Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

RUTHLESS! THE MUSICAL (Broadway HD.com) *Score: 6/10* 

A musical that parodies such classics as "Gypsy," "All About Eve," and "The Bad Seed" (among others). 

Related image

Wow...glad you clarified you "liked it" because it sounds utterly ridiculous. Why would anyone parody several very different shows? (sounds horrible!) 

I am glad however these great style dresses are coming back in style- flattering silhouettes and bright colors & patterns. (just bought a dress with a crinoline yesterday)

aside from any scenes that feature a shirtless CHRIS EVANS, i have NO interest in the whole MARVEL/DC superhero-re-boot-a-verse BUT, I do realize and respect two things about it:

1. it means a lot to a lot of other people and makes them happy (so good) and- aside from some possible body dysmorphia issues- I don't think they're putting bad ideas into impressionable heads.

and

2. comic book fandom, like heterosexuality, is not for me personally, but if people chose to live their life that way (and it gives them something akin to joy), hey, it doesn't cause me any harm, so more power to 'em.

from time to time, i toy around with the notion of writing a spec script that concerns a LAST ACTION HERO type scenario where a peculiar, misanthropic, middle-aged intellectual who avoids modern culture entirely finds himself "magically transported" into some sort of HARRY POTTER/STAR WARS/ AVENGERS type scenario and the whole world must watch with bated breath as he apathetically has to navigate through the baroque scenarios and plots that he knows squat about in order to preserve a world that he doesn't give two squats about BUT THAT MEANS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE ELSE.

(might be interesting, maybe call it THE CHOSEN ONE)

• Like 3
14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Anna Lucasta (1958)  -  6/10

Anna-lucasta-box.jpg

Drama with Eartha Kitt as the title lady, a prostitute who is brought back to her home in order to marry the son (Henry Scott) of her father's friend. However, her moralizing father (Rex Ingram) may undermine that plan, as may sailor Sammy Davis Jr. who also wants to marry Anna. Also featuring Frederick O'Neal, Georgia Burke, Rosetta LeNoire, Isabel Cooley, Alvin Childress, Claire Leyba, and James Edwards. Film version of a stage hit from writer Philip Yordan that was originally about a Polish family. Kitt and Davis are terrific, but much of the dialogue is corny and the direction is flat.

This was originally about a POLISH family? LMREO!

The Cool and the Crazy (1958)  -  4/10

cool-crazy.jpg

Ludicrous JD/drug-scare movie featuring Scott Marlowe as the bad-boy new-kid in school who sells "M" (marijuana) to the other students, driving them insane with drug addiction, resulting in murder and ruination. Also featuring Gigi Perreau, Richard Bakalyan, Dickie Jones, Shelby Storck, Marvyn J. Rosen, and Robert Hadden as "Cookie". This is like a 30's drug movie mixed with a bad 50's juvenile delinquent flick. Kids bang their heads on tables after smoking "the reefers", and they get the sweats and shakes when they don't get their "M" fix. The acting is Method-gone-wrong, especially from Marlowe, who seems to be attempting to set some sort of record for most annoying screen performance. Bad movie fans should seek this out, but all others should avoid.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cry Terror! (1958)  -  7/10

Cry-Terror-Poster-5.jpg

Thriller featuring James Mason as a man duped into making a bomb that's used by a criminal gang led by Rod Steiger to threaten an airline into paying a half million dollar ransom. Steiger and crew hold Mason hostage along with his wife Inger Stevens and young daughter. Also featuring Angie Dickinson, Jack Klugman, Neville Brand, Kenneth Tobey, Barney Phillips, William Schallert, Jack Kruschen, and Carleton Young. The criminal's plan seems a bit clunky, as does the filming making, which randomly uses voice-over from Mason and Stevens to keep things moving. However, the assemblage of baddies is amusing, particularly Brand in one of his signature creepy slobs roles, as a Benny-popping would-be rapist. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Cry Terror! (1958)  -  7/10

Cry-Terror-Poster-5.jpg

Thriller featuring James Mason as a man duped into making a bomb that's used by a criminal gang led by Rod Steiger to threaten an airline into paying a half million dollar ransom. Steiger and crew hold Mason hostage along with his wife Inger Stevens and young daughter. Also featuring Angie Dickinson, Jack Klugman, Neville Brand, Kenneth Tobey, Barney Phillips, William Schallert, Jack Kruschen, and Carleton Young. The criminal's plan seems a bit clunky, as does the filming making, which randomly uses voice-over from Mason and Stevens to keep things moving. However, the assemblage of baddies is amusing, particularly Brand in one of his signature creepy slobs roles, as a Benny-popping would-be rapist. 

