Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"That Hamilton Woman" (1941) had a quote that made me gag.....Macaroni pudding.  I had to look it up to see if it was for real.  Yuck, it is.

picQhb7sw.jpg

...but it doesn't make me gag more than that snob Lady (yeah right) Frances.

[snip] ....

Well, if it was that Hamilton woman who concocted that dish, then no wonder they called her that.

"Cria Cuervos" (1976)  in case anyone is interested in the 45 she's playing.

Cr%C3%ADa+cuervos+(Ana).jpg

"Porque te vas" by Jeanette

Got a laugh at the beginning, I think this is the first movie TCM ever showed where a guy came and went at the same time.DevilSmiley.gif

Sounds no worse than rice pudding--granted, I find rice pudding nauseating--the recipe is basic (sorry, the amounts are metric & temperature are/is in Centigrade--recipe is taken from a British webpage.

"100 grams cooked macaroni

2 eggs

2 tablespoons sugar

600 ml milk

Grated Nutmeg

Grated Lemon Rind

Pre-heat oven to 180 Degrees Centigrade.  Place cooked macaroni in well-buttered casserole dish.  Beat eggs & mix with sugar & milk.  Scatter grated nutmeg & grated lemon rind over mixture & carefully pour over macaroni.  Bake in oven for one hour until golden on top & the custard has set."

A sweet version of macaroni  & cheese--I'd try that over rice pudding.

• Like 1

I just finished watching Clash By Night.  I think I tried watching this movie once before and just couldn't get "into it." I'm sorry to report that the same happened again.  Even Barbara Stanwyck and a young Marilyn Monroe couldn't save this movie.  It was boring.  The one character's Chinese impression was beyond horrible and ugh.  I don't even want to talk about this movie anymore.  I was tempted to bail on it and go back to marathon watching I Love Lucy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  But I persevered and got through and that's about it.

I've moved on now to Easy Living, a Lucille Ball movie that I recorded.  It's got the icky Victor Mature (he's good in some of the movies I've seen him in, he's horribly unattractive to me though) so hopefully he won't ruin it for me.  It also co-stars Lizabeth Scott, so we'll see how this goes.

I really like Clash by Night even though Stanwyck seems a little too old for the part. Easy Living is n interesting story about pro football before it became whatever it is these days.

1. I just finished watching Clash By Night.  I think I tried watching this movie once before and just couldn't get "into it." I'm sorry to report that the same happened again.  Even Barbara Stanwyck and a young Marilyn Monroe couldn't save this movie.  It was boring. 

2. I've moved on now to Easy Living, a Lucille Ball movie that I recorded.  It's got the icky Victor Mature (he's good in some of the movies I've seen him in, he's horribly unattractive to me though) so hopefully he won't ruin it for me.  It also co-stars Lizabeth Scott, so we'll see how this goes.

1. YES! Clifford Odets- who wrote CBN- was the worst. There are very few classic movies that I hate and nearly all of them were written by Odets. Not only Can Stanwyck and Monroe not save it; neither can Robert Ryan nor the smoking hot Keith Andes- who is gorgeous and interesting in his part...he never made it big and later killed himself.

2. Several posts below this, please check out my review of EASY LIVING, I watched it yesterday. Kinky movie.

1. YES! Clifford Odets- who wrote CBN- was the worst. There are very few classic movies that I hate and nearly all of them were written by Odets. Not only Can Stanwyck and Monroe not save it; neither can Robert Ryan nor the smoking hot Keith Andes- who is gorgeous and interesting in his part...he never made it big and later killed himself.

2. Several posts below this, please check out my review of EASY LIVING, I watched it yesterday. Kinky movie.

I saw Keith Andes in the musical WILDCAT,during it's Philadelphia tryout, and really liked it and him.  I know he wasn't a big enough star, but I always wished he had done the film version of KISS ME KATE.  Of course, I also wish anyone, other than Kathryn Grayson had done the film, as well.

