Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

I Just Watched...

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

(Donna Wilkes, star of 80's exploitation classic Angel)

This was one of the better 1980s exploitation films mostly due to the incredible cast:

Cliff Gorman ("The Boys In The Band")is a cop who tries to help teen hooker Angel and track down a psycho killer.

Dick Shawn (LSD in  the 1967 "The Producers") plays Angel's drag queen friend.

Susan Tyrell (Oscar nominee for "Fat City") is a lesbian landlady

Rory Calhoun as a former movie cowboy who walks the streets of Hollywood still in his cowboy garb and packing a pair of pistols.

• Like 2

Montana Moon (1930)

If you are searching for raw entertainment value, I'd look elsewhere. I give it 7/10 for its film history value.

This is Joan Crawford's second starring role in a talking film, and her character is basically the same as in "Our Dancing Daughters" and"Our Modern Maidens" - a wealthy carefree flapper type. Her acting is fine, pretty much proving that in Joan's career her being box office poison was the fault of the movies not her performance.

Released in March 1930, it was probably written and filmed at the end of 1929, so you have two things going on here. MGM is still trying to adapt to talking film since they were the last of the studios to do so, and The Great Depression hasn't started yet, so the roaring 20s are still roaring into the first part of 1930.

The film starts with Mr. Prescott, owner of a big ranch in Montana, taking a train out west to inspect his ranch, accompanied by his two flapper daughters Joan (Joan Crawford) and Elizabeth (Dorothy Sebastian). This appears to be a private train, and for some reason Prescott is letting his daughters bring along about two dozen of their partying friends. Believe me the WHY of the trip and the FROM of the trip I am having to make up, because at no point is it clear why the strictly business Mr. Prescott is in Montana in the first place!

Elizabeth confides in Joan that she knows Joan is used to taking men away from her, but that she really loves Jeff (Ricardo Cortez) and to please stay away from him. On the train Jeff constantly makes the moves on Joan, yet is affectionate towards Elizabeth. Joan hides this flirting from Elizabeth - again - WHY? - Wouldn't she want her sister to know this guy is a snake?

Instead, Joan gets off of the train in the middle of the night in Leland, Montana (that is what the sign says), sends a telegram to her family to let them know she is OK, buys a train ticket back to New York from Skeletor (the guy is really bizarre looking), and then just forgets all about the train when she runs into cowboy Larry (Johnny Mack Brown). Again, WHY? She ends up "riding fences" with him for three weeks - that is Larry's
job - without him knowing that she is the boss' daughter. At some point he must find out though, because they marry and go to the Montana lodge where her family is staying along with all of those partiers she inflicted on her father and then abandoned, and the trouble for the newlywed couple begins as a real clash of cultures and values.

This will get really long if I talk about everything that is wrong with this film, but for one it is just too long and slow. It is a 90 minute film I could have easily placed into a sixty minute running time. There are also a bunch of left over silent characters that MGM still can't figure out what to do with, some actors they hired specifically for sound but then found out that they didn't work out, and the problem that all of the studios had thinking musical numbers would improve any film. One problem rather unique to MGM - what they thought would be funny in their early sound films simply isn't. For example, Benny Rubin is playing a doctor from the east. I guess he is supposed to be doing some kind of comedy routine with Cliff Edwards, because his reason for being in this film is just a great big unfunny question mark.

Among the tragedies is silent film star Karl Dane playing a bit part here - his heavy Danish accent made him unintelligible. Johnny Mack Brown's deep southern voice did not go with his already established film persona, and letting him cover it with a Western accent I guess was a last ditch attempt to keep him on the A list at MGM. It didn't work as he was replaced with Clark Gable in several planned roles the following year.

And even then, all of this might have worked out if the screenplay had not been incomprehensible. Sylvia Thalberg, Irving Thalberg's sister, was responsible in this case, and after this she didn't go very far in screenwriting. Nepotism doesn't always work out as well as it did with Norma Shearer's brother, Douglas, who was the Oscar winning head recording engineer at MGM from the dawn of sound until he retired in the 1960s.

