Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

"The Tingler" (1959)--Starring Vincent Price, Judith Evelyn, and Darryl Hickman.  Produced and directed by William Castle.

Film is prefaced by an appearance by director Castle, who says there's a thing called "the tingler" in sensitive people; it will kill, unless screamed into harmlessness.  This is followed by disembodied heads screaming for all they're worth, giving the camera a closeup of their tonsils. 

The plot; Dr. Chapin (Price) discovers during an autopsy that the dead man's spine was almost cracked in two.  He theorizes that an organism that lives on fear had contributed to his death.  Experiments with Lysergic Acid ( LSD) are a major plot point.  The Tingler gets loose in a movie theater, and Chapin has to set all to rights again.  Does he succeed?

Seeing Price and Judith Evelyn go on "bad trips" is reason enough to see this movie, which has a few scares, but is more memorable for the gimmick used to sell the film.

To mimic "The Tingler", certain seats in theatres showing the film were wired for low voltage electrical shocks.  Presumably, people watching from those seats would scream their heads off.  

An enjoyable watch.  2.4/4.

Price, to movie audience: "Scream!  Scream for your Lives!!"

Source--archive.org.  Search "stiller_16".  Restrict the results to movies only.  Should be the first result; was archived Sept. 7th, 2015.

• Like 4

I watched Daughter Of Horror(aka Dementia)(1955) last night.Quite a strange movie.  On IMDb they list the genre as Film Noir/Mystery/Horror,but i have some different genre labels.They are Psychiatric Thriller,Psychotic Thriller and Psychotropic Thriller...any one of those labels works better for me than the "official" genre labels.

The lighting,camera angles and the dark creepy look of this film make it a hit IMO.Love the way the camera catches the weird,mentally unstable look on the faces of the characters. :o

For me,this is one of those rare films where the more i watch it,the more i like it...it kinda grows on ya.

• Like 3

The Young Savages (1961) East Harlem Gang Noir

...Entertaining time capsule of NYC. Screencaps from Youtube 7/10. Full Review with more screencaps here: http://noirsville.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-young-savages-1961-east-harlem-gang.html

Screenshot%2B%25288403%2529%2B-%2BCopy.p

Arthur Reardon (John Davis Chandler), Danny DiPace (Stanley Kristien), and  Anthony "Batman" Aposto (Neil Nephew)

Ah-HA! "John Davis Chandler", eh?!

(...so THAT'S the guy who always kind'a reminded me of Frank Gorshin back in the day, eh CJ?)

• Like 1

Screenshot%2B%25288403%2529%2B-%2BCopy.p

Arthur Reardon (John Davis Chandler), Danny DiPace (Stanley Kristien), and  Anthony "Batman" Aposto (Neil Nephew)

Ah-HA! "John Davis Chandler", eh?!

(...so THAT'S the guy who always kind'a reminded me of Frank Gorshin back in the day, eh CJ?)

Chandler was considered to be a real up and comer on the strength of his performance in 'The Young Savages'. He is very, very good in it.

But the public just couldn't warm to his unattractive looks, so greater fame was not to be.

Here's John Davis Chandler looking a little more civilized.

3202208.jpg

I most recently saw him in the movie 'Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead' (1994). He was funny as hell in it.

The first movie I ever saw him in was 'The Young Savages' and I never forgot him - always recognizing him immediately in everything he appeared in. 
  • Like 2

CARRIE (1976)

Starring Sissy Spacek, Amy Irving, Piper Laurie, and Betty Buckley.

I knew a good amount of what happens in this film from articles and the Internet (and the failed Broadway version of this movie). Sissy Spacek was really quite endearing in this, up until the prom scene, that is. I was surprised to see Miss Betty Buckley in this; I've been quite a fan of hers ever since I first listened to the "Cats" cast album.  I find it ironic that she played Margaret White in the Broadway flop. I guess I don't really need to explain just how weird this movie is to any of you. 

• Like 2

I most recently saw him in the movie 'Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead' (1994). He was funny as hell in it.

The first movie I ever saw him in was 'The Young Savages' and I never forgot him - always recognizing him immediately in everything he appeared in. 

I first noticed him in Mad Dog Coll. He's enjoyably crazed in that. I also liked him in The Hooked Generation (1968), a low-budget drive-in B-movie.

• Like 2

The Ear (1970).

A deputy minister in the Czechoslovak Communist government and his return home from a party-like official function to find the power out, followed by some men standing outside watching them. They immediately fear that they're being spied on, a supposition fueled in part by the fact that a couple of other officials have been purged.

