Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

Bernardine (1957)  -  4/10

220px-Bernardine_FilmPoster.jpeg

Cornball musical romance featuring the film debut of "America's new boyfriend" Pat Boone. He plays a high school student who tries to help his best friend (Dick Sargent) with his romantic intentions toward telephone company operator Terry Moore. Also featuring Janet Gaynor, Dean Jagger, Walter Abel, Natalie Schafer, James Drury, Ronnie Burns, and Isabel Jewell. Fox was hoping to start a film series with Boone to compete with the Elvis films. Janet Gaynor had't been in a movie since 1938, and this return proved to be her final film. This is the movie equivalent of an American-cheese-on-white-bread sandwich served with a glass of milk.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Cornball musical romance featuring the film debut of "America's new boyfriend" Pat Boone. He plays a high school student who tries to help his best friend (Dick Sargent) with his romantic intentions toward telephone company operator Terry Moore. Also featuring Janet Gaynor, Dean Jagger, Walter Abel, Natalie Schafer, James Drury, Ronnie Burns, and Isabel Jewell. Fox was hoping to start a film series with Boone to compete with the Elvis films. Janet Gaynor had't been in a movie since 1938, and this return proved to be her final film. This is the movie equivalent of an American-cheese-on-white-bread sandwich served with a glass of milk.

I saw this not too long ago. A Head scratcher why Gaynor decided to come back to appear in this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Cornball musical romance featuring the film debut of "America's new boyfriend" Pat Boone. He plays a high school student who tries to help his best friend (Dick Sargent) with his romantic intentions toward telephone company operator Terry Moore.

I had heard that Pat Boone did not want to do romantic or kissing scenes with a girl he was not married to. So he took the part of the best friend of the guy in love. However he had no problem in "State Fair" getting romantic with Ann Margret (who could blame him?)

image.jpeg.4660fcc0ee8878485304cf04e472ee4a.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I had heard that Pat Boone did not want to do romantic or kissing scenes with a girl he was not married to. So he took the part of the best friend of the guy in love. However he had no problem in "State Fair" getting romantic with Ann Margret (who could blame him?)

image.jpeg.4660fcc0ee8878485304cf04e472ee4a.jpeg

Yeah, and they had that sexy number, Willing and Eager. I've always wondered about that. I'd read he refused to kiss Shirley Jones in April Love........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

I'd read he refused to kiss Shirley Jones in April Love........

Also true. It looked like they were about to kiss but got interrupted.

6 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I had heard that Pat Boone did not want to do romantic or kissing scenes with a girl he was not married to. So he took the part of the best friend of the guy in love.

That explains a lot. I was surprised at how chaste and removed from the action he was in Bernardine, given most of the rock/pop idols were the romantic leads in their own films. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Also true. It looked like they were about to kiss but got interrupted.

I just read on imdb, he said he refused because it was not in the script and he needed his wife's permission first!

• Haha 2

The Burglar (1957)  -  7/10

220px-Theburglarposter.jpg

Low-budget crime drama with Dan Duryea as the leader of a small gang of thieves who steal a valuable necklace. While they lay low and wait for the heat to die down, they start coming apart at the seams, not the least of which is due to the presence of Duryea's surrogate little sister Jayne Mansfield. Also featuring Martha Vickers, Peter Capell, Mickey Shaughnessy, and Stewart Bradley. This was shot in '55 but languished on the shelf until Mansfield's star started to rise and it finally saw release. I liked it, despite its many rough edges. First-time director Paul Wendkos shows a lot of inventiveness, and the script is more sexually frank than most at the time.

burglar1956_060520130112.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Burglar has a beautiful demonstration of minimalist acting by Dan Duryea. He`s highly effective as a flawed person (a crook) who lives by a code of honour. The film has an exciting opening of suspense depicting the title burglary. The middle portion may drag a bit but it leads to a memorable climax, its setting made me think of Lady from Shanghai. I also thought that Mansfield brought a credible innocence to her role.

