Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Just Watched...

speedracer5

Wow. All this takes me back! I'm going to ask my mother what she bought with hers. She probably doesn't remember. I remember the pasting them in books part. Both my mother and grandmother did that. I didn't realize you could still use them in the 80s. I was never given any. I wonder when stores actually stopped giving them out?

• Like 1

The Counterfeiters poster.jpg

The Counterfeiters (1948) Youtube-5/10

A Scotland Yard man goes undercover in America to nab a gang of counterfeiters.

An OK crime film that I saw for Lon Chaney Jr.  He was dropped from his Universal contract so was taking whatever role he could get, he was still pretty famous at the time so he gets special "and" billing in the credits. His role is another of his Lennie type parts from Of Mice And Men. It is a bit better than some his roles at the time since he gets be a bit dangerous as well as dumb. His sidekick is played by George O'Hanlon (later the voice of George Jetson) a wise guy who often takes advantage of his slow witted pal. The other interesting thing about this film is the main villain is played by Hugh Beaumont. Although he is not very convincing in the role it is fun to see Ward Cleaver packing a gun and beating people up.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Wow. All this takes me back! I'm going to ask my mother what she bought with hers. She probably doesn't remember. I remember the pasting them in books part. Both my mother and grandmother did that. I didn't realize you could still use them in the 80s. I was never given any. I wonder when stores actually stopped giving them out?

i am old enough to recall CAMEL CASH, and the bomber jacket with JOE CAMEL you could get for "$"100,000 ("in CAMEL CASH").

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I was also not aware of that fact [that RORY CALHOUN was HOT]

Dayum!

speedracer must be busy with work or something, because I know she's a SIMPSONS fan and I know she knows the bit about RORY CALHOUN from the 101 GREYHOUNDS EPISODE.

"He was that actor who stood upright and talked..."

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this is LEGAL TENDER in SOUTH CAROLINA BTW:

See the source image

LOL! I wonder how long it would take to accumulate 100,000 in Camel Cash???

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:03 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

(is this from MOTEL HELL?)

No, this is from Motel Hell ("It takes all types of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.")

motelhell_2.jpg

• Thanks 1

The Map of Tiny Perfect Things (2021)

A teenaged boy who is in a loop reliving the same day over and over again has mastered the sequence and pace of his actions to bring him to a moment which he considers pivotal. He is quite shook when a teenaged girl whom he has never before seen inadvertently ruins his plans.

This movie quite surprised me. It has been my experience that: Amazon-associated movies have excellent production values but are in all other regards fairly mindless schlock. I expected their treatment of a time loop to be full of inaccuracies and inanities but they actually did it astoundingly well.

They avoid much of the histrionics and melondrama by starting at a point when both the leads have accepted their curse and are bent on making the best of their situation. The time-repetition has in a sense become to them simply a setting in like vein to the town in which they live and who their parents are.

He is in a normal teenage-hormone-driven rush to establish a relationship with the girl. She feels they have all the time in the world. The leads have an interesting chemistry while staying true to their characters. The entire cast gave good performances.

The ending is telegraphed quite early but it is presented with sufficient finesse that it is not objectionable. I believe it is acceptable because this does not pretend to be high art, it does not pretend to be hard science-fiction and I could not immediately think of a better ending.

7.6/11

The great downside of this movie is that it is the property of: Amazon and I could not find any reasonable and civilized source for it other than subscribing to: Amazon Prime Video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL! I wonder how long it would take to accumulate 100,000 in Camel Cash???

My little Fuzzy has a travel clock and two quite luscious bathrobes which he acquired through Benson & Hedges promotions. They are such quality that they are still quite nice despite being more than twenty years old. He reports that he acquired these fairly quickly because a bartender would save empty packs discarded by customers of that brand and of Marlboro for him and he reciprocally would supply empty packs from the brand which she collected. He acquired packs of her brand from a bartender who saved them and B & H packs in exchange for Marlboro packs. 

It is inappropriate to this thread but as this is already an off-topic post: Two housewives decided that they needed to get back into shape. Gyms were so expensive and jogging was so boring that they finally settled on swimming three days a week. They each did a few laps the first morning and then one sat on the side of the pool while the other swam a bit more. The second woman finally joined her friend and was surprised to find her smoking a cigarette. "How did you do that?" she asked. "I did not see you go to the locker room." "It is simple," her friend said. "I knew I would want a smoke about now and so I put a cigarette and lighter into a prophylactic, tied it closed and stuffed it inside my suit when I was changing. I knew it would work because a prophylactic has to be waterproof." The second woman knew a great idea when she heard it and resolved to bring those things with her the next time they swam. It is sad to say that she forgot to bring a prophylactic when she left the house and so stopped at a pharmacy on her way to the pool. "I would like to buy a prophylactic," she told the clerk. He thought to have a little fun with her and asked: "What size would you like?" "I do not know," she said. "Just something that will fit over a Camel."

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Rochester NY had a stand alone catalogue store. My Mother & I saved books of Stamps and received tennis rackets, lawn chairs and other things we really couldn't afford at the time.