So there's plenty to see for the student of early talking film. For all others I would find something else to occupy your time.

Source: TCM

• Thanks 1

The Beat Generation (1959)  -  5/10

220px-BeatGenerationLOC.jpg

Lurid crime drama with Ray Danton as a serial rapist and beat club enthusiast who's being pursued by cop Steve Cochran. Things get even uglier when Danton targets Cochran's wife Fay Spain. Also featuring Jackie Coogan (who doubled as dialogue coach) as Cochran's partner, Irish McCalla as Coogan's wife (!!!), Mamie Van Doren, Jim Mitchum, Ray Anthony, Maxie Rosenbloom, Dick Contino, Margaret Hayes, Cathy Crosby, Norman Grabowski, Louis Armstrong, Guy Stockwell, William Schallert, and Vampira. This is often corny in that squares-trying-to-be-hip sort of way, but it's still an interesting time capsule. There's also a lot of boundary-pushing dialogue on a number of hot-button topics.  

• Like 4

On 3/22/2019 at 6:49 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

REDRUM!

REDRUM!

DANNY ISN'T HERE MRS. TORRANCE.

I see dead people!

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I see dead people!

welcome back...!? seems like you've been MIA of late....or am i wrong?

and also, in the CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE dept., DARGO made the SIXTH SENSE reference right after me.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Lurid crime drama with Ray Danton as a serial rapist and beat club enthusiast who's being pursued by cop Steve Cochran. Things get even uglier when Danton targets Cochran's wife Fay Spain. Also featuring Jackie Coogan (who doubled as dialogue coach) as Cochran's partner, Irish McCalla as Coogan's wife (!!!), Mamie Van Doren, Jim Mitchum, Ray Anthony, Maxie Rosenbloom, Dick Contino, Margaret Hayes, Cathy Crosby, Norman Grabowski, Louis Armstrong, Guy Stockwell, William Schallert, and Vampira. This is often corny in that squares-trying-to-be-hip sort of way, but it's still an interesting time capsule. There's also a lot of boundary-pushing dialogue on a number of hot-button topics.  

You left out Woo Woo Grabowski from the credits.

This is must-see trash, especially when cops Coogan and Sid Melton go under cover as broads.

Coming this fall:  Ray Danton IS Ben Dover, Proctologist:

FBqmKsP.png

• Haha 2

The Big Operator (1959)  -  6/10

the-big-operator-movie-poster-1976-10206

I was lucky enough to follow up The Beat Generation with this other 1959 release from producer Albert Zugsmith. Mickey Rooney is the crooked head of a workers' union. He's under investigation, and worker Steven Cochran is going to testify against him, so Rooney and his goons start trying to muscle him into silence. Also featuring Mamie Van Doren as Cochran's wife, Jay North as their kid, Ray Danton as Rooney's chief leg-breaker, Jackie Coogan, Jim Backus, Mel Torme, Leo Gordon, Don "Red" Barry, Ray Anthony, Charles Chaplin Jr., Lawrence Dobkin, Norman Grabowski, and Vampira. This one isn't as outrageous as the previous film, but it's perhaps better made. They're both fun, often shocking, bits of late-50's Americana. 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

welcome back...!? seems like you've been MIA of late....or am i wrong?

and also, in the CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE dept., DARGO made the SIXTH SENSE reference right after me.

I missed Dargo's Sixth Sense reference.  Sorry Dargo!

I've been lurking.  It's been a really busy month for me.  I had to take my husband to the ER at the end of February and consequently spent two days in the hospital with him while he had surgery.  Then I traveled to California for a week for work, it was my sister's birthday a couple days ago... it's been busy.  I'm going on vacation (to California) in a little less than two weeks... whew.  I'm trying to catch up though.  I'm looking forward to Lady in the Lake on Noir Alley tonight. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Man with a Camera - Season One (1958-1959)

260px-Charles_Bronson_Man_With_a_Camera_

Charles Bronson stars in this half-hour TV series that aired on ABC. He plays a freelance photographer who gets mixed up in various troubles while looking for his next photo subject. These include celebrities in trouble, a boxer dealing with crooked fight fixers, a deaf girl who witnessed a murder, an angry mob on a hot night looking to kill a guy, con artists, death row prisoners, and even trips to Portugal and Rome. The only other recurring cast member was Ludwig Stossel as Bronson's immigrant father. The guest cast included Angie Dickinson, Tom Laughlin, Ruta Lee, Frank Faylen, Grant Williams, Audrey Dalton, Yvette Vickers, and Harry Dean Stanton. William Castle directed one of the 15 episodes.

