Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...

speedracer5

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I watched a kinky, kooky, tutti-frutti little movie (a perverse remake of ANNE OF GREEN GABLES in a way) from 1947 called THE RED HOUSE on TCM, it was introduced by EDDIE MULLER, and I had forgotten how nice it is to watch a movie when the intro host actually has something useful, well-researched and thoughtful to say beforehand.

See the source image

it seems to have maybe been an independent film, released by UNITED ARTISTS, and as such- IT WALKS RIGHT UP TO THE EDGE OF THE PRODUCTION CODE IN A WAY FEW OTHER MOVIES OF THE TIME THAT I HAVE SEEN HAVE. it also has a lot of shots that are downright EUROPEAN LOOKING (very INGMAR BERGMAN-esque)

UNFORTUNATELY, it is those very visuals that are the problem in the film because at an hour and forty-one minutes, it is easily 20 minutes too long. There are far too many establishing shots and lingering glances, and an entire "subplot" (if it could be called that) with ONA MUNSON (as the mother of the protagonist in her final role) could easily have hit the floor of the editing room.

it's funny that EDDIE MULLER said that the director DELMER DAVIES felt his script was failing his actors and brought in a screenwriter to punch it up. it's really not the script- it's the padding of the film with lingering shots of THE WOODS OF VENTURA COUNTY that are the problem. they KILL the suspense and give you too much time to solve the mystery at the heart of the story on your own.

this film needed to move faster, but as it is- it's still interesting.

EDWARD G ROBINSON stars as a SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA farmer, JUDITH ANDERSON (looking SO MUCH like A GOOSE I half-expected her to flap her arms and start honking) is his sister in a rare sympathetic role (she gets a good scene at the end.) they adopted a foundling many years ago- a talented, likeable actress by the name of ALLENE ROBERTS- who it seemed as though i had seen before in something, but I had not.

there is, of course, A DARK SECRET INVOLVED.

This film has been labelled by some to be a "HORROR" film, it is not.

with RORY CALHOUN- wearing his belt buckle to the side in a very sexy way and JULIE LONDON as (EDDIE pointed out) "the most well-developed High School girl ever" (one has to wonder how many years she was held back)- this film really pushes the envelope when it comes to PERVERSITY.

Totally agree! Way too long.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(AND FOR THE SAKE OF EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, MISS JULIE LONDON, WHO WAS ALSO NO SLOUCH IN THE LOOKS DEPT:

See the source image

The word SULTRY was coined for Julie!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SansFin said:

There may be other reasons or causes which vary by age and culture. 

Vintage Australian Army shirts have central buttons that actually change course to the left after the belt line. I was told so there wasn't "bulk" in the front. It looks weird worn by a woman.

Side note: I bought a lot of thrift store  Australian Army clothing when I lived there in the 80's. I found it hilarious everything was Made in China. Even the wool shirts!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

It was from Angel (1984), an exploitation film about a serial killer stalking a teenage prostitute. Calhoun plays a former movie cowboy who hangs around Hollywood boulevard still in his costume. Well worth seeing with other interesting cast members, like Dick Shawn as a transvestite, Cliff Gorman as a cop, Susan Tyrell as a lesbian landlady.

I've never heard of this film. For the cast alone, sounds like worth a watch! LOL.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SansFin said:

My little Fuzzy can wax elegant on the subject of wearing the belt buckle off-centaur but it is my day to use the computer which is connected to the Internet and so I will attempt to provide a gist.

Some men wear their buckle to the left to make it easier for a typical right-handed woman to begin removing his trousers. A woman who is in-the-know will recognize this as a signal that he is willing to be companionable but he wishes a clear and unmistakable indication that she welcomes his attention. A woman taking his clothes off is often considered an effable sign of her wishes. 

Some musicians wear their belt buckle to the side so that it will not scratch the back of their guitar.

It is clearly not the case with Rory Calhoun but men who suffer from Dunlap Syndrome find it more comfortable to wear the buckle to the side when sitting. Note: Dunlap Syndrome is when a man's belly dunlaps over his belt.

Some men prefer the buckle to the side because a large one may overlap the top of the zipper and make it harder to unzip. It is typical that a man who does this will wear it to the side at all times out of habit rather than making a conscious decision for each belt.

Men who remain of considerable size even when flaccid may wear their buckle to the side to deflect attention away from the bulge in their trousers.

Fads, fashion and how an idol wears their buckle influences some men.

Wow. I learn something every day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

My little Fuzzy can wax elegant on the subject of wearing the belt buckle off-centaur but it is my day to use the computer which is connected to the Internet and so I will attempt to provide a gist.

Some men wear their buckle to the left to make it easier for a typical right-handed woman to begin removing his trousers. A woman who is in-the-know will recognize this as a signal that he is willing to be companionable but he wishes a clear and unmistakable indication that she welcomes his attention. A woman taking his clothes off is often considered an effable sign of her wishes. 

Some musicians wear their belt buckle to the side so that it will not scratch the back of their guitar.

It is clearly not the case with Rory Calhoun but men who suffer from Dunlap Syndrome find it more comfortable to wear the buckle to the side when sitting. Note: Dunlap Syndrome is when a man's belly dunlaps over his belt.

Some men prefer the buckle to the side because a large one may overlap the top of the zipper and make it harder to unzip. It is typical that a man who does this will wear it to the side at all times out of habit rather than making a conscious decision for each belt.

Men who remain of considerable size even when flaccid may wear their buckle to the side to deflect attention away from the bulge in their trousers.

