Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

22 hours ago, Fedya said:

Bachelor Flat (1961)

Terry-Thomas plays a British professor in California who has all the coeds falling for him through no doing of his own.  He's engaged to Celeste Holm, and renting her beach house while she's in Paris.  Then her daughter (Tuesday Weld) runs away from boarding school and returns home.  Except that Mom never bothered to tell either her daughter, or her fiancé, about each other and the impending marriage.  Richard Beymer plays a student who lives in a trailer on the property.

Incredibly unfunny generation gap movie in which the characters tell one lie after another because they're afraid of the truth coming out.  Only, none of the lies are funny, and the movie gets increasingly shrill.  The subplot about a dinosaur bone and Beymer's dachshund isn't very funny, either.

4/10.

Frank Tashlin could really make BAD screen comedies.

• Like 1

Zarak (1956)  -  5/10

220px-Zarak_(movie_poster).jpg

British/American costume adventure tale about Zarak (Victor Mature), the eldest son of a chieftain in 19th century Afghanistan. He gets exiled after being caught making time with one of his dad's wives (Anita Ekberg), so he heads for the hills and becomes a notorious bandit leader, a thorn in the side to the local British authorities (Michael Wilding and Patrick McGoohan). Also featuring Finlay Currie, Eunice Gayson, Bonar Colleano, Peter Illing, Bernard Miles, Andre Morell, Frederick Valk, Geoffrey Keen, and Harold Goodwin. From producer Albert R. Broccoli, this has many people in front of and behind the camera that would go on to work in the same producer's James Bond films. Yakima Canutt worked as the second-unit director. This was based on a true story that bears virtually no resemblance to the events in the film. The real Zarak was a 20th century Afghan bandit who later became a very unlikely WWII hero on the Allied side. His actual story sounds much more interesting than the silliness on screen here. There's really only one reason to watch this:

AE.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Teenage Rebel (1956)  -  6/10

Teenage_Rebel_(movie_poster).jpg

Don't let the title fool you; this is a standard big-studio melodrama, and not a fun piece of teen exploitation trash. Ginger Rogers stars as a mother struggling to connect with her teen daughter (Betty Lou Keim) when she comes to live with Rogers and her second husband (Michael Rennie) and young son (Rusty Swope). Keim has been raised by Rogers' first husband, and due to their acrimonious divorce, she's never been in her mother's life. Also featuring Warren Berlinger, Diane Jergens, Mildred Natwick, Irene Hervey, John Stephenson, and Louise Beavers. This was based on a play, and Berlinger and Keim reprise their stage roles. The two would marry in 1960, and they remained together until her death in 2010. The script isn't anything groundbreaking, but it works as passable Middle America melodrama. The movie is chiefly remembered now for being the first B&W CinemaScope film. It was also inexplicably nominated for Oscars for Art Direction and Costumes. The little brother is annoying, so of course his name is Larry.

Betty Lou Keim, who was so good in this film, was, at the Oscars telecast, refused an "in memoriam" tribute.

Wasn't this one the last film of Edmund Goulding?

The transfer to DVD destroyed the Cinemascope format.  

22 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Zarak (1956)  -  5/10

220px-Zarak_(movie_poster).jpg

There's really only one reason to watch this:

AE.gif

Good enough.

b5d6741da89c3b206ac0ec94f3b19c9e.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well if one wishes to see Anita dancing I recommend Screaming Mimi (1958);  This noir film is only OK, but it has great jazz music,  Anita looks wonderful (and does 2 dance numbers),  and it also features Gypsy Rose Lee.

Image result for Screaming Mimi images

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Tom, I think you might like Miss Ekberg in this film.

71hzF1b6ZqL._SX466_.jpg

anita.jpg

DopeyCrazyAmericanblackvulture-max-1mb.g

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rayban said:

Did Hollywood ever realize the potential of Anita Ekberg?

Only her Hollywood boyfriends.

All joking aside, Anita apparently had a fair share of famous ones in LA LA Land.

anita06-600x943.jpg

• Like 1

She was, to put it simply, both beautiful and voluptuous.

Perhaps only Fellini realized her on screen in "La Dolce Vita" and "The Last Temptation of Dr. Antonio".  

All at Sea aka Barnacle Bill (1957)  -  7/10

220px-Barnacle_Bill_(1957_film).jpg

Ealing comedy with Alec Guinness as a retired Naval hero suffering from debilitating sea sickness. He uses his life savings to buy a run down amusement park on a dilapidated pier. With the help of his few employees, he transforms the place into a spot of some repute, which angers the nearby town council that want the place demolished. Also featuring Percy Herbert, Irene Browne, Victor Maddern, Harold Goodwin, Maurice Denham, Lionel Jeffries, Miles Malleson, Donald Pleasence, Joan Hickson, and Jackie Collins. Though not up the studio's earlier triumphs featuring Guinness, this is still an amusing farce with some wit and style, and Guinness in top form, once again (briefly) playing multiple characters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Zarak (1956)  -  5/10

AE.gif

or two ...

Just now, scsu1975 said:

or two ...

