Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On two occasions, I have tried to watch THE LAST OF SHEILA, and found it to be one of the most unwatchable movies ever. Part, but not all, of the problem is the sound on the TCM version is poor, and I can't pick up the dialogue. I didn't get past a half hour either time.

NOT A REAL TECHNICAL GENIUS HERE, BUT-  One thing I can offer:

Ever since THE FORCED DIGITAL CONVERSION THAT YOU WILL LIKE AND OBEY, my picture has been great- but that's about all I like. Your new remote (I know you needed another one to add to your collection of 5) that the CABLE COMPANY provides with your ALL-KNOWING AND INFALLIBLE DIGITAL BOX THAT YOU WILL NOT QUESTION takes dominance over your television and can control the volume. There have been a few times where I had the physical volume on my TV turned all the way up, but could barely hear it because the volume on the remote was down.

combined with the fact that there's this stupid and distracting line at the top of the screen, a really annoying sound akin to a very feint buzzsaw that loops nonstop on the soundtrack to movies on TCM (and only TCM) and the fact that it cuts off subtitles, I'm less than thrilled with this WONDERFUL NEW INNOVATION AND FIX FOR SOMETHING THAT WASN'T BROKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE, NOW SHUT UP AND ENJOY OUR WONDERFUL INTUITIVE TECHNOLOGY YOU UNGRATEFUL LUDDITE!

• Like 1

I've come to the conclusion that to me Mel Brooks The Producers (original) is truly one of the funniest films I've ever seen. I watched it again yesterday and couldn't stop laughing. I'm a big fan of Mr. Brooks and The Producers is my favorite of all his films (including Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein) and I love each and every minute. Each time I watch it I seem to focus on one particular character and yesterday I was focused on Dick Shawn as L.S.D. singing "Love Power" at his audition. It's one of the funniest scenes in the movie. I was very sorry to see that Mr. Shawn's character was dropped from the musical version since it's a very important part of the movie.....when Max Bialystock yells out "That's our Hitler". Bravo The Producers and Mel Brooks.

• Like 4

I've come to the conclusion that to me Mel Brooks The Producers (original) is truly one of the funniest films I've ever seen. I watched it again yesterday and couldn't stop laughing. I'm a big fan of Mr. Brooks and The Producers is my favorite of all his films (including Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein) and I love each and every minute. Each time I watch it I seem to focus on one particular character and yesterday I was focused on Dick Shawn as L.S.D. singing "Love Power" at his audition. It's one of the funniest scenes in the movie. I was very sorry to see that Mr. Shawn's character was dropped from the musical version since it's a very important part of the movie.....when Max Bialystock yells out "That's our Hitler". Bravo The Producers and Mel Brooks.

Yeah, well, as you probably already know, and I don't doubt but that you'll agree, much of the brilliance in The Producers was in the casting.

A young, promising and very talented Gene Wilder, paired with the always perfect movie schemer, ZERO MOSTEL can't be beat.

Sure, Dick Shawn was a delightful addition, but I'm more drawn to the (as I usually see it) vastly underrated comic talents of KENNETH MARS as the zany playwrite of "Springtime For Hitler".  My favorite Mars role in a Brooks comedy was that of  INSPECTOR KEMP in "Young Frankenstein"  Cracks me up every time watching him manipulate that artificial arm.

I didn't see The Producers for the first time until sometime in the mid 1970's on a local station's "Late Late Show"( pre cable in my region) Man, it BLEW.  ME.  AWAY!  Even BEFORE finishing my first "bowlfull"  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I just saw this movie for the first time a month or so ago, it is (or was) streaming on Netflix.  I agree.  This movie was hilarious.  I loved the Hitler auditions and the entire play.  I love Mel Brooks' films too.  My favorites are Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs and Robin Hood: Men in Tights.  

I'm in a Mel Brooks state of mind. Just watched History of the World Part I (which I haven't seen for awhile) and I laughed so hard my stomach hurt. There are so many hysterical scenes and the cast is incredible from Sid Caesar, to Ron Carey, to Shecky Greene, to Dom De Luise, to Madeline Kahn, to Gregory Hines, to Harvey Korman, to Beatrice Arthur, and especially Mel Brooks himself. "The Inquisition" is one of the funniest song and dance sequences in film. There are so many scenes but one in particular is when Brooks as Comicus goes to the Unemployment Insurance Booth and Beatrice Arthur as only she can delivers the line "Did you **** yesterday, etc., etc." Another is Brooks and Harvey Korman in Paris where "It's good to be king". This is one of my favorite Mel Brooks films and especially because of how much Mr. Brooks cares about the funnymen he has worked with throughout his career and continually casts them in his movies. Bravo Mel Brooks. You are truly special.

• Like 1

I've come to the conclusion that to me Mel Brooks The Producers (original) is truly one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

I agree. Yet, incredibly, the first time I saw The Producers was at the show in 1968 or '69 when it was the bottom half of a double bill (Yes, I was one of the 12 people that went to see the film when it first came out).

Yet, I walked out on it after about ten minutes of viewing the film (of which I had heard nothing in advance). Maybe I felt that opening with Zero and the little old ladies a little creepy then. I don't know.

Today, however, I think that Mel Brooks' film is brilliant. And the thing is I can't even remember what film headed that double bill back in the late '60s.

• Like 1

"The Lodger" (1926).  Alfred Hitchcock helms like he's just hit his stride as director of his third film( his first film was "The Pleasure Garden" (1925), & his second film "The Mountain Eagle" (1926) is Lost, as far as I know).  The film is directed, co-directed, acted, & photographed brilliantly.The film starred Ivor Novello, who played the mysterious Lodger, who may or may not be Jack The Ripper, & is based on Marie Belloc-Lowndes' 1886(?) novel.  The film starts quickly (the following happens in the first 5 minutes of film, so the following's not a Spoiler)--after the opening titles, a blonde woman is strangled by a neon Revue sign that flashes the title "Golden Curls" on and off.  The Police arrive, (too Late) & the film takes off--not a boring moment in this 70-71 minute film.

TCM--an idea for 2016--Alma Reville (Hitchcocks' future wife) served as co-director (a Title on "The Lodger" 1926 credited her for it on the print I saw) on Alfred Hitchcocks' first three films (I double-checked Patrick McGilligan's biography of Alfred Hitchcock to be certain)--"The Mountain Eagle"(1926) is Lost--but why not show 1925's "The Pleasure Garden" & 1926's "The Lodger" as a doubleheader leading off the 2016 "Women in Film series (unless TCM finds something accomplished earlier)?  Just a thought.

• Like 1

I just saw this movie for the first time a month or so ago, it is (or was) streaming on Netflix.  I agree.  This movie was hilarious.  I loved the Hitler auditions and the entire play.  I love Mel Brooks' films too.  My favorites are Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs and Robin Hood: Men in Tights.  

I love YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

Frau Blucher: "Yes! Yes! Say it! He vas my boyfriend!"

• Like 1

I love Frankenstein's monster's big moment: "...uttin' on the iiiiiitz." 

Speaking of "He vas my boyfriend!" there is a Young Frankenstein musical and there is a song with the same title sung by Frau Blucher... It is quite comical, in my opinion.

rewatched IT'S ALIVE 2: IT LIVES AGAIN (6/10)

I recently borrowed the set from the library. It contains the first 'It's Alive', the 2nd which you mentioned, and the 3rd, 'Island of the Alive'.

Haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

• Like 1

THE KILL FACTOR a.k.a. DEATH DIMENSION (3/10)

Jim "Black Belt Jones" Kelly and Myron Bruce Lee (!?!) star as martial artists out to thwart a criminal syndicate headed by Harold "Oddjob" Sakata.

Featuring George Lazenby, Aldo Ray and Terry Moore.

Powerful stuff, rating a solid 8/10 on the schlock-meter.

GLORIA (original 1980) I think I've watched Gloria many many times and after each viewing I have grown to love the film even more than before.  Gena Rowlands gritty, gutsy, glorious performance leaves me breathless. I love John Cassavettes direction of NYC, during a time when the City was very dirty, gritty, graffiti ridden, but it really made a great location site. I love Gena Rowland's reactions to John Adames and how they bond. I just adore this character. Am a big fan of John Cassavettes and his wonderful wife Gena Rowlands. I really love this movie. And I love Emanuel Ungaro's wardrobe for Miss Rowlands. Fabulous.

• Like 2

GLORIA (original 1980) I think I've watched Gloria many many times and after each viewing I have grown to love the film even more than before.  Gena Rowlands gritty, gutsy, glorious performance leaves me breathless. I love John Cassavettes direction of NYC, during a time when the City was very dirty, gritty, graffiti ridden, but it really made a great location site. I love Gena Rowland's reactions to John Adames and how they bond. I just adore this character. Am a big fan of John Cassavettes and his wonderful wife Gena Rowlands. I really love this movie. And I love Emanuel Ungaro's wardrobe for Miss Rowlands. Fabulous.

Yep. That's a good one. Unusual role for her - not to mention Buck Henry!

• Like 1

THE NORSEMAN (2/10)

Wow, this one was bad. Lee Majors leads a group of Vikings to America in search of a previous expedition and battles savage natives!

Featuring Jack Elam as the Viking wizard (!), Cornel Wilde, Mel Ferrer, Christopher Connelly, Denny Miller and pro footballers Deacon Jones & Fred Belitnikoff.

Reminiscent of the worst of the countless Italian swords-n-sandals epics of the early 60's.

It's hard to believe they were still making junk like this in 1978.

• Like 1

THE NORSEMAN (2/10)

Wow, this one was bad. Lee Majors leads a group of Vikings to America in search of a previous expedition and battles savage natives!

Featuring Jack Elam as the Viking wizard (!), Cornel Wilde, Mel Ferrer, Christopher Connelly, Denny Miller and pro footballers Deacon Jones & Fred Belitnikoff.

Reminiscent of the worst of the countless Italian swords-n-sandals epics of the early 60's.

It's hard to believe they were still making junk like this in 1978.

This sounds like a must see - at least once.

• Like 2

I saw the Norseman movie when it came out & it was one of the worst I've ever seen (was this on tcm?)..there's another movie that I call a major stinkeroo & that was one with Marisa tomei as a Cuban who keeps saying she wants to um, do something to John Wayne..thankfully I forget the title.

Anyway, just saw the Renoir film "the grand illusion" and, I liked it. The camera work was stunning..the atmospheric landscape & the panning of the soldiers faces at the pow show..really cool & unusual, I think for that time. It had both a harsh reality & a dreamy effect..idealistic, yes, when it was made in 1937 the evils of nazism in Germany (and the overall bitter resentment) were brewing & the next war on France was about to hit. I always view the old movies in light of what was happening in the real world at the time.

• Like 1

I saw the Norseman movie when it came out & it was one of the worst I've ever seen (was this on tcm?)..there's another movie that I call a major stinkeroo & that was one with Marisa tomei as a Cuban who keeps saying she wants to um, do something to John Wayne..thankfully I forget the title.

Anyway, just saw the Renoir film "the grand illusion" and, I liked it. The camera work was stunning..the atmospheric landscape & the panning of the soldiers faces at the pow show..really cool & unusual, I think for that time. It had both a harsh reality & a dreamy effect..idealistic, yes, when it was made in 1937 the evils of nazism in Germany (and the overall bitter resentment) were brewing & the next war on France was about to hit. I always view the old movies in light of what was happening in the real world at the time.

GRAND ILLUSION is a very good film. I personally list it as the best film of 1937.

GRAND ILLUSION is a very good film. I personally list it as the best film of 1937.

Yes, best film of 1937 for sure.  And if they were handing out proper acting nominations I would put Jean Gabin, Erich von Stroheim and Marcel Dalio on the honours short list for that year as well.

Fantastic screenplay too.