Been catching this on The Film Detective Channel, I've liked the ones I've seen. I'm also getting a kick out of Jack Webb's Dragnet the 1950s series version, they remind me of many L. A. set Film Noir police procedurals.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yea a time capsule.

Dialog sample:

Meg: I wish I didn't have to make the scene with that plane tonight. I wish I never had to go back East. I wish I wish....
Hess: Hey hey play it cool chick, like play it like cool. You got to go, everybody's got to move. I mean we can't stand still and wait for the next mushroom cloud now you dig.
Meg: Crazy, but as soon as I cut out you'll forget me.
Hess: Oh Meg you're the most, but there's no tomorrow not while the sky grooves radiation gumdrops, man you got to live for kicks, right here and know that's all there is.
Meg: You know in all the months I've know you, you never even held my hand.
Hess: The love and marriage bit I put that down. That's for the Rat Race and the squares, Schopenhauer says and I agree with him, lovers are traitors who seek to perpetuate the whole want and drudgery of life..... That cat Schopenhauer also says that this world which is so real with all it's sunsets and milky ways is nothing.
Meg: It's the only world we got.
Hess: Crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Blue Denim (1959)  -  6/10

BlueDenim1.jpg

Teen drama with Brandon deWilde and Carol Lynley as teenagers in love. Things get real when Carol gets pregnant, and the duo grow desperate to "solve" the situation. Also featuring Warren Berlinger, Macdonald Carey, Marsha Hunt, Buck Class, Nina Shipman, Vaughn Taylor, Roberta Shore, Mary Young, and William Schallert. This was more serious and competent than I expected, a decent look at universal experiences, fears, and the era before the Pill and Roe v Wade. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Blue Denim (1959)  -  6/10

BlueDenim1.jpg

Teen drama with Brandon deWilde and Carol Lynley as teenagers in love. Things get real when Carol gets pregnant, and the duo grow desperate to "solve" the situation. Also featuring Warren Berlinger, Macdonald Carey, Marsha Hunt, Buck Class, Nina Shipman, Vaughn Taylor, Roberta Shore, Mary Young, and William Schallert. This was more serious and competent than I expected, a decent look at universal experiences, fears, and the era before the Pill and Roe v Wade. 

This was a huge hit on Broadway with Burt Brinkerhoff and Carol Lynley.

Crime and Punishment, USA (1959)  -  6/10

crime-and-punishment-usa-800x585.jpg?w=6

Interesting Americanized version of the Dostoevsky novel. George Hamilton (in his debut) stars as a young man who kills a pawnshop proprietress. His cocky self-assurance is challenged by wily police detective Frank Silvera. Also featuring Mary Murphy, Marian Seldes, John Harding, Wesley Heffley, and Toni Merrill. Hamilton isn't bad in his first film role, and his sharp, preppy looks befit the elitist character. Silvera has the best role though, and it's one I would rank with the best supporting roles of the year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Graduation Day (1981)  -  3/10

MV5BNWYxNjM4MGYtNmY1My00MzAyLTg5ODctZDUy

Another in the glut of slasher movies released in the wake of Halloween and Friday the 13th, this is one is set over the course of a few days leading up to a high school graduation. A few months earlier a track star died on the field during a competition, and now a mystery killer is picking off the other members of the track team. Featuring Patch Mackenzie as the dead girl's sister, Christopher George as the over zealous track coach, Michael Pataki as the principal, Carmen Argenziano, Linnea Quigley, E. Danny Murphy, E.J. Peaker, Virgil Frye, Bill Hufsey, and Vanna White. Not much to see here, although fans of cult actress Quigley will get an eyeful. The scene of the school dance, where the students have the option of rollerskating around the horrible musical act named "Felony", is memorably awful.

