brink of supporting in it too (also, it is a miserable film.)

also also- Swithin- I think your autocorrect betrayed you and changed DIANE CILENTO's last name to "CLIENT."

(I hate autocorrect)

LOL, that's the second time in a few days that it has betrayed me!