This is an effective little crime drama that will bring pleasure to those tuning in, especially if they're not expecting much.

• Like 3

AGATHA AND THE TRUTH OF MURDER (2018) *Score: 5.5/10 

Starring: Ralph Ineson, Ruth Bradley, Blake Harrison, Pippa Haywood, Tim McInnerny, Michael McElhatton. 

This is a fictionalized account of prominent novelist Agatha Christie's 11-day disappearance back in 1926. Evidently, Christie never revealed where she was or what she was doing during that time; the writers of this film imagined what it would be like if Christie went off and solved an actual murder. 

Christie is approached at her home by a retired nurse who wants Christie to solve her lover's murder. The murder happened several years ago, but the trail went cold, so the police gave up and moved on to something else. Christie eventually agrees to help, disguises herself as a law-firm secretary, and formulates an imaginary will-reading at an old house, that names each of the nurse's murder suspects as heirs. 

Another murder does occur (as is generally the pattern of these things), and it's a race against time to discover who the true killer is before they strike again... I enjoyed the overall feeling of this film. I am a huge Agatha Christie fan, and I like to watch film adaptations either about her, or about her books. I solved almost all of the murder by myself (for once) and was immensely proud. Although, maybe reading Christie's books at least two times each had a hand in my success. 

*Source: Netflix 

Related image

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

The Burglar has a beautiful demonstration of minimalist acting by Dan Duryea. He`s highly effective as a flawed person (a crook) who lives by a code of honour. The film has an exciting opening of suspense depicting the title burglary. The middle portion may drag a bit but it leads to a memorable climax, its setting made me think of Lady from Shanghai. I also thought that Mansfield brought a credible innocence to her role.

This is an effective little crime drama that will bring pleasure to those tuning in, not expecting much.

I have it on one of the Columbia Noir box sets. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Starring: Ralph Ineson, Ruth Bradley, Blake Harrison, Pippa Haywood, Tim McInnerny, Michael McElhatton. 

This is a fictionalized account of prominent novelist Agatha Christie's 11-day disappearance back in 1926. Evidently, Christie never revealed where she was or what she was doing during that time; the writers of this film imagined what it would be like if Christie went off and solved an actual murder. 

Christie is approached at her home by a retired nurse who wants Christie to solve her lover's murder. The murder happened several years ago, but the trail went cold, so the police gave up and moved on to something else. Christie eventually agrees to help, disguises herself as a law-firm secretary, and formulates an imaginary will-reading at an old house, that names each of the nurse's murder suspects as heirs. 

Another murder does occur (as is generally the pattern of these things), and it's a race against time to discover who the true killer is before they strike again... I enjoyed the overall feeling of this film. I am a huge Agatha Christie fan, and I like to watch film adaptations either about her, or about her books. I solved almost all of the murder by myself (for once) and was immensely proud. Although, maybe reading Christie's books at least two times each had a hand in my success. 

Related image

I'd go a 6/10 watched it last night before I Am The Night

• Like 1

Carnival Rock (1957)  -  4/10

51Ar9NaXB6L._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

Roger Corman directed this low-budget mash-up of noir melodrama and rock musical. David J. Stewart stars as the sad-sack owner of a music club located in a pier carnival. He's in love with star singer Susan Cabot, but she's in love with moneyed Brian G. Hutton. Stewart also owes big money to some bad hombres, and his obsession with Cabot may spell his doom. Also featuring Dick Miller, Jonathan Haze, Ed Nelson, Bruno VeSota, Iris Adrian, and Chris Alcaide as "Slug". There are a number of song performances at Stewart's club, including some by David Houston, Bob Luman and His Shadows, and the Platters. Cabot also sings a couple, including "Ou-Shoo-Bla-D", perhaps one of the worst songs ever recorded. It rivals Stewart's acting for worst thing in the movie.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Carnival Rock (1957)  -  4/10