Vanna White, on the right, learning that she will spend over 30 years of her future with Pat Sajak.

vannawhite.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cry for the Strangers (1982)  -  5/10

250px-Cry_for_the_Strangers.jpg

TV-movie adaptation of the novel by John Saul. Patrick Duffy and Cindy Pickett star as a couple who move to the Pacific Northwest to a sleepy little fishing village and a large house overlooking the ocean. They soon learn that sinister things are afoot, as the town has a history of being hostile to strangers, and it may have something to do with the supposedly haunted beach below their new home. Also featuring Lawrence Pressman, Claire Malis, Jeff Corey, Shawn Carson, Robin Ignico, Martin Kove, Parley Baer, and Brian Keith. There are some interesting bits here and there, but the overall movie is a bit too blah. Director Peter Medak helmed the superior ghost movie The Changeling just two years earlier, but this is a far cry from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zombie High (1987)  -  5/10

220px-Zombie_High.jpg

Mildly amusing horror comedy featuring Virginia Madsen as a new student at an exclusive prep school. She soon discovers that something is amiss, as formerly rebellious students become emotionless and studious overnight. Featuring Richard Cox, James Wilder, Sherliynn Fenn, Paul Feig, Scott Coffey, Clare Carey, and Kay Kuter. This was a USC student film that got a theatrical release and a large video release, so a lot of people saw this, more so than many student films. While it's no one's idea of a polished masterpiece, it's pretty impressive as a student film, and it looks as good as most of the "B" level features of the day. And don't let the title fool you: this is more of a "Stepford Prep School" than a brain-munching zombie flick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Zombie High (1987)  -  5/10

220px-Zombie_High.jpg

Mildly amusing horror comedy featuring Virginia Madsen as a new student at an exclusive prep school. She soon discovers that something is amiss, as formerly rebellious students become emotionless and studious overnight. Featuring Richard Cox, James Wilder, Sherliynn Fenn, Paul Feig, Scott Coffey, Clare Carey, and Kay Kuter. This was a USC student film that got a theatrical release and a large video release, so a lot of people saw this, more so than many student films. While it's no one's idea of a polished masterpiece, it's pretty impressive as a student film, and it looks as good as most of the "B" level features of the day. And don't let the title fool you: this is more of a "Stepford Prep School" than a brain-munching zombie flick.

Whatever happened to Richard Cox?

MV5BOTAzODdmZmItOTI3NC00NTk1LTk1N2EtYTZk

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rayban said:

Whatever happened to Richard Cox?

terrible shame, he was never able to rise.

(AS A STAR!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Graduation Day (1981)  -  3/10

vannawhite.png

One thing we know before tuning in, whichever girl is a virgin will still be there at the end of the film. Any of the others, bye bye! Amazing how these horror flicks (the slasher ones, in particular) always have not so subtle moral judgments about sexual promiscuity regarding women. Men, that's another story.

• Like 1

"Sweet November" - Robert Ellis Miller - 1968 -

starring Sandy Dennis and Anthony Newley -

It is extremely difficult to believe that the man who wrote "Summer of '42", a truly lovely movie, could have written "Sweet November", which is romantic tripe through and through -

the Sandy Dennis character, Sara, who invites needy men into her life on a month-only basis is in desperate need of a psychiatrist at least three times a week -

and the Anthony Newley character, Charlie, doesn't need her services - he is a successful businessman with a head on his shoulders -

so, this month-only relationship, is never believable or persuasive -

you don't hand over your life to a girl who needs psychiatric care -

the film has no charm and is not funny -

it's "sick" -

"spoiler alert" -

in the end, we learn that Sara is dying and wants to be remembered -

I'm sorry, but it doesn't "play" -

12 men a year for the rest of your (limited) time here on earth? -

moviegoers aren't idiots -

but Herman Raucher seems to think so - 

however, we must be kind, because he wrote "Summer of '42" -

sweet-november-drtheater-spotlight-880x3

• Like 2

Last night I revisited the 1988 film TUCKER, THE MAN & HIS DREAM. It had been so long since I had seen it and MrTiki had no idea about Tucker cars, so it was ready for a review. Luckily, I have a DVD of this rather hard-to-find Francis Ford Coppola movie.

