Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THIS IS THE 5th TIME TONODAY THAT SOME RATHER SMALL I SUBMIITED WAS ONCE AGAIN BLOBED???

It was a reply on Robert Ryan in "Crossfire" is all, it it once again went uint some cyrberspace

This network & forums never, ever used to do this & the ongoing spam fairy from Asia either

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

PLEASE RE SUBMNIUT MY SMALL POST UNDER THE RYAN THREAD

23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

MADIGAN 2: ZOMBIE MADIGAN

"HE'S AN UNDEAD ZOMBIE COP WHO PLAYS BY HIS OWN RULES, BUT- DAMN IT- HE GETS RESULTS!"

Funny, but really:

There WAS a member of these boards that went by MADIGAN2.  An elderly woman if memory serves.  I'm kinda worried now.  :(

Sepiatone

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Funny, but really:

There WAS a member of these boards that went by MADIGAN2.  An elderly woman if memory serves.  I'm kinda worried now.  :(

Sepiatone

I know, it sucks when someone here vanishes, I've also been wondering what happened to FILM LOVER 293 and ARTURO and FRAZIER/FINANCE.

hope they're okay!

• Thanks 1

tried watching BLOOD SIMPLE (1984) on TCM ON DEMAND.

every now and then i like the challenge myself, and I thought I'd challenge my firm opinion that the Coen brothers are a pair of preening hack horses whose unfailingly tedious films simultaneously look down their nose at those of lesser intellect (ie everyone not a Coen brother) whilst shamelessly mining other, better, deeper, realer, and more interesting films for music, lighting and camera cues.

this pretty much just added rebar and concrete to that notion.

12 hours ago, laffite said:

Why is this? Just curious. Thanks.

Have no idea. I guess they felt anything Robin did should be 'untouchable' for remakes or reboots.

Heck, that didn't stop Gus Van Sant from remaking PSYCHO. 

But that's a whole different kettle of fish. PSYCHO was a classic. The original JUMANJI, wasn't to me. That's why I had no problem with the JUMANJI reboot.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

tried watching BLOOD SIMPLE (1984) on TCM ON DEMAND.

everyone now and then i like the challenge myself, and I thought I'd challenge my firm opinion that the Coen brothers are a pair of preening hack horses whose unfailingly tedious films simultaneously look down their nose at those of lesser intellect (ie everyone not a Coen brother) whilst shamelessly mining other, better, deeper, realer, and more interesting films for music, lighting and camera cues.

this pretty much just added rebar and concrete to that notion.

Wow, LHF, I've never known you to be so spectacularly, completely wrong about something. Blood Simple is fantastic, and I consider the Coens the second best living filmmakers. But to each their own.

That's a fun thing I've noticed about the Coens: many people who don't like them/their movies seem to be personally offended by them, like rising to the level of real venom. And I've read the "looking down their noses" complaint before, but I have no idea what people are talking about with that. Maybe I look at the world the same way, so I don't notice it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i just can't help it.

i know life would be so much easier for me if i liked THE COEN BROTHERS.

But I don't.

And I can't.

I mean, I've tried, but no.

It just makes me dislike them all the more.

(I know my saying this is akin to ME reading someone dumping all over LUBITSCH or WILDER or HITCHCOCK, but there it is. It's not a forced opinion or one I've come to lightly either, I've given them a chance, but I have this VISCERAL REACTION to their work time and again.)

ps- I'll burn it all down with this: there is no film in all filmdom that I HATE more than FARGO.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, shutoo said:

Repeat Performance 1947.  Joan Leslie stars in this crime drama as a woman who wishes she could re-live a year that ended in tragedy..and she gets her wish.  Sounds like familiar territory, but surprisingly well done.  Things start with a bang, literally, as we see Leslie shooting her husband, Louis Hayward.  It's New Year's Eve, and she blindly tosses on a coat over her nightgown and ends up a party, looking for her friend Richard Basehart, and asks him to return to the apartment with her to call the police.  As they climb the stairs, she makes her 'if only I could live the year over' plea, turns around, and Basehart is gone..and inside her hubby is quite alive..and she's wearing the dress she wore one year before. Of course, she can't explain this to anyone..except Basehart, who quite rightly thinks she's crazy (for a while). We learn Leslie is a successful actress, Hayward a playwright who has turned to drinking, and eventually becomes abusive.  Leslie is convinced if she can change the environment..from NY  to Hollywood..things will be different.  Virginia Field plays the fickle writer who Hayward turns to, and Natalie Schafer (in probably her biggest role before she took that 3 hour cruise) is terrific as the socialite who 'sponsors' men, then casts them aside.  Leslie has changed the map of destiny..but will the outcome change?  An Eagle Lion 'B' film that really is a little gem. source: terrarium                                                                                                  Image result for repeat performance 1947

This is the type of non-major studio 'B' film that I wish TCM would feature in some type of series since most nights I have seen 90% of the films that will be shown (since I've watched TCM since it started).

While I like Joan Leslie in many of the Warner films she was in,  I like to see her in something different and where she is the lead actress.  (instead of say,  Bette Davis, or Ida Lupino).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is the type of non-major studio 'B' film that I wish TCM would feature in some type of series since most nights I have seen 90% of the films that will be shown (since I've watched TCM since it started).

While I like Joan Leslie in many of the Warner films she was in,  I like to see her in something different and where she is the lead actress.  (instead of say,  Bette Davis, or Ida Lupino).  

Repeat Performance was shown on TCM, at a guess, eight or nine years ago. I'm not certain if it has been back on since.

It was made at a time in Joan Leslie's career when she was graduating to adult roles. This was, I believe, her first film since leaving Warners. She's strikingly photographed in this crime drama with a fantasy twist, as shutoo pointed out in his review. The film's opening is quite intriguing, and beautifully photographed, too, with a camera sweep of a big city at night then panning in on the balcony of an apartment, where the sounds of a shot can be heard, as the penthouse doors swing open to reveal a woman standing over a dead body, a gun in her hand. An unbilled John Ireland does the voice over narration at the film's beginning.

As stated in the review, Repeat Performance is definitely worth a look. It's been too long since I saw the film to say much more about it.

Repeat-Performance2.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i just can't help it.

But I don't.

ps- I'll burn it all down with this: there is no film in all filmdom that I HATE more than FARGO.

Don't feel too bad. I've noticed that most people seem to either love or hate the Coens, not much in between. And more seem to hate than love, at that. At least around here.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Don't feel too bad. I've noticed that most people seem to either love or hate the Coens, not much in between. And more seem to hate than love, at that. At least around here.

REALLY?!?!

WHO ELSE!!!!!!!!????I’d love to start a support group or something.

seriously, I feel like I’m all alone on this issue sometimes...

The Disaster Artist (2017) - Strange-but-true comedy from A24, Warner Brothers, and New Line, and director James Franco. Struggling would-be actor Greg (Dave Franco) meets bizarre, mysterious Tommy Wiseau (James Franco) in an acting class, and the two develop an awkward friendship. The eccentric Tommy offers to move to Los Angeles with Greg to kickstart their careers, but once there they find little success. However, one day they decide that, if Hollywood won't work with them, they'll just make their own movie, which leads to the production of one of the worst movies of all time, The Room. Also featuring Ari Graynor, Alison Brie, Seth Rogen, Megan Mullally, Jacki Weaver, Paul Scheer, Zac Efron, Josh Hutcherson, Jason Mantzoukas, Hannibal Buress, Nathan Fielder, Sharon Stone, Melanie Griffith, Charlyne Yi, Lauren Ash, Bob Odenkirk, Randall Park, Casey Wilson, Jerrod Carmichael, and Judd Apatow.

The Room slowly developed a cult following after it's very limited release in 2003. By the end of the decade, it had become a cult item on par with Rocky Horror Picture Show, with raucous midnight screenings and the audience reciting dialogue along with the film. The real Greg Sistero, friend and sometime roommate of Tommy Wiseau, wrote a book about the making of the movie, and this film is an adaptation of that book, so it's told from Greg's point of view. The real Wiseau is a very odd, almost cartoonish figure, and James Franco does a terrific job of portraying him, from his bizarre nightclub-vampire look to his indefinable accent. James' real-life brother Dave Franco plays Greg, and he's a bit weaker, but maybe so is Greg. The rest of the cast is rounded out by many familair faces from the comedy world of the past decade and a half or so, with a few surprises (Is that Sharon Stone and Melanie Griffith?). I love The Room, and thus my appreciation of this behind-the-scenes look at its making may be larger than those who have not or who fail to see that colossal failure's charm. I found this movie funny, endearing, and one of the year's best.   (8/10)

Source: Lionsgate Blu-ray.

ecd94269aef6358720e06606a40af498-500x330

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

REALLY?!?!

Maybe it's that thing where if you meet 20 people in a day, even if 19 of them are really nice, you only remember the one that was a complete *******, but I can't really recall anyone other than me having anything positive to say about the Coen brothers on this message board. I'm not calling you or anyone else an *******, I just mean that I recall the negative more than the positive.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

REALLY?!?!

You're not. There's a few I like but I don't worship them. I'm a rare in between. One of their worst is the one with the Duke. I can't remember the title and don't want to. I used to like Fargo, in fact loved it. I saw it again and didn't like it. I thought it was trite. I wanted to do a Moe with McDormand, you know, right in the eyes. I loved her the first time around but found her annoying the second time. She made me root for the bad guys.  I am left cold by films that everyone else loves. Blood Simple I liked though. And The Man Who Wasn't There. There might be another one in their somewhere. I don't say they are bad filmmakers, I just say that I am not thrilled by them.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i just can't help it.

But I don't.

And I can't.

I mean, I've tried, but no.

It just makes me dislike them all the more.

(I know my saying this is akin to ME reading someone dumping all over LUBITSCH or WILDER or HITCHCOCK, but there it is. It's not a forced opinion or one I've come to lightly either, I've given them a chance, but I have this VISCERAL REACTION to their work time and again.)

I just love Fargo.  It just rings so true - even though I know the tale is complete fiction - that a very average guy marries into a wealthy family and starts coveting some of his father-in-law's wealth. It is obvious the father-in-law is just tolerating his son-in-law because he gives him a job that anybody could handle - selling cars. So the average guy thinks he'll embezzle some money from the in-law's business in a scheme that cannot fail and then replace the money, but fail it does. Then he decides to fake his own wife's kidnapping and use the ransom to cover up his theft. He thinks he can control the situation and the felons involved in the kidnapping, and then that too goes terribly wrong. And then there is Marge Gunderson as the sheriff. If you think about it, there is not much difference between the mediocrity of Marge's husband and Macy's average guy character as far as talent goes. But Marge's husband is basically happy with his lot and willing to do hard work to improve himself, and Macy's character was not, he thought himself more clever than he was, and in the end he is brought down by the good police work of Marge. The movie is much more than that, but these are the main things I got out of it.

I also love "Raising Arizona" because it so captures the speech patterns and manneriisms of people from the Southwest - I'm from Dallas. Only in the polite but wild Southwest could an outlaw carjack you at gunpoint, and when the carjacking comes to an end, say "Much obliged" to the victim.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

REALLY?!?!

You're not alone:  Just mention "Hail, Caesar", and clear the dance floor...  :angry:

Just recently I'd caught up on Steven Spielberg's Bridge of Spies (2015), where the Coens did final script-doctoring, and I'd seen enough Bad-Coen to cherrypick on first viewing by ear what parts of the script the Coens likely wrote (fresh off of their "We remember this and you don't" satires of 50's Cold-War), which parts were probably in Matt Charman's original script, and which parts were punched up with Spielberg's own urges for historical-nostalgia sentimentality:
Generally, the Coens parts were hip/ironic cheap-symbol sniggering at low-hanging targets about how messed-up our culture was in the 50's--For example, when we see children in a school being shown "Duck and Cover", that's Coen, and probably the "ironic" shot of the kids being traumatized into tears by it was as much Coen as Spielberg.  (Although the scene where Tom Hanks' son fills up bathtubs because he believes he alone now has to protect the family from nuclear war was out of Spielberg's own memories.)  In short, whenever we see Tom Hanks dealing with shady government guys in identical 50's-suits and black hats warning him of the Red Menace, all I could see was Matt Damon pedaling away on that little girl's bike from Suburbicon (2017).

Yes, two movies the Coens didn't direct, but have their distinct smell all over them.  You can dress 'em up with other directors, but you can't take 'em out in public.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

You can say the same thing about people with David Lynch and Quentin Tarantino films. B)

I, Tonya (2017) - Caustic true-story comedy-drama from 30West, writer Steven Rogers, and director Craig Gillespie. The movie tells the story of Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie), the champion figure skater who came from a hardscrabble background, raised by an abusive mother (Allison Janney), but overcoming the odds to rise to the top of her sport, only to see it come crashing down thanks to the criminal activity of her dim-witted husband Jeff (Sebastian Stan). Also featuring Paul Walter Hauser, Julianne Nicholson, Bobby Cannavale, Bojana Novakovic, Caitlin Carver, and Mckenna Grace.

Here's another case of a movie that on paper held no appeal to me. I'm old enough to recall the story well enough, and I didn't really care about it then, let alone now, and I've never been a fan of figure skating. However, I am once again pleasantly surprised with how good the resulting movie is. Robbie and Stan, two of the prettiest people in movies these days, do a good job of deglamorizing themselves. Robbie is fierce, a description I am loathe to use as it's overused, but it really fits here. Janney got an Oscar for Supporting Actress, and she's also "uglied up", and her character is completely reprehensible. In fact, most of the people are in this movie, and there's a lot of coarse language and violence, particularly spousal abuse both by and from Harding. The film doesn't really have a message, as it's more of a character study and a sad-but-true tale of shattered dreams. It's also very well acted, darkly funny, and occasionally moving. Recommended.   (8/10)

Source: Universal Blu-ray.

itonya.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

You can say the same thing about people with David Lynch and Quentin Tarantino films. B)

Yeah, but I mean, I liked WILD AT HEART and I loved DJANGO....SO MAYBE i'm slightly more tolerant of the "new school" than some others...

ETA: and I like PATHS OF GLORY.

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, but I mean, I liked WILD AT HEART and I loved DJANGO....SO MAYBE i'm slightly more tolerant of the "new school" than some others...

The only Coen film I've really not liked was the remake of The Ladykillers

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, and Stanley Kubrick. And I like all of them.

Kubrick, my nominee as one of the most overrated of directors as far as his post-Strangelove career is concerned. His films up to Strangelove (including Spartacus, which the director tried to disown, didn't he?) are terrific.

But the emotional coldness of his later work is a turn off for me.

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

The only Coen film I've really not liked was the remake of The Lady Killers

Apart from the obvious "One essential movie they ever made" Raising Arizona (where they basically taught DoP Barry Sonnenfeld how to direct "Men in Black" by overdirecting everything into swirling kinetic cartoon surrealism), the only Coen film I've ever actually liked was O Brother, Where Art Thou, three years before the movie-musical form was rediscovered again.

And keeping in mind the yuk-yuk but not-too-bad Gene Kelly parody from "Hail Caesar", my advice to the Coens is to stop being hip-Millennial deconstructive about historical eras they were never alive to see but just remembered cheap jokes about, and just shut up and do more musicals.  Like the old vaudeville saying, when the gags aren't going over, go into your song and dance.

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

But the emotional coldness of (Kubrick)'s later work is a turn off for me.

It's Kubrick's emotional coldness that makes GOOD irony....Whereas the Coens' constant rib-nudging self-stylizations and chortling over stoners, bowlers, oh-yah Minnesota accents, or anything anyone said in the first half of the 20th century, is Bad Irony.

The essential Kubrick shot is watching the characters from a mile away--like HAL lip-reading the astronauts in 2001--and Kubrick's distance punches up our emotional distance from what's happening.  The climaxes of Barry Lyndon, Paths of Glory, Clockwork Orange, etc. manage to make the "irony" sting enough to make the point, without feeling as if he was domino-toppling the characters for his own hip amusement. 

Yes, the "Wacky Pentagon dialogue" from Dr. Strangelove could tip dangerously into Coen territory, but, like R. Lee Ermey's Wacky Marine Dialogue from "Full Metal Jacket", Kubrick knows how to play it as scary as satirical.

• Thanks 1

THERE ARE some films that I do not like, but I am secure enuff in my intellect and the brute force of my opinions, that I feel no "guilt" over this- MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, WUTHERING HEIGHTS, ALL ABOUT EVE- i don't like a single damned one of 'em, but I COULD TOTALLY SEE HOW ANY ONE OF THOSE FILMS COULD BE SOMEONE'S FAVORITE FILM OF ALL TIME

and then...

monstrous egotist that I am, there are some films and filmmakers for which my DISTASTE is just so STRONG, that I can't even bring myself to fathom HOW ANYONE COULD LIKE THEM, and it seems like EVERYONE BUT ME DOES- ie the French Language films of Jean Renoir (although I love THE SOUTHERNER), THE DARK KNIGHT, BLOW-UP (although it's 50/50 on that one with the haters), BEN-HUR and- the ultimate- the entire oeuvre of the Brothers Coen.

and in the latter instance, it causes me no end of consternation that anyone out there could not JUST PLAINLY SEE that these are terrible movies. what's WRONG WITH YOU? (What's wrong with me?)

i don't mean to be intolerant, i think my being Southern just has a lot to do with it.

(It all boils down to my being a terrible, narcissistic, insecure and ultimately hollow person, really, but I've come to accept this fact with time. )

Edited by LornaHansonForbes
to plant tongue even more firmly in cheek