I was waiting for that joke, and I had a suspicion on who would make it, too...;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Tom, I think you might like Miss Ekberg in this film.

AE.gif

71hzF1b6ZqL._SX466_.jpg

anita.jpg

Well, I was debating as to whether to watch Through A Glass Darkly, Schindler's List or take another shot at Blow Up tonight. For some reason I decided to select Zarack instead.

Didn't think that much of the film but, as for Anita's scenes:

tumblr_lq90hru8QB1qggmk3o1_250.gif

Thank you for the recommendation, Lawrence.

• Haha 1

Baby Face Nelson (1957)  -  7/10

51mCYennmzL._SX425_.jpg

Gangster pic featuring Mickey Rooney as the title bad guy, a bank robber and killer during the Depression era. Also featuring Carolyn Jones as his gal pal, Leo Gordon as John Dillinger, Elisha Cook as Homer van Meter, Cedric Hardwicke, Anthony Caruso, John Hoyt, Dabbs Greer, Ted de Corsia, George E. Stone, Lisa Davis, Duke Mitchell, and Jack Elam as "Fatso". Rooney is one of my least favorite Golden Age stars, but I thought he was good in this. The movie is really violent for the time, with lots and lots of gunfire, especially with Tommy guns. A gritty, down and dirty crime thriller with excellent direction from Don Siegel.

"An era of jazz, jalopies, prohibition, and trigger-happy punks!" Yeah!

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

AE.gif

for boobies!!!!

11 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This noir film is only OK, but it has great jazz music

But I didn't think the "act" and the jazz music went together very well, but that is just my opinion.

I don’t even like MANHATTAN MELODRAMA all that much and I watched it because I’m jonesing that hard to see something in black-and-white.

I know we’re not even there yet, but the three most insulting days of the year for me are March 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

OH OSCAR MONTH, FROM HELLS HEART I STAB AT THEE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

But I didn't think the "act" and the jazz music went together very well, but that is just my opinion.

Anita Ekberg is a sensual, sexy marvel in Screaming Mimi but that music in the nightclub when she does her act is a strange selection, to say the least.

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Baby Face Nelson (1957)  -  7/10

51mCYennmzL._SX425_.jpg

Gangster pic featuring Mickey Rooney as the title bad guy, a bank robber and killer during the Depression era. Also featuring Carolyn Jones as his gal pal, Leo Gordon as John Dillinger, Elisha Cook as Homer van Meter, Cedric Hardwicke, Anthony Caruso, John Hoyt, Dabbs Greer, Ted de Corsia, George E. Stone, Lisa Davis, Duke Mitchell, and Jack Elam as "Fatso". Rooney is one of my least favorite Golden Age stars, but I thought he was good in this. The movie is really violent for the time, with lots and lots of gunfire, especially with Tommy guns. A gritty, down and dirty crime thriller with excellent direction from Don Siegel.

"An era of jazz, jalopies, prohibition, and trigger-happy punks!" Yeah!

hqdefault.jpg

Mickey Rooney as a gangster??? LMREO! I have to see this before I die.......

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don’t even like MANHATTAN MELODRAMA all that much and I watched it because I’m jonesing that hard to see something in black-and-white.

I know we’re not even there yet, but the three most insulting days of the year for me are March 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

OH OSCAR MONTH, FROM HELLS HEART I STAB AT THEE

YES. Isnt 28 days enough??????????? Right through the wknd! :(

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hibi said:

YES. Isnt 28 days enough??????????? Right through the wknd! :(

Two hours is enough.

Just show a millisecond of everything ever nominated sped up real fast.

• Haha 1

"Anastasia" - Anatole Litvak - 1956 -

such a strange movie -

first of all, we know that "Anastasia" is not the real Anastasia, because she gets such careful instruction from the Yul Brynner character -

secondly, there is no doubt that the Helen Hayes character will eventually be "won over" by all the duplicitness -

so, there is really no suspense -

instead it's a study in overwhelming ambition -

a sick woman wants to be "somebody" -

and a deceitful man wants to score "a coup" against the long-gone monarchy which mistreated him-

then, at the end, we suddenly learn that the film is "a love story" -

because Ingrid Bergman runs off with Yul Brynner -

never, in the film, has there been an instance of affection between them -

because he uses her in the most despicable way -

and she allows herself to be abused constantly -

Yul Brynner is truly a study in ugliness -  

and Ingrid Bergman is truly a study in being "a dishrag" -

however, the direction by Anatole Litvak is both elegant and lively -

and the production values are breathtakingly first-rate -

but, basically, it is such an ugly film -

if you relish watching a woman being abused -

and a man reveling in that abuse -

you have found your film -

Anastasia_(1956)_trailer_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think in the play Anastasia runs off, but not with the Brynner character. The play is loosely based on the story of Anna Anderson who fought all her life (a very long one) to be recognized. She was proved wrong (post-mortum) by DNA testing. Still, she knew an incredible amount of knowledge about the royal family and I think she truly believed she was (I've read several books about her) The Brynner character was made up for the play/film.

In real life Anderson never met the Dowager Empress.

• Like 1