The story is of an eccentric character Preston Tucker played perfectly by handsome, bombastic Jeff Bridges and Tucker's dream of making a different type of car. The entire plot revolves around his struggle, with close friends & family pitching in at every turn to bring the Tucker Torpedo to fruition and "Detroit's Big 3" trying to quash him. While the story is somewhat formulaic & predictable, it's the solid performances & stylish way it's told makes this so enjoyable.

The climactic last few minutes is the most memorable, but I won't spoil it for those who have never seen this film. Let's just say I've actually seen a few Tucker Torpedos in my life and this scene just about moved me to tears.

All the performances were solid, especially Jeff Bridges whom deservedly became one of our greatest leading actors. I love Joan Allen, who is just typecast as a post war housewife in too many films. This gal has RANGE, but rarely given parts outside this cartoony realm. MrTiki audibly gasped when he saw adolescent Christian Slater as Preston Tucker Jr and he also ID-ed Lloyd Bridges in an uncredited role as Senator. I enjoyed spotting Don (**** Sarducci) Novello as a publicist and child star Dean Stockwell as an older grizzled Howard Hughes. 

This movie was mostly made because Coppola & George Lucas are Tucker Torpedo owners. I think all entrepreneurs enjoy other entrepreneurs' stories, just like artists enjoy other artists' stories-there are always unique parallels to the "struggle", with "the man"/society all seemingly against your success. We both howled hearing a line about "...or someday we'll be buying cars from our enemies" (referring to WW2 enemy Japan)

I love this movie, especially the dramatic, innovative shots (like a "split screen" phone conversation achieved by camera trickwork) costumes, sets and dramatic, atmospheric lighting. Although I do feel the sets & costuming are a bit heavy handed at times, shoving the look of the late 40's in your face. Otherwise, there isn't much to dislike about this movie. Pretty much a crowd pleaser.

Tuckerposter.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

Amazing how these horror flicks (the slasher ones, in particular) always have not so subtle moral judgments about sexual promiscuity regarding women. Men, that's another story.

"If a woman sleeps with ten men, it means she is a s1ut. If a man does it, it means he is gay."

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Last night I revisited the 1988 film TUCKER, THE MAN & HIS DREAM. It had been so long since I had seen it and MrTiki had no idea about Tucker cars, so it was ready for a review. Luckily, I have a DVD of this rather hard-to-find Francis Ford Coppola movie.

Tucker was recently released on Blu-ray, so it's not as difficult to locate as it once was. I picked up a copy, but I haven't watched it yet, although I've seen the movie a few times. Very nice write-up, Tiki.

42652_large.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I enjoyed spotting Don (**** Sarducci) Novello as a publicist 

Wait ... now the censor is bleeping "Father G u i d o?"

• Haha 1

The Day the Earth Froze aka Sampo (1959)  -  5/10

220px-The_Day_the_Earth_Froze_poster_-_1

Finnish/Soviet co-production based on Finnish folk tales. In olden times, lumberjack Lemminkainen (Andris Oshin) falls in love with fair maiden Annikki (Eve Kivi). When the gal is kidnapped by evil witch Louhi (Anna Orochko), blacksmith Ilmarinen is forced to build a "sampo" (a magical device that creates salt and gold out of thin air) to win her release. This is another interesting international production that was later bought by AIP, edited into near incoherence and badly dubbed. Regardless, I always like seeing the folk stories and legends of other cultures dramatized, and this one has several memorable images.

Sampo-10.jpg

Sampo-8.jpg

Sampo-3.jpg

• Like 1