Poor Inger. She always got stuck playing these kind of roles in films......

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Since you're up to 1958, will you be doing Stakeout on Dope Street?  Curious to read your views on the movie.

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

cool-crazy.jpg

Ludicrous JD/drug-scare movie featuring Scott Marlowe as the bad-boy new-kid in school who sells "M" (marijuana) to the other students, driving them insane with drug addiction, resulting in murder and ruination. Also featuring Gigi Perreau, Richard Bakalyan, Dickie Jones, Shelby Storck, Marvyn J. Rosen, and Robert Hadden as "Cookie". This is like a 30's drug movie mixed with a bad 50's juvenile delinquent flick. Kids bang their heads on tables after smoking "the reefers", and they get the sweats and shakes when they don't get their "M" fix. The acting is Method-gone-wrong, especially from Marlowe, who seems to be attempting to set some sort of record for most annoying screen performance. Bad movie fans should seek this out, but all others should avoid.

Funny but I couldn't recall who Scott Marlowe was,  but I just watched an episode of Gunsmoke and who was one of the main guess stars;  Scott Marlowe.    The other was William Tallman.    It was a well done but sad episode where Tallman is a killer that was released from prison,  bonds with the young punk Scott,  but finds out there is no way back home.  

• Like 1

Green Book (2018) 5/10

I'm arriving here late. The Best Picture award was already won, the many controversies raged, the reception was split between those who loved it and those who despised it. In the case of the reactions, I can see both what people love about it and what people hate. Its a feel-good film, one that is definitely not a heavy film despite dealing with heavy themes. Mahershala Ali hits the right notes for his performance. The period look (if not always the mores) seems on point. I was also taken by Linda Cardellini's brief turn.

But then there are the problems. And they are there and they can be glaring. The film is way too neat and tidy for its own good. I like a film that is glossy and made with care, but the problems are just ironed away far too neatly. The Viggo Mortensen character changes way too quickly. It almost borders on science-fiction in that respect. And the fact that his character "tutors" Ali's character about fried chicken ( which smacks of hurtful stereotypes) and about black R & B singers is condescending and quease-inducing.

But the big debit here is that I'm quite familiar with Driving Miss Daisy, and this is no Driving Miss Daisy. That 1989 film was in many ways a much more nuanced, convincing film then this one. That one was able to realize that certain racial issues don't just disappear like magic, that some interpersonal problems would always be there between its two characters even if they did eventually warm to one another over a period of 25 years. This one, though supposedly based on a true story and not on a play like Miss Daisy, feels frankly tinny and false in thinking that so much can change in just two months. I might not be an expert on human nature, but whole lifetimes of harmful preconceptions can't end that easily. That's how I feel.

And P.S. I resenting hearing Pittsburgh referred to, more than once, as "Titsburgh".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'd like to see the full production of Ruthless! the Musical. The song I've heard from it is hilarious, as the mother-turned-reluctant-star wishes she could go back to the more fulfilling life of ironing clothes, etc.

I saw the first hour of Get Carter. Probably could have pushed through to the end, but I didn't care enough. Pretty much a case study in why I don't usually like 1970s crime pictures. Good enough story idea: criminal Michael Caine goes back to his hometown to find out who killed his brother and avenge his death. The cinematographer, alas, has seen Klute and is impressed by how darkly Gordon Willis lit most of the scenes. The script is rather offhand, with minimal characterization and not much suspense. Everything is set up to be the work of a fancy-schmancy director/auteur: the scenes are set up for style, with script, actors, and characters suitably de-emphasized, but the director has few ideas about what that style might be. Nothing but Michael Caine held my interest at all. Jigsaw and Scorpio are similar films with related problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Bad movie fans should seek this out, but all others should avoid.

Well, I couldn't resist that...

So, I just finished watching it...you're right of course, it's bad...but probably not much worse than the other 'JD' films of the 50's.  Marlowe is overdoing the James Dean 'angst' thing, and a lot of these 'teenage boys' have some awfully deep facial lines to be so young.  Obviously, the writer didn't do their homework, or they would've sent the gang over to that Pat's Pig BBQ place for the munchies. 😎 

Evidently, this was released on a double bill with Dragstrip Riot (with Fay Wray and Connie Stevens!..) 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow...glad you clarified you "liked it" because it sounds utterly ridiculous. Why would anyone parody several very different shows? (sounds horrible!) 

I am glad however these great style dresses are coming back in style- flattering silhouettes and bright colors & patterns. (just bought a dress with a crinoline yesterday)

It's mainly "Gypsy" with hints of "All About Eve" and "The Bad Seed." The singing was great, and the acting was great as well. Not one of my favorite shows of all time, by any means, but it was entertaining. 

Daddy-O (1958)  -  3/10

71vHPIoLAVL._SX425_.jpg

Incredibly bad but entertaining crime picture starring Dick Contino as a rock singer (stage name "Daddy-O") who gets mixed up with a heroin smuggling ring run by Bruno VeSota. Sandra Giles co-stars as the brassy blonde who drives fast and steals Daddy-O's heart. Also featuring Gloria Victor, Ron McNeil, Tipp McClure, and Hank Mann as "Barney". Terrible acting, an even worse script, and amateurish direction make this travesty well worth seeing for cinema masochists. John Williams is credited with his first film score, before he won his five Oscars.

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Daddy-O (1958)  -  3/10

71vHPIoLAVL._SX425_.jpg

Incredibly bad but entertaining crime picture starring Dick Contino as a rock singer (stage name "Daddy-O") who gets mixed up with a heroin smuggling ring run by Bruno VeSota. Sandra Giles co-stars as the brassy blonde who drives fast and steals Daddy-O's heart. Also featuring Gloria Victor, Ron McNeil, Tipp McClure, and Hank Mann as "Barney". Terrible acting, an even worse script, and amateurish direction make this travesty well worth seeing for cinema masochists. John Williams is credited with his first film score, before he won his five Oscars.

DICK CONTINO, the accordionist?? LMREO!

47 minutes ago, Hibi said:

DICK CONTINO, the accordionist?? LMREO!

Now you might not be old enough to remember this Hibi, but back in '58 many accordionists were considered fairly bada$$ed and hip dudes!

(...and it wouldn't be until around '60 or '61 when Myron Floren would charge their image forever!)

;)

14 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow...glad you clarified you "liked it" because it sounds utterly ridiculous. Why would anyone parody several very different shows? (sounds horrible!) \

3 hours ago, kingrat said:

I'd like to see the full production of Ruthless! the Musical. The song I've heard from it is hilarious, as the mother-turned-reluctant-star wishes she could go back to the more fulfilling life of ironing clothes, etc.

Why are they (kitschily) parodying old-movie iconic 50's potboilers about Mildred-Pierce/Mama Rose moms and Bad-Seed kids?  Keep in mind it's an off-Broadway musical...'Nuff said.  Just hint that they might be spoofing You-Know-Who Dearest, and watch the Lorna Hanson Forbeses come running.  😓

(And if it's showing on BroadwayTV, and never got a movie, it's probably an obscure one that only had a few weeks.  I've never heard of the Harry-Potter-spoof OBM "Puffers: the Musical" either.)

On the subject of obscure musicals on streaming (and Amazon and/or double-paywalls at that), I remember seeing my first NYC Broadway musical as a kid in the early mid-70's, and for some reason, wanted to see Stephen Schwartz's The Magic Show, even though Doug Henning had already left the production by that point.  Was meh-okay--in addition to being the show that put me off of 60's/70's hippie Stephen Schwartz musicals--so I don't know whether I quite have the courage to watch an ancient Showtime concert production that Amazon Prime recently dug up from late-70's cable pre-history.  Just making the point that the musicals that never got to movies are usually the ones still floating around on cable video, unless they have corporate tie-ins like "Newsies" and "Shrek".

Damn Yankees (1958)  -  7/10

220px-Damn_Yankees_1958.jpg

Musical sports fantasy about a middle-aged baseball fan who makes a deal with the devil (Ray Walston) to become a young man (Tab Hunter) with the skill and prowess to help his team win the World Series and beat those "damn Yankees". He meets with immediate success, but he begins to miss the company of his still-aged wife (Shannon Bolin), so the devil summons diabolical temptress Lola (Gwen Verdon) to distract the ball player. Also featuring Russ Brown, Nathaniel Frey, James Komack, Rae Allen, Robert Shafer, and Jean Stapleton. Directed by George Abbott & Stanley Donen, this was adapted from the stage hit with the intention of maintaining as much of the stage production as possible. I found the movie delightful, colorful and energetic, and Gwen Verdon gave one of my favorite performances that I've ever seen in a musical. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1