Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

43 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I suspect if Maria was still around today she'd be taking a lot of selfies

Well, if she were around today, she probably wouldn't. But if they had selfie technology back then ... Yow!

Well, if they did pop up, I missed them.  The one I most want to see is Cobra Woman where she plays twins! She made so many films. Just sitting in a vault somewhere.

4 minutes ago, laffite said:

Well, if she were around today, she probably wouldn't. But if they had selfie technology back then ... Yow!

Okay, okay.

If she still looked like this today, she'd be taking a lot of selfies.

7b5c562978a36cdb02eeb14e586dca9c--beauti

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, if they did pop up, I missed them.  The one I most want to see is Cobra Woman where she plays twins! She made so many films. Just sitting in a vault somewhere.

Cobra Woman has shown up on Svengoolie's show on MeTV.

The DVD I watched of Arabian Nights featured a lengthy introduction from Robert Osborne on the TCM set.

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Cobra Woman and Gypsy Wildcat are both available as Universal Vault releases.

51M9qP2U2fL._SY445_.jpg

61yV6zJQLwL._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

Both prints have rich Technicolor and look great.

Arabian Nights and Ali Baba, the two I grew up with, are both out on DVD and Blu Ray (well, Ali Baba's in the latter format, at least).

51V0ERPFF3L._SY445_.jpg

81Trj3D2xuL._AC_UL320_SR248,320_.jpg

Don't ask me why the cover of Arabian Nights gives emphasis to Leif Erikson, the film's villain, over Jon Hall, the lead actor and hero of the film.

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Cobra Woman and Gypsy Wildcat are both available as Universal Vault releases.

51M9qP2U2fL._SY445_.jpg

61yV6zJQLwL._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

Both prints have rich Technicolor and look great.

Arabian Nights and Ali Baba, the two I grew up with, are both out on DVD and Blu Ray (well, Ali Baba's in the latter format, at least).

51V0ERPFF3L._SY445_.jpg

81Trj3D2xuL._AC_UL320_SR248,320_.jpg

Don't ask me why the cover of Arabian Nights gives emphasis to Leif Erikson, the film's villain, over Jon Hall, the lead actor and hero of the film.

But are they worth buying? Wonder if it's something I'd ever watch again. LOL.

39 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FOR THE RECORD,

I (honestly) think one of Streep's absolute best performances is in SHE-DEVIL, which might be the worst movie she ever appeared in.

when the material needs help, she single-handedly elevates it.

edit- wait, no, the worst movie she ever did was HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS, AND EVEN SHE CAN'T SAVE THAT ****

Yes, agree. She was the best thing in She-Devil. I dont remember House of Spirits? Was that based on S. American novel? Or set there or something?

Just now, Hibi said:

But are they worth buying? Wonder if it's something I'd ever watch again. LOL.

They're hokey but eye filling adventures. Pretty silly stuff but I happen to enjoy that kind of brainless escapism.

Two are Arabian Nights fantasies (if you care for that kind of thing). Cobra Woman has Maria as twins, one good, one bad (of course) with leading man Jon Hall getting confused which is which. Sabu is in that one, as well.

Gypsy Wildcat is the least well known film but I find it fun. And look at the supporting cast of character actors it has: Douglass Dumbrille (the villain, of course), Leo Carrillo, Gale Sondergaard, Nigel Bruce. Bruce, doing his bumbling routine, steals every scene he's in, and the film has an exciting chase climax involving Maria getting forced to get married in a coach while hero Hall is chasing behind on horseback. The sequence is beautifully paced, and with Nigel Bruce in the coach, as well, performing the marriage ceremonies, partially played for humour. It's corny but I love it.

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Planning an outfit? :D

I certainly would if I thought it would get me anywhere :P

But since they don't seem to be my cup of tea I am left with simply admiring those who wear them well.

...whatever that most amazing garb is called.

Further comment on the Maria Montez selfie fascination ...

In the absence of selfie tech back then, perhaps she might have had another thing goin' :

Mirror, mirror on the wall

I'm the fairest of them all.

:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, TomJH said:

They're hokey but eye filling adventures. Pretty silly stuff but I happen to enjoy that kind of brainless escapism.

Two are Arabian Nights fantasies (if you care for that kind of thing). Cobra Woman has Maria as twins, one good, one bad (of course) with leading man Jon Hall getting confused which is which. Sabu is in that one, as well.

Gypsy Wildcat is the least well known film but I find it fun. And look at the supporting cast of character actors it has: Douglass Dumbrille (the villain, of course), Leo Carrillo, Gale Sondergaard, Nigel Bruce. Bruce, doing his bumbling routine, steals every scene he's in, and the film has an exciting chase climax involving Maria getting forced to get married in a coach while hero Hall is chasing behind on horseback. The sequence is beautifully paced, and with Nigel Bruce in the coach, as well, performing the marriage ceremonies, partially played for humour. It's corny but I love it.

Thanks. I'll have to check prices...I'm sure they'd be fun the first time but...

19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, agree. She was the best thing in She-Devil. I dont remember House of Spirits? Was that based on S. American novel? Or set there or something?

it's based on a very long novel by Chilean writer Isabelle Allende about a family whose prosperous lives are wrecked by the 1973(?) government coup.

I loved it when i read it, but that was ca. 1994.

the 1994 big screen version (from Miramax) not only EAST OF EDENS the Hell out of the book (leaving out huge chunks of story and characters and plots) but they had the gall to hire GLENN CLOSE, WINONA RYDER, JEREMY IRONS and STREEP to play SOUTH AMERICANS.

Streep is also supposed to be 19 in the first part of the movie. Seriously and honest to God. i think she was about 45. she also- oddly- actually plays the character a lot like she did in SHE-DEVIL.

Glenn Close totally does that FRAU BLUCHER thing she did later in MARY REILLY.

i've only seen it once, as i recall, but i was breathtaken by how baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad it was.

18 minutes ago, laffite said:

I certainly would if I thought it would get me anywhere :P

But since they don't seem to be my cup of tea I am left with simply admiring those who wear them well.

...whatever that most amazing garb is called.

LOL!!! Slave girl harem what-nots?

PANTALOONS! Couldnt think of the word..........

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's based on a very long novel by Chilean writer Isabelle Allende about a family whose prosperous lives are wrecked by the 1973(?) government coup.

I loved it when i read it, but that was ca. 1994.

the 1994 big screen version (from Miramax) not only EAST OF EDENS the Hell out of the book (leaving out huge chunks of story and characters and plots) but they had the gall to hire GLENN CLOSE, WINONA RYDER, JEREMY IRONS and STREEP to play SOUTH AMERICANS.

Streep is also supposed to be 19 in the first part of the movie. Seriously and honest to God.

Glenn Close totally does that FRAU BLUCHER thing she did later in MARY REILLY.

i've only seen it once, as i recall, but i was breathtaken by how baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad it was.

Yes, I vaguely remember it now! in and out of theaters quickly........

10 minutes ago, laffite said:

Further comment on the Maria Montez selfie fascination ...

In the absence of selfie tech back then, perhaps she might have had another thing goin' :

Mirror, mirror on the wall

I'm the fairest of them all.

:rolleyes:

822f546d291d274a089bcf05b26b0090--domini

Guaranteed Maria never cracked a mirror looking into it. I have to buy a stockpile of the darned things before I edge close to one of them.

Just now, Hibi said:

Yes, I vaguely remember it now! in and out of theaters quickly........

YES, REEEEEEEEEEEEEAL DAMN QUICK. I was an avid movie goer back then and I am pretty sure it was just me and a friend on opening weekend.

(And that friend probably did not speak to me on the ride home, understandably so.)

21 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES, REEEEEEEEEEEEEAL DAMN QUICK. I was an avid movie goer back then and I am pretty sure it was just me and a friend on opening weekend.

(And that friend probably did not speak to me on the ride home, understandably so.)

LOL. I vaguely remember being interested in seeing it, (due to the cast and pedigree), but it came and went so fast, there wasnt time! Forgot about it all these years.........

18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

here is a clip.

with Meryl Streep as a 19 year old Chilean girl and Vanessa Redgrave as her Chilean mother.

Great art direction and cinematography.

everything else tho!

WOOF!

ps- it came out in 1993. My bad.

Yes, was going to say couldnt have been THAT early. Kramer didnt come out till later.... LOL

21 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

here is a clip.

with Meryl Streep as a 19 year old Chilean girl and Vanessa Redgrave as her Chilean mother.

Great art direction and cinematography.

everything else tho!

WOOF!

ps- it came out in 1993. My bad.

WTH?? Meryl doesnt have an accent???? I just love the English accents! LOL.