51Ar9NaXB6L._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,Bott

Roger Corman directed this low-budget mash-up of noir melodrama and rock musical. David J. Stewart stars as the sad-sack owner of a music club located in a pier carnival. He's in love with star singer Susan Cabot, but she's in love with moneyed Brian G. Hutton. Stewart also owes big money to some bad hombres, and his obsession with Cabot may spell his doom. Also featuring Dick Miller, Jonathan Haze, Ed Nelson, Bruno VeSota, Iris Adrian, and Chris Alcaide as "Slug". There are a number of song performances at Stewart's club, including some by David Houston, Bob Luman and His Shadows, and the Platters. Cabot also sings a couple, including "Ou-Shoo-Bla-D", perhaps one of the worst songs ever recorded. It rivals Stewart's acting for worst thing in the movie.

I love Susan (Wasp Woman) Cabot. How was she as a singer?

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I love Susan (Wasp Woman) Cabot. How was she as a singer?

Eh...not so good. I take it you can't watch the embedded video (don't you post from work)? I'm not sure what she could do with a decent song, of which there are none here. The Platters were good, though.

• Like 1

No, I didnt want to watch it here. I'll take a peak now.

LOL. I dont think she was bad. (Loved the dress!) Who knows if that's really her singing? Awful song, I agree.

Her end was so sad.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Related image

There was also 1979's Agatha which took a speculative look at the disappearance.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

There was also 1979's Agatha which took a speculative look at the disappearance.

"Agatha" with Dustin Hoffman and Vanessa Redgrave was a terrible film.

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I think in the play Anastasia runs off, but not with the Brynner character. The play is loosely based on the story of Anna Anderson who fought all her life (a very long one) to be recognized. She was proved wrong (post-mortum) by DNA testing. Still, she knew an incredible amount of knowledge about the royal family and I think she truly believed she was (I've read several books about her) The Brynner character was made up for the play/film.

In real life Anderson never met the Dowager Empress.

I find it difficult to comprehend the success of this material on Broadway and in the movies.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Low-budget crime drama with Dan Duryea as the leader of a small gang of thieves who steal a valuable necklace. While they lay low and wait for the heat to die down, they start coming apart at the seams, not the least of which is due to the presence of Duryea's surrogate little sister Jayne Mansfield. Also featuring Martha Vickers, Peter Capell, Mickey Shaughnessy, and Stewart Bradley. This was shot in '55 but languished on the shelf until Mansfield's star started to rise and it finally saw release. I liked it, despite its many rough edges. First-time director Paul Wendkos shows a lot of inventiveness, and the script is more sexually frank than most at the time.

burglar1956_060520130112.jpg

Jayne Mansfield was a good actress.

Unfortunately, her image got in her way.

And, of course, Frank Tashlin treated her like a cartoon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The film is a terrible disappointment.

For some of us, Pat Boone's "virginity" was such a turn-on.

The play on Broadway was written by Mary ("Harvey") Chase and had some success with John ("Tea and Sympathy") Kerr.

Daughter of Dr. Jekyll (1957)  -  6/10

51BOR7kjQEL._SX450_.jpg

Atmospheric horror from director Edgar G. Ulmer. Couple Gloria Talbott and John Agar travel to her father's secluded manor estate to inform him of their engagement. Only her father (Arthur Shields) tells her that he's not her father, he only raised her, as her real father was the notorious Doctor Jekyll. Gloria wants to call off the wedding, but John insists they stay together, even when mysterious murders begin to take place around the manor grounds, with the finger pointing toward Gloria. Also with John Dierkes, Mollie McCard, Martha Wentworth, and Marjorie Stapp. The budget is obviously limited, but Ulmer and crew do an admirable job of creating menace and eerie unease. The plot holds no surprises, however, and the "twist" is ruined by the movie's opening shots. For some reason they keep referring to the Jekyll curse as being a "human werewolf". They also manage to pronounce the name JAY-cull, GEE-cull, and JEH-cull.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomJH said:

This is an effective little crime drama that will bring pleasure to those tuning in, especially if they're not expecting much.

I think this is Dan Duryea's best performance in a film. I wish TCM would show The Burglar more often.

• Like 2