However, the couple are also at each other's throats because their relationship is a mess (one review I read mentioned "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf"). At times this makes the movie uncomfortable to watch because the wife in particular is such a jerk. The movie is also a bit of a slog because it keeps flashing back to the party earlier in the evening.

I don't think this one is available on DVD in North America, which is a shame because despite its flaws, it's actually quite good. I'm also quite surprised that it got made at all in Czechoslovakia after 1968. (It was apparently banned for years.) There's also one minor problem with the subtitles, in that they consistently use Ť/ť when Š is called for in proper names.

8.5/10

• Like 2

CARRIE (1976)

I knew a good amount of what happens in this film from articles and the Internet (and the failed Broadway version of this movie). 

Apparently, everyone ELSE has seen this fabled Broadway version, but it's now become popular with high-school drama clubs (obviously):

(Although, it's not exactly Sondheim's "Merrily We Roll Along" that it'll make some unappreciated comeback...)

"Reptilicus" (1961)--Dreadful horror movie filmed entirely in Copenhagen (according to the end credits).  Danish entry into the creature feature market features characters dumber than doorknobs (one scientist leaves the laboratory door open and the temperature elevates so the frozen creature can come back to life: another genius snacks on part of the sample of dinosaur tissue he's examining under a microscope: which one would you pick to die first?).

Included in the running time is an 7-8 minute tour of Copenhagen.

Other absurdities include: soldiers firing a gun through a closed window, yet the window never breaks; people running in the panicked crowds who look into the camera and smile/grin/wave; the animation that represents "acid slime" from the title creature.

For Bad movie lovers only.

Source--archive.org.

• Like 1

I believe Reptilicus is going to be on TCM in May as part of the "Creature Feature" spotlight, although it's going to be the American version.

I believe Reptilicus is going to be on TCM in May as part of the "Creature Feature" spotlight, although it's going to be the American version.

And, of course, was the first movie to be heckled in Netflix's new current reboot of MST3K, although not one of the prime episodes of the series.

ANATOMY OF A MURDER (1959)

Starring Jimmy Stewart, Ben Gazzara, Lee Remick, Kathryn Grant, & George C. Scott.

Hulu just recently put this movie on their site/app, which I was excited to see, as this film has been on my watch list for a while now. I was not shocked by the subject matter of this movie, but more shocked by the fact that it was released in 1959. It is to my understanding that the film was banned in certain states (Chicago comes immediately to mind as one of the examples). I woke up early this morning, and as a result, am pretty tired, so I may or may not have dozed off once at the 1.5 hour mark. I was awoken by Mr. Duke Ellington's music blaring (pleasantly) from my television, and may or may not have wondered where I was, and what day it was. That being said, I enjoyed the portion of the film I did watch. 

So you missed the whole part about Lee Remick's panties?

I couldn't help but think of that when I was watching Twilight of Honor. George Bailey talking about Lee Remick's panties is vaguely shocking; Richard Chamberlain asking about the details of the murder victim's relationship with the defendant's wife is just skeezy.

• Like 1

I just watched I Married A Witch.    Nice comedy with a good performance by Lake (who only gave too many so-so performances),  and March (just another fine performance for him),  and in a secondary part Susan Hayward.

I found Ben's comments about Hayward somewhat 'off';    When he introduced the film he said 'with a young Susan Hayward'.   

Well Hayward was over 5 years older than Lake (who was 20 when this film was released).    Yea, I understood what Ben was trying to communicate:  that this was an early film in Hayward's career.  Hayward was rather unique in that she didn't really get a lot of notice and leading roles until she was almost 30 (E.g. Smash-Up) and her most well known films and performances being when she was in her late 30s and early 40s.     

I would have said that by the time Hayward's career really took off,  Lake's was winding down. 

• Like 2

La La Land.  I just saw this Oscar winner (and we're reminded of course, that La La Land, was NOT in fact, the Best Picture winner) and I must say that it left me very underwhelmed.  I loved the bright colors in the film and Emma Stone's costumes.  I loved her apartment, especially the big mural of Ingrid Bergman and all the old movie posters.  I also like Stone and Ryan Gosling, as actors.  However, they are not musical performers.  Even in musicals where stars like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly sang, despite not having the strongest voices (don't get me wrong, their voices were pleasant, but they were no Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra), their singing voices are fine, because their excellent dancing more than makes up for it which lends a bit of charm to their singing.  It's apparent that Stone and Gosling had to learn routines, which of course all musical performers have to do, but with the La La Land crew, it's more than obvious that they had to learn choreography (I'm not sure if that made any sense). John Legend's singing however, was excellent (because he's a real singer). The songs and dancing just didn't flow with the narrative of the film.  It felt forced.  I cannot remember a single song from the movie.  I did like the scene at the Griffith Observatory where the characters end up after seeing Rebel Without a Cause.  The ending of the film was bittersweet.  

This film had its moments, but I do not feel that it was worth as much acclaim as it received.  It almost seems that the film was hyped because it was something different, not because it was good.  I just wish that it had been a little better.  I found it disappointing. 

• Like 3

ANATOMY OF A MURDER (1959)

Starring Jimmy Stewart, Ben Gazzara, Lee Remick, Kathryn Grant, & George C. Scott.

Hulu just recently put this movie on their site/app, which I was excited to see, as this film has been on my watch list for a while now. I was not shocked by the subject matter of this movie, but more shocked by the fact that it was released in 1959. It is to my understanding that the film was banned in certain states (Chicago comes immediately to mind as one of the examples).

The film was not banned in Chicago, although Mayor Daley and Police Commissioner O'Connor initially stopped it, claiming some scenes were obscene (words like "rape" and "contraceptive" were deemed obscene.) However, a Federal Judge, Julius Miner, went to a private showing and declared the film was not obscene. He ruled that the Mayor and Commissioner's actions were unconstitutional and the film was allowed to be shown.

One reporter for the Chicago Tribune wrote "Will they try to ban the dictionary next?  Why not grow up, abolish the censor board, and save money at the same time?"

CARRIE (1976)

I knew a good amount of what happens in this film from articles and the Internet (and the failed Broadway version of this movie). Sissy Spacek was really quite endearing in this, up until the prom scene, that is. I was surprised to see Miss Betty Buckley in this; I've been quite a fan of hers ever since I first listened to the "Cats" cast album.  I find it ironic that she played Margaret White in the Broadway flop. I guess I don't really need to explain just how weird this movie is to any of you. 

Brian De Palma use of sound and split screens in the prom scene in CARRIE is fantastic.

Have you seen De Palma's SISTERS, where he also uses split screens? 

In CARRIE: THE MUSICAL, Margaret White has the wonderful song "And Eve Was Weak” (it’s actually a duet with Margaret and Carrie, but ultimately the song belongs to Margaret).

Betty Buckley (as Margaret) gave a powerhouse performance of the song in the Broadway production, assisted by Linzi Hatley (as Carrie).

CARRIE: THE MUSICAL has gone down as the one of the biggest flops in the history of Broadway, but many years after 1988’s unsuccessful Broadway run the musical was revised (with some songs deleted from the score and some added as well some revisions to the book) and found success off-Broadway and in regional theaters.

• Like 1

Here's John Davis Chandler looking a little more civilized.

3202208.jpg

I remember him from Westerns

Ride The High Country

8d2dc4df-452a-4762-99a4-92434dfe2fd0_zps

Barquero

JOHN-D.-CHANDLER.jpg

• Like 1

I remember him from Westerns

Ride The High Country

8d2dc4df-452a-4762-99a4-92434dfe2fd0_zps

Barquero

JOHN-D.-CHANDLER.jpg

Those piercing blue eyes!

PLANET OF THE APES  ( 1968 ) staring Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowall

Recently watched this movie in a small film festival.  I've seen the film several times, though not in a while, but never in a theatre with an audience.  Interesting to see people who have never seen the movie, and what they thought about the ending.  

I always thought the ending was slightly whack, or more to the point how could people watching the movie not know that the space explorers were indeed back on Earth the entire time?

My own personal opinion i've always liked this film, despite slightly weak effects,  I like the pace of the story and I like the players.  Also i've always found it odd but cool that the novel this film was based off was written by the same person ( Pierre Boulle ) who wrote "The Bridge Over The River Kwai".

"Beyond the Next Mountain" (1987) branded as the worst headhunters in northern India (huh?) by the British, Rochunga Pudite pursues his father's dream to translate the bible to the Hamur dialect..

hqdefault.jpg

Can't get more off the beaten path than this. :unsure:

• Like 1

Anyone paid close attention to the movie title of "Dave Apollon - The Wishing Stone" (1935) Vitaphone short?  Located at the bottom right, the old NRA (National Recovery Act) emblem.  It's rare to see it intact in movies, some are located on the header before the film start.

200px-NRA_film_1934.JPG

nra-invisible-man-bmp.jpg

Trivia...On May 27, 1935, Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes wrote for a unanimous Court in Schechter Poultry Corp. v. United States that Title I of the National Industrial Recovery Act was unconstitutional.

Fedya said: So you missed the whole part about Lee Remick's panties?

When I played in a band and were looking for a name, I suggested: Mrs Manion's Panties

• Like 3