I had a 6 foot tall one of these:

s-l640.jpg

but mistakenly left it in the basement of a house I rented in Worcester MA. I trust the landlord kept or sold it-he knew the antique value. Nostalgic.

In NYC, we had Plaid Stamps besides Green Stamps. My mom would  fill the books with Plaid Stamps redeem them for household appliances. Electric can opener, a toaster, Corningwear oven proof pans ( wish i had those ) Corningwear teapot. toaster oven etc. Whenevr I watch an old tv show and see that Faberware coffee percolator or Corningwear, it reminds me of those stamps. Btw, that  Faberware coffeepot costs  $125now

• Like 3

I asked my mother and she said you could use the green stamps in stores, too, as cash to buy things (the stores that honored them) She mentioned where she worked had a break in once and all the green stamp books were stolen as well as cash. (You can't redeem the stamps for cash, so they either had to use them to buy stuff from the catalog or for items in the store).

• Like 3

Moss rose poster small.jpg

Moss Rose (1947) Youtube-6/10

A chorus girl (Peggy Cummins) discovers her fellow dancer murdered, she becomes involved with the prime suspect (Victor Mature).

A pretty good murder mystery, a Vincent Price film I never saw before. He is good but his role is very small as a police inspector on the case. The film is set in Victorian London, Mature seems out of place but his lack of an English accent is explained because he spent most of his life in Canada. An interesting thing here is the bizarre plot-Cummins thinks Mature is guilty but instead of turning him in to the police, she blackmails him into taking her into his rich mansion so she can see how the other half lives! Cummins overdoes the Cockney accent at times but she is fun to watch, this was just 3 years before her greatest performance as the insane sharpshooter in Gun Crazy. Ethel Barrymore plays Mature's over protective mother.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 12:33 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

speedracer must be busy with work or something, because I know she's a SIMPSONS fan and I know she knows the bit about RORY CALHOUN from the 101 GREYHOUNDS EPISODE.

"He was that actor who stood upright and talked..."

Lol! I just saw this.  You're right, I was busy with work.  The inventory project from hell + being part of the exciting world of ISO 9001 certification.  ::snore::

Smithers! Look he's standing up! I've never seen anything so adorable! You know who it reminds me of?

(Smithers names some famous dogs and Snoop Dogg)

No no! That person who's always standing and walking! 

Rory Calhoun? 

Yes! That's it! 

RIP Rory Calhoun (died on this day in 1999) : r/TheSimpsons

I love the "See My Vest" part.  My favorite part for whatever reason is when Mr. Burns goes, "Grizzly Bear underwear! Turtle's necks I've got my share. Beret of poodle on my noodle, it's the best!" 

---

Thank you for posting this, Lorna! My precious thread got bumped to page 2 and that is just unacceptable! 

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

this is LEGAL TENDER in SOUTH CAROLINA BTW:

See the source image

I've never smoked a cigarette ever in my entire life and even I knew about Camel Cash.  Not sure why, but I remember this! Maybe it's all that cigarette advertising of my youth.

slim.jpg

BART: I kind of want a cigarette.
HOMER: Good. Let's get you a pack. What's your brand?
BART: Anything Slim! 
HOMER: D'oh! 

Criminal Court film poster.jpg

Criminal Court (1946) Youtube-5/10

A lawyer (Tom Conway) defends his girl friend (Martha O'Driscoll) on a murder charge.

This was one of director Robert Wise's early films. It tries to pack a lot into it's short (63 min) running time. Conway has some courtroom histrionics early on, even pulling a gun while cross examining a witness. O'Driscoll (she was in the Abbott & Costello comedy Here Come The Co Eds one year before this) finds a dead body but Conway was actually responsible (accidentally) for the killing. Some more twists and turns occur with Wise trying out some directorial touches he would soon perfect in Born To Kill (1947) and The Set Up (1949). The only other cast member I knew was Robert Armstrong (King Kong ) as a gangster. Worth seeing if you are a fan of Wise and his early noir films.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/5/2022 at 2:33 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol! I just saw this.  You're right, I was busy with work.

RIP Rory Calhoun (died on this day in 1999) : r/TheSimpsons

I've been watching old episodes of THE SIMPSONS and thought speedracer when I watched "Little Big Mom" from Season 11.

That's the episode where Lucy McGillcuddy Ricardo Carmichael comes from heaven to help Lisa "get revenge on these bums": Bart and Homer.

375px-Lucy_McGillicuddy.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

Three frustrated divorced tarts living in a repressed and repressive small town forget the old adage: "Be careful what you wish for" and accidentally conjure the perfect man.

I trust that this movie was very much of its time. The fact that that was in the last century in a particularly uninspired decade means its resonance is lost on me.

The cast is nearly beyond reproach but for incidentals. Jack Nicholson's hairstyle is the worst this side of Niflheim. Cher has the flounciest chest of her career. I suspect that Susan Sarandon performed while on day passes from a rehab clinic. I have no idea what Michelle Pfeiffer thought she was doing.

