Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

Ps- why does everyone always forget MOON OVER PARADOR? is it because it sucks?

(think I just answered my own question.)

Um, yes.  That, and because most of the promised Reagan-era "Actor as president" jokes pretty much ended at the trailer. 

We got a gag of Richard Dreyfus doing Reagan's "Sorry, can't hear your press questions!" as the dictator gets off his plane, and that was it for current satire.

ATHENA (1954) starring Jane Powell, Vic Damone, Debbie Reynolds, and Edmund Purdom (an English actor I had never heard of until now). This movie centers on the Mulvain family, who focus heavily on numerology, astrology, and healthy eating & habits. There are 7 Mulvain sisters (Ceres, Athena, Minerva, Calliope. Aphrodite, Medea, & Niobe) and their grandparents, Ulysses and Salome (Louis Calhern & Evelyn Varden). The family has a nice home that's located kind of in the country, in which they house several young men who are training to compete in the "Mr. Universe" contest. 

Delightful little romp that showcases Miss Powell's and Miss Reynolds' vocal chops and musical prowess very well. My favorite number was the "Never Felt Better" one. Really cute. 

• Like 2

Didn't Purdom play the title character in The Egyptian?

And I find it amusing that they've got kids named Athena and Minerva, since those are the same goddess.

• Like 2

Eating Raoul (1982)

poster_zpswtynlmtk.jpg

Hilarious black comedy about an insufferably boring couple Paul and Mary Bland who think of a creative way to open up a restaurant. 9/10

• Like 3

Fat City (1972) Skid Row Noir

Poster.jpg

A beautifully shot lyrical paean to Leonard Gardner's Stockton, California based novel about the lives of two boxers trying to fight their way up from their personal gutters to Fat City. The Good Life, Easy Street, The American Dream, that Big Rock Candy Mountain. 

Classic Film Noir vet John Huston masterfully directs the screenplay by Leonard Gardner. The cinematography was by Conrad L. Hall (Harper (1966), Cool Hand Luke (1967), In Cold Blood (1967), Electra Glide in Blue (1973)) and the soundtrack credits are Help Me Make It Through the Night Composed and Performed by Kris Kristofferson, The Look of Love Written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, Performed by Dusty Springfield, and If  Written by David Gates, Performed by Bread.

The film is so well realized by John Houston that all the characters come fully to life without any false notes. Life's losers, eccentrics, and misfits are lovingly rendered. Fat City almost makes the life of a stewbum look nobel. Fat City is one of Huston's best films. 10/10

Keach, Tyrell, (nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, 1973) and Bridges are excellent. Nicholas Colasanto, Art Aragon, and Curtis Cokes all put in great performances. Full review with screencaps in Film Noir/Gangster thread. 

• Like 3

Keach, Tyrell, (nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, 1973) and Bridges are excellent. Nicholas Colasanto, Art Aragon, and Curtis Cokes all put in great performances. Full review with screencaps in Film Noir/Gangster thread. 

Tyrell's drunken barfly abuse-talking wastoid is sickeningly realistic. 

The 70's were a decade like no time else in cinema.

• Like 2

The performances of both Stacy Keach and Susan Tyrrell in Fat City are extraordinarily real. Anyone who has been in a run down bar has seen sad cases exactly like this one of anger and self hatred that Tyrrell portrays. There's not a false note in her performance.

I saw this film for the first time a couple of years ago, and was so impressed by Tyrrell that I looked her up on the internet only to be shocked to discover that she had passed away that weekend. Tyrrell's final years were very sad, suffering a blood disease that resulted in a double amputation below her knees. Johnny Depp hosted a benefit designed to assist Tyrrell's medical expenses.

4901topFat.jpg

some trivia items in re: FAT CITY copied and pasted from the imdb trivia section for the film:

In an October 30, 1984 taping of the Family Feud, Richard Dawson comments that Fat City is his favorite movie, but he is disappointed that it hadn't been re-released.

The Only movie John Huston directed about boxing. Huston had once been a boxer himself.

According to Stacy Keach, Sixto Rodriguez knocked him out during their fight scene and that shot appears in the film.

Under the then-extant rules, Stacy Keach should have been awarded Best Actor honors from the New York Film Critics Circle for his portrayal of Tully, as it required only a plurality of the vote. Keach was the top vote-getter for Best Actor. At the time, the NYCC was second in prestige only to the Academy Awards (and some actors and filmmakers considered it a superior honor) and was a major influence on subsequent Oscar nominations. A vocal faction of the NYFCC, dismayed by the rather low percentage of votes that would have given Keach the award, successfully demanded a rule change so that the winner would have to obtain a majority. In subsequent balloting, Keach failed to win a majority of the vote, and he lost ground to his main rival, Marlon Brando in The Godfather (1972) However, Brando could not gain a majority either. A compromise candidate, Laurence Olivier in Sleuth (1972) eventually was awarded Best Actor honors.

Prior to Tyrrell female drunks were, to my knowledge, rarely portrayed so realistically. Even Lee Remick, good as she was, couldn't completely go there.

They would get loud, maybe stumble a bit, slur some words to make the obvious point, but Susan Tyrrell seemed real.

Faye Dunaway tried it years later in Barfly, but that still seemed "acting drunk". Am I missing a good drunk performance?

• Like 4

Prior to Tyrrell female drunks were, to my knowledge, rarely portrayed so realistically. Even Lee Remick, good as she was, couldn't completely go there.

They would get loud, maybe stumble a bit, slur some words to make the obvious point, but Susan Tyrrell seemed real.

Faye Dunaway tried it years later in Barfly, but that still seemed "acting drunk". Am I missing a good drunk performance?

Marie Dressler in Anna Christie?

ac1.gif

• Like 2

What about Claire Trevor in Key Largo?     She won a best supporting actress Oscar.

• Like 2

Am I missing a good drunk performance?

I thought Anne Baxter did a very good tipsy in The Blue Gardenia (1953)

The best female drunks that I've seen in movies are:  Claire Trevor in KEY LARGO, Susan Hayward in i'LL CRY TOMORROW, Marie Dressler in ANNA CHRISTIE and Anne Baxter in RAZOR'S EDGE.

FAT CITY is supposed to be really good and I've never seen it.  I think TCM has run it and I'll check it out if/when they run it again.

Garbo has a magnificent tipsy scene in NINOTCHKA.

Yes, NINOTCHKA is my favorite Garbo movie.  Love the film and love her in it.  My list of female drunks referred to alcoholic characters, not "tipsy" types.  Women whose drinking has moved past the "tipsy".

My favorite female drunk is Lucille Ball as "The Vitameatavegamin Girl" in "I Love Lucy."

• Like 1

"Ruby" (1977)--Starring Piper Laurie, Stuart Whitman, and Roger Davis.  Directed by Curtis Harrington.

Film has a preface, set in 1935 Florida.  Ruby (Laurie) sees her gangster boyfriend killed, execution style by four members of his own gang.

In 1951, Ruby has rebuilt her life and owns and runs a popular drive-in movie theater.  She staffs it with former members of the gang she was associated with.  Strange things start happening, and then someone/something starts killing off her staff.

Laurie holds the film together with her performance as an alcoholic who's seemingly strong, but is lost in dreams of her lover, and her past glories, real and imagined.  She makes a flesh and blood character out a cardboard role.

The other actors are adequate at best, with the exception of Crystin Sinclaire, who is amusing as the town tramp who has her own parking space at the drive-in theater.

Harrington's direction is uneven, but the color schemes are right on target, as is Laurie's performance and singing.

The various shocks vary from  sensationally effective to ho-hum.

Best line; "No more horror films for you!" says a mother to Junior after Junior's seen something in the Coke machine that didn't belong there.

Low budget chiller is enjoyable thanks to Piper Laurie and director Harrington.  I enjoyed it.  2.4/4.

Source--YouTube.  Search "Ruby 1977". 

• Like 2

VeeTAvitTaVenniVIDIvincImeetAmmIn

(Hic)

My favorite part:

"Do you pop out at parties?"

• Like 1

Jane Fonda in The Morning After. I haven't see this one in

years, but from what I recall it was a pretty good movie.

A very good portrayal of a female drunk is Ann Dvorak in THE WALLS OF JERICHO. She plays Cornel Wilde's socially inept drunken wife. Wilde, a rising politician is embarrassed by his wife's behavior around guests when drunk, her inferiority complex having her lashing out. Wilde realizes she is a liability for his ambitions.

• Like 2

Liz Taylor played a pretty good drunk in 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?', I think. Entertaining, anyway.

The best female drunks that I've seen in movies are:  Claire Trevor in KEY LARGO, Susan Hayward in i'LL CRY TOMORROW, Marie Dressler in ANNA CHRISTIE and Anne Baxter in RAZOR'S EDGE.

FAT CITY is supposed to be really good and I've never seen it.  I think TCM has run it and I'll check it out if/when they run it again.

Fat City, the film by John Huston is an incredibly good movie and stars the equally incredible Susan Tyrrell who took grotesquerie off the streets and put it indelibly on film to our joy. She is the quintessentially Grand Guignol actress of all time and her performances in films like this one and even the John Waters film, Cry Baby make her essential viewing. Hopefully someday TCM will find it in their heart to show this classic.

Sylvia Miles has a good drunken scene in Farewell, My Lovely ... especially when she says "the ceiling's the limit."