• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...

speedracer5

18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

True fact: 

My AutoCorrect once changed the name “Adolf Menjou” to “adult matinee”

That’s pretty much been the only time in my life where I found anything that auto correct ever did amusing.

There is a short story concerning autocorrect changing a contract so that a man owes Satan his: "immoral sole". He spends years searching for properly evil shoes.

• Thanks 1

I assume autocorrect is also used for captioning on TV.  It is really amusing to read the caption compared to what is actually being said.  Seems to be more of a problem on streaming channels, such as YouTube, Tubi, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

I assume autocorrect is also used for captioning on TV.  It is really amusing to read the caption compared to what is actually being said.  Seems to be more of a problem on streaming channels, such as YouTube, Tubi, etc.

Depends on the technology being used.   The web-based videos (that aren't commercially produced films or TV shows) are captioned using automatic speech recognition, which can be unreliable at times.   Same technology, essentially, that smart phones use to transcribe voice mails, or do voice to text transcriptions.

For most recorded TV programs, and films, captions have tended to be done manually.  The captioning is often done using a keyboard similar to a steno machine (as in a courtroom), so it's all based on the sound of words rather than the literal spelling.

• Like 1

i just started watching "summer place"

lol

firstly i have ALWAYS avoided troy donahue, ans i never really watched sandra dee when you get right down to it. i have zero idea why i decided to spend sometime with this movie.

also,,,i haven't finished

i can see why it was panned and i can also see why it was a hit. this movie really sucks. ****. so,,,,impressions

1...when dorothy mcguire first turns around (you don't see her for quite a while in the beginning), my wife jumped. dm looks wide eyed and  garrish .

2...the max steiner score is laughingly melodramatic. i do not remember the first time i laughed but it was a buildup of music over something quite unassuming - i think maybe a clseup of the handyman guy looking at something or other

3...constance ford's character. need i say more

4...troy and sandra ..holding hands and kissing like they've known each other for 10years. actually i have to agree the ford's character here...let's keep our hormones in check! actually in this whole kitandkaboodle, troy and sandra actually come across as competent

5...the aunt who's totally senile until she has a sitdown with mcguire and then she becomes like yoda or something

so i'm at the part where troy and sandra are facing rough waters when he was trying to show her around the island where he should have know all the ins and outs of the waters

one of the truly worst movies i have ever seen, and yet here i sit, ready to continue to the end of this melodrama

it's on tcm right now. @6min30sec there's a brief scene when we fisrt see dorothy mcguire. pay closee heed to the steiner buildup to dm turning around. i swear it's "phanton of the opera" worthy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, miltk said:

i just started watching "summer place"

lol

firstly i have ALWAYS avoided troy donahue, ans i never really watched sandra dee when you get right down to it. i have zero idea why i decided to spend sometime with this movie.

also,,,i haven't finished

i can see why it was panned and i can also see why it was a hit. this movie really sucks. ****. so,,,,impressions

1...when dorothy mcguire first turns around (you don't see her for quite a while in the beginning), my wife jumped. dm looks wide eyed and  garrish .

2...the max steiner score is laughingly melodramatic. i do not remember the first time i laughed but it was a buildup of music over something quite unassuming - i think maybe a clseup of the handyman guy looking at something or other

4...troy and sandra ..holding hands and kissing like they've known each other for 10years. actually i have to agree the ford's character here...let's keep our hormones in check! actually in this whole kitandkaboodle, troy and sandra actually come across as competent

5...the aunt who's totally senile until she has a sitdown with mcguire and then she becomes like yoda or something

so i'm at the part where troy and sandra are facing rough waters when he was trying to show her around the island where he should have know all the ins and outs of the waters

one of the truly worst movies i have ever seen, and yet here i sit, ready to continue to the end of this melodrama

Well said;    but don't feel bad,   how many people can't resist the urge to slow down and view a major car crash,  and then regret doing so.

• Like 1

TUBI continues to be the place to go for weird little horror movies of the eighties and nineties (and before and beyond.)

I checked out MICROWAVE MASSACRE (1983)- and don't let the title fool you, it's a comparatively tame horror comedy/spoof, not much gore and what there is is deliberately fakey. It's only an hour and fifteen minutes and it has a surprisingly sharp and funny first half- the premise being that a hen-pecked Jersey construction worker murders his shrew of a wife and eats her, it plays like a live-action version of THE LOCKHORNS that is actually funny!

the acting is wonderfully terrible- the lead actor is actually pretty funny (he cracked me up with some one-liners) and the decor is indescribably horrific.

things go off the rails in the second half, there is some racist/misogynistic  humor that has aged like a cask of Paul Masson and the whole thing ends with a whimper, but really, not the worst way to spend an hour and fifteen minutes if you got it to spend.

See the source image

See the source image

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, miltk said:

As I said much earlier in this thread, after getting jilted by their respective spouses, Constance Ford and Arthur Kennedy head south and become the parents of Claudelle Inglish, another movie that's an entertaining train wreck.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Well said;    but don't feel bad,   how many people can't resist the urge to slow down and view a major car crash,  and then regret doing so.

i think of why i'm sticking with this movie is, having avoided troy and sandra movies my whole life, something just hit me - like i have to see what troy and sandra were all about. troy i never watched. sandra, i think i saw her as a daughter in a jimmy stewart movie or something

4 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

That's high praise. I'll have to take a look. 

EATING RAOUL Is a better crafted and acted film than MICROWAVE MASSACRE, but I’ve always felt there is something sort of….lifeless and bland about RAOUL (in part deliberately.) 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

EATING RAOUL Is a better crafted and acted film than MICROWAVE MASSACRE, but I’ve always felt there is something sort of….lifeless and bland about RAOUL (in part deliberately.) 

It's for the Thinking Psychotic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, miltk said:

firstly i have ALWAYS avoided troy donahue,

So have I, but I watched "Rome Adventure" a few months ago and liked certain things about it.  Suzanne Pleshette, who I've always thought was underrated, plays a young teacher who's treating herself to a Rome vacation.  She meets and falls in love with Troy Donahue who is having a torrid affair with  a young,  steamy Angie Dickenson. 

There's a scene I really like where Suzanne and Troy go to a club and listen to a beautiful version of "Al Di La" and Suzanne does the best acting, ever,  of "young woman in love face," for three minutes straight.  

I figured she did it so well because she really was in love with Troy and they married soon after.  The marriage lasted nine months.  He was married three more times, each marriage lasting about two years.  In two cases the reasons weren't given but two other cases charged him with cruelty.  Before he met Suzanne he had been arrested for hitting a young woman  he was engaged to.   It's sad for all  of them and helps explain why his career sort of went the way of opening car dealerships and drinking.  It's my homemade theory that Troy was gay and trying to force himself to love these women.

Anyway, I can't do screen caps so here's the whole Al di la number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_X6rPxBMqs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

At the risk of getting heat for it, I will admit that I am a huge fan of JAWS 3-D, owing in large part to the fact that I was 6 when it came out and six year olds are [generally] idiots. everything I've read and heard from everyone involved (and I have even talked to someone BIG behind the scenes about it!) said/says that [personalities aside] shooting in 3D and all the crap that came with it was SUCH A MONSTROUS TIME CONSUMING, FRUSTRATING ISSUE that they just kinda threw their hands up around the end and said "**** it, here's your 3-D shark movie, America- enjoy it or not we honestly don't care any more."

In defense of the 50's and 10's 3D phases, they were made with studios using the then premiere technology of the theater industry--
Where the 80's 3D phase, apart from Captain EO at Disney World, was pretty much spawned by one low-low-low-budget derivative bottom-feeding Italian movie (Comin' At Ya!, 1981), and attracted only the cheapest of the cheap in the US.

I remember wanting to go see 3D movies in the 80's, after having run across Treasure of the Four Crowns (1982) at the local theater, but what was available was either cheap ****-it name-only R-rated horror triquels that didn't even bother seeing their first movie, or backyard shoestring pre-Full Moon Charles Band sci-fi movies like Parasite or Metalstorm: the Destruction of Jared-Syn.  As I recall, the only one that seemed correctly mastered and professionally entertaining were last-minute theatrical reissues of House of Wax (1952) and Dial M For Murder (1953), from the 50's when they took the phase seriously.

(On Flicker Alley's Blu3D "3D Rarities 2", there's the lost Blu3D trailer to "The 3D Movie", an abandoned 1983 clip anthology (eg. Terror in the Aisles) that would have showcased the history of 3D, from the experimental 30's and promotional 70's-80's films, to the greatest musical, western and dramatic moments from the 50's.  Unfortunately, rights issues and funding sank the producer, but from the trailer we saw, DANG, would that movie have singlehandedly made up for two-and-a-half years of bad ones. 😎  )

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I remember finding it a bit disappointing. If you come at it from the angle of a horror film aficionado, it is kind of tame. Though I love Mary Woronov.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

So have I, but I watched "Rome Adventure" a few months ago and liked certain things about it.  Suzanne Pleshette, who I've always thought was underrated, plays a young teacher who's treating herself to a Rome vacation.  She meets and falls in love with Troy Donahue who is having a torrid affair with  a young,  steamy Angie Dickenson. 

There's a scene I really like where Suzanne and Troy go to a club and listen to a beautiful version of "Al Di La" and Suzanne does the best acting, ever,  of "young woman in love face," for three minutes straight.  

I figured she did it so well because she really was in love with Troy and they married soon after.  The marriage lasted nine months.  He was married three more times, each marriage lasting about two years.  In two cases the reasons weren't given but two other cases charged him with cruelty.  Before he met Suzanne he had been arrested for hitting a young woman  he was engaged to.   It's sad for all  of them and helps explain why his career sort of went the way of opening car dealerships and drinking.  It's my homemade theory that Troy was gay and trying to force himself to love these women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_X6rPxBMqs

i know the scene,,,,,,because of the song :):):):)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

What I want to know is why that clip captioned the lyrics in Italian when he's SINGING IN ITALIAN?

Also, almost everyone is holding a cigarette, yet NONE of them are lit-there should be a thick cloud of smoke in that room.