The gem is: Carel Struycken as the enigmatic butler: Fidel. He is sheer perfection! Some may know him as Troi's mother's manservant in: Star Trek:The Degeneration or as Lurch in: The Addams Family (1991) and: Addams Family Values (1993). His very presence and disciplined manner brings in a surreal aspect.

The production values were quite high even although the cinematography occasionally used cheap tricks. The special effects were obviously  conceived, designed and implemented by Mrs. Murphy's fifth grade class.

I am glad that I watched this movie but I feel absolutely no compulsion to buy the DVD for repeat viewings.

5.1/12

This movie is available for viewing for free with commercials on: TubiTV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

the-day-the-earth-stood-still-publicity-

The Day the Earth Stood Still from 1951 with Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Sam Jaffe and Hugh Marlowe

So many movies and TV shows have copied and expanded on the ideas in The Day the Earth Stood Still that it takes a little movie-history perspective to appreciate the freshness, at the time, of director Robert Wise's crisp interpretation of Harry Bates' story and Edmund H. North's screenplay.

With a modest budget and the limitations of 1950s movie-making technology, The Day the Earth Stood Still won't wow modern audiences with special effects or elaborate sets, but maybe that is a hidden gift as it forced director Wise (who's directed impressive movies in several different genres) to focus on developing the characters and storylines. 

The story itself is almost austere. A spaceship lands in Washington D.C. An alien and a robot alight. The human-in-appearance alien, played by Michael Rennie, tries to explain his purpose, but the public is scared and the military responds with force. In response, the robot vaporizes the nearby military's weapons, while Rennie goes into hiding amongst the population.

Rennie, staying in a boarding house and trying to understand "regular" earthlings, meets a fellow boarder, a young war-widow living with her son, played by Patricia Neal. As Rennie gets to know Neal, her son and her suspicious-of-Rennie boyfriend, played by Hugh Marlowe, there are a variety of responses on both sides - fear, antagonism, kindness, humor and more - which personalizes the alien Rennie to the humans and the humans to the alien. 

Away from the "big message" that's coming, it is these small interactions that are the heart of The Day the Earth Stood Still. It's the "you'll learn not to hate someone who is different from you if you really get to know them" lesson, smartly shown not preached. It's Neal's and Rennie's acting talents in these scenes that convincingly carry a story that could easily have slipped into camp.

Rennie, still in hiding and now trying to arrange a meeting with the "scientists of the world," solves some ridiculously complex-looking formula a famous physicist, played by the always wonderful Sam Jaffe, is working on. It further personalizes Rennie, but it also reminds us that the earth is just one small dot in the universe. Plus, it's always fun when the "smart" alien humbles even the most-brilliant human. 

The military, portrayed here as nearly thoughtless and hyper aggressive, continues its hunt for Rennie, leading to the movie's climax. (Spoiler alert) Rennie, now back at his ship and protected by the robot, delivers an ultimatum to earth: Don't bring your wars and violence to space or we will destroy your planet.

There's more to Rennie's message: he explains how the aliens have turned the policing of their world over to robots so that they no longer have to worry about violence. It's a lovely thought until you ask the inevitable "who watches (or programs) the watchmen" question.

The Day the Earth Stood Still's powerful message does have an element of condescending simplicity and the movie's special effects look more like a high-school science project. Still, it is an incredible early effort at bringing serious science fiction to the screen that has been copied and riffed on ever since. It should also remind modern movie makers that story, characters and ideas, not wizbang special effects, are what make truly great movies. 

N.B. A large spaceship lands in Washington. A giant robot emerges who proceeds to vaporize all the military weapons aimed at it. The impregnable robot then stands, sentry like, outside the also impregnable ship, yet the military assigns just two (two!) lackadaisical soldiers to guard the ship and robot at night. If earth's leaders were really that stupid, the planet would deserve to be vaporized.
giphy.gif
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, SansFin said:

The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

This movie is available for viewing for free with commercials on: TubiTV.

i recently referenced the "CHERRY PIT BAZOOKA BARFING" scene  in this movie to my new therapist as a metaphor for what my first session with him after not having had any counseling for three years must've been like.

he hadn't seen the movie though.

• Like 1

i watched BLACK SABBATH (1963)- an ITALIAN portmanteau horror movie (three stories in all), directed by MARIO BAVA and starring BORIS KARLOFF and a lot of people whose names are comprised mainly of vowels.

it's not good, but damned if there aren't amusing moments in the first two stories (which end so conventionally after having been pretty outlandishly presented so that they disappoint greatly)

there's one about a nurse that plays a lot like QUALQUIERE OCCURIDO A BABY JANE ...

Close-Up on "Black Sabbath" and "Bay of Blood": Double Bava Is Horror At  Its Best on Notebook | MUBI

and there's one about a PHONE STALKER...

...but the final story which features KARLOFF as a VAMPIRE (here called- i think- a Vruluk from the Eastern European word) has a lot going for it, as well as a great ending, and it  possibly could've made an interesting feature on its own, had it been written and directed by more capable people.

Black Sabbath (1963) - IMDb

(lo siento, Senor Bava, but it's the truth)

• Like 6

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings