Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...

speedracer5

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974)

Combination action, crime drama and buddy film, directed by Michael Cimino in his directorial debut to impressive effect. Clint Eastwood, in fine form, leads a cast, which includes Jeff Bridges (in an Oscar nominated performance) as a fun loving, free wheeling kid he encounters, along with George Kennedy and Geoffrey Lewis as a pair of former bank robbery cohorts of Clint's, initially out to kill him because they think he betrayed them on a former hold up. Instead the three former bank robbers, along with Bridges, decide to make some money by repeating the same bank robbery that had been pulled off previously.

There's a lot of fun, as well as some tragedy, to be found in this film. Eastwood and Bridges have a nice chemistry in their casual dialogue exchanges with one another. Bridges is particularly fun to watch when he has to perform a drag act as part of the bank robbery plans towards the end of the film. Kennedy's character is simply mean and vengeful. With him along for the ride there is always the question of whether or when the bank robbers may turn on one another because it doesn't take much to set George off.

Clint in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot with Jeff Bridges - Clint Eastwood Fan  Art (41651485) - Fanpop

Cimino's film goes on a little long at just shy of two hours and a sequence in which the robbers all get regular jobs to get some needed scratch before the robbery slows things down a little. Nevertheless, Cimino has a good pictorial eye. This is a film shot 95% in the great outdoors, much of it showing vast vistas of Montana as well as featuring a brief spell with Eastwood and Bridges at the drop dead gorgeous Snake River in Idaho. Visually his film looks as good, if not better, than many westerns.

Bill McKinney, every bit as bizarre as the character he had played in Deliverance, plays a nut case country boy who picks up Eastwood and Bridges as hitchhikers. He has a raccoon in a cage in his car and a trunk full of rabbits. After a wild ride in which he rolls his car over he then frees the rabbits and starts shooting them. It then takes just seconds before his chin meets Eastwood's fist. Catharine Bach, highly billed in the film, has a small role in what is very much a male oriented film.

シゲボー on Twitter: "THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT (1974) #MoviePoster #aussie  https://t.co/idJOYassDb" / Twitter

3 out of 4

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

See the source image

I apologize for this "I would like to talk about...Madeleine Ashton" moment, but rather by coincidence, I found myself in a Wal Mart across the river,  where I came across a DVD with ALL 3 JAWS SEQUELS for $7.50!!!

and i would like to note that not only does it have all the bonus materials  for JAWS 2 (which got more DVD extras than i think it deserved when Universal put it out back in the aughts) it also has AN OPTION FOR A FRENCH AUDIO TRACK FOR ALL THREE MOVIES.

That's right, you can watch all three as Les Dents Du Le Mer- and I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE IT.

Both JAWS 3 and JAWS THE REVENGE are whole new experiences when watched En Francais- ESPECIALLY the groans of agony from the shark victims which have been re-dubbed by French actors with a certain passion and commitment lacking from their American counterparts.

JAWS THE REVENGE  is- honestly- a different film when you have no idea what the characters are saying (I don't speak French)- but the whole thing gets a kind of CAMUS-like vibe to it.

Also, the only thing hotter than BEARDED LANCE GUEST ca. 1987 is BEARDED LANCE GUEST ca. 1987 DUBBED IN FRENCH.

ps- the shark still roars, but sadly it does not go "le roar"

• Like 3

"House of The Damned" (1963) on FXM.

Very low key horror movie with a lame ending.  Don't know why the producers took the effort to film this B&W dud in Cinemascope.

Oh the keys, where's the missing (2) keys?  That's the solution, just kick the doors in.  Richard Kiel looks like he hasn't eaten in a while.  Running time only 1:05.

house_of_damned_poster_01.jpg?w=650

Just loony toon grandma ma in the nut house.

30856683407.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tikisoo said:

Translates as "Teeth of the Sea" 😀

almost poetic, isn't it?

apparently, JAWS, like GREASE was a title that did not translate well for release in other countries...especially with JAWS 2 because JAWS 2 in French would be (more or less) LES DENTS DE LA MER DEUX  which sounds like LES DENTS DE LE **** which would mean THE TEETH OF SH!T. 

ps- OMG, OTTO SENSOR SPEAKS FRENCH!!!!!

(I'm not even mad about it)

Last night, I used HBO on demand and finally caught up with The Chosen.  I read the novel and, being Jewish, I could relate to it.  Rod Steiger was unrecognizable under all that makeup.  The 4 male leads:  Barry Miller, Steiger, M. Schell and Robby Benson were all very good.  Now, in six degrees of separation, I followed that up with Defending Your Life with Albert Brooks, Meryl Streep, Rip Torn and Lee Grant (who appeared with Steiger in his Oscar winning role in In the Heat of the Night).  Later, went back to On Demand (all on HBO) to Double Jeopardy.  Then caught up with first few episodes of Frasier (which is getting a reboot - John M. is dead, as is Eddie, but they definitely need an Eddie-like dog.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Last night, I used HBO on demand and finally caught up with The Chosen.  I read the novel and, being Jewish, I could relate to it.  Rod Steiger was unrecognizable under all that makeup.  The 4 male leads:  Barry Miller, Steiger, M. Schell and Robby Benson were all very good.  

I saw The Chosen when it was released and think it is a great film. It should have received more recognition. I think Steiger was brilliant as the Hasidic Rebbe.

• Like 2

Taking a bit of detour from films this week. I'm spending my viewing time watching more episodes of Knots Landing. Such a good show, the most thoughtful of the 80s primetime soaps and the most realistic, and like all the others extremely addictive. 

The Curse of the Living Corpse (1964)

A man who rates only four pallbearers is placed in a tomb. There are some who would have you believe that he does not stay there.

I freely admit that it would be unfair of me to rate this movie or to advise for or against watching it because I can watch only a few minutes at a time before feeling a strong urge to multitask in hopes of having at least part of the time I am spending be interesting.

It is said to be the film debut of: Roy Scheider.

It is available for viewing for free with commercials on: TubiTV and PlutoTV.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SansFin said:

The Curse of the Living Corpse (1964)

A man who rates only four pallbearers is placed in a tomb. There are some who would have you believe that he does not stay there.

I freely admit that it would be unfair of me to rate this movie or to advise for or against watching it because I can watch only a few minutes at a time before feeling a strong urge to multitask in hopes of having at least part of the time I am spending be interesting.

It is said to be the film debut of: Roy Scheider.

It is available for viewing for free with commercials on: TubiTV and PlutoTV.

From my experience Tubi has a lot like this.😀

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 3:01 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Well, I didn't get a copy from the library, but I've tried several times to watch it and always clock out between 20 and 30 minutes in.)

The movie is both intense and immersive. These are generally considered good traits but they do define narrowly who will like them. A person who is not quickly grabbed by the setting and storyline will feel disenfranchised and quickly lose interest. It is possible with some movies to watch it again when in a different mood or when there are herbals in the air and enjoy it thoroughly. I am sorry to say that this is not one of those movies. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2022 at 4:17 PM, Swithin said:

Blade Runner: The Final Cut (1982)

[...]

Roy Batty's final speech has been praised. I think overpraised. If you want to see a marginal figure reciting an inspiring, moving monologue, read the Monster's speech from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (I've quoted part of it, below). 

I am sorry to say that I do not understand how you can compare the two. The monster's speech is long, forcibly philosophical and somewhat preachy. The Replicant's speech is pithy and deeply personal. It is the difference between an old priest's sermon on the joys of chastity and having a hot redhead whisper naughties in your ear.

• Like 1

My wife and I just finished THE OFFER.  A series about the making of THE GODFATHER. We thought it was excellent. Apparently, the reviews by the critics were luke warm at best. However, we loved it.  Al Ruddy, the actual producer of the film, was not well known or experienced. Most people know Francis Coppola the director and Robert Evans the CEO of Paramount. Ruddy doesn't get  that much attention. As the series points out this classic might have never been made but for Ruddy and his assistant's efforts. If you are a GODFATHER fan I think you will enjoy the series. It's a nice way to celebrate the films 50th anniversary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SansFin said:

I am sorry to say that I do not understand how you can compare the two. The monster's speech is long, forcibly philosophical and somewhat preachy. The Replicant's speech is pithy and deeply personal. It is the difference between an old priest's sermon on the joys of chastity and having a hot redhead whisper naughties in your ear.

Well you are right, the two are hard to compare, one being a speech in a film, which by nature has to be relatively short; the other being a speech (which I actually only quoted a portion of) from a Gothic novel.

Even absent my comparison, I found Blade Runner a so-so movie, and the speech merely ok.  Perhaps Martin Dysart's speech in Equus, referring to Alan Strong, would be a better example, I mean the "At least I galloped, when did you?" speech. 

On 7/5/2022 at 1:35 AM, hamradio said:

"House of The Damned" (1963) on FXM.

I dig House of the Damned, which, for me, is redeemed by the artistry of cinematographer John M. Nickolaus Jr. and Expressionistic mise-en-scène of director Maury Dexter, who, combined, effectively create a spooky atmosphere of eerie, minatory suspense.

capturfiles_601.jpg?resize=490,371

Trapped in a web of mystery . . . and  danger!

capturfiles_62.jpg?resize=490,370

. . . Watched by the sinister Legless-Armless Girl
(for me, evoking Arachnida - The Human Spider in The Show)

capturfiles_122.jpg?resize=490,369

capturfiles_123.jpg?resize=490,368

With a cast that includes real human oddities, House of the Damned lances the same vein of flesh-crawling horror and the bizarre tapped into by Tod Browning in Freaks.

capturfiles_43.jpg?resize=490,372

Who . . . What . . . is THAT in the doorway?!

house-of-the-damned-1963.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-04-22-09h41m45s206.png

capturfiles_118.jpg?resize=490,370

capturfiles_140.jpg

IMO, House of the Damned is not a great horror movie. But its visual and atmospheric splendors, for me, make it a house worth visiting and spending time in.

• Like 1

Shame old films portray birth defects as "horror".  Such was done in the movie "Freaks" (1932), sad deformaties made it even BANNED for decades.  Did got a laugh out of "Chicken Woman" at the end.  :lol: Now how EXACTLY was that done to her? (and does she lay eggs)

Re:

capturfiles_140.jpg

Actress Frieda Pushnik was born armless and legless after her mother had an appendix operation while pregnant. Like to know the quack doctor whom performed the surgery.

Her story..

https://johnstownhistory.blogspot.com/2011/04/frieda-pushnik-little-half-girl-of.html

It was stated in the movie  this was a stage trick using mirrors and backdrops.

2 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I dig House of the Damned, which, for me, is redeemed by the artistry of cinematographer John M. Nickolaus Jr. and Expressionistic mise-en-scène of director Maury Dexter, who, combined, effectively create a spooky atmosphere of eerie, minatory suspense.

capturfiles_601.jpg?resize=490,371

Trapped in a web of mystery . . . and  danger!

capturfiles_62.jpg?resize=490,370

. . . Watched by the sinister Legless-Armless Girl
(for me, evoking Arachnida - The Human Spider in The Show)

capturfiles_122.jpg?resize=490,369

capturfiles_123.jpg?resize=490,368

With a cast that includes real human oddities, House of the Damned lances the same vein of flesh-crawling horror and the bizarre tapped into by Tod Browning in Freaks.

capturfiles_43.jpg?resize=490,372

Who . . . What . . . is THAT in the doorway?!

house-of-the-damned-1963.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-04-22-09h41m45s206.png

capturfiles_140.jpg

IMO, House of the Damned is not a great horror movie. But its visual and atmospheric splendors, for me, make it a house worth visiting and spending time in.

I saw it recently. The ending -- those people going up the staircase, looking for another place to live -- is very sad.

I was delighted that TCM showed The Half-Naked Truth (1932) tonight. It was great to see this charming film again. Lee Tracy motormouthing, Lupe Velez enticing, Eugene Pallette growling, Frank Morgan bossing and then caving, Franklin Pangborn pangborning (that prissy sissy act that gets an extra laugh deserves a verb of its own). Gregory La Cava was one of the top directors of comedy in the 1930s.

• Like 3

Silver Streak (1976) with

Gene Wilder 

Jill Clayburgh

Richard Pryor

Patrick McGoohan

A train traveling book editor sees a murder victim,  but later sees the victim alive and well. This leads to a fairly complicated plot involving stolen letters, forgery, and the FBI. 

I was disappointed.  The movie wasn't bad,  but mostly just average. Wilder is the editor, Clayburgh a secretary he falls for, and Pryor a thief who befriends Wilder. McGoohan as the main bad guy.

Wilder and Claybergh acted well enough, and their romance was believable but not very interesting. I've just seen both of them be better in better movies. 

Pryor I thought seemed like a surprisingly  natural actor. He seemed very comfortable in his role. It's a shame about his real life struggles. I think he would have become a very good character actor with a long career under better circumstances.

Regarding McGoohan. I'm currently watching his 60's television classic "The Prisoner". It's odd, but I find it surprisingly entertaining. But I am just not impressed  with McGoohans acting. It feels one dimensional to me in both tv show and movie. He is menacing , but that's about it. But I may be wrong. Wiki says he was a three time acting award winner.

Sadly, from my perspective the best thing about Silver Streak was the special effects work. Wilder ACTUALLY seemed to be putting himself in grave danger more than once. And the final train sequence looked incredibly realistic, especially for a movie from the 70's.

Almost forgot: An actor by the name of Richard Kiel is also in this. His character has some odd dental issues, and Kiel played this same odd role in two other movies, although  the characters name changed.

Grading this one with a C+

I wonder if THIS one is more interesting:

A3BA625E-02F6-45F8-822A-29CD4F1FEA5E.jpeg.e2da50c1cbf32da022626e09dea5b244.jpeg

• Like 1