• Like 1

I saw Keith Andes in the musical WILDCAT,during it's Philadelphia tryout, and really liked it and him.  I know he wasn't a big enough star, but I always wished he had done the film version of KISS ME KATE.  Of course, I also wish anyone, other than Kathryn Grayson had done the film, as well.

AndesMM2.jpg

Yes, please.

• Like 1

Ann Blyth would have been a good choice for Kiss Me Kate (1953), IMHO.  She was a soprano w/o the shrill quality Grayson had to her voice--She sang w/o dubbing in "The Great Caruso" (1950) (she got to sing as Caruso's wife), "The Student Prince" (1953), "Rose Marie" (1954), & "Kismet" (1955).

• Like 2

I saw Keith Andes in the musical WILDCAT,during it's Philadelphia tryout, and really liked it and him. 

I never saw the show but have enjoyed the original cast album for years. Great score -- it "takes my fancy."

• Like 2

Ann Blyth would have been a good choice for Kiss Me Kate (1953), IMHO.  She was a soprano w/o the shrill quality Grayson had to her voice--She sang w/o dubbing in "The Great Caruso" (1950) (she got to sing as Caruso's wife), "The Student Prince" (1953), "Rose Marie" (1954), & "Kismet" (1955).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Kathryn Grayson's singing excruciating to listen to. I always skip through her singing scenes in "Anchors Aweigh."

• Like 2

Swithin--thanks for the "Wildcat' clip.  I see why Lucille Ball wore her voice out before 200 performances--looks like she was in every number & w/o vocal training & rest between shows--spelled disaster--don't know why she didn't foresee it.

speedracer5--Grayson's voice is OK, except when she's going for notes only dogs can hear--then, if it's a solo, I forward through it--if it's balanced by Howard Keel's voice, I just mute her voice, then turn the sound on for his.

• Like 2

Swithin--thanks for the "Wildcat' clip.  I see why Lucille Ball wore her voice out before 200 performances--looks like she was in every number & w/o vocal training & rest between shows--spelled disaster--don't know why she didn't foresee it.

speedracer5--Grayson's voice is OK, except when she's going for notes only dogs can hear--then, if it's a solo, I forward through it--if it's balanced by Howard Keel's voice, I just mute her voice, then turn the sound on for his.

I prefer Cy Coleman's early scores for the shows he did with Carolyn Leigh -- Wildcat and Little Me (also the lesser-known Seesaw) -- better than his mega-hits like Sweet Charity, Barnum, etc., though I do enjoy them as well.

• Like 1

I prefer Cy Coleman's early scores for the shows he did with Carolyn Leigh -- Wildcat and Little Me (also the lesser-known Seesaw) -- better than his mega-hits like Sweet Charity, Barnum, etc., though I do enjoy them as well.

SEESAW is not little known, to me.  It's among my top 5 favorite things I ever saw on a stage (and I've see tons of shows).  It is the best danced show, I ever saw, and  it was co-choreographed by a friend.  I saw it 5 times. Three times with the phenomenal Michele Lee and twice with less phenomenal, but very good Lucie Arnaz.

• Like 2

Sadly, yes.  I never understood how anyone saw or heard Glenn Close at a musical audition and hired her.  More than once!

There is a rumour -- maybe it's more than that now -- that Glenn Close will star in the revival of ALW's Sunset Blvd. musical, in London in a couple of years. He must like her. He battled with Patti LuPone, who premiered the work so splendidly in London in 1993. 

There is a rumour -- maybe it's more than that now -- that Glenn Close will star in the revival of ALW's Sunset Blvd. musical, in London in a couple of years. He must like her. He battled with Patti LuPone, who premiered the work so splendidly in London in 1993. 

Except he replaced Patti with Betty Buckley, in London.  The show was closed and reworked with Betty.  Yes, he must like her.  Close's Norma was among my top 5 least favorite things I ever saw on a stage.  In fact, it's number 1.