Fads, fashion and how an idol wears their buckle influences some men.

Thank you! Especially in re: Dunlap Syndrome, It’s always important to draw attention to epidemics. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I dunno...maybe. If you squint he looks a little like SAM ELLIOT...

(is this from MOTEL HELL?)

**I read up on RORY on WIKIPEDIA and saw he was a GOLDWATER REPUBLICAN, so....that took him down more notches on THE SEXYMETER than the fact that he did not age gracefully)

According to the bio of Henry Willson (filled with juicy gossip) Rory and Guy Madison had a thing for awhile in their younger days. They later had  ranches near each other.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

According to the bio of Henry Willson (filled with juicy gossip) Rory and Guy Madison had a thing for awhile in their younger days. They later had  ranches near each other.

¡escandalo!

There was so much to mention with regard to THE RED HOUSE that I didn’t even mention that according to Wikipedia, Lon McAllister was gay 

(Edited)

5 hours ago, King Rat said:

When writing about I Died a Thousand Times, I forgot to mention my absolute favorite moment in the film: late in the film, a gas station has the sign, "S&H Green Stamps Accepted Only at Time of Purchase." Now that will take some of us back!

Please forgive me. I was born during the malaise of the Carter years, can you (or anyone) explain what S&H green stamps are?

I’m intrigued, yet too lazy to Google.

I thought LON McALLISTER had lived with the actor WILLIAM EYTHE (1918-57) until Eythe's early death in 1957 at age 39.

AS for Rory Calhoun . . . he died in 1999 at age 76 from emphysema, which he'd probably had for at least 15 years prior to his death.  When you see Rory in the early '80s he was already quite thin and craggy-faced and his voice was getting very rough.  And if Rory also drank a lot and stayed in the Sun frequently that's the 100% guarantee for looking 'Old' when you're not that old. 

LEE MARVIN died at 63 and looked 75+ from the effects of the cigarettes, alcohol and Sun.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I thought LON McALLISTER had lived with the actor WILLIAM EYTHE (1918-57) until Eythe's early death in 1957 at age 39.

AS for Rory Calhoun . . . he died in 1999 at age 76 from emphysema, which he'd probably had for at least 15 years prior to his death.  When you see Rory in the early '80s he was already quite thin and craggy-faced and his voice was getting very rough.  And if Rory also drank a lot and stayed in the Sun frequently that's the 100% guarantee for looking 'Old' when you're not that old. 

LEE MARVIN died at 63 and looked 75+ from the effects of the cigarettes, alcohol and Sun.   

You’re right in re: McAllister and Eythe, I am very sorry it has been a long day and I read the Wikipedia entry first thing this morning.

!

• Like 1

There's an interview of RORY CALHOUN from September 1983 conducted by Leta Powell Drake which is on YouTube.  I've watched it.  Rory C. would've been 61 at the time of this interview and he looked thin and old.  See for yourself.   There is a part of the interview where Rory is asked about working with Marilyn Monroe, btw. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

¡escandalo!

There was so much to mention with regard to THE RED HOUSE that I didn’t even mention that according to Wikipedia, Lon McAllister was gay 

(Edited)

Yes, I was surprised Eddie didn't mention that as he often does touch on that subject in cast members lives. He wasn't closety about it either (McCallister). I think he left the business over that and went into real estate.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Please forgive me. I was born during the malaise of the Carter years, can you (or anyone) explain what S&H green stamps are?

I vaguely remember them. I think there were several companies that issued them. You'd get so many  stamps with purchases and pasted them in books? When you accumulated enough of them you could buy things from a catalog?  Or used them as cash in stores? I'm hazy on all the details now. Not sure when they phased then out. Maybe the 70s?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I was surprised Eddie didn't mention that as he often does touch on that subject in cast members lives. He wasn't closety about it either (McCallister). I think he left the business over that and went into real estate.

Lon was cute.

He was no Rory though…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Hibi is correct. Grocery stores and other businesses gave away green stamps with each purchase. You pasted them in a book, and when you had collected enough of them, you could redeem them for various items. I believe Kroger had their own yellow stamps, and there were probably other brands, but S&H was the leader. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, King Rat said:

Hibi is correct. Grocery stores and other businesses gave away green stamps with each purchase. You pasted them in a book, and when you had collected enough of them, you could redeem them for various items. I believe Kroger had their own yellow stamps, and there were probably other brands, but S&H was the leader. 

There were also Gold Bond stamps, and others. A&P gave Plaid Stamps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I vaguely remember them. I think there were several companies that issued them. You'd get so many  stamps with purchases and pasted them in books? When you accumulated enough of them you could buy things from a catalog?  Or used them as cash in stores? I'm hazy on all the details now. Not sure when they phased then out. Maybe the 70s?

SOME places had stores where you could trade in your stamps, but mostly you bought things from catalogs.

s-l400.jpg

And I remember using them in the early 80's, until we all went on the "discount" kick, and stores took heat for having to surcharge prices to give out the stamps.  Still have a few uncashed books in a drawer somewhere, that I still keep in case of scavenger hunts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Rochester NY had a stand alone catalogue store. My Mother & I saved books of Stamps and received tennis rackets, lawn chairs and other things we really couldn't afford at the time.

I had a 6 foot tall one of these:

s-l640.jpg

but mistakenly left it in the basement of a house I rented in Worcester MA. I trust the landlord kept or sold it-he knew the antique value. Nostalgic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings