Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

54 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Bailout at 43,000 (1957)  John Payne, Karen Steele, Paul Kelly USAF is testing a sort of ejection seat that drops out of the bottom of the fuselage of a bomber. Watchable 6/10

Bailout at 43,000 Poster

Did any of the pilots have a premature ejection?

• Haha 1

The Lady and the Monster (1944) - Science fiction/horror from Republic Pictures and director George Sherman. Dr. Patrick Corey (Richard Arlen) and Professor Franz Mueller (Erich von Stroheim) are conducting scientific experiments involving the preservation of life and the mind. When they get the chance to test out a new preservation process on the brain of dying millionaire Mr. Donovan, they take it. They manage to keep his brain alive in tank filled with liquids and electrodes, and soon the brain begins telepathically communicating with Dr. Corey, eventually taking over his mind completely as Donovan attempts to see to unfinished business. Also featuring Vera Ralston, Sidney Blackmer, Helen Vinson, Mary Nash, Janet Martin, William Henry, and Juanita Quigley as Mary Lou.

I don't think that I'd ever heard that 1953's Donovan's Brain was a remake, but here's the original. It has some nice ambiance thanks to good set work and some interesting lighting. Von Stroheim seems born to play megalomaniacal mad scientists, while leading man Arlen gets to stretch his limited acting chops in what is essentially a dual role. The film's biggest weakness is Czech ice skating champ Vera Ralston, making her lead acting debut. Her command of English was so poor at the time that she learned her lines phonetically, and she really seems to be struggling with her performance.    (6/10)

I love this completely misleading poster that makes it look like a vampire movie:

Lady-and-monster.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Rogue's Gallery (1968) Director: Leonard J. Horn.  Stars Roger Smith (77 Sunset Strip), Greta Baldwin, Dennis Morgan, Edgar Bergen, Brian Donlevy, Farley Granger, Mala Powers, and Jackie Coogan. A Paramount Film

Image result for Rogues Gallery 1968 film Poster 

Murder mystery involving a private Hollywood club, with some Film Noir vets. 7/10 

• Like 1

The Lodger (1944) - Another take on the fictionalized Jack the Ripper tale, from Fox and director John Brahm. Laird Cregar stars as the title character, a new renter of the attic room in a London boardinghouse run by Ellen Bonting (Sara Allgood). There's been a series of grisly murders attributed one "Jack the Ripper", and all of the boardinghouse residents gossip and converse on the topic, including beautiful actress Kitty Langley (Merle Oberon), who draws the eye of both the new lodger and Scotland Yard Inspector John Warwick (George Sanders). Also featuring Cedric Hardwicke, Aubrey Mather, Queenie Leonard, Doris Lloyd, David Clyde, Billy Bevan, Cyril Delevanti, Lumsden Hare, Skelton Knaggs, Kermit Maynard, C. Montague Shaw, and Helena Pickard.

Cregar is outstanding, with his bulky frame perfectly contrasted by his sensitive, even delicate speech and manner. The film is also handsomely produced, with excellent settings and costumes. It's always slightly depressing seeing how good Cregar was, and to mourn how short a life he had. His follow up to this, 1945's Hangover Square, was released shortly after his death of a heart attack at age 30.   (7/10)

Thelodger1944.jpg

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Cregar is outstanding, with his bulky frame perfectly contrasted by his sensitive, even delicate speech and manner. The film is also handsomely produced, with excellent settings and costumes. It's always slightly depressing seeing how good Cregar was, and to mourn how short a life he had. His follow up to this, 1945's Hangover Square, was released shortly after his death of a heart attack at age 30.   (7/10)

Laird Cregar was a great actor. I love his character in I Wake Up Screaming (1941).

• Like 3

The Brute Man (1946) - Exploitation horror from Universal/PRC and director Jean Yarbrough. Rondo Hatton stars as Hal Moffat, aka The Creeper, a monstrous figure who's on a killing spree, taking revenge on those he blames for his hideous disfigurement. His rampage is abated somewhat by his chance meeting of blind piano teacher Helen (Jane Adams), who doesn't fear him because of his appearance. Also featuring Tom Neal, Peter Whitney, Jan Wiley, Donald MacBride, Fred Coby, Janelle Johnson, Joseph Crehan, John Hamilton, and Tristram Coffin.

Universal produced this very minor effort, but for various reasons, including embarrassment for exploiting a man's terminal illness for horror effect, they sold the finished film to poverty row studio PRC. This was Hatton's final film, as his aggressive acromegaly finally took his life, and the already dubious entertainment value of this movie is rendered even sadder.    (4/10)

Source: YouTube

54b578d92b98615655efdaa02eb0860e.jpg

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The Brute Man (1946) - Exploitation horror from Universal/PRC and director Jean Yarbrough. Rondo Hatton stars as Hal Moffat, aka The Creeper, a monstrous figure who's on a killing spree, taking revenge on those he blames for his hideous disfigurement.

I read that Hatton was voted the handsomest boy in his high school class: "He starred in track and football at Hillsborough High School and was voted Handsomest Boy in his class his senior year." -- Wikipedia

1 hour ago, Spritz Nipper said:

Laird Cregar was a great actor. I love his character in I Wake Up Screaming (1941).

He's really great in Ernst Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait with Don Ameche and Gene Tierney too! 

It's a shame he died so young.

Crowhaven Farm (1970) - Made-for-TV horror from ABC, producer Aaron Spelling, and director Walter Grauman. Maggie Porter (Hope Lange) inherits a farm in rural Massachusetts, and she and her artist husband Ben (Paul Burke) decide to leave their home in Boston for the country life. Not long after arriving, Maggie begins to have strange visions and foreboding feelings that she can't explain. Things get even worse when the couple decide to adopt a young girl (Cindy Eilbacher) who may be more than meets the eye. Also featuring Lloyd Bochner, Patricia Barry, Cyril Delevanti, Milton Selzer, Virginia Gregg, John Carradine, and William Smith.

This TV movie chiller was a big hit, and has gone on to cult status among fans of the genre. I find many of these types of stories repetitive and uninspired, but this one is well-handled, with a decent script, good direction, and solid performances. One of the better TV fright films of the era, in my opinion.   (7/10)

Crowhaven+Farm+coven+-+Hope+Lange+and+Pa

9 hours ago, Swithin said:

I read that Hatton was voted the handsomest boy in his high school class: "He starred in track and football at Hillsborough High School and was voted Handsomest Boy in his class his senior year." -- Wikipedia

c4b3ae73-286b-4db4-af29-a2ceff53b9f7_zps

Rondo Hatton before he was struck down by the disease

• Like 2

The Subterraneans (1960) Directed by Ranald MacDougall, Written by Robert Thom based on a Jack Kerouac novel. Stars Leslie Caron, George Peppard, Janice Rule, Roddy McDowall, Jim Hutton, and Arte Johnson cavort as a bunch of North Beach Beatniks in San Francisco. 

The Subterraneans Poster

Leo Percepied(Peppard) is a 28 year old writer living with his mother, with no friends. He thinks normal people are too shallow. He accidentally meets a group of beatniks who drag him to a subterranean bar. There he meets Mardou (Caron) a beautiful blonde French girl. Leo and Mardou fall in love with each other. They make love they fight, they break up. Leo has an affair with another beatchick. Mardou splits the scene. She re-appears with the news that she's pregnant and they leave the bohemian life. 

Apparently it didn't work out. Leo skips out of Frisco becomes a deadbeat dad, changes his name to Paul Varjak, pops up in New York City, gets picked up by a Sugar Mama who sets him up in a Brownstone where he starts writing again. There Leo/Paul falls for the $50 a trip to the "powder room" New York City call girl who lives downstairs with her cat.

6/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Crowhaven Farm (1970) - Made-for-TV horror from ABC, producer Aaron Spelling, and director Walter Grauman. Maggie Porter (Hope Lange) inherits a farm in rural Massachusetts, and she and her artist husband Ben (Paul Burke) decide to leave their home in Boston for the country life. Not long after arriving, Maggie begins to have strange visions and foreboding feelings that she can't explain. Things get even worse when the couple decide to adopt a young girl (Cindy Eilbacher) who may be more than meets the eye. Also featuring Lloyd Bochner, Patricia Barry, Cyril Delevanti, Milton Selzer, Virginia Gregg, John Carradine, and William Smith.

This TV movie chiller was a big hit, and has gone on to cult status among fans of the genre. I find many of these types of stories repetitive and uninspired, but this one is well-handled, with a decent script, good direction, and solid performances. One of the better TV fright films of the era, in my opinion.   (7/10)

Crowhaven+Farm+coven+-+Hope+Lange+and+Pa

I had been searching for a DVD of this for ages. I finally found a copy on Amazon, but even with the blue ray player, the film looks like somebody recorded it on a video camera from the TV. But it's definitely creepy and one of my favorites.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

The Subterraneans (1960) Directed by Ranald MacDougall, Written by Robert Thom based on a Jack Kerouac novel. Stars Leslie Caron, George Peppard, Janice Rule, Roddy McDowall, Jim Hutton, and Arte Johnson cavort as a bunch of North Beach Beatniks in San Francisco. 

The Subterraneans Poster

Leo Percepied(Peppard) is a 28 year old writer living with his mother, with no friends. He thinks normal people are too shallow. He accidentally meets a group of beatniks who drag him to a subterranean bar. There he meets Mardou (Caron) a beautiful blonde French girl. Leo and Mardou fall in love with each other. They make love they fight, they break up. Leo has an affair with another beatchick. Mardou splits the scene. She re-appears with the news that she's pregnant and they leave the bohemian life. 

Apparently it didn't work out. Leo skips out of Frisco becomes a deadbeat dad, changes his name to Paul Varjak, pops up in New York City, gets picked up by a Sugar Mama who sets him up in a Brownstone where he starts writing again. There Leo/Paul fall for the $50 a trip to the "powder room" New York City call girl who lives downstairs with her cat.

6/10

This sounds really AWFUL. I remember this being shown on network tv eons ago. Sorry now I didnt watch it!

"Colette" - Wash Westmoreland - 2018 -

It's a wonderfully involving tale of the famous French author whose early works (the Claudine novels) were co-opted by her so-called husband -

Colette was a talented, but timid soul whose true identity wasn't evolved UNTIL she discovered and embraced her lesbianism - 

beautifully produced, directed and acted by Keira Knightley, Dominic West and Denise Gough as her lesbian lover -

colette-kira-knightly.jpg

• Like 2

The Catman of Paris (1946) - Period-piece horror thriller from Republic Pictures and director Lesley Selander. In 19th century Paris, a series of grisly murders are committed by a man described as being half cat. Promising new author Charles Regnier (Carl Esmond) comes to believe that he may be the Catman, distressing both he and his beloved, Marie (Lenore Aubert). Meanwhile, police Inspector Severen (Gerald Mohr) is determined to bring the Catman to justice. Also featuring Adele Mara, Douglass Dumbrille, Fritz Feld, Georges Renavent, Francis McDonald, Anthony Caruso, and John Dehner.

This obscurity isn't too awful if one goes in with lowered expectations. The cast is competent, and although there's a distinct lack of suspense, I found the history and mythology of the catman to be interesting. An uncredited Robert J. Wilke played the Catman whenever he's in full cat-face mode.   (6/10)

220px-The_Catman_of_Paris_poster.jpg

the-catman-of-paris-lenore-aubert-everet

The Spider Woman Strikes Back (1946) - Unusual mystery/thriller from Universal Pictures and director Arthur Lubin. Jean (Brenda Joyce) has just been hired on to be an assistant to reclusive blind woman Zenobia Dollard (Gale Sondergaard). It doesn't take long before Jean begins to suspect something isn't quite right with her new job, the least of which is Zenobia's manservant Mario (Rondo Hatton). However, the truth about her real value to Ms. Dollard will be a horrifying revelation to Jean. Also featuring Milburn Stone, Kirby Grant, Ruth Robinson, Norman Leavitt, and Hobart Cavanaugh.

The title and cast make this sound like a sequel to a Sherlock Holmes movie, but it isn't. Sondergaard is enjoyable as always, one of the most sneeringly delectable of screen bad girls. Brenda Joyce is a bit bland, though. The plot that Sondergaard's character has concocted is certainly unique! This is short (less than an hour), and isn't flashy or deep, but it's a fun bit of entertainment.   (7/10)

Spider_Woman_Strikes_Back_-_hs_600.jpg

• Like 5

The Creeper (1948) - Muddled mystery/thriller from 20th Century Fox, Reliance Pictures, and director Jean Yarbrough. Nora Cavigny (Janis Wilson) is a high-strung young woman with a severe phobia of cats. When murders start occurring with the victims showing signs of being mauled by a cat, Nora becomes a suspect, despite the presence of some shady scientists conducting experiments with cats. Featuring Onslow Stevens, Eduardo Ciannelli, Ralph Morgan, June Vincent, John Baragrey, Richard Lane, Lotte Stein, and Philip Ahn.

There's a lot wrong with this one, including a turgid script, mediocre direction from Yarbrough, and a bunch of workmanlike performances. There's some unintentional amusement provided by the love triangle between Baragrey, Wilson, and Vincent, as Baragrey is hopelessly smitten with the wild-eyed, often hysterical Wilson, which infuriates Vincent, as she has a thing for Baragrey, and she shows it by being catty (no pun intended), churlish, and thoroughly off-putting. This would make a good triple bill with The Catman of Paris and 1957's Cat Girl.   (5/10)

"Ma'am, I think something's wrong with your cat."

MV5BYzY2MWRlNjYtZDhiMi00MGU5LWI4NzYtMTYx 

• Like 1

"Amityville: The Awakening - Franck Khalfoun - 2017 -

starring Jennifer Jason Leigh (as the mom) and Bella Thorne, McKenna Grace and Cameron Monaghan (as her three children) -

this horror film is a surprising and interesting addition to the franchise -

and has a deeply disturbing relationship between the mom and her comatose son -

suffice it to say, if I talk about it in any detail, I will spoil it for me -

for devotees of the horror franchise -

and for anyone interested in the lengths that a mom will go for her son -

errily realized and directed -

with a knockout performance from Cameron Monaghan that will chill you to the bone -

amityvilletheawakening_7.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, rayban said:

"Amityville: The Awakening

For me, that one was in a dead heat with Tom Cruise's The Mummy for worst film of 2017. I think the Cruise film ultimately takes the top (or bottom) spot, though, as it had more money and more talent involved that should have produced a better movie.

• Like 1

The Seven Cities Of Gold (1955) Director: Robert D. Webb, stars Richard Egan, Anthony Quinn, Michael Rennie, story about colonial California. It was actually quite well done, kept my interest, though you have to chuckle it has Jeffrey Hunter and Rita Moreno playing the native brother and sister. A big color frontier epic that I've never seen before 7/10.

Seven Cities of Gold Poster

• Like 3

The Strange Door (1951) - Period-piece suspense from Universal Pictures and director Joseph Pevney. Crazed French nobleman Sire Alain de Maletroit (Charles Laughton) has young rogue Denis de Beaulieu (Richard Wyler) brought to his castle, where Maletroit forces Denis to agree to marry his niece Blanche (Sally Forrest), and failure to agree to do so will result in the young man's death. It's all part of some scheme by Maletroit to torment his brother Edmond (Paul Cavanagh), who is imprisoned in the basement dungeon guarded over by Voltan (Boris Karloff). Also featuring Alan Napier, William Cottrell, Morgan Farley, and Michael Pate.

Based on a work by Robert Louis Stevenson, this has high-quality production values, an unusual sympathetic turn from Karloff, and Laughton having a lip-smacking good time as the evil Maletroit. The film is largely undone, though, by the less than compelling leads. Wyler and Forrest are both bland performers and have nary a scintilla of screen charisma between them.    (6/10)

strange+door+1.jpg

• Like 2

The Sound Barrier (1952) - British aviation drama from London Films, writer Terence Rattigan, and director David Lean. The film depicts British efforts to refine jet-engine aviation with the eventual hope of breaking the sound barrier. Aircraft company chief J.R. (Ralph Richardson) is single-minded in his drive for success, much to the dismay of his daughter Susan (Ann Todd), whose husband Tony (Nigel Patrick) is J.R.'s main test pilot. Also featuring John Justin, Dinah Sheridan, Joseph Tomelty, Jack Allen, Ralph Michael, and Denholm Elliott.

Many viewers will find this too dry and even dull for long stretches, and history buffs may be annoyed at the historical liberties taken with the subject. However, Richardson gives an amazingly subtle performance, one that has a true arc throughout the film, and it makes the whole thing worthwhile. Patrick and Todd grated on my nerves a bit, but that may have been necessary for the later dramatic turns in the tale. The movie won the Oscar for Best Sound, while Terence Rattigan received a nomination for Best Writing, Story & Screenplay.   (7/10)

Source: FilmStruck

MV5BZmFjNWUwMzMtYzllNS00ZWQwLTkwZDgtNmNh

• Like 1