Except he replaced Patti with Betty Buckley, in London.  The show was closed and reworked with Betty.  Yes, he must like her.  Close's Norma was among my top 5 least favorite things I ever saw on a stage.  In fact, it's number 1.

You're lucky you missed the recent revival of A Delicate Balance, although Bob Balaban and Clare Higgins were quite good. (The others in the cast were Glenn Close, John Lithgow, and an actress I usually can't stand, Martha Plimpton.)

You're lucky you missed the recent revival of A Delicate Balance, although Bob Balaban and Clare Higgins were quite good. (The others in the cast were Glenn Close, John Lithgow, and an actress I usually can't stand, Martha Plimpton.)

I don't, particularly, dislike her as an actress.  It's more the singing.  Odd, since she started as a singer with Sing Out America (Up With People).   Although, how anyone ever saw her as a leading lady, baffles me.

Last night I watched Casablanca for a millionth time. I love that movie, it never gets old.

This afternoon, I watched The Sisters with Bette Davis and Errol Flynn for probably the twentieth time. This DVD was briefly MIA and I just found it today in the PS2 so I had to watch it. I really enjoy this film. It's a different, softer side of Bette Davis that isn't seen in many of her films. Flynn, plays a more dramatic part and is a nice counterpart to Davis' part. Plus, he is super cute in this film--no wonder Bette Davis falls head over heels for him immediately. I also liked Alan Hale, Beulah Bondi and Anita Louise's roles as well. Patric Knowles I didn't enjoy so much, he's so bland. He's bland in everything I've seen him in.

Now I'm watching a film I actually haven't seen before-- Ladies They Talk About a 1933 pre-code with Barbara Stanwyck. I love Stanwyck's pre-codes. She does a great job playing the bad girl/good girl. This movie makes being in prison look like fun. The women get their hair done, smoke, sing, watch movies, play cards, wear rather cute looking prison uniforms and get to decorate their cells or "rooms" as they call them to their liking. Their cells look like college dorm rooms. These women all seem happy and content to be in the State Pen. They even get mail delivered to them that hasn't been read first. They also look like they're able to shower and do their makeup everyday.

Then you've got the gabby warden who shows Stanwyck all the prison keys and does everything but open the door up herself to let Stanwyck out.

Well now I've finished watching the movie. I wasn't trying to live blog myself watching it (I doubt anyone would want to read THAT). Overall, I thought this was a great movie. Though the almost prison escape scene was a bit unrealistic. Would the prison cops really just start shooting like that? I don't think Stanwyck's buddies were shooting back. Then Stanwyck, when being punished, doesn't even receive a harsher punishment, only that she can't meet with the parole board. The woman aided and abetted a prison escape (albeit an unsuccessful one) and no real punishment. She's out within a manner of months.

I like how at the end, she was all set to kill the guy whom she thought ratted her and her gang out and by the end of the scene, she's marrying him! People seem to marry rather impetuously in these old movies.

The other thing I noticed is that TCM had this film as being released in 1933, but the end of the film clearly said MCMXXXII--1932 (whew! So glad we learned Roman numerals in school. May have been the last class to do so. Sure helps in knowing when old movies & television shows were released).

• Like 1

The other thing I noticed is that TCM had this film as being released in 1933, but the end of the film clearly said MCMXXXII--1932 (whew! So glad we learned Roman numerals in school. May have been the last class to do so. Sure helps in knowing when old movies & television shows were released).

That date at the end of the film would have been referring to the copyright which is filed when the movie is in production.  The film is often released the following year hence the mismatch.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Kathryn Grayson's singing excruciating to listen to.

It's not just her voice, it's the weird expressions she makes with her face that irks me. Jeanette MacDonald is another one that makes silly faces when she sings.

• Like 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Kathryn Grayson's singing excruciating to listen to.

It's not just her voice, it's the weird expressions she makes with her face that irks me. Jeanette MacDonald is another one that makes silly faces when she sings.

She also used to slide up to her top notes, and they edited out the slides, to make it seem like she just hit the note, straight-on.

• Like 1